As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some reading! + Bonus question

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'll be going on a trip to some places that are reasonably far away and require a good amount of materials to read, as I will have loads and loads of travel/downtime. So I was hoping, if I listed some of the things I've read and have liked, some folks with similar interests might have some ideas for things I should pick up. Without further ado, some examples of things I have read:
Most things by David Eddings
Most things by Terry Brooks
The Lord of the Rings + Hobbit
Harry Potter series
World War Z
Ender's Game (Just the first one)
A Wizard of Earthsea (see above)
Earth Abides

Hopefully that's enough? There's a general sci-fi/fantasy theme going on. I tend to avoid things with downer endings, but it's not a hard and fast rule. I just don't like to depress myself on purpose.

BONUS QUESTION: This hardly seemed like it deserved its own thread, so its riding in this thread.

What do I need to be able to charge my Nintendo DS in Europe (I am from the States).

Much obliged in advance.

silence1186 on

• Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you liked WWZ, I'd recommend Day By Day Armageddon

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a huge fan of Larry Niven, I just finished reading "The Mote in God's Eye", and I highly recommend it. It's about mankind's first encounter with aliens, and the cross study that goes on between the two. That and "The Legacy of Heorot" was a fantastic read

blakfeld on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    blakfeld wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Larry Niven, I just finished reading "The Mote in God's Eye", and I highly recommend it. It's about mankind's first encounter with aliens, and the cross study that goes on between the two. That and "The Legacy of Heorot" was a fantastic read

I am reasonably amazed you recommended The Mote in God's Eye. I bought that book for a class I took in high school, but the teacher had to cut it because it was so long and he wanted to read a few more books. I'm glad I kept it all these years.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DARK TOWER DARK TOWER DARK TOWER!
    DARK TOWER!

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OMG one more opportunity to recommend Neal Stephenson's newest: Anathem !!!

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    Neb54Neb54 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Name of the Wind

Got it on my nook a couple days ago and I can't put it down.

Neb54 on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I am reasonably amazed you recommended The Mote in God's Eye. I bought that book for a class I took in high school, but the teacher had to cut it because it was so long and he wanted to read a few more books. I'm glad I kept it all these years.

It was so good, I just picked it up second hand on a whim,that and Speaker for the Dead were pleasant surprises.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Read any Kurt Vonnegut yet? Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle are good. I haven't read Sirens of Titan yet, but I heard that's good too.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Dresden Files.

Imagine Harry Potter, only grown up, a private detective, less whiny, and he fights vampires and evil faeries and necromancers, and gets punched a lot.

Pretty light reading, almost a dozen books available.

Note that book 2 is widely considered to be the worst book in the series, but is still readable.

Things become much more badass from 3 onward.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hlubocky wrote: »
    OMG one more opportunity to recommend Neal Stephenson's newest: Anathem !!!

So you skipped over the list of things he liked in the OP, eh?

I'll second Dresden Files and The Name of the Wind. Also for fantasy I'll kick in a vote for the Malazan series by Steven Erikson.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like you'd probably like Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books all take place in the same fantasy universe. Some of his books are part of a series and others are standalone. I'd recommend starting with Small Gods or maybe Guards! Guards!

Quid on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd probably like Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books all take place in the same fantasy universe. Some of his books are part of a series and others are standalone. I'd recommend starting with Small Gods or maybe Guards! Guards!

I've been meaning to start that series too. Is there a reason you didn't suggest Color of Magic? Like, should I not read that one first?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What do I need to be able to charge my Nintendo DS in Europe (I am from the States).

A power supply converter. They generally sell them in the airport.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jdatecover.jpg

Just fucking do it.

It will not be a mistake.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Color of Magic is pretty weak when compared to his other work.

Small Gods is a favorite of many people and is stand alone.

Basically you have books that are based on several different "casts" as the main character/s.

The City Watch. (Start with Guards Guards)

Death

The Witches

Rincewind and Wizards

Of the groups, the City Watch stuff tends to be the most highly regarded. I imagine there's a wiki somewhere that breaks down all the novels by these lines.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

I've been meaning to start that series too. Is there a reason you didn't suggest Color of Magic? Like, should I not read that one first?

Pratchett has, overall, gotten progressively better with his books. And while Color of Magic is the start, it's far from the quality one should expect and doesn't give the best introduction ever to the universe, since, well, he was still figuring most of it out. By the time Small Gods was written he had a pretty good grasp on his style. I personally don't think Guards! Guards! is as good, but it's the start of one of the series set in the universe and leads to much better books.

Though starting with The Color of Magic isn't necessarily a bad choice. I went by publishing date after I first read Small Gods by chance and found the early works enjoyable enough, just not near as good.

Quid on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    as always in fantasy rec threads I am going to scream and rave about Raymond Feist.

