As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MICHAEL BAY ON]Bad Company 2: Carl Gustav is king!

• RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Black Ice wrote: »
    ...so unless you shot someone in the head sniper rifles were 2 hit kills.

Still the same.

Unless you play hardcore mode then it's 1 shot.

Ranced on
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm thinking about getting this game for the PS3. What's it like compared to Battlefield 2 on the computer? Also, are there customizable weapons and an easy-to-join squad system? Do you get blown up by vehicles incessently like in BF2?

I played a lot of infantry only on the PC and it was pretty solid. I'm not one to bitch about camping in MW2 because of games like BF2 on the PC. Taking a tank, helicopter, or airplane was the epitomie of camping.

I really want to know if it's like BF2 and if it has customizablew eapons. I watched a few gameplay demos and it looks like BF2 with destructible enviornments... and iron sights on all weapons but the sniper rifles. Speaking of which, are sniper rifles one hit kills now? In BF2 they only did 95/100 damage, so unless you shot someone in the head sniper rifles were 2 hit kills.

You'll die alot to vehicles, but they don't dominate the maps like they used to in BF2. The weapon customization is available, but its per-class instead of per weapon. In other words, as you level up each class, you unlock new scopes for that classes weapons (including red-dot, 4x, and a 12x scope for the sniper). Also, sniper rifles are still not a 1-hit kill except with a headshot with one exception: Bolt-Action rifles combined with the Magnum Ammo perk can 1-hit kill to the Body.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Once you rank up the individual classes 40s/CGs/etc. start to become a crutch. I know most of the starting weapons are horrible and it is very easy to fall back on tubes and whatnot to get experience, but the higher level weapons are devastating. I never run around with the tube out because I know in most situations I'll be able to drop opponents with the M416 and I prefer saving the tube for groups of medics or dudes behind walls. Thats why I think a lot of the more vocal people started off complaining on the forums but have recently become quieter; the higher rank stuff is pretty balanced and everything works pretty well. Everything becomes lethal enough at the higher levels that its hard to pick out the overpowered weapons.

This obviously sucks for newer players, but if I get tubed by a dude and then see that hes rockin' an AEK, F2000, or any of the earlier POSes, I don't feel bad. Same with getting Gustav-ed and then seein' the dude with a 9A91.

Tubed by a dude with a AN-94/M416/etc., though? Yeah, that dudes a silly goose and I hate him so muuucchh.
    I have 7 gold stars with the M416, 3 with the tube, 3 with my revolver. So I'm not that guy.
    All the time.

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have no gold stars because I like playing with all my toys

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hardly ever have the GL out constantly, nor do I whore the "clutch" weapons. I love the variety and cycle through a bunch constantly.

As long as I am enjoying myself, I am happy. I don't care about a rapid class grind, because I know the second I am done all the unlocks, I will start to lose interest. It's fun to fight for something but I'm in no rush to get there.

Edit: Provided the server is actually up... just a warning folks, I get home from work in 2 hours - EA should be going down around then. ;)

Lt. Fragg on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ranced wrote: »

Still the same.

Even with magnums?

DietarySupplement on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One shot, non headshot, kills with the sniper rifles outside of hardcore depends on how close your target is... and the rifle.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bolt action rifles will kill in one shot to the chest at close range to non-body armor'd players

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was playing this morning before work, and had another one of those "this can only happen in Battlefield" moments. I was running recon with a SAIGA, covering the second B point on Port Valdez. My back was against the wall, the only left; the rest had been blown away by some tanks and RPG's earlier. My motion sensor blipped and I waited for the guy to come sprinting around one corner or the other. Instead, he stopped, standing the wall behind me.

Then I heard him throw something and heard a distinctive, horrifying set of beeps. I got about 8 feet from the wall before the C4 exploded, throwing me out of the building and into the snow. Clever girl.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Oh for the sake of fuck. Fix your fucking shit, EA!
    Oh well, had an awesome shootout with my engy peashooter hiding behind a humvee with two snipers up on a hill taking potshots.

