As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blue Screen of Death, Windows Vista 32 as windows is loading, Please help

Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
Hello Everyone,

So recently my laptop is failing to load Windows Vista. When the computer starts up it begins to load the Vista operating system and about half through the load time, a blue screen error occurs and the computer crashes and restarts.

I have tried to run the computer in safe mode and the same thing happens. I have also tried to run the last known good configuration and the same thing occurs. When I load the start up repair, the system recovery options don't list vista as being available to repair. I have the option of loading drivers and it brings me to the windowed mode of my harddrive. I can click next and go to the recovery tool screen, but the startup repair does nothing. It indicates a possible bad hardrive. I have tried to do a system restore from my previous system backups through the command prompt but gives me the error message

"The Parameter is incorrect 0x80070057"

This occured after a microsoft update and something similiar to this has happened before, but the computer fixed itself when it went through the hard drive and removed some bad sectors. The program was called Chckdsk. Does anyone know how to force this utility to run?

Please help as my computer has all of my recent class notes, etc on it.

Thanks again

steam_sig.png
Smaug6 on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it's chkdsk /r

You'll need to put in a windows disk, then go to the repair console and type it in. I would probably download Ubuntu and get all your class notes off of it first. You have to have another computer sitting around, right?

urahonky on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    drive is going bad bad bad. take it to someone that can pull it and copy the data off onto another PC. get a new drive and reload vista.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I opened a command prompt, typed in chkdsk c: /f /r and it took a long time to run through the program, but it fixed the problem.

Its funny in that its been finicky in the past, but this time was the absolute worst. Not sure if its the hard drive itself or if vista is wonky. Reading some other online forums, people found that even they could transfer everything to a new harddrive, using the same operating system the problem was still happening.

Thank you for all the help .

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png