As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

telling jobs I have management without using the reference?

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
ok basically in 2008 I had a good management job. The problem is because of internal theft they fired the entire team and spent the next 2 months replacing all of us. ONE person was stealing a ton of shit and none of us knew about it. this person was very good at it being that we rarely noticed missing product. We were in a high traffic area with lots of things that were easy to steal from a customer perspective, so we always thought it was theft from customers (or non-customers as it were). The thing is, I HAVE management experience, but using that store as a reference is a bad thing. They fired all of us, claiming that we ALL stole things, which never occured. My question is, is there any way I can make mention that I do indeed have managerial experience without having them look into the place I was at? Or, since I assume the obvious answer is no, is there any way I can explain what happened and have it work out? I'm asking because I've been out of a job for a couple weeks (the season ended at my last job, it was a seasonal position) and I want to get back into management if possible.

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call them and ask them to take it off your record.

I'm not sure how far this can go but I'm sure slander is still illegal.

Sipex on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're in vermont, I don't think they can fire you for theft without a police report -- so if theft was the reason you were fired you might want to check into that legally.

But they probably won't give you a favorable reference if you do that. You might just want to ask them to drop the theft crap from your record they have on file and ask if they'd give you a reference for a managerial job.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if you weren't charged with the theft, your previous workplace can't disclose why you were fired if that helps at all

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would check with your state labor laws as it's usually illegal for a former employer to give a bad reference and can be cause for a lawsuit.

Your other option is to put the job experience on your resume and ask them not to contact your former employers, and then explain the situation when you're asked why you left that company.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well that's just it, none of us were ever arrested, none of us convicted of anything (even the girl who actually stole tons and tons of shit). Actually, she did get 1 thing in the mail claiming they were suing her for 10 grand, but she (being kind of idiotic) ignored it completely and never did anything about it. Luckily for her, neither did they. They claimed we all stole a bunch of shit, but after they fired us all they never did a single thing about it. They asked us politely to "bring in anything we've taken from the store" which, for me, wasn't a single thing. I told them that and the guy on the phone was like "bullshit I have video evidence right in front of me showing you stole hundreds worth" so I told the guy "ok, if you're so certain then come show me". Nothing happened after that moment.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Call them

Pretty much anywhere will give you a good reference.

In fact (as someone who has given a ton of references) it doesn't come up if the interviewee doesn't want it to. Calling and asking "Will you give me a good reference?" is all that is needed.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh definitely, the thing is, none of the people I worked with, work there anymore as we all got fired. The only people that are constants right now are the district manager and the loss prevention people (they were stupid stuck up cunts that did nothing but assault us verbally).

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    I would check with your state labor laws as it's usually illegal for a former employer to give a bad reference and can be cause for a lawsuit.

Your other option is to put the job experience on your resume and ask them not to contact your former employers, and then explain the situation when you're asked why you left that company.

The problem here is that you'll never get the chance.

As with all of these sticky job situations, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

I've heard that employers aren't "allowed" to give a bad reference, but how would you ever find that out? All you would know is that Company X never called you for an interview.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone from your team was stealing so much they thought it best to terminate the entire team?
    That doesn't make it sound like you're a good manager.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the person who was stealing was ALSO a manager and would come in after store hours and lift a few things here and there. Where I worked, the amount stolen in any given day was within our shrink goals so it never stood out. she spent months doing this.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

As with all of these sticky job situations, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

I've heard that employers aren't "allowed" to give a bad reference, but how would you ever find that out? All you would know is that Company X never called you for an interview.

They aren't, but all the are required to do is confirm that you worked there from X date till Y date. So a reference that comes back saying "Yes he worked here from X-Y in Z position" is understood to mean "don't hire this guy"

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

They aren't, but all the are required to do is confirm that you worked there from X date till Y date. So a reference that comes back saying "Yes he worked here from X-Y in Z position" is understood to mean "don't hire this guy"

Not necessarily. A number of larger corporations are doing the flipside as well, in that they don't give any recommendations at all, positive or negative. With negative rec's they're concerned about the law, with positive ones they worry that the new company will be dissatisfied with their new employee and turn around and sue them for falsely representing information.

It's becoming more and more common to only give out position confirmation and employment dates, whether that helps or hinders your job prospects is sort of moot.

Usagi on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have a friend call the contact number and say he's doing a background check on DarkSymphony. Have him ask for dates of employment, starting/ending salary, and anything else you they can tell him about DarkSymphony.

They may ask to fax over a release form or send you to another number. Do that and follow through. Ta Daa, you now know exactly what they will say to any future employer and there is no ambiguity about whether you should leave it off your res or not.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can put work experience on a resume, and provide other references when they ask for references. If no one you worked with is at the store anymore, explain this when you provide the reference then put someone (upstanding) that you did work with as a personal and business reference.

It's not rocket science. Don't give the new potential employer the go ahead or the means to contact the old poor employer.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Laws on work references vary by state.

In Florida, ex-employers cannot answer hardly any questions at all.

Unfortunately, they CAN answer "Would you hire this person again?". To which the employer can only answer yes or no.

And.. "no" could mean a lot.

Check your state laws.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why are you even putting references on your resume? If they ask, provide them. Put down title, job duties, etc. If they ask the reason for leaving, simply state that corporate decided to clean house.

Also, for someone with 'management experience' you seem kinda clueless when it comes to business acumen. Everything mentioned in this thread is something I would expect a manager to already know, so it immediately makes me wonder exactly what it is you used to manage?

Lastly, again, if you worked as a manager, how is it you don't know how that company handles references, job verification, etc?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    it was my first management job, I didn't have it terribly long (5 months) before they cleaned house. It was entry level, keyholder management. I never said I was a GM, DM or RM.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just out of curiosity do you not have laws for unfair dismissal in the US?

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Probably a D&D topic though.

Rook on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rook wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Probably a D&D topic though.

Yup.

American case law basically says that work is a privilege not a right, although you can sue a former employer if you can demonstrate that you were terminated for discriminatory reasons (including disabilities). But generally speaking you can be fired at any time for any reason. On the flip side, you can also quit at any time for any reason.

It's a tradeoff. Freedom to quit without consequence in exchange for freedom to dismiss without consequence. Unskilled labor doesn't get a lot of mileage out of this except by using unions, but skilled labor (IT workers for example) definitely benefit from having the "I can just walk out" bomb hovering over management.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Generally speaking, states that protect employees aren't that bad and still offer certain freedoms. Something like having a valid reason for firing someone. However that just turns into something like, "I don't like (X protected thing) so I'm going to make your life hell until you quit on your own or you give me a reason to fire you."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it was my first management job, I didn't have it terribly long (5 months) before they cleaned house. It was entry level, keyholder management. I never said I was a GM, DM or RM.

Even a store manager should know all this stuff. And frankly if you weren't at least a store manager it is kind of a stretch to say you have 'management experience' based on what you have told us. Sounds more like supervisor or team lead type work. Just be careful when you read job postings and see that as a requirement that you don't end up in over your head.

travathian on