As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] ITT we all get behind gnomes.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I keep thinking if you open a "exit point" directly adjacent to the "entry point", the front part's of each being 180 degrees vertical of each other. So you travel through what equates to a U. From there you find the distance you would travel back up, and your fall distance from there.

Except for air resistance, the speed you would come out of the "exit point" traveling up is the same speed you'd be traveling down after you made that U and passed the same point on your way down.

Right, and somehow I doubt a normal human body traveling at even terminal velocity could be shot 100 feet straight upwards. If I cared enough I'd ask a friend of mine to traject the parabola of a human body of varying weights (he has some program that can do it) at varying angles, but honestly, I think it's all up to the DM to let people orient their teleport to a different plane.

Edit: Plane as in surface, not dimension or large object that flies through the air. Shut up.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I keep thinking if you open a "exit point" directly adjacent to the "entry point", the front part's of each being 180 degrees vertical of each other. So you travel through what equates to a U. From there you find the distance you would travel back up, and your fall distance from there.

Except for air resistance, the speed you would come out of the "exit point" traveling up is the same speed you'd be traveling down after you made that U and passed the same point on your way down.

Yeah, but if you fall 100ft, and are moving at x speed, which suddenly becomes -x speed when you teleport, -x is not enough to get you back to your origin.

Effectively you go down, then come back up part way, then fall back down.

|
    |
    | /\
    | |
    | |
    | |
    \/

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Well there you go. You could have said something a while ago you know :P

Eh. I'm not that attached to the credit. I did say it a few times, though, for posterity's sake.

You were just too busy [strike]killing your players[/strike] [strike]making new monsters[/strike] [strike]being from new zealand[/strike] silly goosing to do anything about it.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

|
    |
    | /\
    | |
    | |
    | |
    V

Fixed that for ya.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maticore wrote: »
    Well there you go. You could have said something a while ago you know :P

Eh. I'm not that attached to the credit. I did say it a few times, though, for posterity's sake.

You were just too busy [strike]killing your players[/strike] [strike]making new monsters[/strike] [strike]being from new zealand[/strike] silly goosing to do anything about it.

LIES, LIES!! ALLLL LIES!!!!

(Except the killing players thing, that sounds about right).

Edit: And it's already been updated now. There is nothing you can do about it. NOTHING.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Physics and D&D should stay well apart from each other

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Aww! But I want my character to carry around a bag of loose flour so I can throw a handful at an enemy's torch and cause a fireball!

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's Chemistry, and Chemistry is fine. Physics should go home.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if we'll ever see rogue modron as a playable race again.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Our Druid has a pet Modron. It is roughly six inches tall, and everyone we talk to tells us that it's clearly evil and clearly should be destroyed.

But it's just so. Damn. Cute.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4E doesn't even obey maths, let alone physics. There should be a ritual 'realign grid' that gives you a 1.414 boost on speed by aligning everything so that you'll be moving diagonally in the direction you want to travel.

Damn you non-euclidean geometry.

soxbox on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I picked up my copy of PHB3 today. I already saw/knew about all the classes and races from previews, but it'll be nice to have them in hard copy so early.

Although I really like the intended designs of the Psionic classes, and am optimistic about them being revised with proper augmented strengths and PP cost-scaling, it's interesting to note how much less excited I am about this handbook than PHB2. Maybe it's because I've known so much about the classes and the lackluster races (I like Githzerai and additions to Minotaurs, though) for so long.

The Runepriest also hasn't really clicked with me yet. I know it's supposed to be a solid class and choosing a rune for each prayer sounds neat, but overall it seems like a lot of stylistic overlap with battle Clerics or Paladins without thematic uniqueness (like sorcerers vs warlocks or bards vs artificers).

Anyone else find it ironic that the power source of priests and other 'men of the cloth' only has one class out of five with less than chainmail armor proficiency? Hell, Divine is more armored than martial in several manners. Oh well.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Chemistry is just a derivative of physics. All science falls in line behind physics! Well, except for math. Math is the queen bitch of all science: thou shalt not have any other science before math!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Chemistry is just a derivative of physics. All science falls in line behind physics! Well, except for math. Math is the queen bitch of all science: thou shalt not have any other science before math!
    purity.png
    Obligatory.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Aww! But I want my character to carry around a bag of loose flour so I can throw a handful at an enemy's torch and cause a fireball!

