As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MICHAEL BAY ON]Bad Company 2: Carl Gustav is king!

• s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just checking: has the friends list been broken for everyone else since last night?

s3rial one on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Just checking: has the friends list been broken for everyone else since last night?

Yup. Still broken?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Yup. Still broken?

Just checked again. Yeah, it's still broken.

s3rial one on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @zippyllama: Forum Lurkers are always welcome. Forum Trolls...yeah not so much ;-)
    Helps to have the PA tag in your name as well. Less likely for Tyrannus, Sladvan or I to kick you. Unless your name is like Marihuana4Life or something.

Or Hacksaw, or Goomba. Also, Marihuana4Life is an upstanding contributor to the server and I won't have you bad mouthing him, Mr. Carbonfire.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Yup. Still broken?

Just checked again. Yeah, it's still broken.

It was fixed for an hour or so. Managed to add a few people. Then it broke again.

TekDragon on
    edited March 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »
    @zippyllama: Forum Lurkers are always welcome. Forum Trolls...yeah not so much ;-)
    Helps to have the PA tag in your name as well. Less likely for Tyrannus, Sladvan or I to kick you. Unless your name is like Marihuana4Life or something.

Or Hacksaw, or Goomba. Also, Marihuana4Life is an upstanding contributor to the server and I won't have you bad mouthing him, Mr. Carbonfire.

714853062_PF376-L.jpg

s3rial one on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »

Or me. I'm an admin. Sladvan said he would give it to me. I can't actually do anything, but I feel good that I can be considered one anyway.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i could give you admin too

tyrannus on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sig generator is pretty cool.

How do you get it in your sig properly? It says the image is the wrong type and won't upload.

Also, thanks for the UAV tips. I did not know about the various perk effects on it, I just stuck with Alt Fire for the minigun. Succinct to say tanks will be asploding left and right. :P

Works fine for me.

What did you put in? I tried the direct link and the Forum BB Code, but the image appears to be a .png and I can't upload it.

EtherealWalrus on
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, what's the deal with engineers inside choppers? Sometimes I can fix a chopper while inside it and sometimes I can't. There some kind of glitch with that or am I missing something?

I had the same problem, and was super pissed at first - I was imagining rolling in Engy points in a Blackhawk on that island map, since they're such a huge pain to knock down even while mortal, but still take sporadic MG fire for me to duct tape.

Turns out you need to kinda stick the tool against the chopper and wave it around until you hit a sweet spot and the health starts increasing. It's not always the same area that works, and there's no difference visually when you get it going (aside from the health percentage rising), but it's not too tough to manage. Try the back of the chopper near the bench seats, and above the door a little.

Stupid, but there ya go (on XBox anyways). Also, the Blackhawk repairs REALLY fast, like 30% in 10-15 seconds.

VedicIntent on
    VT09mOz.png
    edited March 2010
    SOMEWHERE AT EA CORPORATE
    DICE Employee #1: "...and it'll be a game based around intense team-based firefights. Players will battle over capture points or MCOM systems. And players will be split into classes, to give them individual roles and help facilitate cooperation!"

DICE Employee #2: "Our first class is the assault. He carries assault rifles and grenades and dispenses ammo. He keeps his team resupplied while specializing in short-medium range combat and blowing through cover with his rifle-mounted grenade launcher."

DICE Employee #2: "The second class is the engineer. They have SMGs and anti-vehicle weapons. They're focused on vehicles, blowing them up and repairing them. But they can also use their anti-tank weapons to destroy cover and people."

DICE Employee #1: "The third class is the medic. He carries a machinegun and focuses on healing his teammates and keeping them fighting. He can lay down suppressing fire with his machinegun to help his team advance, too."

DICE Employee #2: "Our last class is the [strike]recon[/strike] sniper. While the others fight over MCOMs and capture points to win, snipers use their grossly disproportionate risk/reward to pad their kill-to-death ratios so they can put them in their sigs on forum sites. It's kind of like they're playing a completely different game from everybody else.

