Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[IC] Eclipse Phase: Mission 1 - New Recruits

2

Posts

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Irgvin's other eyebrow raises and he surreptitiously nods in the direction of the two men. Feigning complete disinterest, he shadows them in an attempt to get close enough to eavesdrop. Strange as it might seem, he often found that while organisations would happily invest millions in cyberspace countermeasures, they fell flat when flapping their meat outside of the mesh- if they were lucky, this'd be a lead.
    Spoiler:

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irgvin stands up, looking innocuous and paying no attention to his companions or to the two men walking down the road. He becomes somehow more difficult to notice, and you think to yourself with a start, this man is very good at what he does. To hide in plain sight.

    He stays a safe distance as they pass, but the two men stop shortly after, perhaps ten or fifteen feet, still speaking to each other excitedly and quickly.

    "Have you heard the next thing though? It only gets better."
    "Everything Creation does only gets better. Spill it."

  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "There you are, fucker. I've been across half the domes looking for you and the group! You should really leave messages when you're wandering off."
    An accented voice, one would guess Russian if they were familiar with the language, called out from behind Irgvin, giving him just a moment's notice before he was spun by a hand on his shoulder.
    The technician found himself face to face with a surprisingly ordinary looking woman wearing shoulder-length blonde hair, grey eyes, and just enough anarchist tattoos to be fashionable in her casually grey smartclothes. The only thing that would set her apart from thousands of other transhumans was the burning fire in her eyes, a hint of unrelenting aggression mixed with madness, and the somewhat worrying strength of her grip.

    [KRASH] Here's my rep card, if you don't trust me. I had some important shit to be taking care of, so there'd better be a reason for me getting pulled onto your crew. Give me the breakdown, unless all Firewall needed was a babysitter.
    Spoiler:

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Even taken by surprise from this unreasonably bold woman, you remember quickly your mark. Spinning yourself half around as swiftly as you can manage, you see a bit of a scene has been made. You're getting a few funny looks from the passerby, but not many are staring. Most moving past, as if not to intervene.

    With a deep sigh of resignation, you realize the two men are gone, nowhere to be seen.

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    «Shit,» Irgvin swears in the coarse, heavily accented Russian favoured by the spacers at the navigational arrays, «You blow a perfectly simplistic attempt at stealth and you think you're going to be our babysitter...?»

    He pauses, realising that his tone probably isn't particularly friendly. And as a general survival trait, getting your shoulder crushed by some special ops wannabe wasn't likely to increase anyone's mission effectiveness.

    [Irgvin]: Alright. We're currently trying to trace the whereabouts and resources of a singularity-seeker calling himself Creation.
    [Irgvin]: Let me guess- you're to be our resident... now, I want to say "muscle" but that implies a lack of finesse.
    [Irgvin]: Either that or you've been assigned to our crew just to make a scene.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With a heavy sigh, Theodore buries his face in his palm before walking over to the newcomer.

    [Theodore] Real subtle there, miss. I hope you know what you're doing. Firewall too.

  • ZellpherZellpher Hermit Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ANDI accompanies Theodore, but says nothing to the new team member.

    screen2_zpsa06ff745.png~original
  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [KRASH] Right, so we just fuck around until we hit gold? Let's hit the streets. If anyone knows something but doesn't want to talk, leave them to me.

    Krash cracked her knuckles and nodded in the direction the two men discussing Creation had vanished.

    [KRASH] Anyone got the Mesh ID of the 2 you said you were following? Shouldn't be hard to track their movements if we do. We're all on the grid here.

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Henrique] A babysitter? Oh, this just keeps getting better and better. Remind me again why I agreed to take this job, darlings?
    [Henrique] Oh yes, it was that or prison. Fine, I'll try not to make you have to rescue me too often.

    With that, Henrique shambles over to the rest of the team.

    [Henrique]
    So, are we all going to stand in the middle of the thoroughfare looking incredibly suspicious all day?

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    [Irgvin] Yes, I think we've attracted attention to ourselves for long enough. Did anyone think to note their mesh IDs?
    [Irgvin] ...my muse has just snarkily informed me that he did. I suppose we can follow them.
    [Irgvin is attempting to share the data with the others.]

