As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A fuck up can be a person or an act, as in "he fucked up."

And I was elaborating on what I said earlier about Pym's actions.

And when did you become Mr. Semantics anyway?

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

More like Mr. Semenantics, 'mmm I 'rite?

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Puns are spreading! It's an event that will never fatigue!

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, are we doing penis jokes now? Just so I know...

Solar on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

well that is all well and good

but tell me one thing pym has done that can not be considered a fuck up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Oh, are we doing penis jokes now? Just so I know...

They're acceptable if directed at TLB.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    Fair enough.

Solar on
    edited March 2010

Avengers Forever.

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

inspired Scott Lang and Eric O'Grady?

Antimatter on
    edited March 2010

My point was that Mighty Avengers' Pym doesn't excel as a book about a fuck up either, because the fuck ups aren't grand enough.

And Pym isn't a total fuck up, even in that book. He made both Reed and Osborn look like chumps. Plus he figured out how to capture gods.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    Eric O'grady is a cool dude. I would chill with him (but never trust him in the slightest).

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

inspired Scott Lang and Eric O'Grady?

well one's dead and the other is a douchebag

so hey they really did follow pym's example!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I argue O'Grady is a way bigger douche than Pym could ever be.

Furu on
    edited March 2010
    Well see Pym has the disadvantage of people knowing who he is

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2010

My point was that Mighty Avengers' Pym doesn't excel as a book about a fuck up either, because the fuck ups aren't grand enough.

And Pym isn't a total fuck up, even in that book. He made both Reed and Osborn look like chumps. Plus he figured out how to capture gods.

well mighty avengers focused more on pym's douchebaggery than his fuck ups

I agree with this

The perfect Pym book would have a synergy between the two

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Pym reminds me of Anti-Matter Lex Luthor, especially in that scene where Anti-Matter Luthor breaks down a little and asks why he fails at everything he does. He's brilliant, but the universe itself cannot allow him to succeed.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think that Hank finding a way to trap a god was brilliant and I don't really understand why everyone on the team got so jumpy about it. The main argument against the device was that it trapped gods, which the gods considered offensive. You know what, boo fucking hoo Thor. Loki is too much of a wild card and causes waaaaaay to much strife to not warrant being taken off the field of play, whether it's temporary or permanent.

I even thought that the idea of Loki being made an Avenger could have possible worked had Thor been behind. But you would have to do it in the right context. Loki is an evil, manipulative silly goose, but if it was Thor saying "for the crime of being a dick in general, I sentence you to fifty years as an Avenger."

That actually could have been pretty cool. But everyone quit instead, which I also understand because as brilliant as Pym is, all these Marvel Universe brainiacs have this sense of entitlement which just puts me off.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You don't see how having the god of lies watching your back might be somewhat troubling for sane people?

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2010
    We're not talking about sane people, we're talking about Avengers (more specifically Hank Pym's Avengers).

Having a god of lies could be beneficial if he was being coerced into your service.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Loki actually being on the team would have really captured my interest. Maybe you could give Loki the same curse Thor had as well, back when the Avengers first started and he mostly just existed as Donald Blake's alter-ego. Maybe you could also curse him so he can't lie anymore, which would be a hilarious for such a bastard to have.

Part of me thinks Slott might still go that route, as I can't understand why he'd raise the possibility without intending to follow through.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know... part of me wonders if they made Eric O'Grady into Ant Man to make Pym seem LESS of a douche.

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife
    -Asked Loki to join the Avengers
    -and various Ego trip stuff.

O'Grady
    -Talks friend into stealing top secret government suit
    -Steals said suit off of dead friends body
    -Hooks up with dead friends girlfriend
    -Cons free dinner off of girl he saves, and then stays in her apartment in ant-size, watching her shower
    -actually does alot of watching people shower (including Ms. Marvel)...

you know, there's like 12 straight issues of this stuff, I'll be writing forever to try to remember all of it.

yeah, I think O'Grady takes the douche award on sheer quantity. Pym may have a couple of massive f-ups, but even hitting his wife is no comparison to trying to sleep with his dead friends girlfriend on his friends GRAVE.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited March 2010
    He knocked her up too, remember?

And then he hit a teenage girl, but it was okay because she was huge at the time.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So are we kinda ignoring the fact that Hank Pym's Terrible Choice occurred after Loki was released from Pym's machine and therefore had his powers back?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    I'm not even sure what Loki's powers are. I guess he can do anything, except for when he can't?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    He can't force his influence on people. He's just a very gifted liar.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think that Hank finding a way to trap a god was brilliant and I don't really understand why everyone on the team got so jumpy about it. The main argument against the device was that it trapped gods, which the gods considered offensive.

I think it may have had something to do with the fact that it was also a torture device. Quicksilver was using it to hurt Loki, as I recall.

Peeps Chicken on
    edited March 2010
    I think that Hank finding a way to trap a god was brilliant and I don't really understand why everyone on the team got so jumpy about it. The main argument against the device was that it trapped gods, which the gods considered offensive.

