As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade: The Series, Episode 12: THE NEW HIRE, Part 2

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should not have read the thread before watching the video Bogey spoiled that shit in like 5 posts.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HOW ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BEING SPOILED?

DO YOU READ THE POSTS OF THE NEW COMIC THREAD BEFORE YOU READ THE COMIC?

DO YOU HAVE AN ATTENTION SPAN SHORTER THAN THAT LOAF I SQUEEZED OUT MY ARSE 4 HOURS AGO?

HELP A MAN OUT HERE.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watching Matt sit in silence in his interview was unbearable and made me want to scream because it's exactly what I would do.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    "Don't shiv her" was my favorite line.
    Oh god. Oh god. Fuck. I watched it twice fully, and saw that part maybe once or more times while skimming, and every time I thought it was "Don't shiver." Like, don't be nervous/too excited that you may get the position.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Khoo is evil.

In a good way.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'm a little disappointed
    Lexxy didn't get the job

but i can't argue with the methodology. because if i do, Khoo will send a sniper team. and i'll never see it coming.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want Robert to respond. I want to hear his khooment.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Filipino man found dead in alley today. Killed from extreme joint lock trauma, witnesses believe he was killed over a bad rendition of 'My Way,' a popular Frank Sinatra song."

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think you are allowed to say that ERIKA GOT THE JOB because we are on page 7.

If you are on this page without having seen the video, you have no right to complain and are a silly goose if you do.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "We're considering not hiring anyone."

Stone cold.

Also, yay, I was right!

Matt's interview was painful, though.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    wbbigdavewbbigdave Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    anyone notice how intense Tycho got at pictionary?? From now on when i feel this intense i shall refer to it as Pictionary intense!

pictionaryintense.jpg

Yeh thats when my video needed to buffer....who would have thunk it!!?!

wbbigdave on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because I didn't want to read discussion about this episode without having seen the episode I actually opened a different thread while the advert played. If it had been a different commercial I probably would have watched it.

So even though the winner was stated by someone early on the first page it wasn't "spoiled" for me.

Seg on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When something is as easily accessible as a 10-minute video clip on the internet (as opposed to say, a movie in theaters or an entire book to be read), I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to take charge of their own spoiler protection.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    "Filipino man found dead in alley today. Killed from extreme joint lock trauma, witnesses believe he was killed over a bad rendition of 'My Way,' a popular Frank Sinatra song."

we take our karaoke seriously.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    HOW ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BEING SPOILED?

DO YOU READ THE POSTS OF THE NEW COMIC THREAD BEFORE YOU READ THE COMIC?

DO YOU HAVE AN ATTENTION SPAN SHORTER THAN THAT LOAF I SQUEEZED OUT MY ARSE 4 HOURS AGO?

HELP A MAN OUT HERE.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the forum precedent suggests people like to read threads titled after something they themselves haven't experienced yet and then complain when parts are spoiled therein.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just watched this now, good stuff!

Lagnar on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah but this thread specifies a SINGLE video and it is the topic of discussion

so if you don't want to read spoilers then watch the video linked in the OP, THEN read the thread

EASY!

in other cases you've mentioned it's usually down to whether or not people have seen the latest episode or season of a show and it's not unreasonable to put things behind spoilers for those who have not yet had the chance to see those latest episodes or seasons

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Khoo knows his drink. That Tropical Citrus stuff is all I consume.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Trying to think up their point of view, the only idea I thought of was that some people are making minute by minute, even second by second commentary, and after posting it pulls them to the last page where spoilers are abundant.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Super video, dudes. There's just a few big questions that weren't answered after this two-parter.

1. What the fuck is the job?

a. Job requirements

b. Typical day

2. Are any of these applicants good at art stuff?

Here's what I did learn, though:

1. They went bowling. Maybe some of them were good at that. Don't know, though. Who won? Who cares?

2. Telling racist jokes is the key to working at Penny Arcade.

3. If you're professional, go fist your rectum (maybe stuff some cardboard in there as well).

I'm sure I'll get banned but naturally, I'm breaking no rule (other than the unwritten rule of "boring fan boy posts only, please"). Some things are more important than internet forum bans, though. Besides, as Jonathan Swift opined, "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him".

A little about my own work experience. I have a professional and interesting job. Objectively, I'm among the best in my field. Personality? Who gives a fuck? Poor human resources people, that's who. The good human resources people are thrilled to have me on the "team" (that condescending term that poor human resource types use).

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Learned, stop trolling.

The mere suggestion that the concept of a "team" as being pure HR jargon is basically proof that you have only come back to try to get a rise out of everyone yet again.

Everyone here already knows you're full of shit. No need to keep reminding us. Thanks!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rule one is don't be a dick. You can disagree with the video, but you're being a silly goose about it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HURF DURF DURF

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Besides, as Jonathan Swift opined...

