Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Justified] Season 5 - Counting Crowes.

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
edited April 11 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey guys, remember that time Raylan totally shot that one guy? That was awesome.

Raylan Givens. The man. The myth. The hat.

And seriously, fuck above ground pools.

So, two seasons down and this keeps getting better. Looking forward to the third season. You should watch this, if you haven't. Before reading this thread, which is full of dirty, dirty spoilers.

Okay, seriously, three seasons in and this show is amazing. It's only like a dozen episodes per season, if you haven't watched it yet you should. Timothy Olyphant is amazing, Walton Goggins is equally amazing, most of the guest stars and regulars are amazing, just...yeah. You like lone lawmen in cowboy hats cleaning up this here town? You'll like this show.

I still remember thinking "that show looks cheesy and terrible, but it's got that one guy and the other guy from The Shield so I'll give it a shot." Remember that? Well, welcome to one of the best shows on television. Now that Breaking Bad is off I might be willing to call it the best show on television, or at least in the "hour long drama" category (hard to directly compare against comedies), let me think about it.

Raylan Givens plays a U.S. Marshal kicking ass and taking names in Kentucky. Sent back "home" from Miami for being too fucking awesome, he finds himself falling in with old friends, old family, and old problems. If you haven't watched this show, stop reading this and go marathon the fuck out of it. In loving memory of Elmore Leonard.

I may flesh this OP out later, if I'm not lazy. But probably not. I never realized what I was getting into when I posted this like eight years ago.

And this thread will forever be full of dirty, dirty spoilers.

In closing...

Justified_-_Justin_Timberlake.png

mcdermott on

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm really interested in checking this out just to see how they show Kentucky.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched the premiere, I have to say I thought it was kind of boring but good enough to watch again. The acting talent is definitely there so the writing will make or break the show.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Watched the premiere, I have to say I thought it was kind of boring but good enough to watch again. The acting talent is definitely there so the writing will make or break the show.

I can dig boring but good. I wound up having to DVR it, I'll give it a watch tomorrow night.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tofu your existence has upset me because now I'm reminded that venture bros is not on.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    re the preview in the OP: what the hell kinda selfrespecting hill-billy forgets to rack his shotgun

my guess is that mullet is fake, he's actually an investment banker from chicago

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found it a pretty entertaining hour of television. Olyphant does a really good job as a Kentucky Marshall. Not surprising. I've heard that it's been compared to a modern Deadwood. I wouldn't go that crazy, but it was still pretty good.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched it, thought it was decent. Definitely going to keep watching. It has a modern-day western kinda feel.

cheeseliker.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked it. I'll watch another episode so long as it has that old timer sheriff.

easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I enjoyed the old man. To me it didn't feel that much like Kentucky. I mean I saw some similarities and I saw some differences. It doesn't really break the show though.

It's funny I was just explaining to someone the other day that there are white supremacists in Kentucky and they refused to believe people like that lived in my state, then this show comes on. So someone else seems to believe they exist except from me.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've gone up to Kentucky to watch my Florida Gators play there. It didn't seem nearly as bad as the areas surrounding Gainesville. I quite liked Lexington. I'm guessing it gets worse and worse the closer you get to West Virginia?

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    It's funny I was just explaining to someone the other day that there are white supremacists in Kentucky and they refused to believe people like that lived in my state, then this show comes on. So someone else seems to believe they exist except from me.

But... there's white supremacists everywhere... Why would this person think Kentucky magically doesn't have racists?

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited March 2010
    It gets worse and worse after you start leaving the 4 lane highways. You start getting on 2 lane gravel roads. That's some pretty rural stuff

edited March 2010

But... there's white supremacists everywhere... Why would this person think Kentucky magically doesn't have racists?

I don't know. I just explained the type of people I've met. I think maybe he felt they weren't a very open and public group. Whereas I beg to differ.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't know. I just explained the type of people I've met. I think maybe he felt they weren't a very open and public group. Whereas I beg to differ.

The rock your friend lives under must be very comfortable.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Tighter than R. Kelly in his teens. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone know if you can watch this online?

Also, needs more Ian McShane.

They're gonna bury you, they're gonna finish. They're gonna stand 'em up six by six by six.
    edited March 2010
    If this is sticking to FX and Hulu's current relationship there will be about 3 episodes out before they put the first one on there. Could get lucky though.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Tighter than R. Kelly in his teens. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, right! Hulu. How quickly I forget things. Will have to keep an eye on that then, thanks.