Non-dairy creamer is roughly the explosiveness of flour^holyshit. Seriously, check it out.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wait, what?

Teleportation is not portal

you don't open an entry and exit portal, you fold space.

Don't you people know anything :(

I'm just so disappointed.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, but no one said you had to fold space so that you are moving in the same direction when you come out.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Considering the distance you would have to travel to have time to use a Move action, I think you're generally going to be rolling max fall damage regardless.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

I wouldn't put money on it, though I don't know if the higher up that hated them in 3e is still around.

Expect them to be HARDCORE when / if they come back to the playing field though, because you know we can't have wacky-tacky character races if they don't have some edgy attribute added to them.

They already wrecked tieflings and bladelings; don't know what they've done to the githzerai yet. I don't want to know what they could do to the poor modrons and bauriars.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind Modrons getting the Metallic Dragon treatment.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ravensmuse wrote: »

I wouldn't put money on it, though I don't know if the higher up that hated them in 3e is still around.

Expect them to be HARDCORE when / if they come back to the playing field though, because you know we can't have wacky-tacky character races if they don't have some edgy attribute added to them.

They already wrecked tieflings and bladelings; don't know what they've done to the githzerai yet. I don't want to know what they could do to the poor modrons and bauriars.

I still don't really get why they changed the tiefling fluff. Just for the sake of changing it? I don't know. They seemed more interesting before.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Considering the distance you would have to travel to have time to use a Move action, I think you're generally going to be rolling max fall damage regardless.

Here's the thing: some stewardess in 1972 survived a fall from an airplane at 10,000 something feet. Now, my Dragonborn Warlord is way tougher than some pan-Asian airline waif, so I posit if she can survive 1000 die of falling damage, any D&D character can.

Fuck logic!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Fuck logic!
    I can't tell if this is in reference to the thing you quoted, the thing you said, or if it's just a generalized statement of intent.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They already wrecked tieflings and bladelings
    Bladelings? Really?

Bladelings were always covered in spikes. It doesn't get much more badass than that.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Fuck logic!
    I can't tell if this is in reference to the thing you quoted, the thing you said, or if it's just a generalized statement of intent.

The last two, mostly.

Also, if the average human body reaches terminal velocity at 1200 feet (I came across two numbers, 1200 and 1880, no idea which is right) couldn't we just say that's the max falling damage a character could take? Like, 120d10 or whatever. I dunno, seems like falling 8000 feet would cause the same damage as 2000, since you wouldn't be going any faster.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I still don't really get why they changed the tiefling fluff. Just for the sake of changing it? I don't know. They seemed more interesting before.

I actually don't mind Tieflings as they are to be honest compared to even planescape. Especially because they actually look more generally devil like than many people who played them in previous editions (as essentially funny looking humans and elves, eg maybe some red eyes or something). Githzerai are the same pretty much with some good (perhaps one arguably semi-broken) racial feats.

It is of course impossible to "ruin" Rogue Modrons because they were already beyond completely stupid in Planescape - especially with the ridiculous "innate action" requirement, natural armour and other rubbish all stacked into them. Bladelings always sucked and I never understood the need to make them a race at all (I like to pretend they don't exist).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Here's the thing: some stewardess in 1972 survived a fall from an airplane at 10,000 something feet. Now, my Dragonborn Warlord is way tougher than some pan-Asian airline waif, so I posit if she can survive 1000 die of falling damage, any D&D character can.

Fuck logic!

Of course they can.

The DM just needs to roll all 1s.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bladelings always sucked and I never understood the need to make them a race at all (I like to pretend they don't exist).

Do you remember that really nice picture of a bladeling from Planescape that does not seem to exist on the internet?

The one where he has little tiny spines flying off his fingertips?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To finally put an end to the teleporting at the end of a fall thing...I ask everyone watch the new Star Trek movie, where Sylar plays Spock. Chekov *totally* teleports Kirk and Sulu from a 3 mile freefall onto the teleportation pad and they were fine.

