As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have to say that it's really weird hearing my wife say, "This show is AWESOME!" when she didn't even like The Shield. Not saying they're the same show, but FX does "dark and gritty" very well and considering what my wife watches on a regular basis, I wouldn't have put Justified in the front running for one of her favorite shows.

Have you seen Timothy Olyphant?

Dude's hot.

Like, hella hot.

Or so I hear. For 42 straight minutes. Every time we watch this.

Oddly, this episode was missing some of the charm for me. I think it was the change of location, and the less "small fry" nature of the bad guy, it just had a different feel. Still, I enjoyed it. Especially Cameron. Felt terrible for that guy.

Still loving some of the lines in this show, though:
    "Now option 1...and it's in that position for a reason...

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have to say that it's really weird hearing my wife say, "This show is AWESOME!" when she didn't even like The Shield. Not saying they're the same show, but FX does "dark and gritty" very well and considering what my wife watches on a regular basis, I wouldn't have put Justified in the front running for one of her favorite shows.

Have you seen Timothy Olyphant?

Dude's hot.

Like, hella hot.

Or so I hear. For 42 straight minutes. Every time we watch this.

Oddly, this episode was missing some of the charm for me. I think it was the change of location, and the less "small fry" nature of the bad guy, it just had a different feel. Still, I enjoyed it. Especially Cameron. Felt terrible for that guy.

Still loving some of the lines in this show, though:
    "Now option 1...and make no mistake it's in that position for a reason...

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raylen didn't shoot someone! Woo he's turning a corner.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

But he did hit someone in the knee with a baseball bat. And he beaned that yokel with a baseball. That corner he's turning must be 179 degrees.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

But he did hit someone in the knee with a baseball bat. And he beaned that yokel with a baseball. That corner he's turning must be 179 degrees.

Look they'll live, I'm counting this as a positive. And that backyard did look nice.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am shocked and confused at the lack of death.

Givens must be like ninjas. The more of them, the less effective each one becomes.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Two consecutive weeks in a row where continuity was a big deal. Woo hoo!

And by the looks of things, next week will be the third!

Loving this show, much more than I would have thought. Especially giving my tepid feelings on Olyphant.

Atomika on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    anybody watch last nights episode?

Joolander on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

I liked it. He doesn't have to be shooting people to be a huge badass. The conversation he has with the horse trainer while the dude has a gun under the desk was awesome.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

I did. Wasn't wowed by the episode but I did like the ending with the Adolf Hitler paintings.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loved last night episode. Mostly because it had three instances where Olyphant is having a conversation where he pretends to be a slightly slow hillbilly and ends the conversation with BTW I know what you are up to and if you continue doing it I will shoot you in the face.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked it because it had Tony Hale AND Robert Picardo. And a guy that I thought was Gary Cole for a few seconds.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I loved last night episode. Mostly because it had three instances where Olyphant is having a conversation where he pretends to be a slightly slow hillbilly and ends the conversation with BTW I know what you are up to and if you continue doing it I will shoot you in the face.

Yes I like how he is all about second chances. You could see this as a difference from his father. Arlo tends to have one setting angry, so almost in an act of rebellion he lets people dissapoint him before he kills them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ive been pleasantly surprised by this show. Its pretty good so far.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yes I like how he is all about second chances. You could see this as a difference from his father. Arlo tends to have one setting angry, so almost in an act of rebellion he lets people dissapoint him before he kills them.

Yep Olyphant seems like a pretty decent guy. He doesn't seem to really judge someone. He gives them two options:

A) Do the right thing and I'll be good to you.

B) Do the wrong thing and I'll hurt you.

And based on the people he deals with these options are justified. 8-)

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I guess I like the empathy he has for people in a bad place. He's not some righteous jerk, he lets them walk away. When they don't well they find out he's not much of a bumpkin.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Is it cold out here?"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like this show. It gets better with every episode.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I liked it because it had Tony Hale AND Robert Picardo. And a guy that I thought was Gary Cole for a few seconds.

I could swear that was Chris Cooper, but he didn't kiss anybody so it's hard to tell.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

I could swear that was Chris Cooper, but he didn't kiss anybody so it's hard to tell.

Nah not cooper, but its an actor who's like his generic knock off.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great episode. The main story arc is really where this show is at its best.

