As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I thought he ended up saying it to Raylan too, followed up by wondering when he was gonna end up going to Raylan's funeral or some such.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I thought he ended up saying it to Raylan too, followed up by wondering when he was gonna end up going to Raylan's funeral or some such.

He said something similar to Raylan all along. And then in a doomed sort of way corrected it and said he'd end up going before Raylan (though he thought out of stroke instead of getting shot like he did).

I always liked Art the character, but sadly in season 5 when his character was being more douche than normal, the actual actor was also being a dick bag. Which partially colored my appreciation.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I loved that they cast a recognizable actor as Raylan's new partner down in Florida. It sort of drove home that, his demons more or less conquered, Raylan was just an office guy in this new show, the one they gave the shit jobs to while they went out on the manhunts. And he was totally good with that.

• Options
    Asharad wrote: »
    I loved that they cast a recognizable actor as Raylan's new partner down in Florida. It sort of drove home that, his demons more or less conquered, Raylan was just an office guy in this new show, the one they gave the shit jobs to while they went out on the manhunts. And he was totally good with that.

He was on the show before as a florida marshal in season 5.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The new partner appeared in Season 5 and worked with Raylan before when he went down there Crowe hunting.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

He said something similar to Raylan all along. And then in a doomed sort of way corrected it and said he'd end up going before Raylan (though he thought out of stroke instead of getting shot like he did).

I always liked Art the character, but sadly in season 5 when his character was being more douche than normal, the actual actor was also being a dick bag. Which partially colored my appreciation.

?? What was the actor doing?

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I really wanted Boyd to take a bullet to the face, but other than that, it was a fine finale.

I'm glad Justified knew when to stop, unlike so many other shows I used to like that just kept going on and on until they got shitty.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Adam Baldwin-ing it up on Twitter. Apparently their friends.

• Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    I really wanted Boyd to take a bullet to the face, but other than that, it was a fine finale.

I'm glad Justified knew when to stop, unlike so many other shows I used to like that just kept going on and on until they got shitty.

I have no idea which one you could be referencing with that second line.

Boyd could have gone either way, but how he would have ended up dead in his predicament would have killed more than just him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

*stares soulfully into your avatar*

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, the closest Boyd ever came to Anti-Hero is that he did find himself pitted against worse (or equally bad) guys each season. But Boyd was never the protagonist, this show had a hero, and it was Raylan.

And while Raylan may play fast and loose with the rules from time to time, he was definitely not an anti-hero. If he shoots you, it's justified. Hence, you know...

I was actually a little miffed at the recap of the ep over at Slate, where they said something to the effect of the Raylan/Boyd showdown being a redemption, where he refused to shoot somebody who didn't pull first which is what got him sent to Kentucky in the first place. Like...the author needs to go rewatch the pilot, Tommy totally pulls. Raylan forces his hand, but he pulls.

The question, which will forever remain unanswered, is whether Raylan would have shot anyway. But he knew Tommy would pull.

It is funny how often that gets missed. AV club also had this bug up its ass about how bad Raylan has gotten while kind of ignoring the actual bad things Boyd Crowder did. Its kind of like how on Breaking Bad people liked Walt more despite him being a murderous drug dealer and hated his wife because she had the gall to cheat on that murderous drug dealer.

It's probably that throw back to the love of Anti Heroes. Though I'm kind of glad Justified is ending this year with this horrific rash of police outright executing people in the street, parallel's to Raylan would be drawn even if they are not fair at all.

Yeah all the talk of how Raylan was bad for S4's ending was overblown. He did what anyone would do in that situation.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, the closest Boyd ever came to Anti-Hero is that he did find himself pitted against worse (or equally bad) guys each season. But Boyd was never the protagonist, this show had a hero, and it was Raylan.

And while Raylan may play fast and loose with the rules from time to time, he was definitely not an anti-hero. If he shoots you, it's justified. Hence, you know...

I was actually a little miffed at the recap of the ep over at Slate, where they said something to the effect of the Raylan/Boyd showdown being a redemption, where he refused to shoot somebody who didn't pull first which is what got him sent to Kentucky in the first place. Like...the author needs to go rewatch the pilot, Tommy totally pulls. Raylan forces his hand, but he pulls.

The question, which will forever remain unanswered, is whether Raylan would have shot anyway. But he knew Tommy would pull.

It is funny how often that gets missed. AV club also had this bug up its ass about how bad Raylan has gotten while kind of ignoring the actual bad things Boyd Crowder did. Its kind of like how on Breaking Bad people liked Walt more despite him being a murderous drug dealer and hated his wife because she had the gall to cheat on that murderous drug dealer.

It's probably that throw back to the love of Anti Heroes. Though I'm kind of glad Justified is ending this year with this horrific rash of police outright executing people in the street, parallel's to Raylan would be drawn even if they are not fair at all.

Yeah all the talk of how Raylan was bad for S4's ending was overblown. He did what anyone would do in that situation.

Well Nicky wouldn't pull on him, but would keep sending dudes after him. He was also planning on killing Sammy Tonin and its not like legally Raylan could do anything for Sammy beyond what he did.

It was borderline bad, but Raylan did offer to take Nicky in and Nicky told him that he would not do that, he just didn't tell Nicky if he didn't come with him he was about to get machine gun serenaded.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    The new partner appeared in Season 5 and worked with Raylan before when he went down there Crowe hunting.

And helped drop a bad guy Raylan style.

The ending was one of the best I've ever seen and I think it worked perfectly by getting all off the action out of the way in the first half, because it really gave time to cement how Raylan has changed in the following years. The anger really seemed to have left him.

