As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cars, cars, cars

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am looking to upgrade from my 04 Cavalier to something a bit more comfortable/fun to drive. I drive 50+ miles to work everyday so I figured I should be comfortable as I drive quite a bit. I am not a car guy by any means and looking for some direction on some ideas of cars to look at.

- No more then $15,000
- Used
- Don't want a 4 cylinder, prefer v6 or v8
- Would love a technology package with built in navigation for work

I would say I would rate the following of most important to least:

1. Comfortable
2. Unique looking
3. Muscle/Gas Mileage

Would appreciate any suggestions.

precisionk on

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, you didn't mention mileage, so....

Chrysler 300?

You can find Corvettes for around $15k.

Honda S2000.

BMW M3.

Volkswagon GTI.

My dad likes his Nissan Altima.

And, my mom likes her Sentra.

Well, there are a few suggestions. Hope it helps.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Well, you didn't mention mileage, so....

Chrysler 300?

You can find Corvettes for around $15k.

Honda S2000.

BMW M3.

Volkswagon GTI.

And, my mom likes her Sentra.

Well, there are a few suggestions. Hope it helps.

I appreciate the suggestions and will look into them.

Mileage, well, was hoing to keep it under 70k. As well as whatever car this is will be used year around so definitely don't want a deathtrap in the snow.

Also would prefer an automatic.

precisionk on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slider wrote: »

I'll recommend a Nissan Maxima. It's what I have, a 2003. It's 4 door, roomy, v6 with like 280 hp. Mine doesn't have any kind of technology package. I assume that would raise the cost quite a bit.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know why you don't want to look at 4-cylinders. There are plenty of models out there with 4-cylinders that are powerful enough to get you into trouble. Look at the Mazdaspeed 3, Volkswagen GTI, Honda Civic Si for just three examples. They all get great mileage too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have to drive on snow/ice on a semi-regular basis I'd look into a Subaru Outback or Legacy. If you want integrated navi you'll need to look at a highly optioned one (Limited package) or you can install one yourself for a few hundred $. I've a Legacy GT and eventhough it's a 4, it's a turbo, so still good for 230-40 hp peak: sporty, but comfortable. The 6 has similar power profile, but is a bit smoother. If getting one with 50-70K miles do know a timing belt replacement is scheduled at 60K miles. Outback has better ground clearance and more storage (wagon), and tends to have more options.

Djeet on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, don't blame the lack of power in a Cavalier on the engine. It's mostly the mass of the vehicle coupled with a transmission that takes about six weeks to shift and has some sort of vortex that funnels power off into a different dimension. It's nice to have a car with good throttle response that will speed up or slow down quickly if you need it, but there are a lot of 4 cylinder cars out there that can do that, so don't discount them right off the bat. Especially if you're looking for one in the sub15k price range.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you want comfortable and a big engine you probably are looking at bigger cars than your Cavalier. Sounds like you want a Charger R/T or a Pontiac G8.

Backstop on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looking for snow? Want a fun car?

Look at a Jaguar X-type. V6, 2.5L or 3.0L, AWD (assuming you live in North America they are all AWD), classy and should be around your budget for a 2005 - 2007. Might have a bit of trouble finding one with Nav, but they do make them, so look around a bit. Checking Craigslist for Minneapolis there seems to be a lot (I don't know if you actually live near there but from your location status I guessed) in your price range that would be good options.

This one doesn't have your nav, but only 27,000 miles.

2005 3.0L for $13,999

2005 3.0L $13,940

None of these have the Nav you wanted, but do have most of the other features that a technology package on most cars would have. It also meets the comfortable, unique looking, and meets the muscle/gas mileage requirements (it has a good balance of the two, is what I'm saying, it's obviously not a Bugatti and obviously not a Prius.)

You might hear comments about the X-type being a Ford Mondeo, but it really isn't true, they share a platform, but over 80% of the parts are Jaguar parts. Also, Jaguar reliability has improved a ton since the 90s - which is another complaint you might hear about it.

Also, I should mention I'm a bit Jaguar biased and have a ridiculous love of them.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I don't know why you don't want to look at 4-cylinders. There are plenty of models out there with 4-cylinders that are powerful enough to get you into trouble. Look at the Mazdaspeed 3, Volkswagen GTI, Honda Civic Si for just three examples. They all get great mileage too.

I think its because I drive a cavalier now and want an engine with a little more umph

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    If you want comfortable and a big engine you probably are looking at bigger cars than your Cavalier. Sounds like you want a Charger R/T or a Pontiac G8.

