As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Co-op friendly games to play with my girl!

ToniousTonious Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
So, lately my girl has been showing some interest in playing games with me. I'm all for it, usually she'll just sit and watch me play for a bit but never gets involved. Recently she saw me playing Naruto: The Broken Bond and wanted to play too. We ended up spending all afternoon doing the co-op tournaments til finally we won. That computer was unforgiving but she's a quick study! So now she's really interested in more co-op games we can play. We played Watchmen: The End is Nigh and she thoroughly enjoyed that as well. I want to keep her hooked and addicted like I am. XD So I need some suggestions! I have all 3 consoles and a bunch of games for each. I've tried some others with her but they're hit and miss. She doesn't like shooters and I have a ton of those. We tried RE5 that was a no go. Various Tom Clancy games like Rainbox 6, GRAW and stuff like Kane and Lynch plus Gears. She's pretty picky. I've mostly played Singleplayer games so when it comes to co-op I'm at a loss of good ones. The Wii has a bunch of multiplayer but they're mostly just mini-games and what not. Although I was thinking of trying that Obscure the Aftermath. Heard it's like Silent Hill but with co-op. Heh, as a side note I'm the type who always waits for games to get cheap before he buys them, so I'm usually a year behind everyone else. ^_^;;

Tonious on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does she enjoy games where you can screw each other over?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Obscure games are pretty bad. Probably dirt cheap if you can find them though, and not exactly hard in the traditional sense. The controls suck beyond belief though, and you'll die a few times due to that, very frustrating.

Oh, no MMOs. Just....don't. Keep her the hell away from MMOs, at all costs. If she asks what WoW is, tell her it's a disease, very contagious. Both you and her will thank me for that advice.

Astale on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Does she enjoy games where you can screw each other over?

That game is called "real life".

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, there's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Double Agent for the original Xbox. Really good splitscreen co-op. Technically not a shooter? Maybe kinda?

And uh... gosh, the no shooter restriction is really cutting down a lot of choices. *stares at game collection some more*

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 for the 360. Those are a lot of fun in co-op. The first one's dirt cheap at GameStop right now, I believe.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    chronoboundgearchronoboundgear Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Super Mario Bros. Wii is my first suggestion. Rabbids games were misses with me, but the monkey ball mini games were fun.

chronoboundgear on
    Xbox 360 Tag: Earthbound King

Every fights a food fight when you're a cannibal.
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isn't one of the Katamari games co-op or was that in my imagination?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, there are plenty of XBLA titles that are co-op.

TMNT: Reshelled and Castle Crashers come to mind.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LittleBigPlanet. My girlfriend hates video games and enjoyed playing it.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Castle Crashers is pretty fun and frantic in places. Give it a whirl, See what you think of it. There's also a pretty lengthy co-op story mode in Brawl, and it's just a treat to play in general. Plus you could always team up for some comp stomp.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lego StarWars/Batman/Indie are very partner friendly and excellent fun.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Castle Crashers is pretty fun and frantic in places. Give it a whirl, See what you think of it. There's also a pretty lengthy co-op story mode in Brawl, and it's just a treat to play in general. Plus you could always team up for some comp stomp.

I recommend against the story mode in brawl. I can't put my finger on it, but something about it just seems void of fun.

It almost feels like it was designed around one player, but they put the 2nd player in because they felt they had to.

Kor on
  • Options
    ToniousTonious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, good point. I didn't think to check XBLA or some of the classic games. That helps a little. Problem is my Xbox HD is always full. Grr.... Too cheap to upgrade to the bigger HD. There any good co-op games downloadable on PS3?

Tonious on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rock Band!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    <-- Doesn't own a PS3 so information might be incorrect

What about that Fat Princess game? I remember seeing screens about it.

Kor on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Splosion Man's co-op might also work as another xbox live title.

I had both a friend who does play games and one who does not enjoy it.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Schizoid on XBLA. It's a perfect co-op game, and the only controls you have to teach anyone are "use the stick to move your ship".