I think it may have had something to do with the fact that it was also a torture device. Quicksilver was using it to hurt Loki, as I recall.

If anyone needs hurting, it's Loki. But I understand the moral dilemma it brings to the table, like what would happen if nefarious characters got a hold of the technology.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited March 2010
    I think that Hank finding a way to trap a god was brilliant and I don't really understand why everyone on the team got so jumpy about it. The main argument against the device was that it trapped gods, which the gods considered offensive. You know what, boo fucking hoo Thor. Loki is too much of a wild card and causes waaaaaay to much strife to not warrant being taken off the field of play, whether it's temporary or permanent.

I even thought that the idea of Loki being made an Avenger could have possible worked had Thor been behind. But you would have to do it in the right context. Loki is an evil, manipulative silly goose, but if it was Thor saying "for the crime of being a dick in general, I sentence you to fifty years as an Avenger."

That actually could have been pretty cool. But everyone quit instead, which I also understand because as brilliant as Pym is, all these Marvel Universe brainiacs have this sense of entitlement which just puts me off.

Thor's big "it's a crime to trap gods!" pissed me off too. What, you think your entitled to free reign just because you call yourself a God? Fuck that noise.

Solar on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know... part of me wonders if they made Eric O'Grady into Ant Man to make Pym seem LESS of a douche.

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife

O'Grady
    -Cons free dinner off of girl he saves, and then stays in her apartment in ant-size, watching her shower

you know, there's like 12 straight issues of this stuff, I'll be writing forever to try to remember all of it.

yeah, I think O'Grady takes the douche award on sheer quantity. Pym may have a couple of massive f-ups, but even hitting his wife is no comparison to trying to sleep with his dead friends girlfriend on his friends GRAVE.

Difference is...if I was in O'Grady's situation...I would totally have done the same things. If I was in Pym's situation, I would probably exile myself as a monk for the safety and well-being of all mankind and wives.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thor's big "it's a crime to trap gods!" pissed me off too. What, you think your entitled to free reign just because you call yourself a God? Fuck that noise.

Egad.

That's a neat trick that Pym has pulled off, but I bet that will be the last time it's ever mentioned.

On an unrelated note, I found the perfect pet for TLB.

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty sure it was the same trick Pym used to trap Loki at the end of AVENGERS #1 (vol 1). Naturally, Thor didn't give a shit back then.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Here's the latest Avenger's reveal, which I think makes perfect sense and fits in well with the rest of the members.
    Heh, psych...

cshadow42 on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife

O'Grady

Difference is...if I was in O'Grady's situation...I would totally have done the same things. If I was in Pym's situation, I would probably exile myself as a monk for the safety and well-being of all mankind and wives.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you'd seriously do all of that in the same situation you are a terrible person.

Furu on
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife

O'Grady

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you'd seriously do all of that in the same situation you are a terrible person.

A. All I'm doing is talking, its his decision to put words into actions. I BS with my friends every day about stuff, doesn't mean they have to go through with it.
    B. Hey, not like he's going to use the suit anymore. And its not like I killed him.
    C. She needs consoling. I'm helping her work through the stages of grief.
    D. 1. Its a free meal by an appreciative person! Its just my way of accepting their thanks. It'd be rude to turn it down! 2. Its not like I'm taking pictures to distribute on the Internet. It doesn't harm her at all, especially if she's ignorant of what is happening.
    E. See D2

cshadow42 on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's the latest Avenger's reveal, which I think makes perfect sense and fits in well with the rest of the members.
    Heh, psych...

Just a warning, that image has some potential spoilers for some later Walking Dead stuff.

Sharp101 on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Particularly when Thor has been shown in the past to be fairly humble about being regarded as a god by motrals.

Wildcat on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Heh, psych...

Just a warning, that image has some potential spoilers for some later Walking Dead stuff.

I'm only on TPB 6 right now, and seeing that picture of Rick has definitely got me interested to see what happens.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife

O'Grady

A. All I'm doing is talking, its his decision to put words into actions. I BS with my friends every day about stuff, doesn't mean they have to go through with it.
    B. Hey, not like he's going to use the suit anymore. And its not like I killed him.
    C. She needs consoling. I'm helping her work through the stages of grief.
    D. 1. Its a free meal by an appreciative person! Its just my way of accepting their thanks. It'd be rude to turn it down! 2. Its not like I'm taking pictures to distribute on the Internet. It doesn't harm her at all, especially if she's ignorant of what is happening.
    E. See D2

Not sure if you've actually read it but:
    C: He also tries to have sex with her on his friends GRAVE. Eventually they do hook up and afterwards he dumps her. Unfortunately she got pregnant. When he eventually finds out, he basically says he wants nothing to do with it, and leaves.
    E/D2: actually when he was at Ms. Marvels he did intend to do just that... until he found out he was on a SHIELD vessel and decided to hightail it out of there immediately.

ManetherenWolf on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, it didn't take G.R.A.M.P.A. long to find out about the state of Pym's team if this preview is any indication.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2010
    When did USAgent get decommissioned? That's bullshit!

TexiKen on