I have looked at the Charger R/T's and they are a bit out of the price range. Haven't looked at any Pontiac's. I believe its my thinking that all 4cy are like my cav, slow and unresponsive. Not to say all v4's are, but I do like the power of that v6 or v8.

I have looked at some Acura's TL's as they look quite sexy, but I have never owned a "foreign" car that wasn't a Chevy/Jeep. I imagine having 100k miles on a TL is nothing for them?

precisionk on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the nav requirement, have you considered buying a standalone unit? Typically they'll only run you $100 - $200 and cars with built in nav systems usually have a $500 - $1000 premium on them over models without.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    precisionk wrote: »

I have looked at the Charger R/T's and they are a bit out of the price range. Haven't looked at any Pontiac's. I believe its my thinking that all 4cy are like my cav, slow and unresponsive. Not to say all v4's are, but I do like the power of that v6 or v8.

I have looked at some Acura's TL's as they look quite sexy, but I have never owned a "foreign" car that wasn't a Chevy/Jeep. I imagine having 100k miles on a TL is nothing for them?
    There are plenty of non-4cyl Pontiacs. The G8 mentioned above is one of them. They're worth a look, especially the GXP versions, although the price on those may be a bit too high.

As to the slow 4cyls, it really depends. A naturally aspriated (non-turbo charged) 4 cylinder is rarely going to have the accelleration of a performance oriented v8 and basically never the torque of one. They can still be pretty quick, though, and certainly quicker than your Cavalier. One you get into turbo charged 4 cylinders all bets are off on how fast they are, too. A recent Subaru WRX (turbo 4 cyl) will give my very mildly built '99 Cobra (8 cyl) a run for its money off the line in 0-60 and 1/4 mile and will be more forgiving of a bad launch due to the awd and would eat my car up in some twisties..

As a side note, it's not a v-4. 4 cylinder envines don't have the cylinders in a v-shape, they are generally all 4 cylinders in a line and called an inline-4 or just 4 cylinder. Not trying to be a pedantic asshole, hopefully just helpful so that you don't say something silly in front of a car salesman or on a less forgiving forum.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »

There are plenty of non-4cyl Pontiacs. The G8 mentioned above is one of them. They're worth a look, especially the GXP versions, although the price on those may be a bit too high.

As to the slow 4cyls, it really depends. A naturally aspriated (non-turbo charged) 4 cylinder is rarely going to have the accelleration of a performance oriented v8 and basically never the torque of one. They can still be pretty quick, though, and certainly quicker than your Cavalier. One you get into turbo charged 4 cylinders all bets are off on how fast they are, too. A recent Subaru WRX (turbo 4 cyl) will give my very mildly built '99 Cobra (8 cyl) a run for its money off the line in 0-60 and 1/4 mile and will be more forgiving of a bad launch due to the awd and would eat my car up in some twisties..

As a side note, it's not a v-4. 4 cylinder envines don't have the cylinders in a v-shape, they are generally all 4 cylinders in a line and called an inline-4 or just 4 cylinder. Not trying to be a pedantic asshole, hopefully just helpful so that you don't say something silly in front of a car salesman or on a less forgiving forum.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I don't know much about the whole engine terms and what not.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I don't know much about the whole engine terms and what not.
    np. I really only know just enough to convince a knowledgeable person that I also know what I'm talking about right before I say something stupid.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    np. I really only know just enough to convince a knowledgeable person that I also know what I'm talking about right before I say something stupid.

Looks like the G8's look to be out the price range, though they do look nice.

Am I goofy enough to like the v6 Mustang's? I know its not a true Mustang if its not a V8, but I do like the body style of the 08-10's.

precisionk on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With the constraints you have, you could probably get a Saturn Aura v6 for around 15k, with low miles to boot.

And with the money you save on the car, buy a $200 Garmin GPS.

The Aura isn't the prettiest car, but it has clean lines, is dependable, and something you could drive into the ground.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Am I goofy enough to like the v6 Mustang's? I know its not a true Mustang if its not a V8, but I do like the body style of the 08-10's.

Actually, they were just talking about the new v6 mustang having 305 horsepower and being really fuel effiecient in the SE++ car thread.

Just don't go for the older v6 mustangs. those things suck.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love love love my 2007 VW GTI. It's a turbo 4-cylinder that is a blast to drive without being balls-out enough to get into too much trouble, it has just about the most comfortable sport seats I've ever sat in, and there's tons of room in the back with the seats down for stuff.

You can easily find a 2005 to 2007 for under/around 15k.

