Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Creating digital music

kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm writing a game and I need software that can be used to compose and synthesize the accompanying music; what are my options?

I tried Sibelius, but the notes sound painfully tinny and fake. How can I digitally create better sounding music?

kedinik on

• mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Patrick RipollPatrick Ripoll Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Fruity Loops is the most User-Friendly music creator I've ever encountered. It's very intuitive and yet there's a LOT of room to do strange things, so you never feel limited. I've created 3 electronica albums with Fruity Loops and countless other electronic songs, everywhere from atmospheric drone noise to mash-ups to really tacky hip-hop beats. It's flexible, fast, fun, and biodegradable.

Give it a look see!

• DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can you still download those creative commons- licensed sample packs? They sound like a nice idea for increasing the range of stuff that can be added into a track.

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This looks good.

What level of FL should I buy, Express? The upgraded features seem too complicated for my purposes.

• SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can also try Linux Multimedia Studio (LMMS). It's actually not linux-only, it just started that way.

It's basically a FL ripoff.

Edit: And if you're spending cash money and the above solutions don't work for you, you can try Reason. It's honestly the best program of this sort I've ever used. Definitely not free, though. I also haven't used a shit ton of these programs.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Patrick RipollPatrick Ripoll Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah, the plug-in browser is arranged in directories, so adding samples to the interface is as easy as creating a folder and saving them.

Most of the preset samples are a little tinny and fake sounding (it's especially difficult to get a tom sound that isn't too round and resonant), but with a little tweaking and effects, you can pretty much get anything to sound how you want it. Check out my song "The Big Furry Monster" (you'll have to scroll the playlist down a bit to find it), which is made entirely of present samples that I altered, to see a good example of how much you can twist the sound of things.

What I especially appreciate is how intuitive it is to sequence the automation and drop samples. The only real problem I've had with it is that the bpm detector (which is important when you're trying to remix a rap song using acapella vocal tracks) never seems to work properly, but I may just be using it wrong.

EDIT:
    kedinik wrote: »
    This looks good.

What level of FL should I buy, Express? The upgraded features seem too complicated for my purposes.

You're gonna need the piano roll (which allows you to sequence notes as opposed to performing them) to do anything substantial (unless you're a great keyboard player), so Fruity Edition is probably your best bet.