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Gideon] Unlike some people in this group, I'm not so easily distracted.
    [Gideon has transferred data.]

    And with that, you have all that you need to track the two. Or, at least, so you suspect. Your muses go to work immediately, as you begin walking away from the scene to attract a bit less attention. Within a couple of minutes, you are able to successfully track their Mesh IDs to a recreational district in the closest of the three primary domes.

    [Wallace] I think I've been able to track their location!
    [Wallace] It seems to be a club, called DeVora's.
    Spoiler:

  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Raye] I've marked the location of the club on your map, Ted.

    He looks around at his companions.

    [Theodore] Well, folks, I can't think of any reason not to head over there. Shall we?

    And with that, Theodore strolls off toward the club.

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    [Irgvin] Not exactly my scene, but... ever onward.

    Irgvin falls into line.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Taking an only slightly roundabout route to DeVora's, you find yourself closing in on its entryway. On the outside it is unspectacular, save for the wild AR art superimposed over it by your mesh inserts. It sits in the middle of the block, with one alleyway going around the back, and the other wall connecting to the buildings. on its side. A bouncer in a cheap case morph sits comfortably on a chair too small for him, watching the comers and goers with relative apathy.

    You gather on the busy road outside, transhumans walking about everywhere, the din loud even in the afternoon time.

    [Wallace] I can confirm to the group that this is where the two men we are following have gone.
    [Gideon] Satisfaction. One is inside the club. The other is outside in back, around the alley.
    [Gideon] I've already accessed the area map.
    [Gideon has initiated a tactical uplink.]
    [Wallace has connected to the tactical uplink.]
    [Raye has connected to the tactical uplink.]
    [Caliban has connected to the tactical uplink.]
    [Ivan has connected to the tactical uplink.]

    [Raye] Interesting. This may be useful, but I hope we can get by without it.
    [Caliban] The days where I get to make a tactical uplink are my favorite days.
    [Gideon] ...What have you gotten us into, Irgvin?

  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [KRASH] Right, let's get this done. Henrique, let's go to the alley and try and get the man back there to talk. ANDI, Irgvin, if the other one leaves, track him. He might head to Creation. Theodore, you're on backup if either group needs it.

    Krash began walking through the crowd towards the alleyway, moving with dedicated purpose and speed.
    "Ivan, keep an eye out for any police alerts or local alarms. I want to be gone before any security shows up."

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    [Irgvin] We're on it.

    Irgvin finds himself a spot where he can monitor the main entrance. He doesn't bother answering Gideon- that damnable muse was getting increasingly uppity of late.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Henrique] At last, a chance to shine!
    [Henrique] ... you first.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The odd duo make their way through the alleyway, which stretches for a good thirty to fifty feet before turning the corner at a T intersection. Before you stretches a relatively clean alleyway, especially for one behind a dance club, walled in by three buildings at least eight stories apiece. One, the club, taking up at least the bottom floor, and, near as you can tell, some other sorts of recreational buildings of a different sort. Though the AR tags reveal nothing from this side of the building, your map of Aarhus identifies several locations in each of the three structures.

    Most notable are the three men standing outside the back door of DeVora's. The back door is slightly ajar, alone in its status among the three total doors granting access to the alleyway from the ground level. Three more doors apiece can be found on the second and third floors, opening up to space, though those doors do not look like they are able to be opened from the outside.

    You begin your trek down the next part of the alley to meet the three men, recognizing instantly that one of them is your mark. You recognize his face and mesh ID even from this distance, and you close it quickly.

    "Keep your eyes out, blondie. They may be watching us," Henrique said to Krash as they closed in. His eyes narrowed and he looked around, alert.
    Leading the way, Krash responded, brushing some hair out of her eyes. "Oh, don't worry. I will."

    The three men stare at you two, their eyes narrowing.

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Henrique] You want to do the talking? I don't.

    With that, Henrique leans against the wall of the building and folds his arms.

  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Nice acoustics back here. Better than inside?"
    Krash grinned as she walked towards the trio, the music from DeVora's spilling out into the alleyway, loud enough to cover the sounds of any brawl that might be started back here.
    [KRASH] We're being watched from DeVoras, and they might have someone behind us. Move carefully, Henrique.

