As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My ass is a quivering mess (Bigman Thread)

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the space thing does concern me.
    It's weird that I have room for it because I live in an inner-city townhouse. There has been a meeting of circumstances that have made it possible, one of which was of course being given the squat rack for no money.

But yes, I don't consider it likely that I'll live here for an really long time. So when I move... Hmmm, need somewhere with room for my rack set up. Luckily that rack does come apart into three relatively small pieces, so it is storeable.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tonight, I found out that a well-executed Press makes me feel like a total badass

Thanks, Rippetoe!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    would it be silly of me to attempt snowboarding this weekend

doc said 3-4 weeks
    this is exactly 3 weeks from date of injury

i certainly am not 100% though

but if i take it slow and not push myself would that be a terrible idea

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hurrah for stupid bets. So I guess I can't keep a 500 Watt pace on the erg for a minute. That was freaking brutal. Even after 20 seconds I wanted to die.

And I see the first strongman event is in June. Plenty of time to do a slow cut down to the lightweight class.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solvent wrote: »
    Well, I may be sick, but I bought myself presents to feel better.

BB_small.jpg

Solvent, you may want to experiment with a sheet of plywood under the squat rack. In addition to the different footing you get with wood, you may notice that your knees and lower back feel better vs. lifting directly on the cement.

losabio on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    -snip-

fuuuuuuuuuu

My guilty secret is that I still can't do a full wide-grip pullup, and only like 3-4 chinups. :cry:

In my defense, I weigh 200 lbs. now that I've gotten serious with the calorie cramming, and I did only start working out seriously mid-January, sooo

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I tried a 20-rep squat today @ 135 lbs, after busting out a quick 5x5. My lower body hates me.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    losabio wrote: »
    Solvent, you may want to experiment with a sheet of plywood under the squat rack. In addition to the different footing you get with wood, you may notice that your knees and lower back feel better vs. lifting directly on the cement.

I intend to get some old carpet to go underneath it. Two layers if possible.

Solvent on

• Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so, my copy of starting strength arrived today

i spent an hour famiiarizing myself with it and am now totally psyched to work out and get strong

gonna check out the gyms in my area tomorrow if i can, or the day after, and probably buy hella milk.

rad book

redhead on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    losabio wrote: »
    Solvent wrote: »
    Well, I may be sick, but I bought myself presents to feel better.

BB_small.jpg

It's tough to see what kind of a difference there would be between lifting on wood or cement, but carpet for sure would not be ideal. At least put something flat and solid between you and the carpet if you are doing that.

big l on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scored a goal in soccer last night. I have the soccer-est quads of them all!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you score the goal by merely flexing your quads?

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last night a very well meaning man (with a large upper body and pencil legs) said that he wished our gym had a deadlift machine because doing deadlifts from the floor is dangerous for your lower back "especially once you get heavier". I was doing 3x245 at the time, so I was thinking thanks for that jerkface but I just said hmmm, yeah. Also, what's a deadlift machine?

Peen on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you correct him? You really should. It's not rude when he initiates the conversation.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I didn't correct him because I don't feel like I know enough about anything to correct anybody plus he was doing a million sets of skull crushers (to his credit, he has very nice triceps) that I was helping him get into position for so I didn't want to get into it. I mean if he'd been deadlifting too but with bad form or off of boxes or something I might have said something; as it is, I don't want to be an overinformed gym dick, especially because I'm really not experienced enough to qualify.

Peen on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    big l wrote: »
    moocow wrote: »
    The bad news is, I weighed myself. 170. I was 169 when I was working out often and could see good muscle definition and stuff. Now my muscles are flabby and weak and I have a bit of a belly.

Realize what silly geese they are. "Oh no! I gained a pound! I'm a fatty pig!" Do your squats, eat a cheeseburger once in a while, and you will perform and look better than you would if you run yourself to death.

Eat a goose. My point wasn't that I've gained a pound, it's that I'm the same weight despite not being as much of a big man as I was.

I dunno, fuck it, maybe I'll look up my old lifts and go back to the gym after I wake up today. Is there a rule of thumb for starting back up into lifting after a break, or should I just lower the weight by some likely number?

p.s. I bought steaks this morning to celebrate getting off my ass, which I will consume today or tomorrow, so poo to your cheeseburger. :p
    I have appreciated your advice in the past big l, and hope to benefit from it in the future, so I don't mean too much by the "eat a goose" thing. <3

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last shot at the gym, and I felt like I was verge of blackout at the end

It was hard to keep the will going at the end, and 2 days later and I still feel like it was only a few hours ago, but shit do I feel good

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Did you score the goal by merely flexing your quads?

Actually pretty much. We were making a run upfield in a 2 on 1 scenario and the guy with the ball passed it up to me so all I had to do was meet the ball and stiffen my leg to redirect it as a shot in the proper direction resulting in a goal.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I shall be going to the arnold expo tomorrow. Many new pictures of strongmen/women will be taken.