Snipers carry extremely high-powered rifles that can mount 12x scopes can one-shot people from ranges the other classes can't even see them at. They also wear ghillie suits that make them extremely difficult to see in foliage. And just for fun, we're giving them the most powerful, long-range weapon in the game. It does massive AoE damage. It also has unlimited ammo."

SIX MONTHS LATER, SHORTLY AFTER RELEASE, IN THE SAME CONFERENCE ROOM
    DICE Employee #1: The game's selling great! We're looking at some balance tweaks, though. We see from our stats that people playing a recon as a sniper are about 2-1 more popular than all of the other classes combined. We're not quite sure why!
    I'm not arguing that snipers are over-powered, particularly. Just, basically, SMALL FUCKING WONDER they're like some sort of goddamn infestation.

s3rial one on
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Today I had a successful run at [RUSH] Ilse Inocentes today, going 2/2 Def./Attk. My first time doing so since release.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that sure is a post you wrote, s3erial!

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So what, exactly, is the problem? A team with more than a couple recon players sniping virtually always loses. Plus, I've had mortar strikes called on my position lots of times; I almost always walk away. Plus, 40mm grenades and Carl Gustavs are much more powerful long-range weapons; they can kill multiple targets with a single hit plus kill armored vehicles.

They're an infestation because lots of players are stupid, not because the class is some magical win class. I've gotten dozens and dozens more kills from playing recon up-close than using high-powered rifles or artillery.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know, DICE originally combined Sniper/Spec Ops to try and reduce the amount of people sitting around and killing people, and not otherwise helping their team. Sadly, when you give a class focused on camping C4, a rifle, and an optional SMG, it doesn't quite end well

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    that sure is a post you wrote, s3erial!

I have to ask....is your sig a goblin driving a truck?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2010
    So what, exactly, is the problem?
    A team with more than a couple recon players sniping virtually always loses.

That, basically.

The class (speaking of snipers, not recons as a whole) just don't contribute much to the game, and there are too damned many of them.

It's not a "OMG NERF X!" post. Just a god-fucking-dammit-I'm-so-fucking-sick-and-tired-of-snipers post.

I'd love to see some sort of population control, either making them less "cool," or requiring such a high degree of skill to play successfully that most people just give up in frustration. Or something else. I don't know. I just would like to log into a server to play a round, and not see half my team clad in ghillie suits, sitting on the starting island in Isla Innocentes, and know this is going to be a long, slow loss.

s3rial one on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno sniping is pretty hard maybe you should try it sometime instead of writing long-winded pointless posts that could be summed up with "I hate snipers."

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it makes you feel any better, I haven't unlocked a single thing in the recon class.

I feel I'm far more useful to my team as anything but a recon.

TwistedJester on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You should go play MW2, where snipers are so bad hardly anyone uses them

BlindPsychic on
    edited March 2010
    Well, in this game, I can use a pistol at long ranges better than I can most sniper rifles

elliotw2 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Sig generator is pretty cool.

How do you get it in your sig properly? It says the image is the wrong type and won't upload.

Also, thanks for the UAV tips. I did not know about the various perk effects on it, I just stuck with Alt Fire for the minigun. Succinct to say tanks will be asploding left and right. :P

I had to save mine as a jpg and all lower case.

Sheep on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would agree with the snipers being useless in previous battlefield games, but with the decreased player and vehicle numbers, I think a good recon can do just as much and be just as helpful to his team as any other.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well that's part of the problem; Recons actually do require a decent level of skill to kill anything at a significant range effectively. Tagging someone in the head from half a mile away while they're sprinting around is really hard.

Most recons seem content with 20% accuracy, though.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited March 2010
    Well no duh a good recon can be useful. Mortars or C4, giving away enemy positions on the radar, and the obvious quick kills are all useful.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    Well that's part of the problem; Recons actually do require a decent level of skill to kill anything at a significant range effectively. Tagging someone in the head from half a mile away while they're sprinting around is really hard.

Most recons seem content with 20% accuracy, though.

I guess that's what's frustrating.