So, proof.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't recall those being called Teleporters. Those are Transporters. They Transport. Not Teleport. You silly goose.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    streever wrote: »
    wait, what?

the entry and exit are just nice to use as a point of reference because they are easy to use to describe forces relative to the orientation of the teleported.

also, im glad you know the exact mechanism for teleportation in d&d. i think of it more as changing your coordinates relative to the spatial matrix of whatever given plane you are in.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't recall those being called Teleporters. Those are Transporters. They Transport. Not Teleport. You silly goose.

So if we had Heisenberg Compensators in D&D, we'd call it Transporting instead of Teleporting?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So if we had Heisenberg Compensators in D&D, we'd cal it Transporting instead of Teleporting?

We won't know until Gamma World is out.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    streever wrote: »
    wait, what?

the entry and exit are just nice to use as a point of reference because they are easy to use to describe forces relative to the orientation of the teleported.

also, im glad you know the exact mechanism for teleportation in d&d. i think of it more as changing your coordinates relative to the spatial matrix of whatever given plane you are in.

I assumed, at least on the feylock end, you were leaving this realm for the fey, then with your knowledge of both realms, able to reenter at an intended point.

Brody on

• Options
    edited March 2010

So if we had Heisenberg Compensators in D&D, we'd cal it Transporting instead of Teleporting?

We won't know until Gamma World is out.

I explained the general premise of this game to my friend and we held hands and squealed with joy like two teenage girls getting their first manicures.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I actually don't mind Tieflings as they are to be honest compared to even planescape. Especially because they actually look more generally devil like than many people who played them in previous editions (as essentially funny looking humans and elves, eg maybe some red eyes or something). Githzerai are the same pretty much with some good (perhaps one arguably semi-broken) racial feats.

It is of course impossible to "ruin" Rogue Modrons because they were already beyond completely stupid in Planescape - especially with the ridiculous "innate action" requirement, natural armour and other rubbish all stacked into them. Bladelings always sucked and I never understood the need to make them a race at all (I like to pretend they don't exist).

You and I can no longer be friends. I'm sorry Aegeri. I would like your friendship ring back.

Bladelings were never even supposed to be a playable race. They live in the most hostile, most dangerous layer of Acheri in the whole of the plane, and are completely xenophobic because they live in a world where flying needle sized pins could kill you in a moment. Anything that can survive outside of their shelled cities is obviously, not something to be trusted.

Why one would go wandering through the planes is beyond me, but.

Tieflings weren't just "demonic". They were descended from basically anything in the lower planes. This meant that a good number of them could manifest demonic traits, but they could just as likely manifest traits that look like nupperibos, or night hags, or shadow fiends, or basically anything. If someone played a tiefiling in a 2e Planescape game with me as the GM, I would offer them the random traits table located in the Planeswalker's Handbook and tell them to go to town.

Modrons have been screwed since 3e, because everyone always sees them as those "goofy little pseudomechanical guys that act kind of like Data." Whereas, they are the ultimate expression of total law; they're not vengeful like the Inevitables and they're not mindlessly destructive like those ant folks 3e WotC rammed into the plane to "get rid of the weird cube guys".

They also reflect the stranger tack that Planescape took with Dungeons and Dragons; if you don't like them, then it is quite obvious that you do not have a soul.

tl;dr: Aegeri has no soul.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bladelings were never even supposed to be a playable race. They live in the most hostile, most dangerous layer of Acheri in the whole of the plane, and are completely xenophobic because they live in a world where flying needle sized pins could kill you in a moment. Anything that can survive outside of their shelled cities is obviously, not something to be trusted.

I agree, but this kind of logic was used for numerous dumb races and such in 2E as well. It's hardly new thinking.

This doesn't change the fact bladeling is a horrible race and nobody is ever going to play it anyway.

Your argument here can equally apply to 2E Rogue Modrons just as easily, just so you know this.
    Tieflings weren't just "demonic". They were descended from basically anything in the lower planes. This meant that a good number of them could manifest demonic traits, but they could just as likely manifest traits that look like nupperibos, or night hags, or shadow fiends, or basically anything.

Yeah this is lovely idealism but it never worked like this. You can thank Planescape Torment (Annah) and the art of them - which never ever made them look anywhere near as horrific as they could be. At least Tieflings in 4E are unmistakably daemonic/infernal in origin. This is a vast improvement to red eyed supermodels who might have a tail (at worst).
    Modrons have been screwed since 3e, because everyone always sees them as those "goofy little pseudomechanical guys that act kind of like Data."

