As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Reminds me of an Exiles version of Simon.

Could be seeing what Bendis mentioned of the first story already.

What's he mentioned already? I love Wonder Man and hated seeing him get shafted after Secret Invasion.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Really, whats bad about SIEGE is that it should be Bucky leading them, hes lead the new Avengers all the time Caps been gone and hes actually aware of everything thats happened while Cap isn't.

If you check out Siege 3, Bucky Cap IS giving the orders to the Avengers, not Steve.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Really, whats bad about SIEGE is that it should be Bucky leading them, hes lead the new Avengers all the time Caps been gone and hes actually aware of everything thats happened while Cap isn't.

If you check out Siege 3, Bucky Cap IS giving the orders to the Avengers, not Steve.

They're both in the uniform? I didn't even really realise Bucky was there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Reminds me of an Exiles version of Simon.

Could be seeing what Bendis mentioned of the first story already.

What's he mentioned already? I love Wonder Man and hated seeing him get shafted after Secret Invasion.

That Kang shows up and that the space-time continuum gets broken, leading to appearances by certain characters like Spider-Girl, some AoA characters and I think the Maestro.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

They're both in the uniform? I didn't even really realise Bucky was there.

Yeah, Bucky's got big ass guns and Steve's got the shield, but Bucky's the one calling plays.

Hensler on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kinda considered that to be an on-the-job training of sorts for Bucky.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It occurred to me that if you look at the new NA as just Ben, Luke and Carol that it is the all-powerhouse team Carol wanted the Mighty Avengers to be in issue #1. And that's awesome because I would love to just read 22 pages a month of those three punching the crap out of Evil.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hopefully it actually follows through with that premise, which Mighty Avengers did not do thanks to Cho delaying the book and the Secret Invasion terrible tie-ins and then it turned into Slott's book.

The last issues of Bagley's arc where they actually went into Latveria, that is what I expected the book to be (and even then they had an issue of time travel).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It occurred to me that if you look at the new NA as just Ben, Luke and Carol that it is the all-powerhouse team Carol wanted the Mighty Avengers to be in issue #1. And that's awesome because I would love to just read 22 pages a month of those three punching the crap out of Evil.

I'm pretty glad Carol is on the team. Otherwise it's a bunch of guys who combat techniques are pretty much limited to "punch them in the face," and at least Carol has some cool energy powers. Guys who can just punch are OK but controllers/blasters round out the team nicely.

Also, and I hate to tell you this, but Thing and Luke Cage aren't really heavy hitters. I think what Carol meant with the Might Avengers was "Let's have me, you, She-Hulk, Wonderman, Ares, Sentry and the Vision, and if somebody bad turns up we will mob them with class 100s while shooting them in the face with energy blasts until they fall over."

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm assuming pre-SI tie-ins MA was supposed to read a lot like DA has if it came out on time. Though it was still clunky as Hell even though the first arc did actually have a lot of stuff going on. But of course it's not going to be those three punching bad guys. I may as well be Munch making that wish.
    Solar wrote: »
    Also, and I hate to tell you this, but Thing and Luke Cage aren't really heavy hitters. I think what Carol meant with the Might Avengers was "Let's have me, you, She-Hulk, Wonderman, Ares, Sentry and the Vision, and if somebody bad turns up we will mob them with class 100s while shooting them in the face with energy blasts until they fall over."

If I say Luke and Thing (Come on, Thing's thing is being the guy they throw at the Hulk when he goes nuts) are heavy hitters, then by God they are.

That said, yes, that was generally her idea although she didn't want Bob on the team and Tony forced himself onto "her" team.

OBTW, Tex, your current sig contains a noticeable lack of Alison Brie.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's kind of weird to have this team of street level guys and then Ms. Marvel though.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    She and Thing should just team up together for the sci-fi adventures Reed can't be bothered with.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Luke Cage is not a heavy hitter. He's a mediumweight at best. The Thing is a pretty hard guy but She-Hulk/Colossus/Wonderman all outclass him. Besides, what is he doing on the Avengers? He's in the F4! Get him off and get She-Hulk on the scene in his place (can't stand the Thing. He looks so stupid with his orange hide and big eyebrows.)