A big ol' smile went across my face when we finally saw Bo Crowder and he was played by M.C. Gainey.

fortis on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fortis wrote: »
    Great episode. The main story arc is really where this show is at its best.

A big ol' smile went across my face when we finally saw Bo Crowder and he was played by M.C. Gainey.

yeah that was awesome

ad this thread needs a new title

Joolander on
  • Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's Goodwin from Lost, if anyone watches that. Don't know his real name.

kilroydos on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've caught a couple of random episodes of this, and it seems worth catching up on.

Are the back episodes up on FX.com or something?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, the hitman was the preacher from Deadwood.

This now makes three hitmen from that Miami cartel that are dead after run-ins with Raylan. Four, if you count the fat guy in Cali.

The guy in the opening, the guy the sent after the dentist dude that Raylan shot (along with his fat local partner), and the preacher from deadwood.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    kilroydos wrote: »

Also there was a Sam Rockwell knock off who's investigating Raylan

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    kilroydos wrote: »

Also there was a Sam Rockwell knock off who's investigating Raylan

That's George Lutz you silly goose hes a knock off of no one!

Good episode tonight, did not see the twist coming.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shit. Did not see that coming. I am really surprised by this show.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I've caught a couple of random episodes of this, and it seems worth catching up on.

http://www.hulu.com/justified

It's two week behind but for catching up it'd work well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

http://www.hulu.com/justified

It's two week behind but for catching up it'd work well.

Hulu posts the previous week's episode every Thursday morning. FX usually replays the current week's episode again on Thursday and Sunday night. Watch the Hulu episodes over the weekend then catch the Sunday night replay and you'll be all caught up.

grrarg on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not-Favereau made me sad, but I got where he was coming from I guess.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man i hope big daddy crowder goes after miami for revenge and has to team up with raylan
    seems like thats the most obvious way to play it anyway

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man i hope big daddy crowder goes after miami for revenge and has to team up with raylan

After his guest appearance in Burn Notice, getting him anywhere near Miami again would be hilarious considering what happened.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

I dunno, I'm pretty sure boyd has something sketchy going on (they focussed on him wanting to get his bible back a little too much for something not to be in there). I don't really see Raylan associated with a crowder except in the sense of "Shooting officer Raylan Givens, deceased Crowder."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Renewed for a 2nd season.

Not that surprising, but still good news.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I saw that earlier and it is good news. It almost makes me want to read Leonards books with Raylen in them. I bet there is a forthcoming full novel as well.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, I find myself constantly going "hey that's the guy from....." during this show. More than usual.

Took me the entire episode that he first appeared in to figure out what the Sheriff had been in (Life)...sad, too, because I kinda liked him. Probably just because I liked him in Life.

It was funny, because the wife figured he seemed dirty as hell, but then he totally wasn't.
    Until this episode, when he totally was. Still a nice little head-fake.

Did anybody else find themselves thinking "holy fuck he's going to shoot a cop this episode?!"

Dirty cop, sure, but that's not the kind of thing that would have helped the investigation he's under.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Seriously, I find myself constantly going "hey that's the guy from....." during this show. More than usual.

Took me the entire episode that he first appeared in to figure out what the Sheriff had been in (Life)...sad, too, because I kinda liked him. Probably just because I liked him in Life.

It was funny, because the wife figured he seemed dirty as hell, but then he totally wasn't.
    Until this episode, when he totally was. Still a nice little head-fake.

Did anybody else find themselves thinking "holy fuck he's going to shoot a cop this episode?!"

Dirty cop, sure, but that's not the kind of thing that would have helped the investigation he's under.

And he's from Deadwood, too, which makes the number of Deadwood actors in the show 4 now, including Olyphant. Olyphant, obviously, the husband who the wife has killed, the hitman, and that cop. I hope the trend continues and we get Titus Welliver and some others.

And fucking Ian McShane. But I'm sure he's busy with a film career now.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I need to watch Deadwood one of these days.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Titus Welliver and some others.

Cyrus Tolliver, you mean?

And fucking Ian McShane. But I'm sure he's busy with a film career now.

Yeah, probably not for a while. Those Pirates of the Carribean movies take like 6 months to shoot, and this time they're on location in Hawaii.

Season 2 maybe, at the tail end.

Atomika on
This discussion has been closed.