As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Problem (8001050F) Seems To Be Fixed -- Try Your PS3!

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    By "turn your PS3 on", I assume they mean powering it up and going to that "select your log in" screen with the violin hum? Cause mine is always on, just on sleep mode with that red light in the corner.

I'm hoping they mean don't do anything that could change game saves or change game data, cos I was in the middle of a backup when they released that statement. I've also disabled the internet connection on the console. I figure/hope that should be enough to prevent something stupid from happening.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And now I'm scared to turn my PS3 on. Bugger - its a $600 schrodinger's cat.

I really don't want to fuck with it either - I have one of the old fully BC PS3s - I'd rather not lose it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, if you don't have a Slim, keep it off.

If you do...then enjoy.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last night my friend was trying to play Heavy Rain and was locked out and getting the error message. He asked me to test my PS3 and see if I could get in. Naturally, I turn it on and get the error. Hope I didn't screw myself over in the name of science.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The lack of info is kinda pissing me off. I kept trying to connect yesterday to get Borderlands patched up for some multiplayer. I kept getting that error, I kept googling it and also trying to find somewhere on Sony's site that has PSN network status.

Apparently I should have checked Sony's Twitter? No, just no.

It still doesn't say anything about the error if you go to the PS3 and PSN support pages. I figured they would at least say something like, "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuckfuckfuck."

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man i'm glad I stuck with my "don't turn the ps3 on" policy last night, hopefully this will get fixed tomorrow and i'll be good to go and see no diffrence

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    orpheus wrote: »
    The lack of info is kinda pissing me off. I kept trying to connect yesterday to get Borderlands patched up for some multiplayer. I kept getting that error, I kept googling it and also trying to find somewhere on Sony's site that has PSN network status.

Why no? The twitter feed allows them to get out information as quickly as possible without having to mess with some douche that updates their web site. It should definitely be up on their site ASAP of course, but I can definitely see why Twitter would be much quicker.

Aoi on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phew, glad I checked G&T before firing up my PS3 today.

It's a fairly new fat, but I think I'll keep it off because I don't like my chances.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    man i'm glad I stuck with my "don't turn the ps3 on" policy last night, hopefully this will get fixed tomorrow and i'll be good to go and see no diffrence

Well, since it's a hardware issue, you're likely going to see a difference regardless. At this point they're saying keep it off so your saves don't die apparently. Those effected are all going to probably need to jump through a hoop or two once things are fixed.

Man I'm glad the couple stores I went to over the weekend were sold out of Heavy Rain :P

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

Why no? The twitter feed allows them to get out information as quickly as possible without having to mess with some douche that updates their web site. It should definitely be up on their site ASAP of course, but I can definitely see why Twitter would be much quicker.

I didn't check their Twitter. I don't Tweet or anything so it didn't come to mind. I don't mind that they're giving updating people on Twitter but why doesn't their actual website say anything?

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Well, since it's a hardware issue, you're likely going to see a difference regardless. At this point they're saying keep it off so your saves don't die apparently. Those effected are all going to probably need to jump through a hoop or two once things are fixed.

Man I'm glad the couple stores I went to over the weekend were sold out of Heavy Rain :P

oh i'm just hoping that as soon as i turn it back on, whenever that is, there will be a firmware update waiting for me

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I didn't check their Twitter. I don't Tweet or anything so it didn't come to mind. I don't mind that they're giving updating people on Twitter but why doesn't their actual website say anything?

Heh, I was just curious. Your initial post sounded like you were angry at the thought of even looking at Twitter. As far as the web site? Who the hell knows. It's a shame they don't have a single person front and center for publicity like Major Nelson. Say what you will about his potential shilldom, but if some stuff is going down on Live, you know pretty damned quick, and are updated regularly through the problem.

Aoi on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't MS offer a free download of a game as an apology for an outlage of live? Sony should consider doing something similar in this situation.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God, I really hope this issue requires a firmware patch to fix, and that it won't just fix itself on 3/2.

Because if it needs a firmware update to be functional, than that means that the techno-illiterate people who don't have their PS3s hooked up to the internet won't know it, which means that there will probably be a bunch of "broken" PS3s listed on craigslist within the next few days, one of which I could then scoop up for cheap.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Didn't MS offer a free download of a game as an apology for an outlage of live? Sony should consider doing something similar in this situation.

Yeah, but that was 2 weeks+ of Live just imploding constantly for damned near everyone on the service. In Sony's eyes, this is a certain smaller segment of their userbase that can still play at least some of their titles. It would be nice, but I don't see it happening unless it takes them a considerable amount of time to fix.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

We'll all automatically win The Tester. I can't wait to try that nutrient-rich sludge. :)

orpheus on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    original.jpg

I laughed. Nicely done sir.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Plus, Xbox Live is a paid service (for a portion of their userbase) and money talks. If the service is down, it's money still spent and the unhappiest complainers are the ones who paid. A free game sounds fair in that regard.

For this? Yeah, it's balls, but we don't pay a cent for their online services. People with corrupted saves and lost trophies are going to make the biggest stink, and I agree there should be some compensation, but a free download probably wouldn't make sense.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Plus, Xbox Live is a paid service (for a portion of their userbase) and money talks. If the service is down, it's money still spent and the unhappiest complainers are the ones who paid. A free game sounds fair in that regard.

For this? Yeah, it's balls, but we don't pay a cent for their online services. People with corrupted saves and lost trophies are going to make the biggest stink, and I agree there should be some compensation, but a free download probably wouldn't make sense.