    She smiled, almost dangerously, as she held out her hand towards the man she was tracking, her muscles tensed and ready for action. "I'm looking for Creation, and I sure hope you can help me find him, since his address isn't posted on the fucking mesh!"

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Your TacNets automatically update with the three men, and also with the two who seem to be moving cautiously, but purposefully, to block the exit to the alleyway. From the looks of it, the group of three, one bio and two synths, most likely cases, and two bios coming in from the back. They don't look like exalts, so they're probably splicers.

    Your target looks back at you coldly, and he speaks with arrogance. "And what would you say if I told you to screw off?"

    The two synths he was speaking with step to his side, obviously trying to be imposing. In truth? Not a horrible job. They look like they'd be ready to start the fight, maybe even if you weren't.

    In defiance of common sense, he continued to speak to her in his condescending tone, even as she slowed not a bit in her relentless approach, and with her large and obviously combat-ready hominid friend behind her.
    "Let me tell you something, miss. I don't know who you are, or what you're doing here, but I think it would be good for you if you left."

    He pauses just for dramatic effect. "Now."

  • ZellpherZellpher Hermit Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [ANDI] Oh dear I do hope you will be alright. I will provide minor assistance in the form of a distraction should this end violently.

    ANDI then moves to the entrance of the alleyway, keeping the club's doors in sight. Changing himself into an innocuous-looking cube he begins to prod the infosec security of the two men blocking the alley.
    Spoiler:

    screen2_zpsa06ff745.png~original
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    [Irgvin] This is where we find out just how talented our latest assignee really is.

    Irgvin heads to the alley, but positions himself opposite ANDI's cube form. His not-so-chivalrious intention is to start burning people up with his beam weapon if things go bad.

    The alternative? Ringside seat to a smackdown- Henrique and Krash look like they can handle themselves, and anyone else for that matter.
    Spoiler:

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Trying to keep watch over their surroundings, the two partners spot the two of you. They look at each other briefly, one nodding to the other. Without warning, they begin walking quickly and with purpose toward you, one clenching his fists and cracking his knuckles, one looking about nervously, with one hand in a large coat pocket.

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Irgvin beams as they approach (with his teeth, not his laser pulser), as if the two men are just what he's been looking for. He's used to thinking on his feet.

    "Ah, good, I thought I'd find you here! Are you gentleman free to collect your package now-" he pats the ANDI-box to demonstrate- "or would you rather I left it at a lodging of your choice?"

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Everyone likes to play tough when they've got dirty secrets. You fuckers are in the wrong business."
    Six inch long claws slid out of Krash's hands as she changed her advance into a charge, the music fading away in her mind as she focused on the upcoming fight.
    [KRASH] Henrique, make sure that Irgvin doesn't get himself killed. That lab-rat might have a problem against these gorillas.
    [KRASH] has left the session.
    [Ivan] Oh dear.
    Spoiler:

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Henrique] Have fun, darling.

    Henrique barks with amused approval as Krash extrudes her claws. Leaving her to her playtime, he triggers his own cyberclaws and lopes back to where Irgvin is babbling away.

    [Henrique] That's good, keep them looking that way darling.

  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Krash struck out towards the organic, her claws crackling with bio-electricity as she grinned wolfishly, coming in low, fast, and unexpected. "Shoulda answered the question, dumbass."
    Spoiler:

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited March 2010
    [Irgvin] Hah, I like the way you think.

    Carefully refraining from looking at Henrique and betraying his position, Irgvin continues to smile and continue his pitch.

    "Needless to say that regardless of which option you choose, RapiCore Deliveries will make no additional charge and your guarantee will be unaffected. We do not, however, accept responsibility for any damage to person or property, such as erectile dysfunction resulting from a 350-lb primate badass snapping your spine. This does not affect your statutory rights."
    Spoiler:

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He tried to move out of the way, but he just wasn't expecting that sort of speed.
    [Ivan] The man you are accosting, I've researched his information.
    [Ivan] Only the basics, but his name is Edmund.
    [Ivan] I'm... not sure if you would want to know that, but it could be relevant.