Echo on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    I was playing this morning before work, and had another one of those "this can only happen in Battlefield" moments. I was running recon with a SAIGA, covering the second B point on Port Valdez. My back was against the wall, the only left; the rest had been blown away by some tanks and RPG's earlier. My motion sensor blipped and I waited for the guy to come sprinting around one corner or the other. Instead, he stopped, standing the wall behind me.

Then I heard him throw something and heard a distinctive, horrifying set of beeps. I got about 8 feet from the wall before the C4 exploded, throwing me out of the building and into the snow. Clever girl.

That's... awesome.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cm83 wrote: »
    I'd be happy to use less OP guns if I could hit the broad-side of a barn with them. I can 40mm a guy that I can barely see on the first or second shot, but don't stand a chance with an SMG unless I get the drop on him at this point.

Take any shooter out there.
    Throw a noob in with a bunch of experienced players.
    Said noob will experiment with all the weapons until they find one that kills stuff most of the time.

That's why everyone uses CGs, 40mm grenades, and M60s. They work. I'm trying to learn not to rely on them so much and use guns that don't piss everyone off so much, but most people don't bother. It's not intentional griefing or trying to annoy anyone.

What is an OP gun?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited March 2010
    The M60 shoots more accurately and does more damage than any other machine gun

It's clearly the best

Which is unlike the other three classes, which have interchangeable weapons based on feel, range, and taste.

Nevermind that all the other medic weapons are still effective, but the M60 is clearly the best.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the F2000 in this game. It's accurate enough, it shoots fast and hard, and I can sniper people with it.

I also love the Port Valdez map, since I can get on that MG at the first base when defending, and pick off snipers all day, and they have to resort to actually being sneaky and having get behind me and stab/SMG me

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I'd be happy to use less OP guns if I could hit the broad-side of a barn with them. I can 40mm a guy that I can barely see on the first or second shot, but don't stand a chance with an SMG unless I get the drop on him at this point.

Said noob will experiment with all the weapons until they find one that kills stuff most of the time.

That's why everyone uses CGs, 40mm grenades, and M60s. They work. I'm trying to learn not to rely on them so much and use guns that don't piss everyone off so much, but most people don't bother. It's not intentional griefing or trying to annoy anyone.

What is an OP gun?

The M60, and maybe the AN-94.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I love the F2000 in this game. It's accurate enough, it shoots fast and hard, and I can sniper people with it.

I also love the Port Valdez map, since I can get on that MG at the first base when defending, and pick off snipers all day, and they have to resort to actually being sneaky and having get behind me and stab/SMG me

I do a really good job on the turret as well (the one over looking A) until someone on attack develops a brain and uses the T-90 to blow the wall down.

AHH, overpowered. Got it, thanks. Nah, I prefer the M249 no matter what the stats say.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm on the PA Battlefield meta tag, but I haven't been able to play because of work/school/gf/house crap. As soon as I get some free time I'll be on and be happy to play with you guys.

Duh. I didn't even notice the metatag in the OP.

Yall on
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know what the Skill Level stat is based off of? Also what is the max level you can reach in this game?

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
    edited March 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »

What is an OP gun?

OverPlayed?

Not sure myself o_O

Edit: Whups - overpowered, just read that above. *blush*

Lt. Fragg on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OP = overpowered, in the context he is using it in.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2010
    OverPowered

elliotw2 on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Still the same.

Even with magnums?

Magnum rounds are pretty much completely worthless on sniper rifles. The damage snipers do is explicitly set up to not change the number of shots needed with magnum equipped.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i just had such a great run as recon

I was 7-0 running around, taking shots when I could and marking the shit out of everything. I'd find an enemy coming in on one of my pals and mark them and act as guardian angel until they were out of danger again. I had 2 knife kills from sneaking up on stupid medics that wanted to lace everything and everyone.