I convinced my boyfriend (a non reader at the time, had never read a book for pleasure prior to this) to read one of his books, and he took of from there, and has read at least 15 of the novels in Feist's universe. Start with Magician: Apprentice

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Douglas Adams.
    I hear the His Dark Materials series is good harry-potter-demographic-ish fare.
    Neil Gaiman.
    Douglas Adams.

virgilsamms on
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Basically you have books that are based on several different "casts" as the main character/s.

Death

The Witches

Rincewind and Wizards

Of the groups, the City Watch stuff tends to be the most highly regarded. I imagine there's a wiki somewhere that breaks down all the novels by these lines.

3530469946_27540d10ee_o.jpg

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It was so good, I just picked it up second hand on a whim,that and Speaker for the Dead were pleasant surprises.

The sequel (to A Mote in God's Eye), The Gripping Hand, is also fantastic. (hell, the sequel to Legacy is also great, Beowulf's Children) If you like that Id highly reccommend his solo stuff (as mote and gripping are both co-authored with Jerry Pournelle). Niven has his own universe set up with his own races and everything. Ringworld is pretty great and one of the first ones from his stuff that I read, didnt scare me away, heh. Its about one of the races recruiting a couple humans to go scout out this strange space station.

If you try that and dont care for it, perhaps go for another Niven-Pournelle like Lucifer's Hammer, "The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a thousand times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves thousands of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned into steam. It was the beginning of a new Ice Age and the end of civilization. But for the terrified men and women chance had saved, it was also the dawn of a new struggle for survival--a struggle more dangerous and challenging than any they had ever known...."

Now, I do tend more towards Hard Sci-Fi, science fiction thats heavily based in science so there is some technical stuff in those, but not a ton or anything. They just explain some stuff.

Anyway, this is a long enough post, those are my suggestions, good reading!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hitchhiker's Guide
    Anything Terry Pratchett, but particularly the Guards books.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Right now I'm working through Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, which is a series with 12 books out so far, and two more or so before it's done. It's fantasy, focusing on the story of a boy who is supposed to be the Dragon Reborn, a man who can cast magic in a world where all men who have magic powers go insane, and is foretold to be the hero against the Dark One in The Last Battle, which will decide the fate of the world.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Belruel wrote: »
    as always in fantasy rec threads I am going to scream and rave about Raymond Feist.

I convinced my boyfriend (a non reader at the time, had never read a book for pleasure prior to this) to read one of his books, and he took of from there, and has read at least 15 of the novels in Feist's universe. Start with Magician: Apprentice

I recommend this again and again and again. Even if you don't read the latest series, the first four book series is my favorite book series of all time.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DARK TOWER DARK TOWER DARK TOWER!
    DARK TOWER!

This. A thousand times this. Same goes for the rest of Stephen King's library, much of which is tied into the Dark Tower series.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

BONUS QUESTION: This hardly seemed like it deserved its own thread, so its riding in this thread.

Much obliged in advance.

You'll need a transformer.

Not these one.

but these one

As for reading... you should enjoy the scenery and the culture of the lands instead of sticking your nose in the book. It seems your taste are pretty close to mine; we both like fantasy & light sci-fi. I wouldn't recommend terry brooks because he's a J R R Tolkien wannabe. Someone recommended Terry Pratchett already (excellent job Forkes). I'll recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and also recommend The Saga of Recluse . ASOIAF is actually about England's hundred year war, and TSoR is actually about European vs Britain history.

I'll also recommend dune.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/13/

American God - Neil Gaiman

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.

Stranger in A strange land (uncut version) - Robert A. Heinlein

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

What you should really bring is tourist books about europe, and also a translator.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    VitharrVitharr Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Anything by C S Friedman.

Vitharr on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll recommend Peter Watts. His entire catalogue is available on his site here.
    He writes hard (fact-based) Science Fiction with a dark bent.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forkes wrote: »

Death

The Witches

Rincewind and Wizards

Holy crap that's useful. Thanks!

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Forkes wrote: »

Death

The Witches

Rincewind and Wizards

Holy crap that's useful. Thanks!

Note there have been two books released since that was made. Making Money directly follows Going Postal and Unseen Academicals relates to almost every book that takes place in Ankh-Morpork.

Z0re on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you look like you like a decent heroic fantasy novel, so I'd recommend some of the novels by David Gemmell...The Swords of Night and Day and White Wolf, possibly Legend, too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You already like Ender's Game, so why not finish out the series?

Ender in Exile
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant

Good stuff, all of them. I've read the series many, many times.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A Game of Thrones, George RR Martin. First in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
    Dune, Frank Herbert.

I cannot recommend these 2 enough. Seriously. A Song of Ice and Fire is even being made into an HBO series.

Calebros on