This was how they were in 2E, you cannot blame 3E for something that 2E did. The core part of this was their inherent action, where if X happened the Modron would always do Y - the nature of its previous strict adherence to law. That is basically how people then played them. In 2E, which is why I hate and despise them inherently because they were always played in the most twinky and obnoxious way possible. Imagine a rogue modron who, on every time hearing the word "is" attempts to steal something from the nearest creature (And yes, this is what the 2E rules supported) and you begin to understand the depth of my absolute and unyielding hatred for them. It's like a kender (from dragonlance), that's also a box that does something stupid "by the rules" every time a certain thing happens.

And yes, they were a horrible worthless PC race for precisely that reason in 2E. Bauriars were far better and in fact, just about everything else was (I'll exclude Tieflings but they were destroyed by players who never actually made them look anywhere near daemonic - other than the odd token gesture of course. Minding that wasn't the players fault when you had the art for them that basically reinforced such notions).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why is it preferable that tieflings should all look like the demons from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is what the 4e versions remind me of)?
    Tieflings in 2e/3e were supposed to look mostly human except for one or two features, like small horns or a tail. Where are you getting the idea that players were supposed to make characters look more fiendish than that?

Annah from Torment was by no means a degeneration of the ideal tiefling. She pretty much embodies what tieflings always were. Just read the description of the race and look at the artwork.

This preference for super-demonic tieflings is something you pulled from the air, Aegeri.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since you guys are talking about modrons, I'll use this as a flimsy excuse to post my ideas on how to incorporate Mechanus into 4E (as well as the vaati, modrons, inevitables, clockwork horrors, formians, and even the abeil):

- A group of djinn decided to ally with the gods. They had been denied the powerful creative magic that their race once possessed, but in allying with the gods they hoped to share in the process of creating laws for the multiverse. These djinn became the vaati.
    - The vaati founded the kingdom of Aaqa in the middle world, the Ninth Bastion as a fortress for the forces of the gods in the Elemental Chaos, and constructed Mechanus in the Astral Sea.
    - The vaati vanished mysteriously soon after completing Mechanus.
    - Mechanus's cogs somehow channel the conceptual energies of the Astral Sea into a being known as Primus.
    - Primus formulates the laws that govern the multiverse. The inevitables are the enforces of those laws.
    - The modrons were created to maintain Mechanus. During the Dawn War they periodically patrolled the Astral Sea in search of the chaotic forces of the primordials.
    - Some inevitables and modrons traveled to the Elemental Chaos in hopes of taming it. Many of these constructs were fundamentally warped by exposure to the pure chaos.
    - The clockwork horrors were created by an inevitable who began malfunctioning after a journey to the Elemental Chaos. They were intended to use-up all of the plane's matter by converting every last bit of it into new clockwork horrors. The servants of the gods and primordials realized the apocalyptic fate the clockwork horrors could bring to the world and cooperated to destroy them. A few of these constructs might still exist in stasis. Expeditions into the Elemental Chaos by the inevitables and modrons were suspended after this incident.
    - Primus decided to put itself in stasis at the end of the Dawn War, reasoning that its influence might destabilize the natural order that the contract between the gods and elder spirits brought about.
    - Primus's last act before entering into stasis was to create the maruts. The marut were intended to be the spiritual successors to the vaati. Each group of maruts was entrusted with one of Mechanus' cogs; they used these cogs as the foundations for their astral fortresses.
    - Several rogue modrons and inevitables exist. A few of them deny the validity of the contract between the gods and primordials. They insist on interfering with the world.
    - The formians are an ant-like race that immigrated to Mechanus at some point after Primus entered stasis. They are now only found on Mechanus. The formians want to conquer Mechanus and use it as a base from which to invade the rest of the Astral Sea. Despite opposition by the modrons and inevitables, the formian queen has succeeded in constructing a palace on Mechanus's central cog, the very same cog where Primus's energy pool lies.
    - The abeil are bee-like people are refugees from the Feywild. Though the abeil have no love for Mechanus' constructs, they also realize that the modrons and inevitables are their primary defense against the conquering hordes of the formians. Abeil soldiers aggressively defend the hives situated on the outer cogs of Mechanus.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Modrons are Transformers?

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.