As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flying to Hawaii

KaozKaoz __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Just booked some non stop tickets to Oahu, from Newark. Can't wait for the trip, but what the hell am I going to do for the 10+ hours I am in the air. Is there an extendable battery type deal I can do for my laptop to get more than 2 hours of use? Anyone have any good book ideas or good time killers in general?

Kaoz on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you have an ipod/zune/media player? If so, one of my favorite things is to rip movies to watch. It's a good way to pass time, especially if it's something you've already seen and enjoy.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I find that puzzles really make time fly. I usually bring a couple puzzle books with me:

Crosswords, Sudoku, Kakuro, Word Searches... You name it. Also, if you're travelling with someone, get a travel version of your favourite board game.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I prefer a drug induced coma from the Dramamine. I take it 30 min to 1 h before boarding and then it's sleepy time. I get airsick though so I have a legitimate reason.

I usually buy a DS game that I haven't played yet. You get crazy battery life that should last you most of the trip if not the whole trip.

Books: I would recommend JV Jones' Sword of Shadows series. A Cavern of Black Ice is first in the series. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series are really good. The PA guys recommended The Name of the Wind on the news post.

Concerning Hawai'i, make sure you visit Kua'i if you can. Island hopping is like bus fare there and Kua'i is my favorite island. I've got family there around Lihue. Poipu is a wonderful beach and great to snorkel. Got to hang out with a Monk Seal and a sea turtle. I can't wait to go back.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I just checked Continental, and looks like no plug ins for my lappy in Economy. C'est la vie. I also might go the Dramamine route.

Kaoz on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fiddle around on your lappy, then switch to the Zune (or whatever). That'll be, roughly, 6hrs...hmm. Take a nap?

Slider on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Id just try to stay awake for the first few hours of the flight rather than the last if you decide to medicate.

I usually bring a book, a bottle of water, my mp3 player, my DS and a bag of beef jerky from the airport. Quite honestly I'd rather chew on jerky than have any sort of food an airline serves.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Bring a credit card if you want to use the in flight movies/tv.. unless only Frontier has screens in the back of their seats.

It's the one thing I regret not having for the Omaha->Denver->Seattle flight to PAX.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anyone taken continental on a long flight? I assume they are better than Southwest, and I'm not expecting lap of luxury, but any reviews would be cool.

Kaoz on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sleep as much as you can. The time zone difference will make you make you miserable for the first 2 days of your trip.

Same thing on the way back, especially if you're going back to work immediately.

Other than that, bring a few books. I suggest a guide book.

illig on