    A lesser person would have perhaps gained some sense of compassion for the poor man she was clawing. But not Krash. "You want to maybe try the answer again?" she said, the claws extending into his torso, blood seeping from them. "I've got a moment."

    His eyes bugged out, his form falling off of the claws and and shaking uncontrollably for a few seconds before he collapsed on the ground, clearly unconscious. His wounds were grievous.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Edmund!"

    The synth shouts, vengeance clear in his voice. He pulls a knife from a belt, lunging at Krash with all the force his can muster. "You're gonna pay for that!"

    The knife comes in quick to the side of Krash's abdomen, but she reacts quickly, positioning her claws to parry the attack deftly. She looked at the synth, her eyes filled with fiery rage, and her opponent knew he was in for more than he bargained for.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Raye] Ted! Another target has been identified by the TacNet!
    [Raye] It looks like the other man we were chasing, he's coming out of the front door of DeVora's right now.
    [Wallace] His mesh id reads a name of Undron Hill. What an eccentricity!
    [Gideon] He's probably trying to run. Perhaps someone should follow him... unless we want him to get away.

  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Theodore's eyes light up, jolted from his brief daydream. He notices the brawl in the alleyway.

    "Kids these days," he sighs.

    [Theodore] Don't worry guys, your "backup" is still here, you keep doing your thing.

  • ZellpherZellpher Hermit Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [ANDI] What are you doing? I am not a package. Please put me out of sight at once.

    With that ANDI desperately attempts to distract the nervous looking man.
    Spoiler:

    screen2_zpsa06ff745.png~original
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The second synth reacts a bit more slowly than his partner, a flaw that would soon spell his defeat. "You really have no clue what you just got yourself into, lady!"

    With a sharp right cross, the synth lands a blow directly into Krash's chest, disorienting her temporarily, or at least so he thought. Following up with a particularly brutal cut to the neck, he was shocked to find his arm waylaid mid-swing by Krash's forearm. "What the...?!"

    She smoothly put her other arm around the synth's, spinning herself in two steps into a lock, and with a flick of a wrist, the knife was in her hands. She blew a lock of hair from her eye, tossed the blade away, and continued the expert reversal with the synth's arm in one hand and its neck in a headlock.
    Spoiler:

  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [Raye] Look alive, Ted. Our friend is exiting the club... NOW.

    The entrance to the club flies open, spilling music and Undron Hill into the street. He stumbles into the lazing bouncer and draws little attention from passersby beyond the derisive snorts of "drunk".

    [Theodore] I see our mark... well, the other one at least. I'll stick on him.

    Theodore takes a few steps toward the mark.

    After an uneasy glance to his surroundings while he regains his balance, Undron breaks into a run along the street, paying little attention to the people in his way.

    [Raye] He's moving with quite a purpose. Someone must have tipped him off.

    Theodore swears. He decides to break off from the rest of the group, attempting to tail Undron without being noticed.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oblivious to almost the entire rest of the goings-on around DeVora's, the two thugs eye Irgvin skeptically. "We didn't order nothing," the more confident of the two replies. "You take your stuff and get out of here."

    But before either of the two could properly react, a sudden burst of super bright colors and lights causes the nervous-looking thug with his hand in his pocket to reach toward his eyes, shouting loudly, and attracting a bit too much attention for your tastes. The other one looks with shock. "What the hell?! Hey what are you tryin' to pull?"

    In moments, a knife is in his hand, as he stares down Irgvin, sure that he's found his target.

  • RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Krash grinned as she continued her move, sweeping a leg and sending the synth crashing to the ground as she pulled out a small metal rod from her pocket, faster than the eye could follow. Before the synth had made full contact, the disabler was jammed into its access jack and it shut down, clattering against the alleyway while Krash stepped over it, moving in to grab the other synth.
    A quick yank on his arm and she was in close, the synth off-balance in her grip. "Say goodnight."
    Spoiler:

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Struggling against Krash, he attempts to break the lock he finds himself in, but finds his attempts to be futile at best. He grunts loudly, his head tilting back to try and prevent the disabler he knew was coming.

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henrique paused for just a second to admire the two backs in front of him. So difficult to choose ...

    Seeing one of them pull a knife, of course, makes the choice a lot easier.
    Spoiler:

2
Sign In or Register to comment.