As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Clearly Boyd was testing his new friend, much the same way he asked if they did any killing, Boyd was seeing if he did as well.

Anyone else worry for poor Ron though when they were up on the bridge from season 1...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    There were some good comedy beats with his character, this is gonna be a fun season. Also going to be interesting to see why Boyd is hiding money.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Man, this was just fucking awesome.

"You're not going to shoot me!"

Heh.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    There were some good comedy beats with his character, this is gonna be a fun season. Also going to be interesting to see why Boyd is hiding money.

Same reason Constable Bob has a go bag, though we did find out.

His exit plan does not include Ava, either because he doesn't trust her, or he doesn't want her slowing him down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Or maybe it's a surprise FOR Ava! No one would see that coming.

• Options
    I'll be honest if Boyd Crowder said he had a surprise for me I'd shoot him on principal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It's the only safe way to handle that situation, really. Your only other potential outcomes are gonna be bombs or drugs.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Well he might have a puppy or a book, you can't tell with Boyd. I mean most likely? Horrific death or dismemberment, but once just once, he'll have the collected works of issac assimov and you'll feel real silly when you blow his dick off and spell your name at him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preaching if he goes to the classics.

Either way, a gun is the right answer.

• Options
    I bet Walton Goggins is a really nice guy, but even so when I met him I'd be 50/50 on shaking his hand, such is the power of Boyd Crowder.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    So it's taken me a few days to articulate why, but this episode didn't really live up to my expectations. Everything that was there was fantastic. Loved the dialog -- "What do you think of these? I was wondering because I'm kind of a late bloomer." "Patience is a virtue." The attention to detail for each of the new characters was top notch -- particularly love that Constable Bob drives a beat up rust colored 1970 Gremlin with fast food trash piled on the passenger seat floorboards and a set of police lights that he bought and installed himself. If Patton Oswalt hadn't said a single word during the episode, that car would have told me everything I needed to know about the guy, and it's the sort of touch that I can only expect to find on Justified.

I felt like a Justified-style villain introduction was missing, though. The way the show introduced Mags Bennet as the sweet old plump lady who poisoned a man with her homemade shine and took his daughter to raise as her own defined that character. The introduction of Quarrels as a smiling psychopath with a gimmicky gun during the first episode last season also defined him exceptionally well as a sort of real-life Joker if Batman lived in Kentucky and had a drinking problem. I'm just not feeling the preacher guy the same way. He's a snake handling tent revivalist who claims to heal addicts with the power of faith while peddling dope in novelty million dollar bills. Okay, yeah, that's unique, but they haven't given me a feel of who he is the way they did with Mags, Quarrels or Limehouse.

I hope they get around to doing that soon because the villain introduction is like my favorite part of every season.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I read that they are stepping away from the one central bad guy thing this season, and are focussing on some 30 year old case (I haven't watched the first episode yet).

• Options
    Yeah they are going more season 1 than 2 or 3, no big scary over villain.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I read that they are stepping away from the one central bad guy thing this season, and are focussing on some 30 year old case (I haven't watched the first episode yet).

Yeah, and if the cold open where they introduce the case isn't enough to get you interested like Quarles or Mags, I don't know what is.

• Options

Yeah, and if the cold open where they introduce the case isn't enough to get you interested like Quarles or Mags, I don't know what is.

I tend to think the character is king when it comes to telling a great story. What really got me interested was knowing that whatever the fuck is going on is that Arlo is willing to kill over it.

• Options
    I think we have plenty of character going on in this season though.

Boyd

Boyd's army buddy

Ava

The Bartender Raylens Banging

Raylen

Arlo

That crazy probably banging his sister Preacher (not to be confused with me I don't have a sister)

Ellen May

The potential character of that old criminal who may or may not be named Waldo Truth.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Like I said, I love the character development that was there, I just love what they do with villains particularly.

I recognize that if there had been a villain introduced, I'd probably be saying that I don't know how they felt it could compete with Mags or Quarels.

• Options
    Honestly I wasn't that big a fan of Mags, I thought the whole Bennett story line felt so small and petty and really made season 2 drag for me. I understand that puts me in a minority.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    What if the villain is
    Arlo?
    He didn't act like the crazy old man from last season in that episode. Speculation time
    what if Waldo Truth is Arlo after he became a criminal after he found the drugs in the prologue?

• Options
    Arlo isn't acting crazy because he's in prison and has to take his pills on a more regular basis. Just like when Helen was alive Arlo was a lot more sane. What medication he actually takes though is anyone's guess, probably just some generic hollywood nut job pill.

