As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPad Thread] iOS 4.2 coming in November. Now that's some bull.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All this iPad news is driving me crazy. They could at least give us a solid release date for the 3G model. At least then I'd know exactly how long I'd have to suffer.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm glad I ordered an iPad, but now i'm wondering if I'll regret not getting the 3G version.

hm.

I wasn't really all that excited for the device really until this week.

gearn on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gearn wrote: »
    I'm glad I ordered an iPad, but now i'm wondering if I'll regret not getting the 3G version.

hm.

I'm bet if you change your mind and decided you wanted to hold off until the 3G model comes out you could bring the unopened one to any Apple store and they'll refund you. I'm sure they'd have no problem selling it that same day.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    gearn wrote: »

hm.

same, but I'm more worried about the lack of GPS in my WiFi version hampering the device

the only thing that's actually stopping me from changing my pre-order is the flood of news from today. I don't want to wait another few weeks for the 3G models to be released

Monoxide on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's my thing with the iPad. I have a Macbook. I have an iMac. I have an iPhone. I have a really hard time seeing why I would need an iPad.

Also, yeah, the 16GB iPad is $400. But I have a 16GB iPhone and that shit fills up fast. Especially if you have a couple games, a couple TV show episodes, some music, a movie--and all of a sudden your iPad is memory-locked because in order to update apps it has to install the new version before it deletes the old one. So if you really want to be able to do anything cool with the iPad, you're going to need to get one with a lot more memory. All of a sudden it doesn't seem like such a great bargain.

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, and the iBooks thing is pretty cool. But what I like about the Nook and the Kindle is that they're SMALL. They're the same size as a trade paperback. The iPad looks big. it seems like it'll be a lot harder to use standing up on a crowded subway than a Kindle.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Here's my thing with the iPad. I have a Macbook. I have an iMac. I have an iPhone. I have a really hard time seeing why I would need an iPad.

Also, yeah, the 16GB iPad is $400. But I have a 16GB iPhone and that shit fills up fast. Especially if you have a couple games, a couple TV show episodes, some music, a movie--and all of a sudden your iPad is memory-locked because in order to update apps it has to install the new version before it deletes the old one. So if you really want to be able to do anything cool with the iPad, you're going to need to get one with a lot more memory. All of a sudden it doesn't seem like such a great bargain.

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, and the iBooks thing is pretty cool. But what I like about the Nook and the Kindle is that they're SMALL. They're the same size as a trade paperback. The iPad looks big. it seems like it'll be a lot harder to use standing up on a crowded subway than a Kindle.

I dunno, it doesn't seem too huge to me.
    012710_applesize_obs01.jpg

it's bigger than the Kindle (which is mysteriously absent), but not by much

edit: Okay, here. The kindle is (7 1/2” x 5” by .7”). The iPad is (9.56 inches x 7.47 inches x 0.5")

So the iPad is roughly 2 inches (26%) taller and 2.5 inches (50%) wider than the regular Kindle, slightly smaller than the Kindle DX, and thinner than both. That still doesn't seem like enough of a size increase to make it any harder to use.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

I dunno, it doesn't seem too huge to me.
    012710_applesize_obs01.jpg

it's bigger than the Kindle (which is mysteriously absent), but not by much

edit: Okay, here. The kindle is (7 1/2” x 5” by .7”). The iPad is (9.56 inches x 7.47 inches x 0.5")

So the iPad is roughly 2 inches (26%) taller and 2.5 inches (50%) wider than the regular Kindle, slightly smaller than the Kindle DX, and thinner than both. That still doesn't seem like enough of a size increase to make it any harder to use.

Total area of the iPad is 68% more than a Kindle. So quite a bit bigger.

iPad is 9.56 x 7.47 inches, Kindle is 8 x 5.3 inches, and the Nook is even smaller. And the iPad weighs over twice as much.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I realize that it's 68% larger in total area, but the kindle is small to begin with, so still don't think it's really that large of a device.

Maybe I have different standards since eBooks aren't going to be my primary use-case for the iPad, but I can't really imagine looking at something that's about an inch smaller each way than a legal pad and going "That's too large to carry around with me.", especially because I carry a legal pad all the time.

It is significantly heavier than a Kindle, but 1.5 pounds is still light enough that it won't hinder your ability to use it on the go

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How many people would buy an iPad right now if this wasn't an April 1 joke?

icade_main.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a really hard time seeing why I would need an iPad.