Also, the regular mazda3 is a good car for a great price. A good friend of mine had one for a while that was pretty much loaded out, and it was very nice. Comfortable, lots of great modern toys for making your drive more fun and comfy, a good stereo... not quite as fun to drive as my GTI, but definitely nicer with more creature comforts. He sold it with a dent in the back for about 13k, so you could probably find a nicely optioned one without damage for 14-15k. I think his was a 2007 model.

And yeah, get a separate nav. Much less expensive than an auto maker's in-dash unit.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love my Dodge Charger v6, you should look into one. Very comfortable, tons of room inside and in the trunk and pretty cool looking if you ask me. But if I had to do it again I'd buy the 3.5 instead of the 2.7.

Look for an '08, they redid the interior after '07 and it's nicer even on the lower models.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Actually, they were just talking about the new v6 mustang having 305 horsepower and being really fuel effiecient in the SE++ car thread.

Yeah, the new v6 mustangs are pretty sweet. You could probably get into a used Mustang GT with reasonable mileage for under $15k. Hell, I just found a 2001 Cobra with 57xxx miles for under $13k semi-locally. So if you'd be interested in a V8 Mustang, it's definitely doable.

From a fun and reliability perspective, I'd definitely recommend one (I've had a couple old 90's 4 cylinders that I learned to drive in, an '83 5.0, and my '99 Cobra). They aren't the most distinctive cars due to being common (at least in v6 trim, but 99% of the people you meet couldn't tell you the difference) and the interiors are pretty bare bones, so they may not be what you're looking for. As has been mentioned, though, stuff like a nav and the like can be added later for pretty cheap.

The rwd aspect also makes year round driving tricky sometimes, but really, just be smart and you'll be alright. I've known many people who drove v8 mustangs year round in the snow and whatever. Plus in most non-rural areas, the roads are cleared enough that you're ok to drive within a day anyway.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Also, the regular mazda3 is a good car for a great price. A good friend of mine had one for a while that was pretty much loaded out, and it was very nice. Comfortable, lots of great modern toys for making your drive more fun and comfy, a good stereo... not quite as fun to drive as my GTI, but definitely nicer with more creature comforts. He sold it with a dent in the back for about 13k, so you could probably find a nicely optioned one without damage for 14-15k. I think his was a 2007 model.

I really have to agree with this. I have 3 friends who have Mazda 3s, and they love them. And my friends, like me, are complete car nuts. They want performance, and cornering, and all that. And yet, they all love the Mazda 3s and drive them more often than their other higher performing cars. It has more torque and horsepower than your crapalier ever had, and corners better, and has better reliability, and better gas mileage.

If you're really set on having an engine with more than 4 cylinders, why not look at the Mazda 6 then?

My question for you, is why do you want a car with more "umph," as you put it? Are you just cruising for most of the time to work? If that's the case, why would you want a car with a larger engine that's going to suck more fuel, with a larger engine of which you're not really going to take advantage? Are you looking for something that you can mod? Do you just want unnecessary speed, unnecessary money wasted on gas at the pump every week, and unnecessary speeding tickets and moving violations? Are you looking for just a daily driver to get to work, and replace your current car, or what? What exactly is your motivation here?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd recommend a 2006-2007 Ford Fusion. You can find them with a 3.0 Liter V6 and AWD. Mine has been rock solid in the snow and zero mechanical problems. I think they look nice too, personally.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

My dad has a 2001 mustang V6, it guzzles gas and isnt' that fast of a car.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

My dad has a 2001 mustang V6, it guzzles gas and isnt' that fast of a car.

actually I meant the even older ones. I think they were late 70s or early 80s that were truly horrible cars.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're in Minnesota, Subarus are hard to beat.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Why so if I may ask?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd recommend a 2006-2007 Ford Fusion. You can find them with a 3.0 Liter V6 and AWD. Mine has been rock solid in the snow and zero mechanical problems. I think they look nice too, personally.

Do you by any chance have Microsoft's SYNC in your fusion? Talking regular Fusion or the hybrid?

precisionk on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Why so if I may ask?

Excellent AWD system. They seem popular with the frugal skiers I know, with packages that include engine block heaters, seat heaters, hill hold, and roof racks.

Djeet on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why so if I may ask?
    Their AWD system is second-to-none, they're stable, very dependable, and common enough that it's not going to be a problem finding people that work on them.

They're basically Hondas for the snow.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why so if I may ask?
    Their AWD system is second-to-none, they're stable, very dependable, and common enough that it's not going to be a problem finding people that work on them.

They're basically Hondas for the snow.

When my Rav 4 dies I'm getting a Forrester. You see a lot of them in MA because they're nice looking and good in the snow.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Do you by any chance have Microsoft's SYNC in your fusion? Talking regular Fusion or the hybrid?

