As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I get better at pool?

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm okay at pool. My only real experience is playing with my buddy whenever we go to the bar. I'd say a good 70% of shots that are lined up go where I want them to, and when I have to set up a rebound shot or trickier, I get it maybe 30-45% of the time. I really love the game, though, and I'd like to get better. Luckily my favorite bar has free pool days twice a week, so I can get in a fair amount of practice... I just don't really know where to start. Should I just start doing drills or something? Set up a particular shot and try to make it a ton of times in a row? Or what? I just don't really know how to start getting better.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just play a lot

really all there is to it

concentrate on what you are doing and think the shots through, and play often

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A ton of practice is about the long and short of it. Eventually you just start to see how the balls will react when struck. A couple of fine things to practice:

English: Striking the top of the cue ball will make it roll forward after hitting another ball/rail; hitting the bottom will make the ball stop/roll backwards after hitting another ball/rail. Really to get this down, just mess around with different shots.

Rail Shots: If the object ball you're gunning for is up against the rail, try to strike the cue ball so it hit's the rail first, then immediately hits the object ball. If done right this should keep the object ball hugging the rail all the way to one of the corner pockets. This type of shot takes a decent amount of practice.

Breaking: There are a few different ways people break. I myself try to strike the rack head on; whereas some people like to go at an angle. What should help, though, is to grip your cue in as far back as possible with your rear hand. When striking the cue ball, aim for the top (to give the ball forward english.) Follow through as much as you can on this shot, for me anyway, it seems to help add power to the shot.

Finally, you're pretty much in charge of knowing when and where to call fouls. Having knowledge of how the game is supposed to be played helps you in two ways: one you can call people (hopefully while avoiding just being a dick) on their fouls, and two you'll know how to avoid fouling. There's a lot more to it than that, but there are a few things to work on.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I took it as a gym class in high school. Basically, you apply stuff you learn in drills to real life situations (English, breaking, etc.)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only real solution is practice (I learned by sharking kids for quarters at the community center I worked at.) But there are some specific things that people always seem to miss/get wrong:

1) Don't hit the ball so hard. The #1 thing people do that gets them into trouble is try to hit the cue ball much harder than they have to. Harder to be accurate and more likely to have bad outcomes after the shot.

2) Use the dots (there is probably a technical term for them but, eh.) By laying your cue across the table and using the dots as a guide, you can line up opposing angles really easily and it eliminates a lot of the guesswork from your bank shots.

Also, play games that force you to attempt harder shots. 9 ball is great for this.

edit: also don't call fouls at a bar table unless they're really egregious

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All good advice.

In addition:

Play with people who are better than you as often as you can and pay attention to what they do.

Think about your shot selection in advance. Don't just take the first shot you see or the easiest ones to make. Think about what shots will be available to you after you take a given shot. Also, think about what will be available to your opponent after you take a shot.

oldsak on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Play with people better than you, a lot.

But the number one thing I learned from people who ran the table on me consistently (I beat them a couple times when they didn't:)) is that you need to MAKE THE SHOT YOU ARE ON. Don't be stupid and think about your awesome 6 shot run and then miss the first one.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Also, play games that force you to attempt harder shots. 9 ball is great for this.

I feel this is very good for getting better in a casual bar setting. I find a game of 9 ball takes longer, I have to be more careful with all of my shots, I have to solve more specific and difficult problems, and after a game of 9 ball, you get to play a game of 6+whatever was left ball, so your quarters last longer. If you have a group of friends you play with regular (some friends and I would hit one of the local bars for food about once a week), try to get them to play some 9 ball some of the time.

piL on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the pointers, keep 'em coming if anyone has anything else to add.

My buddy and I actually prefer 9 ball over 8 ball, so that's good.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whatever you do, don't play for money....

And practice makes perfect. Also, make sure the table is at least marginally playable. Playing on a table with rails that are dented to shit and the table angles 10 degrees is NOT a good way to play/get better.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Buy a stick. Any stick really. It doesn't have to be expensive, but being straight and not having a fucked up house stick tip that's probably hit the deck a thousand times a week will help.

I've found the key is being gentle and playing a lot. Play a game of 8 ball by yourself and take the tough shots. If I fuck up a shot terribly I'll pick up the cue ball, reset the shot and try again... until I get something approximating what I was going for.

The side pockets are the key to victory. Learn to cut to them and where to aim so you don't hit the nipple and miss the shot.

Also, be GENTLE. Seriously, unless you're trying to draw the cue ball a couple of feet back there's no real reason to use more than just mild force. Think of it as a nudge more than a strike.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would also say to start watching professional pool on television.

Javen on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    watch theDonald Duck video.

But seriously just practice. Allatime practice. A good game to practice with a friend is straight pool, the game from the Hustler.

And don't play for money until you can win, I won 40 dollars last night on a table. good times.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Most novices hit too hard, have the butt of the cue jacked up, and don't followthrough enough. Your shotmaking may improve just by lowering the butt of the cue (e.g. visualize the cue being nearly parallel to the table), hitting softer and carrying forward with the cue through the ball. Many also grip the cue too hard with the driving hand, if you're making a fist around the cue you're gripping it too hard; except for very specific shots, I hold it only with my thumb and the fore and index fingers, though that's a bit extreme in the other direction. If you're struggling with shotmaking, shoot the center of the cueball, don't bother with english until you're a reasonable shotmaker.

If you only use an open bridge, develop a closed bridge, also develop a high bridge so you can shoot when the cue ball is near an object ball.

Once your shot-making improves focus on cue ball control. Ideally, outside of breaks, the only balls that move are the cue ball and the ball you're making (and that should just barely make it to the pocket). Though I'm a touch player and that's the kind of game I like to play. There are other styles of play.

Also, learn 1-pocket. Most people who know this game are old farts who can really play, or league players.

Djeet on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I would also say to start watching professional pool on television.

Or go to the tournaments. Or, hell, go to a local pool hall and watch them run people in person.

<-- Saw jeanette lee run tables while her husband just sat back and enjoyed the show. I mean, how do you NOT know Jeanette Lee if you play pool?!

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That donald duck video actually really helps a lot. I always knew the diamonds were to help you line up shots, but I had no idea there was an actual system to it.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Go play some snooker and you can come back to pool with much more confidence. As someone said earlier, don't smash every shot, minimum pace can work wonders.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    msh1283msh1283 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    First thing, make sure your bridge is solid. Plenty of info on this on the internet.

Next, make sure you don't have a lot of friction when you slide the cue across your bridge. Chalk is a messy solution, a glove is a nerdy solution.

Here's the drill that will help you more than anything: Put a coke bottle on the table. Line up with the coke bottle as if you were addressing the cue ball. Practice your stroke here. You want to be able to thread the mouth of the bottle without touching the sides. The number one reason for missing a shot is not hitting the cue ball where you intended.

Next biggest tip: Follow through with your stroke and keep your head down until the cue ball stops moving. Unless you need to get out of its way.

Last tip: Don't stroke harder than you need to achieve position for your next shot.

msh1283 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that Donald Duck video is amazing. I never knew of those tips that were displayed in that video. Maybe I'll get better because of it.

Yeah, I will echo the tips, practice and play with people much better than you. You will pick it up pretty quick.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    haha yes, the donald duck geometry video. I had a math teacher in high school who used to love to show us that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, I just wanted to say I did twice as good tonight as I normally do. I won two games of cutthroat, one game of 8-ball, and one game of 9-ball. Thanks everyone!

Raiden333 on