As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Problem (8001050F) Seems To Be Fixed -- Try Your PS3!

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My XBox 360 has red-ringed.
    My PS3 is mostly unusable.
    My Wii escaped the bricking update but still makes a funny noise.

But with naught by a puff of air, I can still play Mario 1.

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except my 360's drive has died rather than the console red ringing.

The Heavy Rain disc is staring at me, begging me to play it.

But no, my PS3 refuses.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except my 360's drive has died rather than the console red ringing.

But no, my PS3 refuses.

Sold my Wii.
    I'm waiting for my 360 to red ring on me, it's from 2007.. so it is bound to red ring any time now.
    I dare not power on my PS3 to even see if I'm affected.

It's funny, when there are multi platform games that are available for both the 360/PS3/PC I usually buy them for either the pc or PS3 and leave the 360 for the 360 exclusive stuff. So, for example GTA 4 PS3. Although the exception to that rule is Mass Effect 2 because I bought ME1 before it came out on the pc when everyone thought it was 360 only.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To whoever said that PS3 owners shouldn't be compensated because we don't pay for their online service...

No, but we certainly paid for the system. Which we are unable to use now. Due to something that is totally, 100% Sony's fault.

I'm not saying I demand recompense, I'm just saying I paid for a system that I now am unable to use. The fact that I don't pay them a monthly fee to access the network that allows me to use my hardware is irrelevant.

I'll survive regardless, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well.. I've pulled the battery out of my PS3. Sucker was hiding in there good. I'ma wait a few minutes and put it back in and put everything back together.. I guess I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is certainly worse than live going down for a bit.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

But no, my PS3 refuses.

Sold my Wii.
    I'm waiting for my 360 to red ring on me, it's from 2007.. so it is bound to red ring any time now.
    I dare not power on my PS3 to even see if I'm affected.

It's funny, when there are multi platform games that are available for both the 360/PS3/PC I usually buy them for either the pc or PS3 and leave the 360 for the 360 exclusive stuff. So, for example GTA 4 PS3. Although the exception to that rule is Mass Effect 2 because I bought ME1 before it came out on the pc when everyone thought it was 360 only.

Did you get your PS3 after August 2008? If so there's a chance it may not be bust, that's the manufacture date where it changed over (or so I read earlier). I seem to remember you having a PS3 as long as I have though so I'm afraid you'll likely have been hit too.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    This is certainly worse than live going down for a bit.

Depends on your perspective. You couldn't get on Live to play a game, to pick up Arcade titles, buy DLC, anything unless you were seriously lucky for over two weeks. It was frustrating as hell. Again, I'll definitely agree if this takes a few days to fix up (and I'll admit to not being as bent as I might be if I had more to play for now on the system), but it doesn't strike me as quite as bad YET.

Aoi on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my ps3 about a month before the slim came out. Hopefully I'm in the clear, but I can't bring myself to turn it on.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So no new news yet, apparently the latest update is:
    Sony have released an update to the PlayStation Network problem that has been affecting PS3 gamers throughout the course of the day, and have said they are one step closer to fixing the issue.

A PlayStation Community Manager has been keeping users updated on the status of the network, and has revealed that the problem should be fixed within the next 24 hours.

”We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have one of the above listed models, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data. ”

Unless of course you own a PlayStation “slim” with the 120/250GB HDD, which means you ’should’ be unaffected.

The 8001050F error seems to have effected a host of issues, which could result in the loss of data, unable to play games in an offline state or even changing the date as it has automatically been reset to Jan 1, 2000.

Again, it is strongly reminded that you DO NOT use your PlayStation 3 until the issue has been cleared up.

So exactly the same as the last several updates *le sigh*

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The PS3- Schrödinger's system of choice.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm just worried that people who turned their ps3 on during this problem will have to redownload all their DLC/psn games. When I first got this error last night trying to play Shatter I looked at "Information" for the game. (triangle menu) The owner field was blank...

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is even more embarrassing than I thought, especially since Sony's official stance is "Uh, shit! Don't use your system!" which equates to "don't play the system you bought".

edit: Especially since there hasn't been any reassurance that Sony will be able to fix peoples' corrupted whatnots and lost downloads. I smell class action lawsuit.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To whoever said that PS3 owners shouldn't be compensated because we don't pay for their online service...

No, but we certainly paid for the system. Which we are unable to use now. Due to something that is totally, 100% Sony's fault.

I'm not saying I demand recompense, I'm just saying I paid for a system that I now am unable to use. The fact that I don't pay them a monthly fee to access the network that allows me to use my hardware is irrelevant.

That was me.

Don't get me wrong - we all paid for our consoles and we're each demanding satisfaction, be it in the form of a fix, more information, anything really. But 2 weeks of a paid service being up sporadically versus a single day where there's an obvious problem and not an obvious solution (and yes, this could take more than a day, Sony gods forbid) are two different situations that get handled differently.

Would I love to see compensation? Absolutely. My previous comment was just that I don't think that a free game would work here like it did in the case of Xbox's Live services being faulty for 2 weeks.

