As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My ass is a quivering mess (Bigman Thread)

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    How helpful are warmup sets?

My bench's kinda stalled at 165. I can do more, but not for a full 3x5. I guess I should just do more isolation chest work; I do biceps + triceps in addition to Tube's Mk. II all three days, because I feel my arms are particularly flimsy, but I guess I need to add some time on the Hug Machine™ or whatever that padded chest exercise thing is.

So if I wanted to do warmup sets, would I be looking at something like a 95 lb. set, or something closer to my working sets?

Warmup sets are good. You want to ramp up to your working sets. So if you're at 165 across 3x5, look at something like this:

75 x 8
    105 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3

Take enough time to rest between your sets also.

Try working in some close grip BP work and heavy barbell rows if you're looking to up your arm strength.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's probably a little more volume than I'd use for a warm-up

Especially when you're doing straight sets for your work sets

Experiment and see what gets the best results for you

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like to do lots of warmups.
    Start at a ridiculously easy weight (maybe 95, for you) and just go up by ten pounds at a time till you get to your work set.

Then again, on the few times I've tried doing less warmup volume, it's been easier to hit PR's.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    haha cel you are an animal

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I like to do lots of warmups.
    Start at a ridiculously easy weight (maybe 95, for you) and just go up by ten pounds at a time till you get to your work set.

Then again, on the few times I've tried doing less warmup volume, it's been easier to hit PR's.

How long do you spend at the gym these days?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Normally? about an hour.
    Right now during my six weeks of fat-loss madness, it's more like 45 minutes, with unimpressive weights because of the short rest periods.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mein gott! My legs are absolutely blasted today. I feel like I could sleep for another 12 hours right now.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been reading a bunch of articles on the conjugate method/westide and I likey. Being able to PR every week on something keeps my motivation up. Even if it's not on one of the big 3.

I've started using the basic template last week. I added in bands for accomodating resistance on speed days also. I'm gonna give this a run for awhile and see where it takes me.

Also, there is another meet at the end of this month that I'm interested in. I don't know if it's too late to enter, but I'm going to talk to the meet director.

Oh, here's the basic westside template:
    Sunday – Dynamic Effort Bench

Dynamic Bench Press
    Triceps
    Shoulders
    Lats/Upper Back

Monday – Max Effort Squat/DL

Max Effort Exercise
    Hamstrings
    Low Back
    Abs

Wednesday – Max Effort Bench Press

Max Effort Exercise
    Triceps
    Shoulders
    Lats/Upper Back

Friday – Dynamic Squat/DL

Dynamic Squat
    Hamstrings
    Low Back
    Abs

Link explaining things- http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4 day program's pretty ambitious Bruce, good luck with that.

Peen on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will try going to the gym before the football practice. It's the only way I see myself doing both activities at the same time

hectorse on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So in the gym the other day I asked a dude for a bench spot, to which he kindly helped with, and when I finished he asked me how my progress was going. My response was that I think it's generally going pretty well, each week I make progress in either the amount of reps I do or adding more weight. He also asked me what my goals were and I really couldn't think of anything I was working towards other than progress and staying healthy. It'd be great to be able to stack two plates on each side of the bench for my working reps (10 lbs to go!) but other than that I don't really have concrete goals in mind.

Is anyone else the same way, do you just work for progress or have particular goals in mind?

spazmojack on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Today was a sucky day at the gym. Tried doing bent over rows instead of seated rows and almost passed out afterwards.

I did have to lie down for a few minutes because everything was turning black.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In the last thread, someone posted a youtube video of a beast of a man squatting something like 220kg x20. Can anyone remember the link, because I've lost it :(

Edit: Found it! Goddamn.

For the curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFGdpQD_O0

Rasmus on
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rasmus wrote: »
    In the last thread, someone posted a youtube video of a beast of a man squatting something like 220kg x20. Can anyone remember the link, because I've lost it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6WMuI

Heavy power cleans, clapping chins, and then 407 for 20 is a ridiculous day.

losabio on
  • Options
    grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

My bench's kinda stalled at 165. I can do more, but not for a full 3x5. I guess I should just do more isolation chest work; I do biceps + triceps in addition to Tube's Mk. II all three days, because I feel my arms are particularly flimsy, but I guess I need to add some time on the Hug Machine™ or whatever that padded chest exercise thing is.

So if I wanted to do warmup sets, would I be looking at something like a 95 lb. set, or something closer to my working sets?