I don't, they started making the SYNC standard the build right after mine. It's still got an Ipod jack and a nice sound system, though I bet you could find a fusion with SYNC in your price range. I would recommend a regular fusion. It's unlikely you'll find a hybrid for under 15000 that doesn't have a ton of miles on it. The 3.0 V6 doesn't get fabulous mileage, and the AWD makes it slightly worse still ( I get about 20 mpg city, 27 highway ) but it does have some balls. And with Utah winters I wouldn't trade the AWD for anything.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I once had a Toyota 4 cyl truck, put 100,000 miles on it with only a starter motor ever going bad. I thought I wanted something with more "umph" so I traded it for a Ford half ton with a V-8. I thought my gas gauge was broken after the first 20 miles.

If you are commuting as much as you say, you should really not be too hasty in abandoning 4cyl economy. You can find 4s with turbo that still sip gas when you want AND have plenty of "go fast" when you need it.

Floowid on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know this doesn't fit within your requirements but save up another $10,000 and get brand new Nissan Leaf for $25,000. Has built in navigation that they say is like a i-Phone built into the dash and the miles per gallon equivalent is three times better then the best gasoline car on the market... or at least that is what people say. Though, you won't get it till Dec. 2010. The range is 100 miles and they are adding charging stations to all the major cities starting on the west coast. Then again, it's a brand new car and you want a used one.

It's the car I am getting as soon as I get out of college and get meh a jub. Meh like that lack of moving parts in electric cars, equals less breakable parts. Not to mention electric cars fuel is 30 cents a gallon equivalent and electric cars owns gasoline cars off the line up because of their amazing torque. Leaf looks nice, love the back end. Plus Captain Planet loves it.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had 3 Cavaliers, which I appreciated for their economy while my budget didn't allow for anything extravagant. Once that changed I upgraded to the much roomier, umphier, and feature-rich, Monte Carlo SS. That is pretty much the end of my story.

Something I've discovered though, is there really isn't a car for everyone. Despite how popular or acclaimed or cool looking any car is, you really have to go out there and find the one that fits you. Do some test driving, because it should be pretty obvious when you've found your car.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So with all the 4cy talk with turbo's, I have decided to take a look at these. What are some 4cy with turbos that would kind of fit the luxury bill?

precisionk on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4 cylinders with a turbo? I'd recommend (heavily biased btw) a Subaru Legacy GT Limited. Given, the AWD will, reduce gas mileage, but I love mine. Has sunroof, leather, heated seats, pretty much everything but nav. Also (at altitude mind you), it's a bit faster than my buddies BMW M3, and when you factor in the benefits in snow it's an all around great package.

Other options would be the Audi A4, several VW's also used the 1.8 liter turbo engine (4 cyl). Though then you're getting into Audi's and VW's, which are much more expensive to maintain/repair. You also get the benefits of a sedan with the Legacy.

All this is before you get to the fact that the car is incredibly fun to drive. It's fast, and coupled with a 5 speed manual it gets from 0-60 somewhere between 5.7 and 6.8 seconds (depending on who you reference), not to mention the AWD makes taking corners oh so awesome.

milehigh on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Legacy is definitely the more luxurious package, but don't discount the WRX for a fun car. Also, the Boxer engine design (Horizontally opposed) will get you more torque than you think. Also, very, very smooth ride. I have a N/A Impreza, 2009, and it's more fun than any non-turbo 4-cyl has any right to be.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm gonna say something, but I want you to think about the money savings, extra warranty and recent reviews before you all laugh.

Kia Forte Koup

Ryna on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm more of a RWD V8 guy, so I don't know tons of 4 cyl turbo options. I'd definitely have a look at the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Friends of mine who, like me, are more your standard built camaro/mustang/etc drivers have even told me that those cars were the most fun cars they've ever driven after getting to try one out.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I drive a Cavalier too, but it's a stick-shift. Everyone who has a Cavalier and rides with me comments on the V-6 being a big improvement over the 4-cyl... but I have a 4-cyl as well. The transmission is part of your problem, Cavaliers are meant to be cheap to build, cheap to buy, and cheap to drive. They are A-to-B cars for people who don't care about cars.

So, V-6, Turbo-4, bored-over smallblock V8, whatever, if you test out a car that's even sort of geared to performance you're going to find it a lot zippier than your current ride.

If you're at all worried about snow performance I second the Subaru suggestion. If you are a skilled driver who pays attention to what his car is doing you can go rear-wheel-drive, just get good tires to put on in the winter and swap in regular tires for the six weeks of summer you get up there.

Backstop on