I've discovered someone who is not the target audience. I recommend you don't get one.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would want one a lot more if I didn't already have a laptop almost everywhere I go. One thing that would completely turn me off to it is if it wasn't any more legible than my Macbook outside. That particular issue hasn't been addressed in any reviews I've seen so far.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Mossberg covered it succiently in his review
    If you’re mainly a Web surfer, note-taker, social-networker and emailer, and a consumer of photos, videos, books, periodicals and music—this could be for you. If you need to create or edit giant spreadsheets or long documents, or you have elaborate systems for organizing email, or need to perform video chats, the iPad isn’t going to cut it as your go-to device.
    I also found iBooks, Apple’s book reader and store, easy to use, and read a couple of books on it. I consider the larger color screen superior to the Kindle’s, and encountered no eye strain. But the iPad is much heavier than the Kindle and most people will need two hands to use it. The iBooks app also lacks any way to enter notes, and Apple’s catalog at launch will only be about 60,000 books versus more than 400,000 for Kindle.

I did run into some other annoying limitations. For instance, the email program lacks the ability to create local folders or rules for auto-sorting messages, and it doesn’t allow group addressing. The browser lacks tabs. And the Wi-Fi-only version lacks GPS. Also, videophiles may dislike the fact that the iPad’s screen lacks wide-screen dimensions, so you either get black bars above or below wide-screen videos, or, if you choose an option to fill the screen, some of the picture may get cut off.

All in all, however, the iPad is an advance in making more-sophisticated computing possible via a simple touch interface on a slender, light device. Only time will tell if it’s a real challenger to the laptop and netbook.

All the stuff can be done nearly as well more a much cheaper netbook, but alas, the public only knows Apple. I await the Android tablets like the Notion Ink Adam.

Pogue's review was the best of them all though.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [All the stuff can be done nearly as well more a much cheaper netbook, but alas, the public only knows Apple. I await the Android tablets like the Notion Ink Adam.

Pogue's review was the best of them all though.

I know right? People are so stupid. If only they'd listen to you tell them what they really want they'd be so much happier.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    maniac98maniac98 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My feelings about this whole thing is "Eh, whatever I'll get what I want", but I like keeping up on this stuff so I can watch all the fights, and arguments it's going to start, since that's always the best part.

maniac98 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I know right? People are so stupid. If only they'd listen to you tell them what they really want they'd be so much happier.

Hey, I'm fine with the idea of 'just good enough' technology. If someone doesn't care to have a bit more power for the same price, that's up to them. Works for the Flip, Gmail, and shockingly, the iPod. I'm that way on some things myself. Doesn't change the truth of the statement, 'you can do the same on a cheaper netbook.'

Some are a little angry today, ey?

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Hey, I'm fine with the idea of 'just good enough' technology. If someone doesn't care to have a bit more power for the same price, that's up to them. Works for the Flip, Gmail, and shockingly, the iPod. I'm that way on some things myself. Doesn't change the truth of the statement, 'you can do the same on a cheaper netbook.'

Some are a little angry today, ey?

Nice of you to skip the "but alas, public only knows Apple", part. You know, the part where you insinuate that people are just too stupid to buy the supposedly better product.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nice of you to skip the "but alas, public only knows Apple", part. You know, the part where you insinuate that people are just too stupid to buy the supposedly better product.

The public only knows Apple. It's just the way it is. Ask a random person to name and MP3 player. How many would say Zune HD? It's an excellent product, but people only know the Apple iPod. Apple is marketing savvy and excellent at brand-building. That's not to say they don't also build great products, though they tend to take a few generations to get up to perfect speed. Do they always make the best product? No, but it's just good enough, designed to look good and streamlined, and marketed well.

Let's put it this way. If it came out from say, Asus. Same tech, completely down the line, would it be on CNN? NYT? The Morning News? Probably not.

Again, it's just a statement of truth.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm sure asus could replicate the hardware just fine.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The public only knows Apple. It's just the way it is. Ask a random person to name and MP3 player. How many would say Zune HD? It's an excellent product, but people only know the Apple iPod. Apple is marketing savvy and excellent at brand-building. That's not to say they don't also build great products, though they tend to take a few generations to get up to perfect speed. Do they always make the best product? No, but it's just good enough, designed to look good and streamlined, and marketed well.

Let's put it this way. If it came out from say, Asus. Same tech, completely down the line, would it be on CNN? NYT? The Morning News? Probably not.

you're entirely ignoring the fact that Apple was the best-in-class with the iPod for a long time, and the iPod Touch had been around for two years prior to the Zune HD being released. Obviously the iPod Touch is going to be what people think of, because it was there first.