And I'll be sure to get another pic with Matt Kroc. He might be the only man who can make me look less pale in comparison to him.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, what's a deadlift machine?

it's possible he meant one of these:

CLS-PL38.jpg

there used to be one at my old gym, but i never saw anyone use it.

spazmojack on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    look at the focus on that man's face

guy's in the zone

rep record attempt I bet

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    not now chief, i'm in the zone!

spazmojack on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    working out in a yellow polo and army boots erryday

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That dude looks like he's locked in to take the biggest dump of his entire life.

Peen on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That dude looks like he's locked in to take the biggest dump of his entire life.

He's on the Taco Bell drive-thru diet.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arnold Classic weightlifting competition live streaming at http://www.livestream.com/arnoldweightlifting

big l on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Love the commentary on the side:
    "hulkmaster: i lift more on teh weekends with my cock, where's the real men?
    hoogedood12: i know right lol"

and so on.

Peen on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what's a deadlift machine?

forklift-electric.gif

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Arnold Classic weightlifting competition live streaming at http://www.livestream.com/arnoldweightlifting

Too bad they didn't do that for the powerlifting. With all the publicity that the RUM got, I was hoping they'd broadcast it. Oh well, at least they had live scoring for the womens division

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Those people make 95-kg cleans look so easy. Damn.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the link big L, didn't realize it was today. What class is on right now, or is it just an open format. That dude just muscled up 150 and it didn't even look like it touched his delts haha.

I haven't trained for 4 weeks now, did something weird to my hamstring/hip before Christmas, took 2 weeks off over the holidays, came back and started back training (with a new belt), injury started getting worse, stopped squatting/pulling, ran a 10km I had entered months ago, and now injury is debilitating, putting on my socks is the worst part of my day. Physio hasn't been helping, saw a doc at walk in clinic last week and got an x-ray as well as referral to sports med doc. Physio thought it was minor nerve impingment, then thought it was torn hamstring, but I never had a single incident that felt like torn hammy (e.g. no sudden onset of pain while training) and getting progressively worse doesn't make sense for a muscle tear. I'm paranoid it's a herniated disc :(, just want to find out so I can rehab and train again, it's depressing not being able to do anything recreational.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Re: Deadlift machines.
    When I visited my bro in the top end, his gym had a 'deadlift machine'. I didn't know what it was, and asked about it. It was a small raised platform (about a foot high I guess), with a hole in the middle, and a cable and handle coming out of it. The handle was one like you would use for a neutral-grip seated row, hands fairly close together. Anyway, apparently you stand on the platform, squat down, and 'deadlift' with the handle, attached to a cable, attached to a 'serious business' weight stack. INteresting.

Re: lifting on carpet.
    I'm not talking about getting some kind of plush deep pile with thick underlay to go under my squat rack. I'm talking about getting threadbare old shitty 'someone's giving this away' carpet, with no underlay. I do not think that it's going to be in any way spongy, slippery, unstable or unsafe for me to lift on. I think this is a good idea because I've lifted in a garage gym on shitty old carpet over concrete before. It helps stop your feet getting as filthy or as cold, and stops your plates from getting as dirty as well.
    Sure I could take the suggestion of some kind of wooden flooring, but I think old carpet sounds cheaper and easier. Maybe I will stick with one layer though.

Solvent on

• Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    10 pullups woot!

later this month I'd like to get to weighted pullups. Losing weight (fingers crossed) should help.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    March 6. The day I discovered honey and cashew hummus.

Holy shit

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last night a very well meaning man (with a large upper body and pencil legs) said that he wished our gym had a deadlift machine because doing deadlifts from the floor is dangerous for your lower back "especially once you get heavier". I was doing 3x245 at the time, so I was thinking thanks for that jerkface but I just said hmmm, yeah. Also, what's a deadlift machine?

I've only ever seen a combo deadlift/shrug machine, but it basically looks like a sled with handles connected to arms you lift up. I was using it for shrugs for a long time, but then I just started using the rack pull stand for those (I'll learn to power/hang clean one day, I swear!).

Also: the few times I've given Sage Gym Advice™, I've always qualified it with a jovial disclaimer -- "I'm no expert or anything, as you can tell just my looking at me, but it's my understanding that..." I like to think it comes off as not-arrogant; it's also nice because, in the event I'm talking right out of my ass, I don't look quite as bad as if I'd made the incorrect statement(s) with conviction.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Maruisz Pudzianowski, 6'1 287lb man mountain. 5 time world's strongest man, also starting to do MMA fights (1-0).
    What is the secret to his training, is it his diet, genetics, drugs, milk?

No

I've found the secret

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Love Pudz.
    Pudz wrote:
    My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and 2-3 pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy…I need it for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 p.m., is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes.

An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate.

Dinner is whatever meat I can get: steaks, pork chops, bacon, plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. [After I work out] I have a protein shake and more chocolate.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Argh I am frustrated.

Sucky workout

Sucky training day. Still not on the roster. Come the fuck on!

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    Argh I am frustrated.

Sucky workout

Sucky training day. Still not on the roster. Come the fuck on!

Have a big fucking meal, get a decent sleep, get up in the morning and start again.

How's your lifting going at the moment?

TheRealBadger on
This discussion has been closed.