As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »
    A bunch of dudes said you're all from Columbus (or thereabouts?)

I think we should form an independent squad.

Unless you're Ohio State fans.

Because, you know, fuck you.

Haha, I'm an alum, but hockey is my sport. So no worries there ;)

Also, should we be putting PA as our clan name for recognition on the server? Because being on the other side (without the PA in the name) really, really sucks.

Well, I've no vested interest, I'm originally from Pittsburgh... Pitt grad... but I digress.

Make sure you get me added to your friends list or whatever

On a side note: do you still play hockey around town in rec leagues? If so, we may have met.

DietarySupplement on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    strategery wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    The only vehicle I don't see people climb into very frequently, or is usually left sitting around for a decent amount of time, is the poor un-loved Bradley. I don't get why people shun that thing, it's a powerhouse if you use it right, especially with the secondary TOWs. It'll go toe to toe with just about anything. Not many people show it love though. Instead they opt for the pile of crap AA tank, and just spew grenades all over the place.

wut.

Bradley is king. Especially over that poser Russian BDM3.

I know right!! But every game I've played I always see that thing just sitting around until someone goes "oh fuck they're knocking on our front door, guess we outta use this shit." I fucking LOVE the bradley. I got the highest kill streak I ever achieved in the demo with it(42). Yet it sits around collecting dust and cob webs, while the AA tank gets jumped into immediately, and everyone fights over the tanks and UAV.

Weird, I just figured the dumbasses just jumped into whatever is closest :P

I think I need to purchase this. Rent may not be doing it for me... If it weren't for the whopping 4 total people on my Steam friends list playing it as opposed to over a dozen on my 360 list last night, I would probably have went PC. Hmm, maybe I'll just reinstall 2142 on the PC for that side of things and keep going on the 360 :D

Aoi on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    holy balls, things seemed to stabilize at around 8 or 9 pm pacific and I've been playing Rush for the last 4 hours or so. The new maps are sooo goood

Hit Level 2 (so weird you start at level 0), been sticking with Engineer, unlocked the SCAR and Land Mines.

I have a question though, I'll fire a laser tag dealy at a helicopter, it'll hit, than i'll fire an RPG but that RPG totally doesn't home into it or anything, isn't that how it's supposed to work? Or is the laser dart just a boost to damage and the ability to track it? I was a bit confused by that.

You'll see a little box around your tracer dart. Zoom in with the RPG centered on the box and wait for the distance to appear. That's how you lock on. You can do this through buildings and shit too. No clear line of sight needed. I usually lock on, then aim at the sky or behind me and watch the rocket zoom around to smash the target. You have to be quick when aiming away from the target or you lose the lock on.

oh interesting, thanks! I kept zooming in and looking at the tank or chopper but nothing ever happened. i guess i wasn't looking at the little square

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    So my server's been set to Conquest all day today. Do people like that or would people prefer Rush?

this is from many pages ago so i dunno what was decided but I'm actually enjoying Rush more than conquest which is not what I expected

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So my server's been set to Conquest all day today. Do people like that or would people prefer Rush?

this is from many pages ago so i dunno what was decided but I'm actually enjoying Rush more than conquest which is not what I expected

Agreed. Rush is where its at.

It focuses the action into a battle line, making it feel more like a battle than a weird skirmish.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I too believe I enjoy Rush more. It feels a lot more coordinated.

I can't wait to try out squad rush/deathmatch though.

Satsumomo on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    The only vehicle I don't see people climb into very frequently, or is usually left sitting around for a decent amount of time, is the poor un-loved Bradley. I don't get why people shun that thing, it's a powerhouse if you use it right, especially with the secondary TOWs. It'll go toe to toe with just about anything. Not many people show it love though. Instead they opt for the pile of crap AA tank, and just spew grenades all over the place.

wut.

I know right!! But every game I've played I always see that thing just sitting around until someone goes "oh fuck they're knocking on our front door, guess we outta use this shit." I fucking LOVE the bradley. I got the highest kill streak I ever achieved in the demo with it(42). Yet it sits around collecting dust and cob webs, while the AA tank gets jumped into immediately, and everyone fights over the tanks and UAV.

I think I need to purchase this. Rent may not be doing it for me... If it weren't for the whopping 4 total people on my Steam friends list playing it as opposed to over a dozen on my 360 list last night, I would probably have went PC. Hmm, maybe I'll just reinstall 2142 on the PC for that side of things and keep going on the 360 :D

Dude I haven't played anything with you in forever. I will invite you next time I see you.

NeuralFizz on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

Agreed. Rush is where its at.

It focuses the action into a battle line, making it feel more like a battle than a weird skirmish.

After playing the beta for so long, conquest is nice... but only if everyone cooperates. That said, since people are still learning the maps it does feel like a cluster at times.

DietarySupplement on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is awesome, had some good games last night

I'm worried about the garand though. I was using it as engineer and doing pretty decent, 10+ kills every round and such, but after each match the 'Most Score By' box never displayed the garand, and would usually show a grenade or pistol, even if I got 0 kills with it.

Does this mean you can't get gold star with the garand? What about attachments (acog, etc.)?

