As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fruit for Dogs?

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My pup loves him some apples, and he's very curious about other fruits. I hear grapes and raisins are bad for dogs, but I've seen treats with apple and banana in them, so I assume those are okay.

Is it okay to give him fruit, and if so, what else can I give him?
4108578561_0bfe66d0ae_b.jpg

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My dogs have eaten banana, apple, strawberry, and blueberry. My dog's current food has sweet potato (yam) and acai berry in it, (stupid wtftrendz). I also sometimes give hiim mini-marshmellows for a treat but they make him fart more than usual.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have never heard of fruit being bad for a dog. My parent's eat a ton of fruit and their dog gets plenty of it and seems to be fine. Might be something to ask the vet next time you go in for shots or somethings. I know plenty of plants are poisonous for dogs.

travathian on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Found this:

Don't feed your dog the following:
    Alcoholic beverages
    Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food
    Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources
    Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food
    Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
    Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts
    Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings
    Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins
    Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Hops
    Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron
    Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver
    Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts
    Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana
    Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products
    Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage
    Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms
    Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)
    Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons
    Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums
    Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems
    Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs
    Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish
    Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt
    If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String
    Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods
    Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)
    Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco
    Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough
    Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Xylitol (artificial sweetener)
    Can cause liver failure.

Enc on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Beat you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ok I am not advocating this, but I have seen dogs handle marijuana, both orally ingested and through smoke blown in their face. The dogs that like it haven't been adversely affected and definitely never puked.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to want to kill a dog to give it enough alcohol for it to die as well...

Anyway, to actually contribute, I only ever give dogs Royal Canin in the formulation that's appropriate for the breed and age. That cereal is designed to cover all nutritional needs, although growing puppies still benefit from stuff like milk, sardines and raw eggs.

I think it's a good idea to just not feed it human food to begin with. You deal with a lot less begging that way, and some breeds are already susceptible to obesity. Train and treat it with multiple different kinds of dog biscuits. Filling a hollowed out Kong toy with peanut butter is also a perfect treat, since it's entertainment+deliciousness.

Sam on
  • Options
    AethosAethos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, teach your dog to take little bites of apples and things like it, with his front teeth. Why? Because watching a dog eat an apple, or corn on the cob like a person is adorable.

Hell, half the time that I eat apples is just so I can watch him nibbling on the flesh around the core, trying not to bite it in half.

Aethos on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My dog loved baby carrots and we never had an issue. They were treated like a special treat, though, so she didn't get them daily or anything like that. But when in doubt ask the vet. A quick call could take care of this.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aethos wrote: »
    Also, teach your dog to take little bites of apples and things like it, with his front teeth. Why? Because watching a dog eat an apple, or corn on the cob like a person is adorable.

Hell, half the time that I eat apples is just so I can watch him nibbling on the flesh around the core, trying not to bite it in half.

Thats exactly what I do! I'll slice or bite off chunks and give them to him, but when I am done, he gets to nibble on the core.

Thanks for the tips, all. I think we will try banana next. I might be reluctant to give him citrus, but blueberries and strawberries seem like they would be interesting for him.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    try veggies too... my dog absolutely loves lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, etc. in fact, my dog would choose a fresh lettuce leaf to some meat probably :lol:

illig on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'd have to want to kill a dog to give it enough alcohol for it to die as well...

You're probably right for alcohol in general, but beer specifically will kill a dog. Hops are very toxic to dogs, even in small amounts, and good luck finding a beer without hops.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thats exactly what I do! I'll slice or bite off chunks and give them to him, but when I am done, he gets to nibble on the core.

You want to avoid giving him apple cores, as the seeds contain small amounts of cyanide.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enc wrote: »
    String

Well damn, I try to feed my dog at least 1 ball of string every day. I thought it was good for him

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enc wrote: »
    String

Well damn, I try to feed my dog at least 1 ball of string every day. I thought it was good for him

I'd made a post in SE once about my dog eating the eye off a teddy bear and I had to pull it out by the string. It's one thing to pull out a string, but when you find an eye staring back at you it turns straight into a fucking horror movie, believe me.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We have 3 dogs, and they will KILL YOU for carrots. They love those things.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The list above is pretty complete. The only thing I would change about it is that only cooked bones are an issue. Raw bones of a size that your dog has to gnaw on them are just peachy.

If you don't feed your dog people food from the table you won't have an issue with begging. Also, if you look at the ingredients and nutrition facts for a lot of dog biscuits, it is much healthier to train with fruits and veggies. Even small (I mean pea-sized) bits of cheese and lean meat like roasted chicken are healthier than the average dog treat. My dog's absolute favorite treat ever is the tops off of strawberries.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »

You're probably right for alcohol in general, but beer specifically will kill a dog. Hops are very toxic to dogs, even in small amounts, and good luck finding a beer without hops.

"Will kill" are pretty strong words. My dad has let every dog we've ever owned drink beer and none of them have ever gotten sick from it and they have all lived long full lives.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My dog loves grapes... I hope they're not as bad as all that.

Iriah on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Iriah wrote: »
    My dog loves grapes... I hope they're not as bad as all that.

Raisins are a bigger problem. There seems to be a dose dependent toxicity that affects all dogs. Some dogs also have bad reactions (kidney failure) from a small number of grape, but that isn't all dogs.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is that from breed or random genetics? My dog is a golden retriever.

Iriah on