Every other class, even if you suck, you still contribute something to your teammates. The worst assault can still restock ammo. The worst medic can still heal and rez. The worst engineer can still blow up buildings and repair vehicles.

But a bad sniper... fuck... they just miss and miss and miss. The only real team-friendly skill they have is the motion mine, and it has way-to-limited ammo and only works at ranges that do the team no goddamn good at all.

If anything, they've got the mortar and the motion mine backwards; the motion mines ought to have infinite ammo, and the mortar should be limited.

s3rial one on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bad medics don't heal or rez, and bad assaults don't drop ammo.

I agree the mortar should need ammo though.

Suriko on
    edited March 2010
    Hey "guys" the recon class has more than the fucking sniper rifle please stop acting like it doesn't before I ban you all from the server while tyr&!*%# and Sladvan aren't watching.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My biggest issue with the prevalence of Recon players is that the spawn cam makes it looks like I'm in a squad full of goddamn Wookies (or, depending on the level, Yeti).

Then I wish there was a Star Wars/MonsterQuest crossover game that featured 32 vs. 32 gun-toting Wookie Vs. Yeti combat, and I cry and single, nerdy tear.

Lawndart on
    edited March 2010
    Right, the Recon is a combo of the old Sniper and Spec Ops class, so it has mortar strikes, C4, and motion detectors. This doesn't stop 90% of recon players from sitting on a cliff trying their best to shoot that guy way on the other side of the map

elliotw2 on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hate snipers.

tofu on
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't make the motion mines limitless. Maybe let them carry three and extend their lifetime to a minute. Combining a Recon or two and an ammo box is scary effective.

For example, I figured out that if an Assault comes with me to that one lighthouse just to drop off an ammo box I can pretty much hold my ground indefinitely, all by myself. It's so dark in there that the motion mines make all the difference. Whenever the motion mines aren't beeping at me, I can focus on spotting, mortaring, and decapitating everyone attacking the bomb points on the shore (especially B).

If motion mines were limitless, I wouldn't need to coordinate with anyone to pull that off.

Dusda on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Right, the Recon is a combo of the old Sniper and Spec Ops class, so it has mortar strikes, C4, and motion detectors. This doesn't stop 90% of recon players from sitting on a cliff trying their best to shoot that guy way on the other side of the map

Not even doing it well either.

Is it laggy as all fuck or is that just me tonight?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited March 2010
    With the new way they are doing shotguns, the Recon could be crazy effective in close ranges as a defender, or even an attacker. Lob in a motion mine, drop a mortar on the flag, charge in with Spas-12.

elliotw2 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    +186 marksman headshots make me happy

got my first best player badge as a recon pulling those off

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i knew i didn't regret exclaiming to the server you were the best

tyrannus on
    edited March 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Bad medics don't heal or rez, and bad assaults don't drop ammo.

I agree the mortar should need ammo though.

My point was one of skill, though. It doesn't take skill to be helpful to the team as a medic/assault/engineer. A recon without skill, though, is literally just wasted space. They don't kill guys, they don't support, they don't do anything, except take up a space.

E.g. I'll take the most talentless medic you can find over even a moderately skilled sniper so long as the medic throws health kits and rezzes once in a while.

s3rial one on
    edited March 2010
    Can you instantly blow up the Blackhawk in any way besides C4? I tag and bag them all the time with RPGs, but rarely get a kill out of it since everyone just jumps out.

Dusda on
    edited March 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    Can you instantly blow up the Blackhawk in any way besides C4? I tag and bag them all the time with RPGs, but rarely get a kill out of it since everyone just jumps out.

I think the AT4 can. I know I've killed one in a single shot before, but I don't know if it was already damaged.

I've had good luck with the C2, too. Usually a good shot broad-side will kill at least one of the gunners and down the chopper. They still get a chance to bail, though.

s3rial one on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The RPG-7 definitely downs Blackhawks on the first hit. The CG is slightly less effective for destroying the helo outright.

Mechanical on
This discussion has been closed.