As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: Sorry guys, I won't be the one renewing this thread.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Actually lots of versions of DotA had custom textures and models for some of the heroes.

Also a map called Tides of Blood which was similar to DotA had a bunch of custom art assets.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I've said this before, but Tides of Blood was so much better then DOTA, despite the latter being vastly more popular.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I've said this before, but Tides of Blood was so much better then DOTA, despite the latter being vastly more popular.

So long as there is minimal community cross-over, just about anything will be better than playing DOTA.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With the DotA clones draining people away from Battle.Net and no official port being done, now's the time for some fresh blood to take over with new maps. Obviously someone is going to do a straight rip of DotA, but I'm hoping it won't take hold. HoN does the job just fine.

Zek on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HoN ain't going to last when it comes up against SC2 dota and icefrog's new project.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    HoN ain't going to last when it comes up against SC2 dota and icefrog's new project.
    I very highly doubt that Icefrog's project will be a DotA clone to satisfy DoTA fans, like HoN is. I really don't see Valve making a game like that. Frankly I'd be surprised if it was even as hardcore as LoL. Also SC2's DotA may or may not be well made and it won't have nearly the feature set HoN does.

Zek on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm interested in the first person types of maps that might end up, if the previews of the robustness of the editor have still carried over. The idea of a Starcraft RPG-esqu campaign just sounds :drool:

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm interested in the first person types of maps that might end up, if the previews of the robustness of the editor have still carried over. The idea of a Starcraft RPG-esqu campaign just sounds :drool:

Someone needs to make the SC equivalent of Barkley Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden, complete with turn based combat.

TheStig on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dota hate up in this shit. Screw you guys. Dota is an amazing game.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheBog wrote: »

We're not saying it's not an amazing game. The community is what makes it awful to play.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Dota so easy. Need like 4 apm.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

We're not saying it's not an amazing game. The community is what makes it awful to play.

I'm saying it's not an amazing game. It is slow paced non persisted level grind with item combinations that are needlessly obtuse. It wasn't the only game of its genre floating around on the Battle.net at the time and it wasn't the best either.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

Dota so easy. Need like 4 apm.

And 4 apm is probably the limit to non-hardcore RTS players. You know, the ones who like to turtle up and don't attack, massing carriers and battle cruisers in SC 1 because they look cool. I'm not saying that they are stupid or anything but not everyone plays the game for competition. The spectacle and single player are probably two other good reasons people actually played SC before the competitive scene.

Now the hard part for DotA games is actually convincing your teammates to act exactly according to some plan.

I remember once while playing DotA, we ended up with 2 leavers on our team because we were losing. Me and my friend decided to take two heroes each and we managed to win because multitasking on two heroes ended up much better when our teams clashed because noone was being retarded anymore.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed SC1's campaign and am quite looking forward to SC2's.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SC1's campaign is awful. I've tried 3 times and I don't think I've ever finished it. snorefest of a gameplay.

Fuga on
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    SC1's campaign is awful. I've tried 3 times and I don't think I've ever finished it. snorefest of a gameplay.

I dunno, I played most of the Terran campaign last weekend and it was kinda fun just seeing how fast I could slam through the missions.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It was a pretty standard campaign at the time. I haven't played it in years but if I remember correctly it was just a bunch of "here are you units and buildings, you can only build these units, now go kill X target and or survive for X minutes."
    I suspect there will be more to the SC2 missions.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I get my ass kicked in single player still.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    It was a pretty standard campaign at the time. I haven't played it in years but if I remember correctly it was just a bunch of "here are you units and buildings, you can only build these units, now go kill X target and or survive for X minutes."

Yeah pretty much. They do mix it up a little, like there's one mission where there's a crashed battleship with a few scvs and goliaths in the middle of the zerg base, and you have to keep it alive until you build up your dudes and get to it. Or the one I'm on now there are Protoss and Zerg on the map, and you have to take out the Protoss without destroying any Zerg buildings.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bluefoot wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah pretty much. They do mix it up a little, like there's one mission where there's a crashed battleship with a few scvs and goliaths in the middle of the zerg base, and you have to keep it alive until you build up your dudes and get to it. Or the one I'm on now there are Protoss and Zerg on the map, and you have to take out the Protoss without destroying any Zerg buildings.

This mission is fun to play when you try to build so that you survive the zerg rush at the ending. I just about manage to not lose a building/unit by the time the mission complete screen pops up.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    I very highly doubt that Icefrog's project will be a DotA clan to satisfy DoTA fans, like HoN is. I really don't see Valve making a game like that. Frankly I'd be surprised if it was even as hardcore as LoL. Also SC2's DotA may or may not be well made and it won't have nearly the feature set HoN does.

I don't know how you could think Valve would hire icefrog to do anything other than what he's good at and what people want him to do. And icefrog isn't the type to take a job just because. I'm pretty sure he's said that Valve is giving him creative control anyway.

And what can HoN do that SC2 can't? The only thing HoN has over WC3 right now are matchmaking features and lobby UI. Battle.net 2.0 will have that stuff. Blizzard has confirmed that you will be able to form groups for custom maps, and there are enough elo and stat tracking sites for dota already that it's not a stretch to imagine they'll carry over and be stronger for it.

Starcraft's campaign is fun if only for how terribly balanced it is. I remember for Protoss especially you could win many missions by just rushing with your starting units. Good times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The missions with just units are pretty fun too, and the terran defense one probably inspired half the UMS games made.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The best level in the single player is the one where you have to survive for 30 minutes because you can actually go out and kill all the zerg, and when 30 minutes are up they're like OH GOD THERE ARE SO MANY ZERG GET US OUT OF HERE but they're all dead so they're screaming over nothing

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I remember last time I played that mission and wondering at how easy it was. Fun just for that.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    The best level in the single player is the one where you have to survive for 30 minutes because you can actually go out and kill all the zerg, and when 30 minutes are up they're like OH GOD THERE ARE SO MANY ZERG GET US OUT OF HERE but they're all dead so they're screaming over nothing

I want a level like this that never ends and just gets harder and harder until the game crashes from too much zerg.

