As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joelle Carter's accent sounds like an amalgamation of West Tennessee and Georgia. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just wrong enough to be slightly irritating.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Goggins also seems to have spent a bit of time with an accent coach between this episode and the last one. You can't expect them to get everything right, but it's pretty cool when you can tell that they were making an effort.

Goggins grew up in the South. I don't think he has to fake an accent.

Might as well get some use out of my anth degree...

Appalachian accents (especially in the part of Kentucky where the show is set) are a lot different than Southern accents. For instance, I believe the standard Southern accent is non-rhotic while Appalachian accents are strongly rhotic (varying on the individual, of course). The wikipedia article on it is pretty cool if you're interested in stuff like folk studies/linguistic transmission/whatever.

Also, it's not just the accent but also the cadence, speaking mannerisms and stuff like that. Walton Goggins has it down better than Timothy Olyphant and definitely much better than Joelle Carter, who has a very breathy, drawn-out accent I've never heard on anybody within 500 miles of where I grew up. Maybe subconsciously that's why I haven't taken to her character very much?

Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of things, of course. I think this has the potential to be a cool show regardless of any of this, and if it's good or bad it's going to be because of how well the characters are developed, not the way they talk. But when they get things right (and like I said, occasionally they do) it makes the show a little more fun to watch, for me anyway.

Yeah, this does bother me about Hollywood a bit.

Anybody from Appalachia, the Ozarks, the Coastal South, the Deep South, the Old South, the Southern Plains, Texas, or the Southwest just about always gets the same mish-mash accent, when they're all extremely different.

But this happens with British film just as much. Obviously Irish or Scottish people get cast as Londoners all the time.

Atomika on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nick Searcy is spot on perfect for an Appalachian mountain boy since he's from the Great Smokies of NC and his family owned a restaurant in Sylva for a long time.

Anyways, there's still more than one Appalachian accent as each state in the Appalachian's insert their own little take on it, and Kentucky's is always more hick than it ever should be, damn near as bad as southern West Virginia

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hope that the episodes in California don't mean the show is actually changing its venue. But even then I hate it when shows are set in various places but it's obvious that's not where it is. You can always tell. Is it really so hard to film somewhere within 1000 miles of where your show is supposed to be taking place?

Liked the second episode significantly better than the first. It was a bit more lighthearted and I think the setting lends itself to a little humor as long as they don't go overboard with it. I also think it's interesting how the cops in this show seem to avoid killing people unless they absolutely have to, despite the modern-Western feel. It makes the protagonists a little more likable.

I'm still not crazy about the love interest, though, but maybe she'll get developed more later. Right now she just seems kind of out of place.

Loving this show so far. And yeah, I'm loving the "badass who will give you a chance...but then will absolutely kill you without a second thought" vibe that's just not as common as it should be in such shows.

Also loved the story tonight.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I hope that the episodes in California don't mean the show is actually changing its venue. But even then I hate it when shows are set in various places but it's obvious that's not where it is. You can always tell. Is it really so hard to film somewhere within 1000 miles of where your show is supposed to be taking place?

Liked the second episode significantly better than the first. It was a bit more lighthearted and I think the setting lends itself to a little humor as long as they don't go overboard with it. I also think it's interesting how the cops in this show seem to avoid killing people unless they absolutely have to, despite the modern-Western feel. It makes the protagonists a little more likable.

I'm still not crazy about the love interest, though, but maybe she'll get developed more later. Right now she just seems kind of out of place.

Loving this show so far. And yeah, I'm loving the "badass who will give you a chance...but then will absolutely kill you without a second thought" vibe that's just not as common as it should be in such shows.

Also loved the story tonight.

Yeah, I'm hoping they stick with this approach. Raylan seems a tad flat now but he could potentially be a great character with a little work.

We know that he's got a problem with trying to solve problems with a bullet, but on the other hand there's some history with his criminal dad and he apparently left home and joined law enforcement to distance himself from that lifestyle (and, presumably, to be a better person than his old man was).

I think they're withholding the father character to set up something a bit bigger in scope than what we've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Duffel on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joelle Carter's accent sounds like an amalgamation of West Tennessee and Georgia. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just wrong enough to be slightly irritating.

Everything else about her is so right...

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, her teeth are way too good to believably be that poor.

But I mean yes I would hit it nine times, which I believe was the thrust of your argument.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Freebird!

Clevinger on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So this episode was pretty awesome

Joolander on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

I like how the schemes aren't very grand, I mean this week it was a couple scrubs trying to knock over a bookie. You can really see the elmore leonard influence.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm happy it's small-time stuff, makes it feel more real. Kinda hoping they ramp it up a tad next week though, a little more tense action would not go amiss with me. After watching next week's preview, it looks like it will not disappoint.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I like how the schemes aren't very grand, I mean this week it was a couple scrubs trying to knock over a bookie. You can really see the elmore leonard influence.

I think this episode's story was pulled from a novel.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »

I think this episode's story was pulled from a novel.

Seems likely, I just liked how Raylen knew something was up, but we as the audience didn't exactly how much, or why he knew something was going on.

Like the first draw down was a great way of showing humor in malice.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interesting how Raylen gets the shit assignment that no one else in the office took seriously, and in the manner of two days,
    two people were shot dead.