Related to this: (PS3 Version)

I've noticed that the Thompson isn't keeping track of my kills with it. I know I've ventilated a few people, but it says I've not killed anyone with it.

I wonder if it's not tracking them because I haven't gotten enough XP to "unlock" it yet. That's my guess, at the very least.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God the PC version is so fucking buggy jesus christ. If you manage to conect to a server.. (lucky you) don't expect any of the classs to have anything that makes them a fucking class.. wow.. was in a game where the assault had no ammo crates. medic had no health or paddles. eningeers had no repair tool... what a fucking joke lol.

They were right though it is BAD.. it's bad when the classes in your game arn't even classes cause it's so fucking buggy.

Goddamnit I knew there may be connection problems around launch but this is ridiculous.
    WANT TO BUY BETA BACK K THANKS.

Sonork on
  • AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well so far I have ONLY played as Assault pretty much, just unlocked the AN94. The 2 round burst is kind of weird at first but it is probably the best rifle to use the 4X with, but the XM8 is still the best if you are getting into it up close.

Anybody else playing just one role or am I weird?
    God the PC version is so fucking buggy jesus christ. If you manage to conect to a server.. (lucky you) don't expect any of the classs to have anything that makes them a fucking class.. wow.. was in a game where the assault had no ammo crates. medic had no health or paddles. eningeers had no repair tool... what a fucking joke lol.

I have never experienced this. Connecting to servers is fine, and I believe you ahve to unlock the kits/tools. They only need like 1400 points so it should only take one round.

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AntiQuo wrote: »
    Well so far I have ONLY played as Assault pretty much, just unlocked the AN94. The 2 round burst is kind of weird at first but it is probably the best rifle to use the 4X with, but the XM8 is still the best if you are getting into it up close.

I have never experienced this. Connecting to servers is fine, and I believe you ahve to unlock the kits/tools. They only need like 1400 points so it should only take one round.

I want my goddamn M416 or the M16A2. I loved those 2 in the first, and they still better be christ-like in the sequel.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My first few games I started with no class unlocks and wierd crap like the RPG or 40mm showing up on the medic 3rd slot. Also didn't start with paddles or medkits, kits showed up after a few rounds. Still no paddles.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've played all the roles. It depends on what's happening. If there's a tank and a helicopter fucking shit up I will respawn as an engineer. By default I like being a medic or an assault depending on if I'm defending/attacking or if I'm fighting in the open or from building to building. Recon is when I gain enough confidence to try being a recon without fucking it up.

Sarksus on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I've got a couple of Dr. Pepper codes and every time I enter any one of them I just get an error page that tells me absolutely nothing helpful.

:?

TwistedJester on
  • bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When ever I try to launch the game I get the " this game is currently unavailable" error. How does one fix this problem.

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Pretty much going that way myself. Sticking to the engineer until I get the AT4, then sticking to medic until I get the MG3.

wonderpug on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ITT: Aoi doesn't consider us his friends. :(

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »
    My fave thing to do is the UAV, I know it sounds cliche already but a good UAV driver can mean the difference between win/lose.

A good example is simply hovering over the enemy base pestering them or blowing up their cover waiting for someone to arm the create. A good, game changing UAV driver then slides in and owns anyone who comes to disarm it.

Most frustrating moment?

Watching 5-6 people camping the Heli just to have the biggest drooling moron get in the drivers seat and watching their drool strings get caught in the rooter as the Heli gets just enough altitude to make it crash when it lands about 20 feet away.

Although the death of the driver via suicide/epic fail is satisfying.

Also, is it me or are the boats freaking useless? I mean, I guess they are good transportation but I have never been like, "Oh shit a BOAT!!".

Grenade launchers can clear a beach for landing.

And, again, yes about the UAV. I use it like if I were just running around blasting shit. Stay about 5 feet above the enemy and just keep wasting them.

Oh and this reminds me.

What's the difference between the two Alt Fires? I had one, and then I unlocked another at the end of the vehicle sections.

EDIT

I play all roles, though I prefer Recon and Engineer. The points you get for anti tank mines is ridiculous and I'm glad that the mines actually work in this game.

If I'm on attackers and I'm on a good squad that stays tight and work together then I'll spawn with them as assault or medi sometimes.

Sheep on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't connect to any of the servers. Is this normal?

Endomatic on
    edited March 2010
    bigbadbob wrote: »
    When ever I try to launch the game I get the " this game is currently unavailable" error. How does one fix this problem.

For me, this happened when I had it set to run in admin mode. Turn admin mode off made it work.

So I haven't actually been able to get that ping fix working.

Dracil on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bigbadbob wrote: »

That's Steam related, it's happened to me with other games. I just try again in a few minutes. In any case, close Steam and restart it.

Satsumomo on
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the Garand.

But I wish Ping worked with the server browser. Also, they need to put in filters for hardcore mode.

Daemonion on
    edited March 2010
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »

wut.

Dude I haven't played anything with you in forever. I will invite you next time I see you.

We were in the same party last night :) I just got split off into the squad with Jast, Default, etc. I'll totally be around this evening, Fuzzy.

