As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art of War: Dick Painting: A new kind of brush head

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
dsc_0001pqcz.jpg
(Picture not done by forum users)

A lot of tabletop games involve the use of miniatures or other play aids (hand-made dungeons, illustrations, paintings, etc), and this is the thread for them. Herein we talk shop about the full gauntlet of tabletop hobby activities: modelling, painting, sculpting, converting, and many more I am certain I have forgotten. Do not be afraid to ask questions! We all started horribly, and we have no problem letting you know our secret painting methods(in turn, making them not so secret).

Penny Arcade Art of War Challenge.
(Information contained in this here spoiler, ran by Anon the Felon)
This is a free-form "contest". Where members may join for single or multiple events if they wish, while persistent participants will be able to "Prove their metal" against each other in the final weeks. The event will also provide a way for participants to get more parts of their armies painted, while keeping motivated by the over arching challenge, and each other.

Rules are fairly simple. Starting at the first of March, we will work our way through the 40k Force Organization Chart. Each event will last 2 weeks, and will have 2 options to pick and paint from. Players of Warhammer Fantasy and Warmachine are also welcome to participate! The more the merrier!

We base the system off the "Honor Code" meaning, try not to cheat. We're all here to have fun and get some painting done!
This is a short example of how each event will happen: At the first of March it is announced we will be painting either an HQ or Troop choice (Hero or Core for Fantasy, Warcaster or Troop for Warmachine). From the first, you will have until the 15th of March to make a post on this thread, that has:

A TIMESTAMPED picture of your models in either bare plastic or base primer. This must be timestamped from the camera itself. I realize this can be manipulated, but that kind of ruins the spirit. This time stamp must be from the first to the 15th of March. When ever you get around to assembling is priming is your buisness, but the closer to the close date, the more rushed you will be!

The post will also contain a TIMESTAMPED picture of your models fully painted to the best of your ability. Same rules apply, if your post is done on the 16th, and you have the 15th on all your pictures? Great! We all know how busy life can be. But the closer you can get to posting on or before the final date, the better off you will be.

You see, as the challenge is going on, we'll be able to help each other. Giving tips on better highlighting, explaining how we got that perfect yellow pigment. Its about learning, getting better, and getting some painting done!

Once we have done a full run through the force org chart, we will have a 2 week painting contest, where the folks who participated in at least 75% of the challenge can post their best work (same timestamp process, you can't post the GD winner you bought on ebay) they can do in 2 weeks, we'll vote and he'll be crowned "King of the Art of War"...until some one dethrones him the next challenge!

List of Events:
2 Weeks per, with 1 to 2 days in between for rest/purchase/whatever. I will post when the challenge is starting, from that post, you will have 2 weeks to complete:
Purchase, Assembly, Priming, Painting, Posting.

If you've already done parts of this, there is no problem, just remember, you must be starting with models that are at most in the primed state. And document your progress.

Events in order of progression:
HQ or Troop/Lord or Core/Warcaster or Infantry
Elite or Fast Attack/Hero or Special/Warjack or Solo
Troop or Heavy Support/Special or Core/Solo or Infantry
Fast Attack or Troop/Hero or Rare/Warjack or Infantry
Heavy Support or Elite or HQ/Core or Rare or Hero or Lord/Warcaster or Warjack or Solo

The final painting competition will be any 1 modal of your choosing. Troop selections can include the dedicated transport if you want, but is not required. You can also fill any spot with a dedicated transport if you wish.

I have tried to include a varied composition, since not all armies are the same. If you just can't fill the slot for that week, but wish to participate anyway, you can always include a Troop/Core/Warjack choice instead. But trying to stick to the order or progression is a great way to expand and paint a varied army.

There are some great sites out there for painters, converters, etc. While I am not personally big on using them, I know a lot of people do. Feel free to let me know any other sites you know, I'll throw them into this post!

http://www.brushthralls.com/ - A long time favorite of many of the users on these forums, filled with good tutorials

www.dakkadakka.com - While its more community than anything else, the modeling and painting forums are a great place to get advice on things.