One you is red. The other is blue. Enemies the same color as you will run from you, as if you touch them they get destroyed. Enemies the opposite color chase you, as if you touch them they destroy you. So the two of you have to destroy everything by working together and herding the ships chasing you into your partner for destruction.

This game is literally designed around co-op. The only one player modes it has are a bot controlling the 2nd player and a mode where one player controls both ships at the same time, one with each stick (just in case you ever feel like making your brain melt and puddle around you shoes)

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd recommend PixelJunk: Monsters and PixelJunk: Shooter. Both are really fun co-op.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    ObsidianiObsidiani __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Beware, Pixel Junk Shooter is not actually a shooter.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    N+ is a pretty damn good co-op game on the XBLA but it's hard as hell and it's led to quite a few shouting matches between my friends and I, as well as my wife and I. My wife also enjoys playing Street Fighter with me, though that's not co-op. You could also try Castle Crashers, that's an amazing game anyway.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tonious wrote: »
    Ah, good point. I didn't think to check XBLA or some of the classic games. That helps a little. Problem is my Xbox HD is always full. Grr.... Too cheap to upgrade to the bigger HD. There any good co-op games downloadable on PS3?

Perfect Dark from the N64 era is on XBLA and if you like Co-op games it probably has one of the best. Not only does it have a co-op mode, but it has a counter-op mode too, where one player plays through the campaign while the other player tries to stop them by taking control of the various basic enemies.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved playing through Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2 with my fiancee years ago. It's similar to Diablo. I've heard that Marvel Ultimate Alliance has similar gameplay, so you might want to check that one out since it's actually available for modern systems, unlike BG.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lego games (Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman)
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (both are good, but I had more fun with the 2nd)
    Little Big Planet
    Rock Band
    Castle Crashers (XBLA)

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone is going to suggest Katamari in this thread.

I want to fore-warn you, you will get angry when she decides that your katamari isn't big enough to grab something you totally know you can grab if only you could turn right....

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pikmin 2 would probably fit the bill, but last time I looked around online for a copy it wasn't exactly cheap. I wanted it for basically the same reasons you do. My wife isn't a gamer. She digs Mario Kart DD (which is a good time too for co-op) and not much else. She gets a kick out of watching Pikmin so I always thought that it may be another one we could enjoy together.

Drake on
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lego games (Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman)
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (both are good, but I had more fun with the 2nd)
    Little Big Planet
    Rock Band
    Castle Crashers (XBLA)

Everything said here is an excellent suggestion!

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Another vote for Lego games. My gf and I have lots of fun playing them.

The Zelda Four-swords games were great, but GBA and Gamecube, so a little hard to find now. They need to make a new four swords for DS/Wii.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely check out Pixel Junk Monsters on PSN, if either of you are into tower defense games.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Secret of Mana

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Secret of Mana

I used to play this with my grandmother back in the day, it was a good time.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Phoenix Wright on WiiWare! Just play through it together! It'll be like you really are Phoenix and "sidekick who's name I won't spoil in case you haven't played it."

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Simpsons Game (the new one for 360/PS3) was great fun two player, especially if you loved the show. The part where you select what mission to do next was single-player, however. As long as you can be patient while giving her the controls, you should have some fun.

My wife and I had great fun with Champions of Norrath and its sequel on PS2. I've been looking everywhere for a similar game for 360/PS3 with no luck. The closest thing was a JRPG called Eternal Sonata, but it is long and kind of geeky for a girl to get into. Eternal Sonata also has the same problem as The Simpsons where the mission selection is single-player.

We tried a Champions-style game called Sacred 2 Fallen Angel that was recommended here in a similar thread. We were very disappointed as the entire game seems to be centered around making you re-visit the same sections of map over and over again and spacing out the enemies in order to maximize the use of the settings, instead of just letting you fight and have fun. Plus, the co-op feels like it was just tacked-on instead of being central to the game.

My only other suggestion is to check the website http://www.co-optimus.com; they have reviews of games centered around multiplayer aspect, although the interface leaves something to be desired.

r4dr3z on