The ending also made me realize how much I'm gonna miss this show. It might not have been the best show from a technical or artistic standpoint but I really cared about the characters and the dialogue.. holy shit.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Well Raylan had him on at least three murders in the drying shed, two of them law enforcement (dirty law enforcement but still leos) one attempted murder on Constable Bob who would testify, the murder of Hagan who bob could place him at the scene of. He threw dynamite at marshals so more charges there.

Even under generous sentencing he'd be away forever.

That's what I figured, just seemed odd that Boyd proclaimed he'd get out one day and that Raylan was worried enough about the possibility that he'd make the trip to sell Boyd his bullshit. He's not locked up in Arkham, he's not busting out.

What I'm going to miss most is the gunslinger pastiche. There was always the lurking feeling that Johnny Ringo and Doc Holliday were going to square it up one more time. There was something romantic about the way these guys would decide to test themselves against one another. For a gunslinger, the only way to know how good you are is to put your life on the line. I'm in awe of the balls it takes to do that, even for the bad guys like Quarles and Boon. Respectable villainy.

• Options
    Boyd had gotten out of prison several times, where there is a will there is a way. It was mostly giving Boyd closure, even if it was a false one. If he believed Ava to be dead, killed by running from the law accidentally he'd be more at peace, more willing to ride the rap. And less willing to try and track her down using old associates or loyalties and thus find out about their son.

What Raylan would probably get tripped up by is young Zacheriah finding out about his daddy and arranging a prison break, sending newly divorced put upon Willa Givens (she took her daddy's name when she joined the Marshals to honor him) after the Crowders. Along the way she check's in with Raylan who broke his leg recently so he's not much help in a chase but offers his service in a shoot should it come to that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It seems quite obvious to me that Boyd and Ava were kept alive at the end of JUSTIFIED to make them available for spin-off serieses.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    It seems quite obvious to me that Boyd and Ava were kept alive at the end of JUSTIFIED to make them available for spin-off serieses.

Not at all, Justified wasn't a huge success and despite the die hard fans and critics approaching Yost to do Wynne Lose or Draw he's said they aren't most likely going to do any spin offs. Though left the door open since full house is getting a net flix series despite all good sense to the contrary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'd argue Boyd was kept alive so we could get that final scene, bringing it back full circle to the pilot.

Edit: and yeah if there WAS a spinoff it'd be with Duffy, not Boyd.

mcdermott on
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Boyd Crowder, as played by Walton Goggins, has become an iconic figure. It's hard to believe that FX is going to allow him to waste away in jail, un-exploited.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Adam Baldwin-ing it up on Twitter. Apparently their friends.

Really, Nick Searcy is one of the Good Guys ? Woo hoo !!

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Boyd Crowder, as played by Walton Goggins, has become an iconic figure. It's hard to believe that FX is going to allow him to waste away in jail, un-exploited.

Walton probably wants his career to move away from being on FX shows, I mean he basically went from the Shield, to Justified with little space in between.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Wasn't Sons of Anarchy on FX? He was also there, briefly.

• Options
    Yeah but that was during jutified's run.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wasn't Sons of Anarchy on FX? He was also there, briefly.

Yeah but that was a bit part in a few episodes. Between Shield and Justified he's spent the last...twelve years?...on two FX shows as his full time gig. I'm sure he'd be happy to move on for a bit.

• Options
    Maybe even play a hero, I'd buy Goggins as a good guy, I wouldn't necessarily trust him as a good guy...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sadly looks like more bad guy roles but hilariously a part on a Danny McBride show? So at least something fun.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I remember being super leery about Goggins being on Justified because I thought I would never be able to get over him being god damn Shane but holy shit he blew past that in the pilot.

• Options
    I like how he took over the roll of Boyd Crowder from another racist hill billy, to someone who instead was a conman preying on other idiotic hill billys.

"Read your bible as interpreted by experts" such a beautiful line that explains so much of Boyd's bullshit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There are few actors who so effortlessly show a brilliant intellect ticking away all the time, noticing every detail, always calculating, always thinking ruthlessly forward, as Goggins did with Boyd Crowder.

• Options
    Well, read the trivia section on Goggins. That was an unpleasant surprise.

• Options
    You mean the part where it said his wife served him with divorce papers right before leaping to her death? Yeah thats kind of really awfully fucked up. Like I'm hoping that's an error and someone is a sick fuck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nope apparently not that's a thing that happened, though I saw 2014 and not 2004, still thats awful, like holy shit awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah just a reminder that famous people are still people, and sometime fucked up things happen to them.

On a lighter note, I kinda want the giant rubber Limehouse pig.

• Options
    Only if you plan on keeping money in it. Maybe get it with the quarles arm.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do think one of my favorite Raylan lines was to Duffy.

"I've shot people I liked more for less." It's such a difference between book Raylan who two books in has only shot and killed two people, and TV show Raylan who in the first episode has shot two people!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh and the first line in Fire in the Hole the story Justified was based on for the pilot? They dug coal together...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Art: "Maybe the bartender can testify ?"

Raylan: "I don't think the bartender will be a good witness."

Art: "Why, does he have a criminal record ?"

Raylan: "She."

Art: "Goddammit Raylan !"

Raylan: "Sorry..."

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I do think one of my favorite Raylan lines was to Duffy.

"I've shot people I liked more for less." It's such a difference between book Raylan who two books in has only shot and killed two people, and TV show Raylan who in the first episode has shot two people!

I like the classic "Next one's comin' faster."

This discussion has been closed.