In this thread, a number of questions come up often about certain aspects of painting, so this is a small F.A.Q. for questions you have. If any of our regular viewers would like to add to this, just let me know!
Q: I see these beautiful models people post, so why do my models come out so much worse?
A: This is a hard question to answer, although part of it may just be you being critical of your own models. However, there are a few things that mini painters tend to all do, that highly increase the looks of their miniatures. First, you should always use primer on your models, whether plastic or metal. There are black and white primers, as well as coloured ones, such as red and green. I prefer white, but many people swear by the others. Experiment!

From there, it generally goes to base coating, which is what most people think at "painting". This is getting the main colours on parts. For example, you would be putting blue paint mainly on an ultramarine, with gold on certain parts, etcetera. This is also a good place to mention that you should generally water down your paints, especially if you use the main citadel line of paints. Just a few drops of water will really help getting the basecoats done.

The next two steps can be done interchangably, though I prefer to highlight before washing. So highlighting. This is just the practice of painting lighter colours on the raised parts and hard edges of a miniature. For example, lets take an imperial double eagle(the one with the two wings and two heads). Lets say this was painted with boltgun silver. You might, then, use mithril silver with a small brush to paint the edges of the feathers. This helps the model really pop, and look more striking.

Washing is the other step here. A wash is a heavily watered down paint, meant to pool in the recesses of a model to create shading and depth. The citadel washes are amazing, quite simply. They just work. Badab black will work in 90% of cases, though devlan mud has its place, and the other colors as well.

Q: Ohh no, I hate how this model came out. Should I just repaint over it?
A: No, that would really kill a lot of the detail. Models are not very hard to strip! Simple green is the commonly used solution to strip a model of paint. Just leave your models submerged in simple green for at least an hour(overnight works better), and take a toothbrush to them to get off the paint afterwards(You probably dont want to use the toothbrush on your teeth later). Acetone can work for metal models, but be careful to make sure they don't have plastic parts; Acetone will eat plastic.

Q: Do I have to use GW's paints?
A: No, although you probably want to use miniature paints of some sort. These include Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, P3, and other paints. Make sure its a paint meant for miniatures, and that its acrylic, water based paint.

As it always comes up in these threads, here's Ashers method of painting his tyranids

harrison7.jpg

Asher wrote:
Recipe is dead easy:
White undercoat (Skull white Spray)
Paint carapace Bestial Brown in a couple of watered down layers to get even coverage.

Now this is where it varies. For baby bugs, you can skip the next for steps and go to the straight Bleached Bone Layer. For bigger things do the following:

Streak inwards with a large brush using a 60/40 Bestial Brown/Bleached bone mix. Maybe go 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the plate with this layer.

Then do the same using 40/60 Brown to Bone instead. Obviously you don't streak in as far.

Then you streak in using straight Bleached Bone. Use a small brush and have a lot of patience to get a good result. You can see in that picture about how far to go in.

Now, once again it depends on whether you're painting a baby bug or big bug. For Big Bugs, I carefully wash any recessed areas with Devlan mud, then go back with Skull White to tidy up any accidental splashes. Baby Bugs don't need this step.

Then, go ahead and wash the whole thing with Badab Black. You can water it down to keep the look a bit brighter if you want.

Then go back and re-streak with straight Bleached Bone again. This will give the edges of the carapace some nice depth.

Final step, Big Bugs only, mix 50/50 Skull White and Bleached Bone and do some selective streaking on the carapace to add a bit of highlighting. I haven't done that in that picture.

Hope that helps!

We've been blessed with some incredible work shown off in the thread. Here is but a taste of some of the pieces of art we saw in the last thread:

tigershark009.jpg -
Gabriel likes aircraft

barracuda003.jpg

sp4.jpg -
Zatar's terminators

blood_angel.jpg-
Sevorak too!