There's a reason the iPod has dominated the MP3 market for so long, and though the Zune HD may be a better product in your opinion, the iPod Touch set the precedent that the Zune HD was based on. I fully expect someone to come out with a tablet that's more feature filled than the iPad and just as solidly built (like the Zune HD is to the iPod Touch). But the fact is, the iPad will have already cemented it's place in the market, and most imporantly, it will already have an enormously robust application library. This is exactly why the iPod Touch continues to sell more than the Zune HD, and exactly why it will continue to do so even in the face of other competitors improving upon its design.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    you're entirely ignoring the fact that Apple was the best-in-class with the iPod for a long time, and the iPod Touch had been around for two years prior to the Zune HD being released. Obviously the iPod Touch is going to be what people think of, because it was there first.

The iPod itself? I feel Creative had a better product early on, but Apple closed the gap. The iPod Touch, yes, and I would still use mine today if I didn't have a smartphone.
    There's a reason the iPod has dominated the MP3 market for so long, and though the Zune HD may be a better product in your opinion, the iPod Touch set the precedent that the Zune HD was based on. I fully expect someone to come out with a tablet that's more feature filled than the iPad and just as solidly built (like the Zune HD is to the iPod Touch). But the fact is, the iPad will have already cemented it's place in the market, and most imporantly, it will already have an enormously robust application library. This is exactly why the iPod Touch continues to sell more than the Zune HD, and exactly why it will continue to do so even in the face of other competitors improving upon its design.

Actually, I made no opinion either way. Zune HD was just the closest competitor I could think of. I could've gone with a Cowon or Creative, but the Zune came up in my head first.

On the tablet front, the inclusion of Google Android is the dark horse here. But again, it won't really matter. Notion Ink's Adam (again, just another random example from the ether) could come out $100 less, with more features with the full power of Android Marketplace behind it, and you wouldn't see it on Letterman. Apple is zeitgeist. Just the idea that they're making something new gets everybody speculating out in the real world.

I'm not sure why this is taken as an insult by some. It's good to be Apple.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

The other reason the iPod took off is because of iTunes. No other MP3 player in the world had a piece of software that was so intimately tired with the hardware. I've got a half-dozen devices that play MP3s but the only one I ever actually use is my iPod simply because of iTunes.

I actually bought the remote/headset for my PSP a while back because I was going to use it as a MP3 player, but I just couldn't stand the dragging and dropping method.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The other reason the iPod took off is because of iTunes. No other MP3 player in the world had a piece of software that was so intimately tired with the hardware. I've got a half-dozen devices that play MP3s but the only one I ever actually use is my iPod simply because of iTunes.

There is truth to this. iTunes was their trojan.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Actually, I made no opinion either way. Zune HD was just the closest competitor I could think of. I could've gone with a Cowon or Creative, but the Zune came up in my head first.

With what, the Creative Nomad Zen? The iPod won that battle because of the interface. The scroll wheel was just easier to use than nearly every other MP3 player on the market. That's why the iPod became what it was. Even when others were offering larger capacity, smaller hardware, and similar software integration, no one could beat the ease of scrolling through your music library.

iTunes helped a lot as well, but iTunes for Windows didn't come out until the iPod was already in deep competition with Creative and Diamond Multimedia.
    On the tablet front, the inclusion of Google Android is the dark horse here. But again, it won't really matter. Notion Ink's Adam (again, just another random example from the ether) could come out $100 less, with more features with the full power of Android Marketplace behind it, and you wouldn't see it on Letterman. Apple is zeitgeist. Just the idea that they're making something new gets everybody speculating out in the real world.

As much as I'd like to see an Android tablet that works as well as the iPad, I don't think the OS is ever going to have the developer support that will be necessary to compete. Android developers are constantly jumping ship because Google doesn't enforce OS version consistency among devices, and further segmenting the market into more form factors isn't going to make Android any less confusing to develop for. The java-based frameworks in the SDK are a joy to use, but actually testing and deploying your software is a nightmare.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

There is truth to this. iTunes was their trojan.

What does this even mean?

Also to the people who say "hurf durf my netbook costs less and does more:" your netbook is not an iPad. It's called cachet.

That said, I doubt I'll pick it up. I read actual books, not electronic ones, plus my iPhone is already my mobile device for pretty much everything. Heck since I've bought it, there are entire days I'll go without actually turning on my mac to do actual computer work.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait - the browser doesn't have tabs? What the fuck?

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Safari browser on the ipad has an Expose like interface for tab switching.