At best, I would actually expect Sony to reset all accounts download limits, since some people are reporting broken or missing dynamic themes and DLC for games - actual data that was paid for and if it's still missing when this is fixed, to be restored with no hassle for those who'd paid and shouldn't have to download it again reducing those limits.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I can see a free PSN title coming out of this.

Rag Doll Kung Fu again.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That was me.

Don't get me wrong - we all paid for our consoles and we're each demanding satisfaction, be it in the form of a fix, more information, anything really. But 2 weeks of a paid service being up sporadically versus a single day where there's an obvious problem and not an obvious solution (and yes, this could take more than a day, Sony gods forbid) are two different situations that get handled differently.

Would I love to see compensation? Absolutely. My previous comment was just that I don't think that a free game would work here like it did in the case of Xbox's Live services being faulty for 2 weeks.

At best, I would actually expect Sony to reset all accounts download limits, since some people are reporting broken or missing dynamic themes and DLC for games - actual data that was paid for and if it's still missing when this is fixed, to be restored with no hassle for those who'd paid and shouldn't have to download it again reducing those limits.

Downloads on the same console shouldn't affect the five activations limit.

edit: Grinch, or even worse Pain.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »

That was me.

Downloads on the same console shouldn't affect the five activations limit.

edit: Grinch, or even worse Pain.

Calling All Cars :D Ya know, with its yanked PSN online mode. It would be fitting. :lol:

Aoi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can see a free PSN title coming out of this.

Rag Doll Kung Fu again.
    Or that game they gave away free for Venereal Disease.

I find this whole thing hilarious. It is like watching a train wreck except with Sony not really being at fault other than not giving much info on the problem.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so wait.

if I turned on my PS3. with the wireless disconnected (so i wouldn't autologin to PSN) would I be able to use the media server once I switched to a new user without a link to PSN?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so wait.

if I turned on my PS3. with the wireless disconnected (so i wouldn't autologin to PSN) would I be able to use the media server once I switched to a new user without a link to PSN?

Clarification... The problem isn't caused by connecting to PSN, but it effects PSN functionality. SO no, if you have a hosed system, it'll still be hosed regardless of it connecting to PSN first.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    nothing.gif
    It has something to do with the internal clock.
    Monday morning, Sony confirmed this to be the case. “We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system,” said Sony spokesperson Patrick Seybold in a statement emailed to media and posted on the company’s blog.

The bug only affects the early models of PlayStation 3 — Sony says that the “slim” model released in late 2009 is not affected. This is slim consolation since that means that the people affected the most are Sony’s most loyal customers, the early adopters.

Everyone’s PlayStation 3 retains limited functionality — games that aren’t pinging the clock on startup will work. But Sony is advising all owners of early-model PS3s to not use their consoles until the bug is fixed, because the clock’s issues could cause problems with saved game data or Trophies.

Sony said Monday that it hoped to fix the issue “within 24 hours.”

Then again, the same users that first theorized that the internal clock was the culprit have said that the issue could fix itself within 24 hours — specifically, at midnight GMT, when the clock rolls over to tomorrow’s date.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/apocalyps3/#ixzz0gxOpO354

Couscous on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so wait.

It seems that no one is sure of a workaround.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there. The basic advice from Sony is "Don't play your PS3 right now, we're trying to fix it."

If you've already been afflicted by this, then I'm not sure you can make it worse or fix it by being creative.

If you haven't been hit by it, I'd think it'd be better to not risk it...unless you really really really really really really really HAVE to play a PS3 game right now.

EDIT: Beaten and with better information above.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, if it is the clock, can't you just move the date up manually? Just tell it that today is March 1 and then everything would be ok. I'm guessing it is not as easy as that though.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shaggy wrote: »
    Wait, if it is the clock, can't you just move the date up manually? Just tell it that today is March 1 and then everything would be ok. I'm guessing it is not as easy as that though.

The problem appears to be that before you get the chance to mess with it...the clock does some calculation and borks itself right into 1999.

And by then, it appears to be too late. Some people are saying they've had luck changing the date, others are saying they haven't. All in all...too much stuff is out there being said and not enough facts.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I've heard the bug is probably similar to an old Zune bug.
    http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zune-news/38143-cause-zune-30-leapyear-problem-isolated.html
    After doing some poking around in the source code for the Zune’s clock driver (available free from the Freescale website), I found the root cause of the now-infamous Zune 30 leapyear issue that struck everyone on New Year’s Eve.

The Zune’s real-time clock stores the time in terms of days and seconds since January 1st, 1980. When the Zune’s clock is accessed, the driver turns the number of days into years/months/days and the number of seconds into hours/minutes/seconds. Likewise, when the clock is set, the driver does the opposite.

The Zune frontend first accesses the clock toward the end of the boot sequence. Doing this triggers the code that reads the clock and converts it to a date and time. Below is the part of this code that determines the year component of the date:
    *snip*

Under normal circumstances, this works just fine. The function keeps subtracting either 365 or 366 until it gets down to less than a year’s worth of days, which it then turns into the month and day of month. Thing is, in the case of the last day of a leap year, it keeps going until it hits 366. Thanks to the if (days > 366), it stops subtracting anything if the loop happens to be on a leap year. But 366 is too large to break out of the main loop, meaning that the Zune keeps looping forever and doesn’t do anything else.

