Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

A Larval Lark

.Tripwire..Tripwire. FirmanRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I had this piece of luggage next to my bed that I hadn't moved for like, months. Because my room is tiny and I wasn't travelling. Today I moved it, and found underneath some kind of larva just chillin' out on the carpet.

This was exactly the trigger I needed to launch me into a hysterical fit of paranoia. At first I thought it was a maggot, and still am unsure. I eat at my computer often, things like crackers or granola or chips, so itty crumbs end up on the floor now and then. I clean, and if they're too small for me to notice I figure I'll just get 'em the next time I vacuum.

I scoured the carpet, thoroughly investigated every nook of the luggage, peeled off each layer of my bedding cautiously, checked underneath the five month old piece of steak I keep under the mattress (IT'S A JOKE) and couldn't find any more.

It was white, a centimeter long, and writhed its ends which made it just sort of flop around. I did some cursory reading on the Internet. Research proved to only fuel my paranoia because a lot of sites like to discuss the worst case scenario, which in this case could be a TYPE OF MAGGOT THAT INFILTRATES YOUR BODY AND BORES ITS WAY OUT OF YOUR FLESH WHEN DONE FEEDING WHAT THE FUCK. But I also read that maggots are fast crawlers apparently? Well this specimen knew I was coming for it and barely flopped a millimeter away.

So. Is this a domestic occurence more common than I realize? If I find one larva, how likely is it there's a scrambly pile of them somewhere I haven't uncovered? Are there ever lone insect spawns, or is there a heap of eggs that could be invisible to me? What is a reasonable extent of investigation? Do I have to go unfold every item of clothing I own? Why are larva so GROSS? Fuck!

I'm scared of going to bed tonight and waking up like this:
Spoiler:

.Tripwire. on
sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png