Topia on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I, too, like doing nothing for 15 minutes when I replay a level.
    First time I played that level, I won with around 3 supply depots remaining as time ran out.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So you want a Starship Troopers map?

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    The missions with just units are pretty fun too, and the terran defense one probably inspired half the UMS games made.

I love a just units mission here and there. I'm sure we will see a just one ghost mission, it's like an RTS requirement. Like you will just have your ghost and you need to nuke something before your scvs can come in and start building your base.

TheStig on
  • Options
    RPGabeRPGabe Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I just wrapped up another afternoon of research and blog posting, this time about Terran Wall-Ins and what kind of SCV numbers you need to keep a wall up if it's under attack.

If you're interested in seeing images of how to make walls on most of the current maps, check out the post on Terran Advantage called Terran Feng Shui.

The interesting finding was that each Terran building and unit has a set repair rate, and there's no specific correlation between that rate and the building or units hitpoints. For instance, a SCV repairs a Command Center for about 14 Health Per Second (HPS) on Faster, but a Planetary Fortress is repaired at a rate of closer to 9 HPS.

I did some testing against small groups of Zerglings/Zealots as well to figure out how many SCVs would be needed, in case they try and test your wall. The results make sense when compared with the Unit DPS chart that was posted recently.

SCVs repair Supply Depots (the weak link in a Terran Wall) at about a rate of 10 Health Per Second.

Zerglings do just shy of 10 DPS each on Faster, and Zealots do just under 20 DPS each on Faster. That means you need about 4-5 SCVs for every 6 Zerglings, and 1.5x to 2x SCVs for each Zealot.

Realistically you can get by with less because you'll probably have a few marines picking them off while they try to break through. Still, it's nice to know. 3-5 Zealots can show up reasonably early in a game and actually break the wall unless the Terran brings a significant amount of SCVs to keep it up.

There's more on the post if you're interested.

RPGabe on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RPGabe wrote: »
    I just wrapped up another afternoon of research and blog posting, this time about Terran Wall-Ins and what kind of SCV numbers you need to keep a wall up if it's under attack.

If you're interested in seeing images of how to make walls on most of the current maps, check out the post on Terran Advantage called Terran Feng Shui.

The interesting finding was that each Terran building and unit has a set repair rate, and there's no specific correlation between that rate and the building or units hitpoints. For instance, a SCV repairs a Command Center for about 14 Health Per Second (HPS) on Faster, but a Planetary Fortress is repaired at a rate of closer to 9 HPS.

I did some testing against small groups of Zerglings/Zealots as well to figure out how many SCVs would be needed, in case they try and test your wall. The results make sense when compared with the Unit DPS chart that was posted recently.

SCVs repair Supply Depots (the weak link in a Terran Wall) at about a rate of 10 Health Per Second.

Zerglings do just shy of 10 DPS each on Faster, and Zealots do just under 20 DPS each on Faster. That means you need about 4-5 SCVs for every 6 Zerglings, and 1.5x to 2x SCVs for each Zealot.

Realistically you can get by with less because you'll probably have a few marines picking them off while they try to break through. Still, it's nice to know. 3-5 Zealots can show up reasonably early in a game and actually break the wall unless the Terran brings a significant amount of SCVs to keep it up.

There's more on the post if you're interested.

Good article. I'd like to point out one thing though, the photo where marines are getting caught. That's entirely the fault of where the waypoint is being set from the building. If they set the waypoint somewhere else (say on the left side) and then set the waypoint where they actually wanted the marines to go (shift clicking) the marines wouldn't be getting stuck.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I am so terrible at this game.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

Just wait for the Zerg campaign.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fungal growth should do more damage. Also, the range on everything with the infestor sucks, and the low hp makes it very hard to do anything without dying.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fungal growth should do more damage. Also, the range on everything with the infestor sucks, and the low hp makes it very hard to do anything without dying.

Something really annoying that I noticed about infestors today is that they're too fat to work their way through your units. So if they get up front for some reason in a fight you have no hope of getting them to the back, they just squirm around in front of your hydras until they die.

Fungal growth should damage protoss health and not the shields imo.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I just had that problem on the space 1v1 map going through the shortcut.

I kept my hydras to one side at the start, but thne once things got heated they made and impentrable wall and I lost 4 infestors.

Although that wouldn't of been a problem if I had burrow like I thought I did.

I don't know why but this keeps happening to me, I am pretty sure I am queuing up upgrades but then later on they aren't researched. Also, at the start of the map, when I select my hatchery and s/d I've noticed a considerable amount of "lag", and it usually takes pressing it 4 or 5 times to get my first drone going.

edit: Also the inability to neural parasite flying units now severely dampened my "np his brood lords" strategy. Dats me!!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anyway, i'm hopping on the nerf roaches bandwagon because the 2 gas cancel double hatch roach pump is ridiculous. They really should be a 2 supply unit. Also no one is using the burrow/move any more, people just throw them in with the rest of their attack/move mass.

TheStig on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I am just getting worse and worse at this game. I haven't had a win in a good while. Long losing streaks are great at dampening enthusiasm for a game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do roaches really need a nerf, or do lings just need a buff?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hunter Seekers are <3

Gretorp blew up a 100-150 supply zerg army with 4 ravens. They're so amazing.

Aegis on
    Characters
This discussion has been closed.