What's your bodyweight? I don't think you need to worry about isolation work to increase your bench until you are benching 1.4-1.5x BW for 1RM. Are you doing overhead press? I find the overhead press and bench complement each other nicely.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    losabio wrote: »
    Rasmus wrote: »
    Other stuff and videos

...clapping chins more other stuff...

Like, actually doing a chin up, releasing the bar, clap then catch the bar and do another one?

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was rad but his chin form wasn't great, I give him one and a half thumbs up.
    jk, that was ridiculous.

Peen on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay. First day back in a month and a half, did the Practical Programming program. Seemed so quick it felt like cheating, but that probably has something to do with me being so conservative with the weight. Easing into it.

Squat 3x5: 135

Bench 3x5: 140

Chin-ups 3xfailure: 6, 7, 6

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was rad but his chin form wasn't great, I give him one and a half thumbs up.
    jk, that was ridiculous.

Jesse Marunde, RIP... he was a hoss. He was also hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6Hd748S_c

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so i'm getting started on this whole weightlifting thing, and today's the day i decided to go around checking out the gyms near me and seeing which one would be best

just got back from the first one i've looked at, a 24 hour fitness

really large, clean, bright space, lots of friendly staff running around, eager to show me their awesome facility. lots other people there too, they're obviously making a whole bunch of money

unfortunately roughly 1% of their floor space is devoted to anything i would use any time soon. they have a pool, a jacuzzi, two saunas, a weight room filled will a million different machines many of which i was assured i couldn't find anywhere else, about a billion different kinds of exercise bikes... and one power rack and one bench. i'm an absolute beginner to this whole thing, but that did not strike me as a good sign.

i still have a couple other gyms to check out before i start getting into the ones that are pretty far away, so hopefully they're a little better

redhead on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    so i'm getting started on this whole weightlifting thing, and today's the day i decided to go around checking out the gyms near me and seeing which one would be best

just got back from the first one i've looked at, a 24 hour fitness

really large, clean, bright space, lots of friendly staff running around, eager to show me their awesome facility. lots other people there too, they're obviously making a whole bunch of money

unfortunately roughly 1% of their floor space is devoted to anything i would use any time soon. they have a pool, a jacuzzi, two saunas, a weight room filled will a million different machines many of which i was assured i couldn't find anywhere else, about a billion different kinds of exercise bikes... and one power rack and one bench. i'm an absolute beginner to this whole thing, but that did not strike me as a good sign.

i still have a couple other gyms to check out before i start getting into the ones that are pretty far away, so hopefully they're a little better

Avoid unless you can't find anywhere else. Everything there is useless other than the power rack, the pool and the sauna. If you are lucky no one else will use the power rack and bench in which case it could work out decently, but then you are probably overpaying and the atmosphere is likely terrible (no one serious about training to talk to or be motivated by, bad music, everything will suck other than potentially hot women to oogle).

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, that 24 hour fitness didn't leave a good impression at all. will avoid going there if at all possible

the weight room at my local community college was closed when i went (they close at 2 pm... their hours are pretty rough, probably because the school is underfunded to hell) but i talked to some people and was assured that it's not all machines and they have power racks. plus it's probably not very crowded at all. so i can't know for sure since I haven't actually seen the inside of the room yet, but i'd bet it's where i'll end up going. also it's close.

there's another gym that's even closer, but i couldn't tell if it was any good because i literally could not figure out how to open any of the doors to get inside. it was crazy. i left after trying every door twice because i was starting to get embarrassed.

redhead on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What is the consensus on using your belt for presses?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Warmup sets are good. You want to ramp up to your working sets. So if you're at 165 across 3x5, look at something like this:

75 x 8
    105 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3

Try working in some close grip BP work and heavy barbell rows if you're looking to up your arm strength.

That does sound like a lot of warmup. You're tryin' to kill me before I even get started!

On a sidenote... I can never finish a full gallon of whole milk in a day at work. I look forward to the "1 gallon in 8 hrs" PR.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    yeah, that 24 hour fitness didn't leave a good impression at all. will avoid going there if at all possible

the weight room at my local community college was closed when i went (they close at 2 pm... their hours are pretty rough, probably because the school is underfunded to hell) but i talked to some people and was assured that it's not all machines and they have power racks. plus it's probably not very crowded at all. so i can't know for sure since I haven't actually seen the inside of the room yet, but i'd bet it's where i'll end up going. also it's close.

there's another gym that's even closer, but i couldn't tell if it was any good because i literally could not figure out how to open any of the doors to get inside. it was crazy. i left after trying every door twice because i was starting to get embarrassed.