This should be a bannable offense.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    Besides, as Jonathan Swift opined...

This should be a bannable offense.

i hope Mr. Hand realizes that that was another of Swift's satirical works.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You know I actually had a discussion on recruitment and hiring methods with some friends the other day over LinkedIn. Many of these friends work for Fortune 500s or have worked in recruitment agencies that helped place candidates in large, multinational companies, or are HR people in companies of largely the same scope.

NONE of them think Learned's perspective has any merit beyond initial assessment of candidate skillset.

One of them went so far as to claim that however secure Learned's job may be for now, it is likely that he will stagnate in his current position and see no upward movement, likely because more charismatic and team-oriented people will get promoted before him. One said, and I quote:

"He's probably a good worker on individual-based tasks but that is all he will ever be; he would make a poor teammate, a worse team leader, and a disastrous project manager in just about any industry."

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »

so if you don't want to read spoilers then watch the video linked in the OP, THEN read the thread

EASY!

in other cases you've mentioned it's usually down to whether or not people have seen the latest episode or season of a show and it's not unreasonable to put things behind spoilers for those who have not yet had the chance to see those latest episodes or seasons

Well, it may be confirmation bias since I don't watch TV, but I always got the impression there were more threads for single title movies or video games than TV shows. Supposedly people have been infracted for spoiling intros, and Bogey spoilered his post after complaints, so whether or not it should spoil things in theory has been obviated at this point.

Personally, I don't read much at all about things I'm anticipating where plot spoilers may be an issue and definitely not once they reach wide release.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

EASY!

Well, it may be confirmation bias since I don't watch TV, but I always got the impression there were more threads for single title movies or video games than TV shows. Supposedly people have been infracted for spoiling intros, and Bogey spoilered his post after complaints, so whether or not it should spoil things in theory has been obviated at this point.

Personally, I don't read much at all about things I'm anticipating where plot spoilers may be an issue and definitely not once they reach wide release.

Movies, Video Games, and TV Shows are all harder to access than a video sitting right there in the OP that you can watch without leaving the window. They are all also typically more than 7 minutes long.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I sort of got the feeling the episode would go this way and am a little disappointed but congrats to Erika! :3

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Super video, dudes. There's just a few big questions that weren't answered aft

airhornsman.png

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    TskTsk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It was an interesting watch, though I think the "clinching arguments" were not included in the final video, leaving me unsatisfied and vaguely frustrated.

You know what PATV? I think we need a little time apart. Maybe like, a week.

Tsk on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the best part is that Learned Hand supported his position by claiming that he's actually a genius. I don't think anyone's tried that since I did it in 2006.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I think the best part is that Learned Hand supported his position by claiming that he's actually a genius. I don't think anyone's tried that since I did it in 2006.

didn't you hear him, NAC? Objectively, he's the best in his field!

Objectively.

Check and mate.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure I'll get banned but naturally, I'm breaking no rule (other than the unwritten rule of "boring fan boy posts only, please"). Some things are more important than internet forum bans, though. Besides, as Jonathan Swift opined, "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him".

If you get banned, it will be for trolling, not for disloyalty. You've repeated the same point over and over without addressing any points of rebuttal. It speaks to unwillingness to have a proper discussion with other individuals. Were you not assuming martyrdom, a reasonable conversation might be had over whether the show does an adequate job conveying certain information related to your points. Your points have all been specifically addressed in some capacity through the forums, the news posts, and even the tenor of the actual comic. There are different degrees to which a consumer of the video can be assumed to have familiarity with each of those. But your unwillingness to further engage your position on the objectivity of professionalism proves this isn't a conversation. A forum serves no other purpose than conversation.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A forum serves no other purpose than conversation.

that, and questioning one's sexuality.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »

didn't you hear him, NAC? Objectively, he's the best in his field!

Objectively.

Check and mate.

The sciency part of my brain, you know, the part that hates me...it wants to know what metric he is basing that evaluation on.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    damn Annie that's one hell of a roundabout way of telling someone that it's just not for you

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Were you not assuming martyrdom

Could this preemptive victim mentality be considered a form of poisoning the well?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Movies, Video Games, and TV Shows are all harder to access than a video sitting right there in the OP that you can watch without leaving the window. They are all also typically more than 7 minutes long.

I only see a link in the OP. If it's supposed to embed, it ain't doin' it for me. And if whoever it was actually got jailed on spoiling an intro, then that would seem to set precedent on a 7 minute video.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Super video, dudes. There's just a few big questions that weren't answered after this two-parter.

1. What the fuck is the job?

a. Job requirements

b. Typical day

2. Are any of these applicants good at art stuff?

1. Associate Designer. It was like the first thing they said

a. They posted them here on the forums and on the public site proper when they did a call for applicants.

b. i'm pretty sure that was a typical day.

2. of course they are, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Again tycho addresses this question exactly in the second video.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!