As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a fat chair

th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
ok so I need a new chair for in front of my computer. I am a big guy I am 6 foot 5 and 300lbs. I need a new chair as the folding chair I have been sitting on. I am losing wight. but I am sick of buying chairs every 3 years.

th3thirdman on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Try an Aeron size C.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1. Grow huge flowing beard.
    2. Acquire battleaxe.
    3. Fashion a throne from the skull of your fallen foes.

Venoch on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Venoch wrote: »
    2. Acquire battleaxe.

Is that what those Ikea picture instructions actually mean?

Hmm. Actually makes sense now.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have one of these: http://www.standardsystems.com/Airro/airro8701247sshd.htm

It is not cheap, but not much for guys our size is.

Retail for it was almost $500. It comes with a great warranty and is rated for up to 400lbs at 24 hours. Meaning, it is meant to be comfortable and ergonomic for a 400lb person 24/7. You will probably not find it at a normal retail store, and might need to hit a corporate furniture supply store. I am a big guy myself, this is the best chair purchase I ever made. I am glad I forked over the extra dough.

Noquar on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Look up big and tall chairs on the office supply retailers' websites.

I snagged a nice leather Broyhill one from Office max for $200 a while back on clearance.

Got it when I weighed 350lbs. and it was nice. Now that I've lost 65 lbs. and counting it's starting to feel big.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Venoch wrote: »
    2. Acquire battleaxe.

That will take forever and be structurally unstable.

You need to use thighbones and ribcages for the chassis and the skulls for the outward decoration.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just get something without arms.

I have this chair from Ikea and I love it.

72737_PE188902_S4.jpg

Asiina on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got sick of spending money on chairs so instead I just bought the cheapest tolerable chair at Staples. Or maybe it was Office Depot/Max. Whatever. Point is is that that chair has lasted longer than any other chair I've owned and has been comfy, and it was $75.

So yeah, I'd suggest just going to an office store and sitting in them. Perhaps bring a book or something so you spend a little time in each chair.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    Just get something without arms.

I have this chair from Ikea and I love it.

72737_PE188902_S4.jpg

I am sitting on this chair in green right now and it's super comfortable.
    mind you, I am 125 pounds, so your results may vary.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I've had mine for 2 years and it's held up very well. It's very bouncy, flexible, and super comfortable.

Asiina on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I got sick of spending money on chairs so instead I just bought the cheapest tolerable chair at Staples. Or maybe it was Office Depot/Max. Whatever. Point is is that that chair has lasted longer than any other chair I've owned and has been comfy, and it was $75.

So yeah, I'd suggest just going to an office store and sitting in them. Perhaps bring a book or something so you spend a little time in each chair.

same here - 100 dollar chair from staples. its comfortable and has lasted over 3 years. it has arms but i have wide hips and it fits me fine.

mully on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Try an Aeron size C.

QFT.

Herman Miller Aerons are amazing chairs IMHO... and they've been replaced by newer models, so they're no longer that expensive.... if you consider how much time you spend in your chair, it's definitely worth it to invest in a good, ergonomic design like the Aeron.... keep in mind that it's completely maintainable and customizeable part by part, so you're completely safe buying a used one on craigslist/ebay and then fixing it as needed.... i.e. when a caster breaks on a Staples chair, you get a new chair... when one breaks on an Aeron, you just get a new caster... or armrest, or seat, or back, or lumbar support, etc. etc.

in fact, i got mine for free, got a new seat for it ($80), and a new set of hardwood casters ($20), and it's like new.

http://www.officechairadvice.com/aeron-chair/aeron/aeron-ergonomic-chair-size-selection.html

illig on