School gyms are typically the best, some even have platforms and bumper plates. The ideal gym is probably a strongman/powerlifting/olympic lifting friendly gym/facility but those are very rare. CrossFit is another option if you can afford it and you agree with the programming of that specific affiliate.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    HoA-player wrote: »
    Today was a sucky day at the gym. Tried doing bent over rows instead of seated rows and almost passed out afterwards.

I did have to lie down for a few minutes because everything was turning black.

This happened to me when I tried to tag along with a weightlifter buddy, but as even more of a novice than I am now. I wasn't eating nearly enough back then, and would almost always get lightheaded an hour or so into exercising. One time, someone was walking around with courtesy protein smoothie samples, so I drank a sip of one and almost immediately felt better; another time, the weightlifter buddy lemme eat some of his meal replacement bar... it was the worst, most chalky thing ever to have been referred to as "cookie-dough flavored," but it also did the trick, and I got a second wind and went back into the gym.

So basically: you probably aren't eating enough.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

75 x 8
    105 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3

That does sound like a lot of warmup. You're tryin' to kill me before I even get started!

On a sidenote... I can never finish a full gallon of whole milk in a day at work. I look forward to the "1 gallon in 8 hrs" PR.

Warm-up is somewhat personal preference. I bench once a week 3 sets of 5 across, but I do it after squatting, so I am generally warm already. If I were doing work sets of 165 I would do something like:

Bar x 8
    95x5
    115x4
    135x3
    Work sets

For instance when I do 225 worksets it goes:

Bar x 8
    135x5
    185x3-4
    205x2-3ish

The last two I just want to feel a weight closer to the work set. I used to do a lot more warm-up sets but found I killed a lot of my strength for the work sets without much benefit, that is just me personally, and as you see above for cel it works great for her to have more, but I think her program involves more volume than mine.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    What is the consensus on using your belt for presses?

They can help for sure, try it. I got my belt in late January, and stopped training mid-Feb due to injury, but I managed to press with it 3 or 4 times. I find it helps a bit, especially on the hard reps, as something to brace your midsection against and transmit more power to the bar. The only thing that was a bit weird for me is that when I am pressing, my trunk seems to get thinner due to being more stretched out, so the belt didn't feel as tight as it did on squats/deads, probably just me having to adjust tightness on the press.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    grambo wrote: »

What's your bodyweight? I don't think you need to worry about isolation work to increase your bench until you are benching 1.4-1.5x BW for 1RM. Are you doing overhead press? I find the overhead press and bench complement each other nicely.

I'm 2-3 pounds over 200 right now. I've been doing military presses since I got on Tube's Mk. II in mid-January. Up to 3x5 @ 125# right now.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    spazmojack wrote: »
    So in the gym the other day I asked a dude for a bench spot, to which he kindly helped with, and when I finished he asked me how my progress was going. My response was that I think it's generally going pretty well, each week I make progress in either the amount of reps I do or adding more weight. He also asked me what my goals were and I really couldn't think of anything I was working towards other than progress and staying healthy. It'd be great to be able to stack two plates on each side of the bench for my working reps (10 lbs to go!) but other than that I don't really have concrete goals in mind.

Is anyone else the same way, do you just work for progress or have particular goals in mind?

For me my goals are

250lb bench 5x5
    350lb squat 5x5
    500lb deadlift 5x5

Currents are
    195lb bench
    200lb squat
    355lb deadlift.

Reason for the lower squat weight is that that I'm still at about 340lbs and already carrying a lot of weight and until my knee wraps show up I get a bit of complaint from my knees the next day if I go any heavier.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seems like a good way to ruin your knees webguy. I gotta say, I'm glad I gave lifting a rest and dropped the weight. I liked being able to destroy the better part of a gallon of milk a day and have it not turn into fat but I feel much healthier.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bulgarian split squats are a cast iron whore and they're destroying my will to live.

It hurts so good.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bulgarian split squats are a cast iron whore and they're destroying my will to live.

It hurts so good.

YES this is true.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So hey, I'm looking for some help in developing a program. Here's my current stats:

6'4" (about 193cm)
    190 (about 88kg)
    25 years old

I did weightlifting in 2009 up until about August when I moved to Japan. I just found a gym to join here in January, so I've gotten back to about where I left off last summer.