They're gonna bury you, they're gonna finish. They're gonna stand 'em up six by six by six.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched the first episode, seems kinda meh to me. I love me some Walt Goggins, though.

One thing that struck me is that this would almost certainly be a better or at least a more interesting show if Olyphant and Goggins had swapped roles.

• DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't get to watch this. I'm interested to see how they portray my state, though. My girlfriend grew up not too far from Harlan County.

Hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as the old Daniel Boone TV show, where there were always snow-capped mountains in the background.
    devCharles wrote: »
    I've gone up to Kentucky to watch my Florida Gators play there. It didn't seem nearly as bad as the areas surrounding Gainesville. I quite liked Lexington. I'm guessing it gets worse and worse the closer you get to West Virginia?

Eastern Kentucky gets a bad rap IMO. Some places have serious problems with poverty and drugs, but that's all over the state (and a lot of other states too). There are places you wouldn't want to go without knowing your way around, just like any city that isn't in the burbs, but most places are alright. It's also very beautiful, especially in the spring and early summer. Lots of good places for hiking and climbing.

Lexington is a great place, but really bougeois. It's basically the apotheosis of college towns.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't intend on watching it, but noticed it was on just as it started and figured why not. Not sold on it but interested enough to catch at least one more episode.

camo_sig2.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Liked it, but... it felt lacking somehow. Definitely give it a few more episodes though.

2ezikn6.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander It's like Christmas But with more ... ME!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it seemed off in the way most pilots seem off

or something

1JM7Sqi.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    it seemed off in the way most pilots seem off

or something

Well, yeah, something was very off. The chick was putting white gravy on fried chicken when everyone knows white gravy goes on chicken-fried steak.

easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    still

goddamn woman, you only shoot people when they're eatin supper?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • AtomikaAtomika Hypercritical Queen Bitch of Cinema Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I seem predisposed to not liking Olyphant, so the fact that this episode makes me want to watch more of this show is a strong sign.

Still, I'll probably drop it if they don't keep the arcs nice and tight. There's nothing on TV I hate more than a show that doesn't go anywhere.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fun show. With a bit tighter writing it could be pretty good. I'll have to see how this develops.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.
  • Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've seen some of the previews for this, but haven't had a chance to watch the pilot yet... Seems kind of like Walking Tall but in Kentucky instead of Tennessee...is that at all accurate? Looks like there's mixed feelings on it so far.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    still

goddamn woman, you only shoot people when they're eatin supper?

Love love love Goggins.

And yeah, it seemed a little "off" (the pacing, maybe?) but that's expected with a pilot. We'll see what kind of arc develops, but I think it already shows promise.

• amateurhouramateurhour Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed it, and the trailers for upcoming episodes made me very happy because it's obvious that it's not just going to be "oh I'm still alive and the show is gonna be about us fighting each other when in reality it shouldn't be about that" and it's actually going to have separate story driven episodes.

Also, I love the acting talent of Timothy Olymphant, but does anyone else feel like that guy is probably a HUGE dick in person?

Here's what I do...
    The Vac - My Science Fiction Epic
    Fortune Pancakes - My Gag-A-Day Comic
  • DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally got around to seeing this, thought it was mostly OK, but will watch it again tomorrow (provided there is no basketball conflict).

The efforts at portraying the local color were a little hit-and-miss. Some of the opening shots of "Harlan County" really did look like a small KY town, as did a couple of the building interiors. However, the accents definitely seemed off, and some of the slang was wrong (the blonde girl says "yams" instead of "sweet potatos" early on, and someone later says "dining room" instead of "kitchen"). I was also perplexed by what seemed to be a big river-spanning bridge by the black church in Lexington, which is miles from any body of water. I'm sure this isn't a big deal for most people but as a local it kind of took away from the atmosphere and overall world-building.

Also, I couldn't figure out what was going on with the blonde chick in general. Was she supposed to be on drugs or something?

The story dragged a little bit until the last fifteen-twenty minutes, when it got considerably better. Goggins made a genuinely threatening, interesting and potentially complex antagonist, although I thought the other characters (including the hero) were kinda bland. Hopefully they'll get fleshed out more as time goes on.

It was pretty decent for a pilot, all things considered, although it'll need to build up a bit more for me to keep watching.

edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed it, and the trailers for upcoming episodes made me very happy because it's obvious that it's not just going to be "oh I'm still alive and the show is gonna be about us fighting each other when in reality it shouldn't be about that" and it's actually going to have separate story driven episodes.