4169763719_6497fbacd0.jpg
Saluksic's tau

IMG_0072.JPG -
Grimdog's cool looking... warmachine... dude

scouta.jpg -
I would hump -SPI-'s scouts

4.jpg -
-SPI- gets two pictures, because c'mon, look at these dudes

4386804522_1c203824ac_b.jpg -
We are blessed with fantastic space wolves painters, like Altmann

IMG_1875.jpg
And Matrias

1.jpg -
Darkseer sold these guys. I have a bridge he may be interested in.

4386173344_f45ab9e6f5_b.jpg-
Mago makes red look amazing

IMG_2350.jpg -
I paint too

IMG_2353.jpg -
I've been called a paint whore

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel bad :(

Mainly because of the thread title.

THUNDERWOLF CAV INCOMING (prob by end of weekend they'll be done)

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the kinds words thus far. The next one should look much cleaner as I bought a pot of Badab Black to do the black wash instead of trying to thin the Vallejo into a proper wash.

I also noticed that the torso looks rusted where I applied the orange drybrush when you look at the figure in whiter light. I may drybrush the rest of the first guy in orange to see if the effect looks good all over the figure.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the kinds words thus far. The next one should look much cleaner as I bought a pot of Badab Black to do the black washes after the primer has dried.

I also noticed that the torso looks rusted with the orange drybrush on when in whiter light. I may drybrush the rest of the first guy in orange to see if the effect looks good all over the figure.

I like your Necrons. The red is effective, and not overdone. Good job. A highlight on the tubing of the weapon would do some good.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When I start painting, it will look bad, and I will feel bad. The thread is ready for me!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I meant to say, the red necrons were actually nice. I like them with a little color. Continue.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gahmrious wrote: »
    Thanks for the kinds words thus far. The next one should look much cleaner as I bought a pot of Badab Black to do the black washes after the primer has dried.

I also noticed that the torso looks rusted with the orange drybrush on when in whiter light. I may drybrush the rest of the first guy in orange to see if the effect looks good all over the figure.

I like your Necrons. The red is effective, and not overdone. Good job. A highlight on the tubing of the weapon would do some good.

What would be the best way to do the highlight? I suppose I'd need to go grab a lighter green to put on the tube?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I wish Zatar, Mago, and Sevorak graced our thread more often.

Or maybe I just like red marines...

Awesome work everyone! It's especially cool to see new painters posting here.

I am excited for Monday, when I will join in the painting competition.

saluksic on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I made the OP? Awesome. 8-)

I need to paint something for this thread...

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I finally have what I want for another 2 tattoos, one of which is directly 40k themed.

First up is getting "whatever" on the inside of my lip. Possibly w/e to shorten it.

Next an' more importantly, iz I'm gonna be gettin' da Weird Boy symbol tatted behind me roight ear. Thinkin all black an wot 'ave you, ta show meself as finally findin' me place with tha' boyz.

I'm still trying to think of a way to incorporate ork checkers into something.

edit: and excuse me do my world eaters not deserve to be in the op? I mean I'm as much a fixture as the others on here :'<

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    your world eaters look bad and you should feel bad

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;13879961']your world eaters look bad and you should feel bad

If it were true I'd be offended. But it's not, so I'm not.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm just keeping with the theme!

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yay, new painting thread!

Gonna try my darndest to get some miniatures painted so I can post pics in this one...

Nechriah on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blue dotting since it's late, and I can never find threads unless I do this...

I also have nothing to contribute at this point.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just getting myself a little yellow dot thing.

My Tervigon is almost done, just gotta do the blue slimy bitz and clean up the rest so I should be done before sunday...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hay Guyz! Wanna see if I can paint Njal Stormcaller w/runic TDA between now and the competition close?

Wait, when does the first phase close again?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hooray! New art thread. Post art, everyone!

EddieDean on
  • Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I made the OP?! Sweet! :mrgreen:

@saluksic: I'll try to get some more pictures of my BAs up, but I don't have that much painted. :P

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thread needs more
    LIGHTNING
    enemo5.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, hey, new thread. Time to post that guy I promised.