My 8th and final kill happened when I came to one of our points that was being uncapped and peeked around a corner. Not 5 feet away was an assault soldier crouching by the flag. I couldn't make heads or tails of whose team he was on, was he defending or assaulting this dumb flag. I scoped on him as he turned to me and he too was dumbfounded. After a second of hesitation I shot him in the head and killed him.

it was really nerve wracking

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bolt action rifles will kill in one shot to the chest at close range to non-body armor'd players

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

It took me a few teeth-gnashing moments to realize that it was even in the game. Definitely a must for any silly-geese who like to do everything up close and personal.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

It took me a few teeth-gnashing moments to realize that it was even in the game. Definitely a must for any silly-geese who like to do everything up close and personal.

Body Armor is great for how I play the game. Lets me kill all four people in a squad instead of just 3 of them.

elliotw2 on
    edited March 2010

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

I wasn't exactly happy to see it to be honest.

Does anyone know if a player takes body armour for example, is his speed reduced any? Or what I am trying to say, with any soldier perk, is there any equaling disadvantage or is it all good no bad?

Lt. Fragg on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    According to some reports, the second set of VIP maps unlocks on March 30th. Not sure if that's been said yet. If so...continue!

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

Does anyone know if a player takes body armour for example, is his speed reduced any? Or what I am trying to say, with any soldier perk, is there any equaling disadvantage or is it all good no bad?
    You don't get offensive perks because you picked the worthless one.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm disappointed that there's only one map with a Hind in it at present.

Mechanical on
    edited March 2010
    This would be pretty epic to see during a game - 90's action movie style, flying through the air, guns a blazing.

Warning: Horrible music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKLewxIBgA

Lt. Fragg on
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    I'm on the PA Battlefield meta tag, but I haven't been able to play because of work/school/gf/house crap. As soon as I get some free time I'll be on and be happy to play with you guys.

Duh. I didn't even notice the metatag in the OP.

S'ok. I'll still shoot mans with you

shorttimin on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

Do you even realize how fucking hard it is to kill people with body armour on? Three direct bursts from my M16 to the torso only took off 20% of my target's health. I'm pretty sure it means that headshots and leg shots are the only reliable ways to down someone with that shit equipped.

Warcry on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    According to some reports, the second set of VIP maps unlocks on March 30th. Not sure if that's been said yet. If so...continue!

Yeah, the date has been up in the in-game store since launch. The 18th we get uniform and weapon re-skins.

Ranced on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm enjoying using the C4 as an uber grenade. I got like five people in one blast the other day in port v by jinking up a hill and lobbing it over their cover. I don't think they even saw it.

On the flip side, mind, 50% of the time you die because you can't switch to the detonator and press it fast enough. But it's pretty entertaining.

Also it turns out I am a good tank driver. Hooray!

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »

Yeah, the date has been up in the in-game store since launch. The 18th we get uniform and weapon re-skins.

Ah, that explains why I didn't know. PS3 version still hasn't fixed its store, as of last night.

Continue then.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

According to this data, having it on means you can take on 1 or 2 extra bullets before you die.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6395/updatedstats.png

That doesn't make a big enough difference for me. On average, it's only .5 to .3 seconds between bullets. I would rather have different perk for that slot.

AhiMahi on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nothing like joining team SUCK before the server crashes after a match. Gotta love respawning to die several times in a row. Least I got to stab Winnie in the face for killing my Bradley.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »

Speaking of body armor.

omfg

Do you even realize how fucking hard it is to kill people with body armour on? Three direct bursts from my M16 to the torso only took off 20% of my target's health. I'm pretty sure it means that headshots and leg shots are the only reliable ways to down someone with that shit equipped.
    Yeah no it doesn't do that. It makes you shoot them one or two more times, at most.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OP = Opossum

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • zippyllamazippyllama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are there any maps that start with a chopper on each side so I can jump in a 0 player game and practice flying?

zippyllama on
This discussion has been closed.