As far as your speculation.

From the way Raylen talks about Arlo he's not that kind of criminal. Arlo's a thug opportunist liar asshole who beat his son and married his wifes sister, master drug stealing plane thief he is not.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Like I said, I love the character development that was there, I just love what they do with villains particularly.

I recognize that if there had been a villain introduced, I'd probably be saying that I don't know how they felt it could compete with Mags or Quarels.

Or Limehouse.

We can't forget Limehouse.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    PIGGY BANK! Technically Quarles may still be alive, Raylen never said he died and Graham Yost also took that stance.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Robert QuarlesRobert Quarles Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    PIGGY BANK! Technically Quarles may still be alive, Raylen never said he died and Graham Yost also took that stance.

I'm not dead.

• Options
    I've heard you've been disarmed recently.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Theo Tonin had a change of heart and bought me a prosthetic arm. Wynn Duffy and I are going to have some words once I finish physical therapy.

• Options
    Honestly I wasn't that big a fan of Mags, I thought the whole Bennett story line felt so small and petty and really made season 2 drag for me. I understand that puts me in a minority.

See I kind of liked the smallness of it all though. It's probably a personal difference; my family roots stretch back to the colonial period in the mountains of Virginia. Many still live in the Roanoke river valley, and it feels a lot like Harlan in the show in a lot of places. So the small, pettiness of that particular family drama between the Givens and the Bennet families felt really authentic to me.

By contrast, Wynn Duffy is the sort of person who is too goddamned cool to exist in real life.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't like the preacher character already. Drug pushing revivalist was Boyd's schtick in season 1, not interested in retreading that ground. Of course, I love the show and I think they will do something interesting with it that will bring me around, but that was my initial reaction, anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't think the preacher is a drug pusher, at least we haven't seen that side of him. All we have is he is in theory getting people off of drugs which was more of what Boyd's schtick was in later season 1.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The preacher is actually my son.

• Options
    The preacher is actually my son.

I thought he was just a little kid.

This revelation really puts your predilection for twink rape and mutilation into context.

• Options
    Thanks Preach, I'm trying to figure out why everybody was assuming the preacher was dealing, like did I miss an important scene at some point?

The judge says that he put the "new" drugs into the folded up fake dollar. Though that does sound more like a line now that I think about it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thanks Preach, I'm trying to figure out why everybody was assuming the preacher was dealing, like did I miss an important scene at some point?

The judge says that he put the "new" drugs into the folded up fake dollar. Though that does sound more like a line now that I think about it.

There's definitely some kind of connection between the church and the drugs I would think, but as of now I haven't figured it out yet.

• Options

Yeah thats the one direct possibility of the church dealing (the other not so direct of course being Boyd's oxy business going down). But the episode itself included nothing about them dealing drugs, only him being creepy with a snake and talking about how he bangs his sister. Wait that last part I just implied.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

There's definitely some kind of connection between the church and the drugs I would think, but as of now I haven't figured it out yet.

Perhaps the connection is that unlike Boyd this guy is the real thing and his presence is
    successfully lowering the drug use in the community.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Boyd in season 1 was the real deal as well, none of his church was doing drugs, and I'm sure them shutting down meth labs helped the community in a way. It wasn't until after his daddy killed all his followers and Boyd tried going straight he just said fuck it and went into the crime bidness.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That moment where Ava came in to find Boyd reading not from the Bible but from On Human Bondage was such a great scene.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Theo Tonin had a change of heart and bought me a prosthetic arm. Wynn Duffy and I are going to have some words once I finish physical therapy.

Would you say it will be a pleasant conversation, sort of a Wynn/Wynn? Or will it degenerate into a Quarle?

Goddamn, Arlo. Goddamn.

"It's from Lebowski. Netflix it and you can be one of the cool kids."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Boyd in season 1 was the real deal as well, none of his church was doing drugs, and I'm sure them shutting down meth labs helped the community in a way. It wasn't until after his daddy killed all his followers and Boyd tried going straight he just said fuck it and went into the crime bidness.

Boyd was a believer, sure, but his church was a bunch of hardcases living out in the woods. This new guy has a church (out in the woods, sure) that families, women, and just normal members of the community feel welcome and safe going to. He has a much much broader appeal than Boyd ever managed.

• Options
    Yep, Boyd was like a prison preacher, this guy is like delivering hope to the hopeless preacher.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    "But I don't even trust the way you just now said I could trust you."

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
This discussion has been closed.