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You're just jealous 'cause he can rock a beard a million times harder than Bob.

Or you.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He can't rock a beard, he's made of bright orange stone. He looks stupid and he can fuck off.

And Bob looks cool with a beard. He had one at the beginning of New Avengers and it was funky.

Unlike me. I look daft with facial hair. I'll admit that one.

Solar on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    3208318740_2921063288.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ahaha awww, I forgot about that prank Johnny pulled on him

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Solar, you don't like the Thing? Not cool, bro. Besides, he used to bump uglies with Ms. Marvel.

Hensler on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Different Mrs. Marvel, though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That prank is great

Also that JRJR cover is dogshit

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Different Mrs. Marvel, though.

He's been with both Ms. Marvels.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Solar, you don't like the Thing? Not cool, bro. Besides, he used to bump uglies with Ms. Marvel.

I'm exaggerating. I simply am not interested in his character, his story or his powers, and I think he looks silly and outdated, so rather than say I don't like him I'll say right now that I don't care for him and he deosn't make me want to read Fantastic Four or indeed New Avengers by any stretch.

Solar on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Luke Cage is not a heavy hitter. He's a mediumweight at best. The Thing is a pretty hard guy but She-Hulk/Colossus/Wonderman all outclass him. Besides, what is he doing on the Avengers? He's in the F4! Get him off and get She-Hulk on the scene in his place (can't stand the Thing. He looks so stupid with his orange hide and big eyebrows.)

What? Colossus is stronger than The Thing? How does that work? And why would a guy, after all this time, let people refer to him as The Thing? Hell, Grimm is a better name and still suits his appearance. I'd go clobberin' everyone if they were calling me The Thing.

I'm exaggerating. I simply am not interested in his character, his story or his powers, and I think he looks silly and outdated, so rather than say I don't like him I'll say right now that I don't care for him and he deosn't make me want to read Fantastic Four or indeed New Avengers by any stretch.

The F4 is basicaly The Astonishing Reed, I can't remember the last time any of the other 3 did anything particularly important or interesting in the comic except maybe Future Sue, if she counts.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Fair enough. I guess I can't expect someone whose favorite character is the Sentry to have the best taste.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My favourite character in the Marvel Universe is actually not the Sentry. I will clarify by saying that currently they are not so stunning but that there is a huge amount of potential and with time to grow and the right handling he will be awesome-sauce.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My favourite character in the Marvel Universe is actually not the Sentry. I will clarify by saying that currently they are not so stunning but that there is a huge amount of potential and with time to grow and the right handling he will be awesome-sauce.

Noh-Varr?

Hensler on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who is your favorite? REVEAL YOUR SECRETS!

Furu on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Where the hell is Blue Marvel at while all this Siige business is going on?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Where the hell is Blue Marvel at while all this Siige business is going on?

Hopefully somewhere where we will never seem again.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just want to see him get ripped in two by the Void.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Noh-Varr?

Close, I do think Noh-Var is great and hope he will get a place on the Secret Avengers or something.
    Furu wrote: »
    Who is your favorite? REVEAL YOUR SECRETS!

Alexander. Seriously in the original mini-series when he's a badass kid trained by his dad who's then taught by Mikaboshi and co to be an awesome samurai warrior and wields Grasscutter, and then after he gets freed from their control talks with his dad about being the future God of Honour. I think he's got so much potential, and handled well could become an awesome part of the Marvel Universe, and I was so pleased when Secret Warriors and the like took his past and built on it. I'd love to see his character become a big name and be properly utilised.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, you've redeemed yourself, Solar. Alexander is pretty awesome. You can be in the Kool Kids Klub again, but you're on probation.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Your generosity is humbling, Hensler.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I know, I really am the best. And I CAN rock a sweet beard.

Hensler on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love The Thing.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spider-Man and Wolverine on both Avengers teams? Stupid. Hopefully, I can read the Academy book and not have to look at Wolverine. He'll probably show up as the substitute teacher for a few issues or something, and then it ends up being Kindergarten Cop with superpowers.

Now I kinda want that to happen. =\

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm reading a trade of the Mighty Avengers where Quicksilver has been possessed by a demon of some kind. Hercules says at one point that the god holding the demon back was killed during the Skrull invasion when the gods fought the Skrull-gods ... when did this happen? I know Thor cracked a few Skrull heads but I must have missed other cosmic fights.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    The NotThe Not Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    You know... part of me wonders if they made Eric O'Grady into Ant Man to make Pym seem LESS of a douche.

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife
    -Asked Loki to join the Avengers
    -and various Ego trip stuff.

O'Grady
    -Talks friend into stealing top secret government suit
    -Steals said suit off of dead friends body
    -Hooks up with dead friends girlfriend
    -Cons free dinner off of girl he saves, and then stays in her apartment in ant-size, watching her shower
    -actually does alot of watching people shower (including Ms. Marvel)...

you know, there's like 12 straight issues of this stuff, I'll be writing forever to try to remember all of it.

yeah, I think O'Grady takes the douche award on sheer quantity. Pym may have a couple of massive f-ups, but even hitting his wife is no comparison to trying to sleep with his dead friends girlfriend on his friends GRAVE.

Difference is...if I was in O'Grady's situation...I would totally have done the same things. If I was in Pym's situation, I would probably exile myself as a monk for the safety and well-being of all mankind and wives.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you'd seriously do all of that in the same situation you are a terrible person.

A. All I'm doing is talking, its his decision to put words into actions. I BS with my friends every day about stuff, doesn't mean they have to go through with it.
    B. Hey, not like he's going to use the suit anymore. And its not like I killed him.
    C. She needs consoling. I'm helping her work through the stages of grief.
    D. 1. Its a free meal by an appreciative person! Its just my way of accepting their thanks. It'd be rude to turn it down! 2. Its not like I'm taking pictures to distribute on the Internet. It doesn't harm her at all, especially if she's ignorant of what is happening.
    E. See D2
    That's creepy. You're creepy.

We'd all like to have Captain Marvel morals if we had any level of superpower. Most of us would probably be supervillians or anti-heroes at best.

The Not on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Not wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You know... part of me wonders if they made Eric O'Grady into Ant Man to make Pym seem LESS of a douche.

Pym
    -Created Ultron
    -Hit wife
    -Asked Loki to join the Avengers
    -and various Ego trip stuff.

O'Grady
    -Talks friend into stealing top secret government suit
    -Steals said suit off of dead friends body
    -Hooks up with dead friends girlfriend
    -Cons free dinner off of girl he saves, and then stays in her apartment in ant-size, watching her shower
    -actually does alot of watching people shower (including Ms. Marvel)...

you know, there's like 12 straight issues of this stuff, I'll be writing forever to try to remember all of it.

yeah, I think O'Grady takes the douche award on sheer quantity. Pym may have a couple of massive f-ups, but even hitting his wife is no comparison to trying to sleep with his dead friends girlfriend on his friends GRAVE.

Difference is...if I was in O'Grady's situation...I would totally have done the same things. If I was in Pym's situation, I would probably exile myself as a monk for the safety and well-being of all mankind and wives.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you'd seriously do all of that in the same situation you are a terrible person.

A. All I'm doing is talking, its his decision to put words into actions. I BS with my friends every day about stuff, doesn't mean they have to go through with it.
    B. Hey, not like he's going to use the suit anymore. And its not like I killed him.
    C. She needs consoling. I'm helping her work through the stages of grief.
    D. 1. Its a free meal by an appreciative person! Its just my way of accepting their thanks. It'd be rude to turn it down! 2. Its not like I'm taking pictures to distribute on the Internet. It doesn't harm her at all, especially if she's ignorant of what is happening.
    E. See D2
    That's creepy. You're creepy.

We'd all like to have Captain Marvel morals if we had any level of superpower. Most of us would probably be supervillians or anti-heroes at best.

No, O'Grady is kind of terrible, but unlike Hank Pym he's generally terrible in a harmless way. When O'Grady goes bad people feel really creeped out and dirty. When Hank Pym goes bad millions of people die (Annihilation Conquest).

Htown on
    steam_sig.png