As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Putting my DVDs on my computer

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So after getting used to Netflix streaming movies to my 360 I want to start getting the DVDs I own and put them on my computer. I already have some vids and music that I stream from my computer to my 360 or PS3 so I know how to do that.

Question is what do I use to get media off the DVD into a nice catorgorized and reasonable sized files with quality vidoe and audio? Of course I want a totally legal program to do this.

Also I will be buying a 1.5TB to hopefully get all my DVDs on with some room to spare in the future. Adequate size?

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What do you mean by legal?, they only way it is legal to rip a dvd is when there is no encryption on it, and even this could be contested. Even the ones that cost money are using some illegal way to accomplish the final goal.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh my mistake then. I had heard dudes doing this by digitizing their DVD library away from physical media for their media theater PCs.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're allowed to make digital/backup copies of your media as long as your intent is not to distribute it. Doing this for a media PC is probably well within your rights as a consumer and, really, honestly, no one is going to come after you for it unless you start distributing it.

So don't do illegal shit and you won't get slapped with fines and jail. That said, a lot of discs are now coming with a digital copy disc (which may not benefit you for what you're doing because of they usually install a whole bunch of garbage and the like). You may want to look into 'CloneDVD' products.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Most burning software has some sort of option for it.

Legal though, that's up in the air. Might even depend on where you live.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    More DVD's need to start including digital copies paired with their physical copies. I know a few do, but they should all be doing it.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I have a few blu-rays that have digital copies but I have been just putting them aside.

I just thought I throw this up here since I read a few PAers doing the same thing and since piracy is verboten here I thought there was a legal means of doing this.

Sometimes I just want to watch one episode of the Simpsons or Seinfeld but dont want to dig through disks to find the right episode.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DRM: Wikipedia article
    - Laws regarding DRM
    The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is an extension to United States copyright law passed unanimously on May 14, 1998, which criminalizes the production and dissemination of technology that allows users to circumvent technical copy-restriction methods. Under the Act, circumvention of a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work is illegal if done with the primary intent of violating the rights of copyright holders. (For a more detailed analysis of the statute, see WIPO Copyright and Performances and Phonograms Treaties Implementation Act.)

Reverse engineering of existing systems is expressly permitted under the Act under specific conditions. Under the reverse engineering safe harbor, circumvention necessary to achieve interoperability with other software is specifically authorized. See 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f). Open-source software to decrypt content scrambled with the Content Scrambling System and other encryption techniques presents an intractable problem with the application of the Act. Much depends on the intent of the actor. If the decryption is done for the purpose of achieving interoperability of open source operating systems with proprietary operating systems, the circumvention would be protected by Section 1201(f) the Act. Cf., Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Corley, 273 F.3d 429 (2d Cir. 2001) at notes 5 and 16. However, dissemination of such software for the purpose of violating or encouraging others to violate copyrights has been held illegal. See Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 2000).

If I'm interpretting this correctly.....

It's legal for you to 'reverse-engineer' to achieve interoperability with other software with proprietary operating systems..

It is illegal for us to give you any software for the express purpose of circumventing it.

My hands are tied.

Go ask your question elsewhere and good luck.

Fubear on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Handbrake
    - for unecrypted DVD sources

Fubear on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fubear wrote: »
    DRM: Wikipedia article
    - Laws regarding DRM
    The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is an extension to United States copyright law passed unanimously on May 14, 1998, which criminalizes the production and dissemination of technology that allows users to circumvent technical copy-restriction methods. Under the Act, circumvention of a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work is illegal if done with the primary intent of violating the rights of copyright holders. (For a more detailed analysis of the statute, see WIPO Copyright and Performances and Phonograms Treaties Implementation Act.)

Reverse engineering of existing systems is expressly permitted under the Act under specific conditions. Under the reverse engineering safe harbor, circumvention necessary to achieve interoperability with other software is specifically authorized. See 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f). Open-source software to decrypt content scrambled with the Content Scrambling System and other encryption techniques presents an intractable problem with the application of the Act. Much depends on the intent of the actor. If the decryption is done for the purpose of achieving interoperability of open source operating systems with proprietary operating systems, the circumvention would be protected by Section 1201(f) the Act. Cf., Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Corley, 273 F.3d 429 (2d Cir. 2001) at notes 5 and 16. However, dissemination of such software for the purpose of violating or encouraging others to violate copyrights has been held illegal. See Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 2000).

If I'm interpretting this correctly.....

It's legal for you to 'reverse-engineer' to achieve interoperability with other software with proprietary operating systems..

It is illegal for us to give you any software for the express purpose of circumventing it.

Only if the OP intends to violate copyright, which he does not. On the face of it this is not a correct interpretation of the legislation, else Microsoft - giant, imminently suable - would not be able to include ripping functionality for music CDs in WMP.

OP, to copy DVDs that you own to your HD for your own personal use, use ETA - content deleted.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    vaultdweller0013vaultdweller0013 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Only if the OP intends to violate copyright, which he does not. On the face of it this is not a correct interpretation of the legislation, else Microsoft - giant, imminently suable - would not be able to include ripping functionality for music CDs in WMP.

OP, to copy DVDs that you own to your HD for your own personal use, use ETA - content deleted.

CD's are not encrypted therefore the DMCA does not apply; they contain no means for effectively controlling access to the content. Therefore, anyone can write and distribute tools for copying the information off of a CD without violating the DMCA.

vaultdweller0013 on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm, good point. I'll delete my suggestion. If you could do the same from your quoted material, I'd appreciate it.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_