As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: Sorry guys, I won't be the one renewing this thread.

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do roaches really need a nerf, or do lings just need a buff?

If lings got a buff it'd be like SC1's pre-patched 4pool rush all over again.

That is to say, six lings in your mineral line before your rax is half done.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do roaches really need a nerf, or do lings just need a buff?

If lings got a buff, roaches would still be better, simply because they counter all t1 units.
    Lings could use like 5 more hp though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I find lings to be awesome as they are. They are a really great harass unit that scales wonderfully with upgrades.

Roaches are terrible things that should be looked down upon with disgust and revile.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if roaches just need to be redesigned rather than nerfed. A nerf isn't going to really solve the problem and might just be replaced by a single other unit. Adding a new ability or tweaking the actual role of the roach might work better.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I wonder if roaches just need to be redesigned rather than nerfed. A nerf isn't going to really solve the problem and might just be replaced by a single other unit. Adding a new ability or tweaking the actual role of the roach might work better.

Yeah, well if i'm not mistaken their intended role was to harass, but now they're like a t1.5 ultralisk that receives the same damage upgrades that you give to your hydras.

TheStig on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, at the end of the day roaches are just...boring.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I forgot to build my pool at 13...whooooops.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hear bcs still beat carriers, so there is a little justice left in this world.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    I hear bcs still beat carriers, so there is a little justice left in this world.

You know what also beats carriers? Marines and medivacs.
    I don't know if they actually do, i'm just annoyed by this bland combo being so good at everything.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marines couldn't beat carriers in sc1, I doubt they can in sc2 where interceptors have more health and shields. The carriers themselves still have way too much armour.

And that SCLegacy guy's commentaries are so hard to watch. He's really bad. Do people just like them because they're in hd?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's a very cool game.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With a few ghosts in the marine ball for EMP I imagine they wouldn't have too much trouble vs carriers.

Slicer on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Marines couldn't beat carriers in sc1, I doubt they can in sc2 where interceptors have more health and shields. The carriers themselves still have way too much armour.

And that SCLegacy guy's commentaries are so hard to watch. He's really bad. Do people just like them because they're in hd?

generally they are actually pretty interesting games to watch

but the commentator is absolute shit i turn the audio off every time

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What the hell is up with the ELO system the past few days. Just got "evenly matched" against tasteless even though he's 200 points ahead of me.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What the hell is up with the ELO system the past few days. Just got "evenly matched" against tasteless even though he's 200 points ahead of me.

It believes in you man.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It believes in you man.

We believe in you man.

Don't let us down.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

It believes in you man.

We believe in you man.

Don't let us down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo

It should play this song every time a 1vs1 match up is found.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gretorp is playing Louder in a TvT match right now and it is amazing.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    is day[9] ever gunna post the liquibition vods gat damn

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Both of them now have half the map and it is turning into mass tank/thor/marine/viking against tank/thor/BCs.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010

dang hella thors/bcs

too bad the quality is so bad. Lzgamer has the best quality stream from what i've seen.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    iowa wrote: »

dang hella thors/bcs

too bad the quality is so bad. Lzgamer has the best quality stream from what i've seen.

Yea, it's not the best quality, but it's at least servicable.

Now they both have BC armies and noone can push the other. I have no idea how this will end.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OH MY GOD

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Usually if he uses his Livestream they get put up soon after. If they're not up by now then I don't think we're gonna be seeing them D:

Psyionic_Reaver has a better stream than Lz even. Too bad Psyionic is annoying as hell and just complains all day.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    holy shit BC battles certainly take a lot longer than they used to.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That BC battle was something else. Like wow.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure i've seen vikings wreck mass BC fleets. Why is he getting thors come on now.

iowa on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    where you watchin this

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He had thors from earlier on, so he stuck with that tech.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gretorp is streaming it on TL.net.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Elimination run!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Usually if he uses his Livestream they get put up soon after. If they're not up by now then I don't think we're gonna be seeing them D:

Psyionic_Reaver has a better stream than Lz even. Too bad Psyionic is annoying as hell and just complains all day.

He said they're gonna be up, but he's been sick so it's gonna take a while. He's even cancelling the daily for this week :cry:

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the sound of so many yamato cannons gives me such a boner

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

His stream is almost HDStarcraft quality I think, but I agree that he's pretty annoying. Everyone at EG is super annoying though, Lz is the most tolerable out of them.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    RPGabeRPGabe Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    RPGabe wrote: »
    I just wrapped up another afternoon of research and blog posting, this time about Terran Wall-Ins and what kind of SCV numbers you need to keep a wall up if it's under attack.

If you're interested in seeing images of how to make walls on most of the current maps, check out the post on Terran Advantage called Terran Feng Shui.

The interesting finding was that each Terran building and unit has a set repair rate, and there's no specific correlation between that rate and the building or units hitpoints. For instance, a SCV repairs a Command Center for about 14 Health Per Second (HPS) on Faster, but a Planetary Fortress is repaired at a rate of closer to 9 HPS.

I did some testing against small groups of Zerglings/Zealots as well to figure out how many SCVs would be needed, in case they try and test your wall. The results make sense when compared with the Unit DPS chart that was posted recently.

SCVs repair Supply Depots (the weak link in a Terran Wall) at about a rate of 10 Health Per Second.

Zerglings do just shy of 10 DPS each on Faster, and Zealots do just under 20 DPS each on Faster. That means you need about 4-5 SCVs for every 6 Zerglings, and 1.5x to 2x SCVs for each Zealot.

Realistically you can get by with less because you'll probably have a few marines picking them off while they try to break through. Still, it's nice to know. 3-5 Zealots can show up reasonably early in a game and actually break the wall unless the Terran brings a significant amount of SCVs to keep it up.

There's more on the post if you're interested.

Good article. I'd like to point out one thing though, the photo where marines are getting caught. That's entirely the fault of where the waypoint is being set from the building. If they set the waypoint somewhere else (say on the left side) and then set the waypoint where they actually wanted the marines to go (shift clicking) the marines wouldn't be getting stuck.

You're correct - it is entirely the fault of the rally point. I was just illustrating that you don't want that to happen. You could use the shift queued rally points to have the units appear on the correct side of the barracks and then move down to the expansion below. It just has to be a conscious action by the player.

RPGabe on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Crota really is not that bad, he just talks really really fast and way too much but that isn't such a bad thing since I don't have SC2. HDStarcraft is the best though, good commentary, best quality and good games.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anybody online interested in some 1vs1 practice? >_>

EDIT: Tried some builds in ranked play, got my ass handed to me : \

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Every time I watch a templar heavy game, I think, why not clossi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZavKhooDD0

Pretty brutal. Why does a top tier player keep throwing units away against the plantery fortress?

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
This discussion has been closed.