The unfortunate part is that there isn’t anything that can be done to fix this besides somehow changing what the clock is set to (which is exactly what the battery disconnection trick ends up doing). On the other hand, it shows that Microsoft is correct: tomorrow, everyone’s Zunes will operate normally again. However, if Microsoft doesn’t fix this part of the firmware, the whole thing will happen all over again in 4 more years.. Hopefully by then a fix will be in place.
    The main difference is that the PS3 can neither feel love nor comprehend February 29th.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glad I didn't buy Heavy Rain or that Ferrari Challenge content I've been eyeing up, I don't even want to risk watching a blu ray tonight now!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any recommendations for the OP? Should I take the "Not a Conspiracy Guys!" part back out?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Patch coming soon. Till then party like its 1999"

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    greeble wrote: »

Okay, that's one amusing thing to come out of this. Bravo.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay. Full update from my end. Changing the date manually did NOT work.
    It got the seconds ticking again, but turning the PS3 off and back on actually set the clock right back to whatever I'd set it manually as. Games still won't work. PSN still won't work.

Pulled the thing apart, unhooked the battery for a while, plugged battery back in, threw it all back together. Works great. Right on turning on it asked me for date/time. Tossed those in. PSN signed on right away. Went and tried to update date and time from internet. Worked fine. Games work fine. Everything A-OK.

So a heads up for anyone interested in voiding their warranty. Unhooking the CMOS battery works fine. The little bugger is hiding though, if you haven't opened it up. You have to pull the whole board assembly out, and it's hiding on the bottom.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    greeble wrote: »

Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg

?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

OS clock vs system clock. The system clock reports Feb 29, the OS clock which does it's calculations of that, knows this is not possible and freaks the hell out. If you have ever messed with a computer, think of it as BIOS clock VS Windows clock. You can set the windows clock to whatever the hell you want and things are fine, mess with the BIOS clock and the system can go berserk.

If you want to fix it, you can remove the CMOS battery to clear the thing and then restart it. That seems to work, but there is no way to tell if the same thing won't happen again.

psychotix on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »

OS clock vs system clock. The system clock reports Feb 29, the OS clock which does it's calculations of that, knows this is not possible and freaks the hell out. If you have ever messed with a computer, think of it as BIOS clock VS Windows clock. You can set the windows clock to whatever the hell you want and things are fine, mess with the BIOS clock and the system can go berserk.

If you want to fix it, you can remove the CMOS battery to clear the thing and then restart it. That seems to work, but there is no way to tell if the same thing won't happen again.

Cracking open its hard plastic exterior to get at the creamy circuit center is not for the feint of heart, either.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    It got the seconds ticking again, but turning the PS3 off and back on actually set the clock right back to whatever I'd set it manually as. Games still won't work. PSN still won't work.

Pulled the thing apart, unhooked the battery for a while, plugged battery back in, threw it all back together. Works great. Right on turning on it asked me for date/time. Tossed those in. PSN signed on right away. Went and tried to update date and time from internet. Worked fine. Games work fine. Everything A-OK.

So a heads up for anyone interested in voiding their warranty. Unhooking the CMOS battery works fine. The little bugger is hiding though, if you haven't opened it up. You have to pull the whole board assembly out, and it's hiding on the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-snJ4STc0c

Everybody, just wait until March 2 GMT to do anything stupid.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is Y2K all over again.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure it will be possible for a soon-to-arrive software update to poll the system clock on startup, check if the value indicates it's stuck at 3/1/2010, and unstick it by writing a new value and reinitializing the console.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Cracking open its hard plastic exterior to get at the creamy circuit center is not for the feint of heart, either.

That's for sure. I didn't have the security-hex wrench to get the first screw out. (I used to.. Couldn't find one anywhere though X_X) So I ever-so-carefully eased a hack-saw into the top and cut away the retaining clip =)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah I didn't expect it to be that easy. Oh well, good thing I have my PS2 then.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Xaviar wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-snJ4STc0c

Everybody, just wait until March 2 GMT to do anything stupid.

Woo. Mine was not there at all. Well. It kind of was, but that shiny metal shell that battery was sitting on top of? Mine was underneath that. Not underneath like inside, on the board. No. underneath like that whole fucker has to come out of the casing underneath. The clips holding my battery in were different too.

Also it seems like his cover just snapped off.. Mine has to slide to the side, then lifts off.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    TBH it seems like this problem will be fixed soon but Id be quite content to get my 60GB switched out for a Slim; power saving, space saving, new 12 month warranty, i,proved build and I never really play PS2 games;

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll hang fire for a bit, I'm not adverse to opening consoles up and poking about but I've avoided it up to now with the PS3. Presumably they have the ability to reset the clock (similar to taking the battery out) via software.

Mr_Grinch on