I mean. It has tabs. They just don't look like tabs?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

Right. I kind of wish it had traditional top-of-the-screen style tabs, but if you watch the Guided Tour video on the Apple site, it seems like it's fast enough to draw them up and put them away that it doesn't really matter. Plus the idea was to remove as much as possible from the top toolbar to save on screen space.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Assuming their videos aren't doctored, the rendering speed of the entire device seems incredibly impressive. Heavily streamlined software eff tee dubbleyoo

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Assuming their videos aren't doctored, the rendering speed of the entire device seems incredibly impressive. Heavily streamlined software eff tee dubbleyoo

I think it's because they took the iPhoneOS (giant iPhone lol) and put it on a much faster proc than it normally runs on, which gave them a lot of headroom.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh okay. Someone said it didn't earlier.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh okay. Someone said it didn't earlier.

I think it's not really "tabs" in the way a desktop has tabs. It has "sessions". Though testing on my wife's iPod Touch they still work like a desktop browser and will load a page in the background while you browse or read on another 'tab'. I guess the author was just disappointed that since they have extra screen space they didn't turn a 4-5 touch/swipe command into a single touch for simplicity.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tabs is a meaningless term.

A tab in Chrome is functionally comparable to a "New Window" in IE6, and by consequence, comparable to the Expose/Coverflow concept in Safari on the iPhone.

Tab describes an interface, not back-end behavior.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really, I don't know why you wouldn't argue that Apple has the mindshare thing down pat. Heck, they managed to get everyone to redefine tablet to being a slate MID, rather than the stylus based tablets that have been being used for more than a decade (and was what some people really wanted from an Apple tablet :?)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You can buy a macbook stylus-screen mod... it will cost you 3 grand, but it's out there.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This may have already been answered, but I'm thinking about picking up an iPad tomorrow morning and I really want to know:

Are there any Apps that make for good Comic/Manga viewers? I would love to use the iPad to catch up on some of my comic reading when I'm out of town, but I seem to remember having problems finding a viewer for my iPod Touch. Has this situation changed?

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Really, I don't know why you wouldn't argue that Apple has the mindshare thing down pat. Heck, they managed to get everyone to redefine tablet to being a slate MID, rather than the stylus based tablets that have been being used for more than a decade (and was what some people really wanted from an Apple tablet :?)

I think Apple gets mindshare by figuring out what people actually want: simple appliances. They didn't get away with "redefining tablet" because they have this magic mindshare, they got mindshare for the iPad by building something different from a decade's worth of failed general-purpose-computers-with-some-tacked-on-touch-functions

The differences generated a lot of discussion, which generated mindshare

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guess I'm picking one of these up now that the Kindle edition of NYTimes is being hiked from $14 to $20. Fuck you, for that price I'm going to get the full color one with video.

It doesn't take effect for me until October, so hopefully they'll have multi-tasking on this thing sorted out by then and there won't be any major issues, or else I'll have to wait for the next version next year...

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CoolTrainer "Are there any Apps that make for good Comic/Manga viewers? "

http://iphonecomicbookreader.com/

I used ths for my iphone, and it was very good. It would be superb in an ipad - and there's a Manga viewer that's meant to be available on launch day that comes with a bunch of comics.

Comics and books are the principle reason I want an ipad - I've got a 30gb backlog of comics I'll never have time to read at home, but an ipad would be perfect for workbreaks and lunches.

Here's a review of another reader - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/02/comixologys-ipad-comics-reader-app-in-pictures/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=ping.fm&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)

Designed for the ipad, so may be a better choice. There's also a Marvel one out, too.

M-Vickers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This may have already been answered, but I'm thinking about picking up an iPad tomorrow morning and I really want to know:

Are there any Apps that make for good Comic/Manga viewers? I would love to use the iPad to catch up on some of my comic reading when I'm out of town, but I seem to remember having problems finding a viewer for my iPod Touch. Has this situation changed?

According to a few reviews I've read, the Marvel app alone will make you want to buy an iPad.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I got up and headed to Best Buy this morning to grab one and got there around 9:15. There was only one guy in the parking lot, so I decided to run to Chick-Fil-A across the street to use the restroom and grab a coke. I get back and there is another guy standing talking the guy who was already there. I got out of my car and asked if they were waiting for the iPads and they said yeah, but that there were only 2 64 gig models left.

Apparently the second guy that got there while I ran to Chick-Fil-A got the last 16gig. D:

Oh well, I didn't really need one anyway. I'll just wait till I can play with one in person and then maybe pick one up later.

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
This discussion has been closed.