DSC01627.jpg

Huntera on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Verflutche, I like your models, but I think you're relying a little too heavily on your washes. They give your models shading, but sometimes the shading is a bit too heavy where the ink gathers. It's good to use washes, but perhaps the next thing you should look into is layering and highlighting.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You silly goose, he's missing an entire arm! :winky:
    Seriously though, how many models have you painted now? It would be nice to get a picture of the entire army.

@Asher: Nemo looks rad, I assume you use just some metal wire to do the lightning? What's the diametre?

Mago on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Big tournament next weekend, so I've got to get some figures painted so I can get my butt kicked with the proper esthetics.

New thread, looks great. Seems roomy.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mago wrote: »
    You silly goose, he's missing an entire arm! :winky:
    Seriously though, how many models have you painted now? It would be nice to get a picture of the entire army.

@Asher: Nemo looks rad, I assume you use just some metal wire to do the lightning? What's the diametre?

Yeah it's just wire. I honestly can't remember the diameter. I *think* it's 1/2 or 1/4 mm. I lost the drill bit I used ages ago, and the wire came from a pile of old electronics stuff. The thick wire on the base is either 1 or 1.5 mm for reference.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sadly I use paperclips for like every piece of pinning/wire.

For some reason it's just easier for me and it fits the diameter of my micro-drills perfectly.

Hence why my marines are held together by glue and paperclips.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey me too! It's also convenient to just grab a handful out the stationary cupboard before I knock off for the day.

J on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Copying my Logan Grimnar for ease of finding when the HQ portion of the contest closes:

4u8fvp.jpg

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yo slapnuts! Love the model, but you need to base that thing!

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's obvious he's inside of a necron tomb from the basing he's done.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    Thread needs more
    LIGHTNING
    enemo5.jpg

Lock the thread and stop the competition. Asher's won already.
    (I forgot to say it was awesome in the last thread :P)

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Allright, I now had the time to take some pictures of my Howling Banshees. You may notice these models is not the current range, so I have had them for quite a while. :P I was in the process of painting them when someone :x decided to kick off the painting competition a bit early. Hence I have no proper entry for this stage.

Anyway, here they are:
    4409009736_836f4315f8_b.jpg
    And a closeup of the Exarch:
    4408245045_af8813243d_b.jpg

Also, due to popular demand: More Blood Angels.
    4409011732_8ccbbaedaf_b.jpg

Mago on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mago I want to make love to your Blood Angels Red.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dammit! I don't have anything in the OP this time around...

I should get painting!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aw man, mine look bad and I do feel bad!
    Thinking I may buy a Warjack for the next round of competition, I've been meaning to get into Warmachine or Hordes anyway. God help me.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My Lone Wolf is coming along nicely. The legs are bathing in Simple Green at the moment, but once that is done and reprimed, I should be done soon.
    4406703699_621bede174_o.jpg

4408479371_67577ba7cb_o.jpg

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    Mago I want to make love to your Blood Angels Red.

Thank you for your... slightly disturbing words. :?

I'm no longer allowed to give people it's phone number after that one incident with the two Daemon princes of Nurgle...

Mago on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mago wrote: »

Also, due to popular demand: More Blood Angels.
    4409011732_8ccbbaedaf_b.jpg

I really like the darkening you've done around the edges on that.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    My Lone Wolf is coming along nicely. The legs are bathing in Simple Green at the moment, but once that is done and reprimed, I should be done soon.

oh, that is a really cool chainfist conversion.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Matrias wrote: »
    DragonPup wrote: »

oh, that is a really cool chainfist conversion.

Thanks, I wish I could say I came up with the idea, but it works out very nicely. It also looks hella more dynamic than the GW chainfists.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Welp, here's my entry for the competition. Completely forgot I was going to paint his gun drones too, but luckily, he's still a valid HQ without it ;)

I may touch him up a bit, but I think this will do.

IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118