My current lifts, at 5RM, are:
    Bench - 57.5kg
    Squat - 65kg
    Deadlift - 95kg
    OHP (standing military press) - 40kg
    Cable pulldown - 50kg

My goals right now are to break 100kg in Bench and Squat this year, and be able to do 10 pull-ups. I'm also doing this to increase my jump, but until the weather gets nice and I can train outside I can't do much measurement (the gym I'm going to is very small).

Right now my program is this:

MWF

max upper on Monday, mix on Wednesday, max lower on Friday.

I do 5 different things each workout, and it's a full body workout. On the Monday I take one upper body and do a 2x4RM; on friday I do the same with a lower body. Wednesday I do 3x5 of everything.

But now that I'm back up to where I left off last summer, I'm trying to make a real program. I'm not really sure what direction to go though. I want to stick to 3 days a week in the gym. I'm thinking about doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program, and if I should do a MWFSat schedule with that.

The overall goal of weightlifting is for me to do parkour well. This means being able to jump, climb, and run; along with good balance.

So now I beg of your guys' expertise for helping me figure out a weightlifting program. :)

tehmarken on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    So hey, I'm looking for some help in developing a program. Here's my current stats:

6'4" (about 193cm)
    190 (about 88kg)
    25 years old

I did weightlifting in 2009 up until about August when I moved to Japan. I just found a gym to join here in January, so I've gotten back to about where I left off last summer.

My current lifts, at 5RM, are:
    Bench - 57.5kg
    Squat - 65kg
    Deadlift - 95kg
    OHP (standing military press) - 40kg
    Cable pulldown - 50kg

My goals right now are to break 100kg in Bench and Squat this year, and be able to do 10 pull-ups. I'm also doing this to increase my jump, but until the weather gets nice and I can train outside I can't do much measurement (the gym I'm going to is very small).

Right now my program is this:

MWF

max upper on Monday, mix on Wednesday, max lower on Friday.

I do 5 different things each workout, and it's a full body workout. On the Monday I take one upper body and do a 2x4RM; on friday I do the same with a lower body. Wednesday I do 3x5 of everything.

But now that I'm back up to where I left off last summer, I'm trying to make a real program. I'm not really sure what direction to go though. I want to stick to 3 days a week in the gym. I'm thinking about doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program, and if I should do a MWFSat schedule with that.

The overall goal of weightlifting is for me to do parkour well. This means being able to jump, climb, and run; along with good balance.

So now I beg of your guys' expertise for helping me figure out a weightlifting program. :)

5/3/1 is not right for you. With all respect, you are pretty weak right now. This is a good thing, since it means you can make really fast progress. 5/3/1 is a program which has a set rate of increase, a rate which I believe is too slow for a novice lifter like you. You can make more progress faster with a linear progression program like Starting Strength. You can find a ton of descriptions of this with minor variations, some are here. The basic idea is you lift full-body three days a week, and you increase the weight on an exercise every time you do it, usually 5lbs every time. This is a program that would rapidly increase both your strength and muscular bodyweight. The only tough thing about it is you have to eat big and work hard in the gym to sustain the constant rate of increase. If your goal is to do parkour well, you probably won't want to gain a ton of weight, but 190# at 6'4" is pretty light so I think you safely have some room to grow on your frame. There are lots of people in this thread who have done or are doing this program so you can ask around if you are interested in learning more about it.

big l on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the info :)

tehmarken on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm always suprised when I read about people deadlifting heavier wieghts then squatting.

My squat weight has always been siginificantly higher then my deadlift weight.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My squat and deadlift weight started about the same, but the deadlift increased a lot faster than squats. Same with my brother.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm always suprised when I read about people deadlifting heavier wieghts then squatting.

I don't want to call you out specifically without having seen you squat, but most people who squat more than they deadlift are either advanced powerlifters using special gear to increase their squat or they are doing half-squats. It is very rare for people to be able to full squat without gear more than they deadlift. You might want to check your squat depth, make sure you are getting below parallel.

big l on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    big l wrote: »

I don't want to call you out specifically without having seen you squat, but most people who squat more than they deadlift are either advanced powerlifters using special gear to increase their squat or they are doing half-squats. It is very rare for people to be able to full squat without gear more than they deadlift. You might want to check your squat depth, make sure you are getting below parallel.

yeah

my squat's low due to my knee, but even when i do pin squats eliminate the deficient ROM from the lift, my deadlift is a good 100 pounds greater than my squat

to be fair, i also have the prototypical deadlifter frame

the wook on
This discussion has been closed.