Also, I love the acting talent of Timothy Olymphant, but does anyone else feel like that guy is probably a HUGE dick in person?

I politely disagree entirely.

When you get into long stretches of "adventure of the week" type storytelling, the first thing to get tossed out the window is character development. Look at horrible shows like CSI or Law & Order; they've had the same casts for years, yet you don't know any more about any character or their relationships with other characters ten years in than you did in the pilot. There's is literally nothing of interest in that kind of storytelling.

Then take a show that has tight, concise arcs like BSG or The Wire with relatively short runs (73 episodes and 60 episodes, respectively) and they feel sprawling and expansive and important because every episode builds from the last.

• amateurhouramateurhour Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

When you get into long stretches of "adventure of the week" type storytelling, the first thing to get tossed out the window is character development. Look at horrible shows like CSI or Law & Order; they've had the same casts for years, yet you don't know any more about any character or their relationships with other characters ten years in than you did in the pilot. There's is literally nothing of interest in that kind of storytelling.

Then take a show that has tight, concise arcs like BSG or The Wire with relatively short runs (73 episodes and 60 episodes, respectively) and they feel sprawling and expansive and important because every episode builds from the last.

I guess it's just because it's Cletus Van Damme, but I remember the shield, and rescue me both being just completely awesome the first two or three seasons and then running out of steam with the long, continuous storyline.

Obviously it's worked in other cases, like the Wire and Generation Kill, but that might just be a cable vs premium cable difference... dunno.

Here's what I do...
    The Vac - My Science Fiction Epic
    Fortune Pancakes - My Gag-A-Day Comic
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Or you could look at great shows like Homicide and NYPD Blue. Both episodic, yet had pretty great character arcs. It's only as interesting as the writers behind it can make it, and that goes for episodic or serialized.

• BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The great thing about Homicide was that whiteboard that kept track of cases open and solved. Weeks after Pembleton was stumped on a case something would come up in, say, Crosetti's investigation and they'd wipe the name off and mark it solved. Whoever was in charge of continuity on that show did a good job.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    The great thing about Homicide was that whiteboard that kept track of cases open and solved. Weeks after Pembleton was stumped on a case something would come up in, say, Crosetti's investigation and they'd wipe the name off and mark it solved. Whoever was in charge of continuity on that show did a good job.

The poor bastard who had to re-draw that whiteboard for each episode died of lung cancer last November. They had a picture of him in the Emmy montage.

Also, Justified was pretty good. I was hoping for a little more bad-assery like we saw in the opening, but worth a watch.

Excision wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going down tonight!

Steam:MichaelLC
  • JoolanderJoolander It's like Christmas But with more ... ME!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that sniper Marshall? i think he's the guy from Europtrip

1JM7Sqi.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Haven't checked out the latest episode yet. Probably watch it tomorrow.

Just wanted to say that if anybody has ideas for thread titles, feel free to PM me. Don't be upset if I don't bother to change it, though. I'll probably not change it until after I watch this episode, or maybe the next.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So far I'm really liking this show, he's pulling off being a believable rouge-ish lawman without falling into the trap of being a self-righteous douche also. Fine line to walk but he's towing it (I believe).

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also enjoy it, though Olyphant is charasmatic enough that he could carry a bad plot, which in two eps they haven't had to rely on.

And there are plenty of episodic shows with character development. Like Supernatural and Castle (castle is way more episodic but supernatural started off as monster/urban legend of the week).

edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    And there are plenty of episodic shows with character development. Like Supernatural and Castle (castle is way more episodic but supernatural started off as monster/urban legend of the week).

True, some shows really toe the line of character study/episodic, probably none so more than X-Files. What I personally don't go in for is wholesale dropping of MythArcs to devote a week or three to tangential, unrelated stories that bear no importance to the impetus of the overall show (see also: X-Files, again).

But you bring up Supernatural, and while I do like the show, by the end of next season they'll be close to 120 episodes, which is just about twice what shows like The Wire had to tell a story.

From a quality-assurance and academic standpoint, a shorter lifespan tends to bode well for a show's cohesiveness. Producers only really ever have a handful of ideas for a show, and very few shows even get into Season 3 or 4 without starting to buckle under their weight. God forbid a show runs several seasons past its prime, continuing well past the obvious conclusion, stretching things out needlessly and embarrassingly, only bring about an eventual and unsatisfying conclusion (see thrice: X-Files).

We shouldn't encourage the prolongation of a show just because we really like the characters. It's not fair the the craft, and never turns out well for the cast, crew, or people watching at home.