At this rate, it'll be a ghost town by the end of Season 2.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you bite somebody every week......

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It would be really great if FX put this up on the internet so I could watch it. But apparently they don't believe in the internets.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err...

It's just a month behind. That is rather excessive though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Err...

Yeah there's no episodes on there and a month is ridiculous.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Err...

Yeah there's no episodes on there and a month is justified.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    It would be really great if FX put this up on the internet so I could watch it. But apparently they don't believe in the internets.

Yea no kidding. They sure do make it hard as hell to watch if you miss it and don't DVR it.

Also: Love this show, just got done watching episodes 2 and 3.

Was kinda surprised in Episode 3 when
    Raylen went and slept with... whats her name, the blonde from the first episode. I had gotten the feeling he wasn't into her, but I guess I was wrong.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Interesting how Raylen gets the shit assignment that no one else in the office took seriously, and in the manner of two days,
    two people were shot dead.

At this rate, it'll be a ghost town by the end of Season 2.

Naw, plenty of people in town for him to kill. Plus, as we've seen, half the people are from out of town anyway...fresh meat arriving daily.

I'll agree, though, I enjoy how petty most of the schemes on this show are. Gives it a certain sense of authenticity...like, the "blow shit up then rob a bank during the confusion" plan from the first episode is about as grand as it gets. These guys aren't exactly Hans Gruber.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After watching all 3 episodes I'm still not impressed. The show just isn't that interesting, especially compared to FX's or AMC's other dramas.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jeez. Has this show had any episode were people don't die? If I ever meet a Marshal I'm heading in the opposite direction as quickly as I can.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man I've missed this show two weeks in a row. This sucks.

Also, I don't think anyone died in the second episode, did they?

Duffel on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jeez. Has this show had any episode were people don't die? If I ever meet a Marshal I'm heading in the opposite direction as quickly as I can.

Well Raylan didn't shoot anyone in the second episode. Cooper Harris took care of the baddy.

It's strange. He's a badass ex-ranger sniper with the Marshals in Justified, and a badass marine in The Pacific, but I keep waiting for him to shrug and say "this isn't where I parked my car."

fshavlak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    omg omg

Garrus was in this one
    being a jackass

like a boss

Joolander on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have to say that it's really weird hearing my wife say, "This show is AWESOME!" when she didn't even like The Shield. Not saying they're the same show, but FX does "dark and gritty" very well and considering what my wife watches on a regular basis, I wouldn't have put Justified in the front running for one of her favorite shows.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    omg omg

Garrus was in this one
    being a jackass

like a boss

Holy shit, how did you know that the dude at the beginning was him? I had to go searching to find that.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That episode's ending was unexpected. I like endings that don't end in cliche.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »
    omg omg

Garrus was in this one
    being a jackass

like a boss

Holy shit, how did you know that the dude at the beginning was him? I had to go searching to find that.

The voice

"where have I heard that voice bef-- HOLY SHIT!"

also, the guys in the D&D mass effect thread posting that bud light "magic fridge" commercial with him in there

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I missed an episode of Justifed that had Garrus in it?

Awesome. Just awesome.

What kind of character was he? If he was a vigilante cop that'd be hilarious.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have to say that it's really weird hearing my wife say, "This show is AWESOME!" when she didn't even like The Shield. Not saying they're the same show, but FX does "dark and gritty" very well and considering what my wife watches on a regular basis, I wouldn't have put Justified in the front running for one of her favorite shows.

Justified isn't very gritty. I mean I love the tone the show takes, but its more modern western (I think the name before he even was something like Urban Cowboy). Though it hasn't pulled many punches, the most recent ep included.

I felt sorry for the dentist. I mean he did some horrible things, but he was just trying to live his dream and made the ultimate sacrifice so that the woman could live and he could be kind of at peace. Bittersweet.

Raylen continues to be fucking stone cold though, no shooting guns out of peoples hands for this guy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Justified isn't very gritty. I mean I love the tone the show takes, but its more modern western (I think the name before he even was something like Urban Cowboy). Though it hasn't pulled many punches, the most recent ep included.

I felt sorry for the dentist. I mean he did some horrible things, but he was just trying to live his dream and made the ultimate sacrifice so that the woman could live and he could be kind of at peace. Bittersweet.

Raylen continues to be fucking stone cold though, no shooting guns out of peoples hands for this guy.

Maybe it'd be better if I just said that I'm surprised she likes Justified considering that her favorite shows are Ugly Betty, Vampire Diaries, and Gossip Girl :P

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Maybe it'd be better if I just said that I'm surprised she likes Justified considering that her favorite shows are Ugly Betty, Vampire Diaries, and Gossip Girl :P

Oh god I'm so sorry. I just see the commercials on CW for these and thats enough to make me hate them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Oh god I'm so sorry. I just see the commercials on CW for these and thats enough to make me hate them.

You have no idea how bad they really are :x

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It was gonna be Lawman but Seagal got his comedy show out first.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Do you... do you need my shoulder to cry on? Its ok Cornelias you can cry now.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

You love me because you think my testicles were removed too.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Based on show choice man I think I can make that a safe assumption...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Based on show choice man I think I can make that a safe assumption...

I still have one of them! DON'T JUDGE ME!

Evil_Reaver on
This discussion has been closed.