Good point. Though man, had I bought Heavy Rain this weekend as I had planned, I would be pissed.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People with lost trophies are going to make the biggest stink

Their avatar in the Playstation Home universe will have its electronic penis increased in both size and girth.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, slims aren't affected but some fats aren't?

Just got home, my model number is: CECHH03. Anyone know if that's affected?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, slims are affected but some fats aren't?

I think it's more that Fats are and Slims aren't.

Not sure on the specific model numbers though. Has anyone found a chart that says "Affected/Not Affected" ?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmmm, yeah, just gonna keep it off for now. Good thing my PS3's been unplugged since Friday.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    KysennaKysenna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Other way around. Slim's aren't affected, some fats are. Like mine, for instance. :cry:

Here's hoping the fix is simple...

Kysenna on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »

Not sure on the specific model numbers though. Has anyone found a chart that says "Affected/Not Affected" ?

Oops, yeah.. meant to type aren't instead of are.

EDIT: May I suggest those of you who own a fat PS3 and are/are not affected to post your model number. That way we know for sure then and hopefully through a process of elimination can identify who is safe, apart from slim owners who are smug bastards who we all want to punch in the face.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phew at least Mass Effect 2 came in.

urahonky on
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm using a ps3 "80gig" phat CECHL01 model and running the 3.5 os with no problems at all. I picked it up soon after the slims were released.

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    I found this interesting, I may have to give it a whirl.

"Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 and the real time system clock to desync, messing up timing like Digital Rights Management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason.

This is the same CPU that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren't affected with this problem because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug, this cpu is always on even when your ps3 is powered off.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information"

Let me get this straight:

1. Sony buys batches of SYSCON chips from a vendor for the PS3.

2. Vendor discovers fatal date bug, fixes it in later versions.

Either the vendor never told Sony, in which case a certain vendor is about to lose one of its biggest clients, or somehow Sony let the warning note fall behind the fridge. Neither looks too good.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wonderful. I was actually playing my PS3 as the date switched, and I noticed that the trophies I had just gotten 20 minutes earlier weren't there anymore. Now I might even have corrupted saves on top?

Thanks for punishing me for playing your system, Sony

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God, I really hope this issue requires a firmware patch to fix, and that it won't just fix itself on 3/2.

Because if it needs a firmware update to be functional, than that means that the techno-illiterate people who don't have their PS3s hooked up to the internet won't know it, which means that there will probably be a bunch of "broken" PS3s listed on craigslist within the next few days, one of which I could then scoop up for cheap.

This sounds like a brilliant plan assuming these people don't have the brain power to look up the issue before blindly selling them online. Plus since the only consoles affected are those with pefect PS2 BC, you'd be getting even more of a deal.

Opty on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone know if I can play Darksiders while this stupid crap is going on?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

EDIT: May I suggest those of you who own a fat PS3 and are/are not affected to post your model number. That way we know for sure then and hopefully through a process of elimination can identify who is safe, apart from slim owners who are smug bastards who we all want to punch in the face.

Same model number as Grim, CECHH03, it is affected.

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Phew at least Mass Effect 2 came in.

I suppose I could go on my 360, but i've played ME2 to death. Insanity mode isn't fun (only achievement left), it's just shoot, take damage then duck down and recover. Rinse and repeat. Could play Halo 3 I guess, only played a tiny bit of it, never really liked first person shooters on consoles though.

Anyway, hopefully this will be fixed before Batman:AA arrives through my letterbox. Good thing I ordered it for free delivery which takes a few days.

EDIT:

Same model number as Grim, CECHH03, it is affected.

Oh Shit

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Opty wrote: »

This sounds like a brilliant plan assuming these people don't have the brain power to look up the issue before blindly selling them online. Plus since the only consoles affected are those with pefect PS2 BC, you'd be getting even more of a deal.

There are loads of consoles without BC that are wanged.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I turned on my slim this morning. It was working fine.

Sorry for everyone who's PS3 isn't working.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    I found this interesting, I may have to give it a whirl.

"Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 and the real time system clock to desync, messing up timing like Digital Rights Management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason.

This is the same CPU that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren't affected with this problem because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug, this cpu is always on even when your ps3 is powered off.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information"

Let me get this straight:

1. Sony buys batches of SYSCON chips from a vendor for the PS3.

2. Vendor discovers fatal date bug, fixes it in later versions.

Either the vendor never told Sony, in which case a certain vendor is about to lose one of its biggest clients, or somehow Sony let the warning note fall behind the fridge. Neither looks too good.

Sounds to me like a little from column A, a little from column B scenario. I highly doubt Sony would overlook a flaw that is doomed to fail 100% of the time, but could be fixed before anything happened. However, when over devices with the same hardware experienced the problem that needed fixing, someone over at HQ should have put 2 and 2 together and realized they have a problem.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mine is working fine. Minus you know. Heavy Rain not loading :(

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    ps3.png

:lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My XBox 360 has red-ringed.
    My PS3 is mostly unusable.
    My Wii escaped the bricking update but still makes a funny noise.

But with naught by a puff of air, I can still play Mario 1.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sony CEO: Alright Bill, don't make me sack your ass like I did Ted, do we have a fix for this thing yet?

Bill: Umn, sort of chief...

Sony CEO: Hit me with it!

Bill: Well the problem arises when the user tries to get noto PSN...

Sony CEO: Yeah

Bill: And you can only access the PSN whilst the console is on...

Sony CEO: Keep Talking...

Bill: So...we've told them not to turn their PS3's on...

Sony CEO: So let me get this straight, to shield people from having this problem, you have told them not to use the busted PS3's we sold them?

Bill: Umn, yes

Sony CEO: Bill, That strikes me as a noble endevour!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron