As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPad Thread] iOS 4.2 coming in November. Now that's some bull.

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Welp. Going to go see if I can find one.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I'm curious if anyone here has bought one.. what do you intend to do with it?

I mean usage wise, it's not as if you can easily take it everywhere you go like in your pocket. And if I owned one i'd dread to take it with me anywhere for it being stolen.

I've still yet to understand the usefulness of it, I don't know anyone who intends to buy one. For example, when I was on holiday in Australia I bought myself an ipod touch (back when they first came out), the moment I showed it to my boss within a week he'd bought himself an iphone and within a month he'd bought all the sales guys and me (it manager, high five!) all iphones.

He's a slight gadget freak (plus he's pretty well off) and not even he is buying the ipad. If someone who drives a rather expensive BMW isn't buying one, then who is?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, I'm curious if anyone here has bought one.. what do you intend to do with it?

I mean usage wise, it's not as if you can easily take it everywhere you go like in your pocket. And if I owned one i'd dread to take it with me anywhere for it being stolen.

I've still yet to understand the usefulness of it, I don't know anyone who intends to buy one. For example, when I was on holiday in Australia I bought myself an ipod touch (back when they first came out), the moment I showed it to my boss within a week he'd bought himself an iphone and within a month he'd bought all the sales guys and me (it manager, high five!) all iphones.

He's a slight gadget freak (plus he's pretty well off) and not even he is buying the ipad. If someone who drives a rather expensive BMW isn't buying one, then who is?
    Mostly people you wouldn't expect to buy a computer at all, simply and specifically because it's not being marketed as a computer (or even really to computer people, since Apple already knows Steve Jobs can't take a deep breath without someone somewhere blogging it, how it indicates that the next iDevice will run the full OSXI, and what it means to the computing industry as a whole).

The iPad is being marketed very carefully as a sliver of glass that does things without you having to really think about it and without you having to sit down at a computer and figure out where your stuff is, what to open it with and where to save it when you're done.

So, yeah; grannies, Oprah watchers, liberal arts majors, and anyone else who wants to do computery things but is terrified of "real" computers.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Mostly people you wouldn't expect to buy a computer at all, simply and specifically because it's not being marketed as a computer (or even really to computer people, since Apple already knows Steve Jobs can't take a deep breath without someone somewhere blogging it, how it indicates that the next iDevice will run the full OSXI, and what it means to the computing industry as a whole).

The iPad is being marketed very carefully as a sliver of glass that does things without you having to really think about it and without you having to sit down at a computer and figure out where your stuff is, what to open it with and where to save it when you're done.

So, yeah; grannies, Oprah watchers, liberal arts majors, and anyone else who wants to do computery things but is terrified of "real" computers.

:x

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ipad_scrabble-big.jpg

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    does iBooks have any way to quickly flip through the book?

That's the one thing I wish Kindle could do. Like with a real book, how you know kind of what you're looking for and you just flip through it really quick until it catches your eye

Your two choice are to keep turning pages manually or to use the slider at the bottom. Remember tho that this isn't eink so you're able to turn pages very quickly.

To the guy asking what people are planning to do with them. First, jailbreak it. Then i plan to use it as my main couch/mobile surfing, reading and gaming device. I hope to add note taking to the list but im not holding my breath.

Houndx on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Houndx wrote: »

That's the one thing I wish Kindle could do. Like with a real book, how you know kind of what you're looking for and you just flip through it really quick until it catches your eye

Your two choice are to keep turning pages manually or to use the slider at the bottom. Remember tho that this isn't eink so you're able to turn pages very quickly.

To the guy asking what people are planning to do with them. First, jailbreak it. Then i plan to use it as my main couch/mobile surfing, reading and gaming device. I hope to add note taking to the list but im not holding my breath.

Do the pages turn as you move the slider, or do you have to move it and then wait for the page to load

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The other thing that would cause me to instantly get one, a jailbreak app that changes the interface into Star Trek Lcars.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No page flipping with the slider. But as long as you have an idea where your content is in the book, slide there then flip. I was just able to flip through about 80 pages in twenty to thirty seconds.

Houndx on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    ipad_scrabble-big.jpg
    Well reasoned and coherent as usual, I see.

The problem with that strip is that it's only funny if you assume that those five people never do anything else with their expensive electronic hardware except play scrabble.

Never mind that you can easily extend this "argument" to ridiculous proportions by comparing it to WoW (which is free to download now as I recall) and the amount the hardware that that is played on costs. I mean, doesn't an average raid have six guys? Each one of which will have at least a minimum spec PC with monitor etc. costing ~ $300, so there's $1800 off the bat just to play a "free" game.

But I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that you apparently can't read the thread title - there is a generic slate thread somewhere here, but it is not this one.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ipad_scrabble-big.jpg

The problem with that strip is that it's only funny if you assume that those five people never do anything else with their expensive electronic hardware except play scrabble.

Never mind that you can easily extend this "argument" to ridiculous proportions by comparing it to WoW (which is free to download now as I recall) and the amount the hardware that that is played on costs. I mean, doesn't an average raid have six guys? Each one of which will have at least a minimum spec PC with monitor etc. costing ~ $300, so there's $1800 off the bat just to play a "free" game.

But I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that you apparently can't read the thread title - there is a generic slate thread somewhere here, but it is not this one.

Yeah I made that thread

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    WeedlumWeedlum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ipad_scrabble-big.jpg

Yeah I made that thread
    Then go back to it and let us enjoy our iPads.

Speaking of my iPad, I just grabbed WarpGate and it's really fun so far. I haven't finished the tutorial yet, but I'm looking forward to sinking some good time in it tonight.

Weedlum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's a comic

it's supposed to exaggerate for comedic effect

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    whoa that's really cool

Need an ipad

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The other thing that would cause me to instantly get one, a jailbreak app that changes the interface into Star Trek Lcars.

I'm really wanting one (or another tablet like it) that I can make into a house-controlling handheld PC... thinking along the lines of one of the computers from Iron Man. If it spoke to me in Jarvis' voice I would need to buy looser pants...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm really wanting one (or another tablet like it) that I can make into a house-controlling handheld PC... thinking along the lines of one of the computers from Iron Man. If it spoke to me in Jarvis' voice I would need to buy looser pants...

You can do this with a smart phone to an extent but your computer wont be responding to voice commands very well as of yet.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Honestly, if you know roughly what you're looking for you're probably best searching within the book.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ipad_scrabble-big.jpg

also:
    originalhun.jpg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just picked mine up. Sync things now.

Is there a location on the app store for just ipad apps? I've already gotten all of my iphone ones on it and a few of the feature ipad apps, but I want to browse all the fancy ipad apps not just the main page ones.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to lose my mind if Apple doesn't give us a release date for the 3G model this week.

I know in the long run I'll be happy I changed my mind and switched my pre-order to the 3G version, but at this moment I am dying a little inside knowing I could have one in my hands right now had I not done so.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    WeedlumWeedlum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just picked mine up. Sync things now.

Is there a location on the app store for just ipad apps? I've already gotten all of my iphone ones on it and a few of the feature ipad apps, but I want to browse all the fancy ipad apps not just the main page ones.

Just go to the app store on your iPad. All of the apps that come up first will be for the iPad. It's pretty obvious which ones are for iPad and which ones are for iPhone.

Weedlum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok. Browsing the Internet on this thing is hot shit. Like really hot shit.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the best kind of shit

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I'm going to lose my mind if Apple doesn't give us a release date for the 3G model this week.

I know in the long run I'll be happy I changed my mind and switched my pre-order to the 3G version, but at this moment I am dying a little inside knowing I could have one in my hands right now had I not done so.

Its cheaper just to tether your phone to the ipad.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Wait you can do that? Go on

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah what phone do you have..

I can turn my palm pre into a mobile hot spot where more than one device can connect.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I can turn my palm pre into a mobile hot spot where more than one device can connect.

I have an iPhone

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I have an iPhone

Yeah you can tether it.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Droid can do that too, right?

I use PDANet to USB tether but I think I saw it had other options.

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There are a bunch of Android tethering solutions, though last I checked most of them required root access.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't look hard to root android.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nah, it's pretty simple.

Fats on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A good reason to keep a 3G is for its built in GPS that the Wifi one doesn't have (just the hotspot location system, which gets you to about a 2 block radius according to gizmodo).

Thats a decent enough reason for me to hold out for the 3G, that and although tethering is easy, if I was using it much, then I am killing my iPad and iPhone battery at the same time unless I have a power source nearby for one or both.

Think it just seems easier to just have the ability if and when I need it, especially since, ya know, no contract and all.

In other news, did mess with one today at the Apple store, and its slick. So glad they didn't just throw OS X or like some other tablets are planning, Windows 7 onto something and call it a day. Seems so much better using an OS system built around touch. Thing is damn fast too.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bah. I dont want to jailbreak my phone.

tethering is something I thought was eventually coming to the iPhone.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    You actually can't tether the iPhone to an iPad via the link above, because it relies on Bluetooth or USB connection tethering, two things the iPad does not support

you can tether if you can turn your iPhone into a wifi hotspot though, as with the MyWi app on Rock/Cydia

edit:
    Bah. I dont want to jailbreak my phone.

tethering is something I thought was eventually coming to the iPhone.

it's supported in software, but AT&T doesn't yet support tethering. see: http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html for how it'd work if they did.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Streaming Netflix is sooo win. SO WIN.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Word is they sold 700 000 of these today. Now I am jealous of 700 000 people.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dragon dictation is an amazing piece of software it's just a shame that it's not built in all the native apps. This post brought to you by dragon dictation.

Now I just have to decide which of these overpriced games will be my first iPad game.

-posted from my iPad

powersurge on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    VulnoX wrote: »
    A good reason to keep a 3G is for its built in GPS that the Wifi one doesn't have (just the hotspot location system, which gets you to about a 2 block radius according to gizmodo).

Thats a decent enough reason for me to hold out for the 3G, that and although tethering is easy, if I was using it much, then I am killing my iPad and iPhone battery at the same time unless I have a power source nearby for one or both.

Think it just seems easier to just have the ability if and when I need it, especially since, ya know, no contract and all.

In other news, did mess with one today at the Apple store, and its slick. So glad they didn't just throw OS X or like some other tablets are planning, Windows 7 onto something and call it a day. Seems so much better using an OS system built around touch. Thing is damn fast too.

Just had to say the display on this thing is amazing. So damn sharp.

Aoi on
This discussion has been closed.