Aoi on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

Pretty much going that way myself. Sticking to the engineer until I get the AT4, then sticking to medic until I get the MG3.

AT4 shouldn't take long at all. I got mine yesterday, only got to play with it a couple of times though.

MG3....yeah, at 57000 Medic points, that's gonna take a while.

I usually play to the situation, though engy is my goto class if our squad / team is balanced.
    Just wait till you try a Red Dot AK74u

SCAR who?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited March 2010
    Sonork wrote: »

They were right though it is BAD.. it's bad when the classes in your game arn't even classes cause it's so fucking buggy.
    Those are some of the many, many ways servers can customize their gameplay.

It was common in BF2 for servers to have"no unlocks" or stuff like that. Its a server choice.

But the server browser needs to have more filters so players can see these kinds of things before joining.

Daemonion on
  • LiquidatorLiquidator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I went to veteran.battlefield.com to try and unlock the Garand, digged out my Battlefield 1942/Road to Rome/Vietnam boxes and put in the CD-keys, but it says that each one has already been claimed. I don't know how that's possible since this is the first time I've been on the veteran website, and I've never used the CD-keys besides from playing all of the other games back in the day. WTF?

Liquidator on
    edited March 2010
    FOV differences:
    [im g]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/173/bc2fov.gif[/img]

So my understanding is the FOV for the game is vertical FOV as opposed to horizontal FOV. So setting a 67.5 FOV on a 4:3 monitor will give the traditional 90 FOV and 108 FOV on a 16:10 monitor.

Dracil on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of FOV, what is a good FOV for a 16:9 monitor?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited March 2010

Goddamnit I knew there may be connection problems around launch but this is ridiculous.
    WANT TO BUY BETA BACK K THANKS.

That's not a bug. You start without your class specific kit unlocked. Like the first unlock for the medic class IS the medkits. The paddles appear to be the third.

Aoi on
    edited March 2010
    FOV differences:

So my understanding is the FOV for the game is vertical FOV as opposed to horizontal FOV. So setting a 67.5 FOV on a 4:3 monitor will give the traditional 90 FOV and 108 FOV on a 16:10 monitor.

It looks like higher FOVs give more viewing space on the sides.

The viewing in game seems a bit tunnel-visioned. Will FOV help with this?

BTW, you mean an FOV setting of 108 will mimic the standard for a 16:10 monitor or 67.5 will give 108 on a 16:10?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I've no vested interest, I'm originally from Pittsburgh... Pitt grad... but I digress.

Make sure you get me added to your friends list or whatever

On a side note: do you still play hockey around town in rec leagues? If so, we may have met.

Will do, Boogdud is the EA soldier tag/thinger. Glassjaw is my steam name.

I haven't played in a year or two (injury, slowly working my way from lazy to get back in) but I've played hockey in the area for a good 15 years or more. Both Ice and Inline, chillers, old ice barn before they bought it, etc. If you play any of the rec leagues I'm sure we've met.

Boogdud on
    edited March 2010
    Liquidator wrote: »
    So I went to veteran.battlefield.com to try and unlock the Garand, digged out my Battlefield 1942/Road to Rome/Vietnam boxes and put in the CD-keys, but it says that each one has already been claimed. I don't know how that's possible since this is the first time I've been on the veteran website, and I've never used the CD-keys besides from playing all of the other games back in the day. WTF?
    Has a friend ever borrowed your CD keys? It sounds like someone else used them.

If you shoot EA a technical support email maybe they'll be able to help.

Daemonion on
    edited March 2010
    ITT: Aoi doesn't consider us his friends. :(

Aww, ya made me feel bad.

I just mean as far as the people I play with regularly, there's an exponentially larger number of people on my 360 friends list than my Steam friends list.

Aoi on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    4 hours left zzzzzzzzzzz

Echo on
    edited March 2010

You realize that's by design, right? Not a bug? As in, you need to unlock them? It was unlocked in the PC beta by default, but not on the 360/PS3 demos.
    Liquidator wrote: »

Just keep trying. Try a different browser. Don't use the numpad (defies logic, but proven).

DietarySupplement on
    edited March 2010
    FOV differences:

BTW, you mean an FOV setting of 108 will mimic the standard for a 16:10 monitor or 67.5 will give 108 on a 16:10?

The latter.

i.e. *everyone* should set it to 67.5 no matter what monitor they're using if they want a horizontal FOV as close to the traditional PC FPS FOV, because the game will adjust your horizontal FOV based on your monitor width. At least that's my understanding.

Dracil on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    should probably put the guide for changing FOV in the OP

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited March 2010

The latter.

i.e. *everyone* should set it to 67.5 no matter what monitor they're using if they want a horizontal FOV as close to the traditional PC FPS FOV, because the game will adjust your horizontal FOV based on your monitor width. At least that's my understanding.

What is the default?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AT4 shouldn't take long at all. I got mine yesterday, only got to play with it a couple of times though.

How'd you like the AT4 compared to the RPG? I'm antsy to have a more effective way to take down helicopters. Even AA guns are hit or miss. Literally, I suppose.

wonderpug on
This discussion has been closed.