As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hard On] Jagged Alliance 2 - Updated: JA3!

• Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to withhold judgement on JA3 just so that I don't end up eating my words later. I'll just say that it is good that someone is at least taking a chance on it.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Without Sirtech around anymore I'm very very skeptical about any JA sequels. I'd love a true sequel that continues the greatness of the Jagged Alliance games, but it will have a lot to live up to.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    Without Sirtech around anymore I'm very very skeptical about any JA sequels. I'd love a true sequel that continues the greatness of the Jagged Alliance games, but it will have a lot to live up to.

I'd actually be just as worried, if not moreso, if Sirtech WAS around. Some time after they went under, parts of the design they were planning to use for JA3 surfaced. It included phrases such as "simultaneous turns" and "real time" and basically said they were going to make it play like the UFO: Aftermath from what I gathered. It seemed like they were planning on making it less like JA than what ex-Nival members will probably do with it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After reading the revised OP, it sounds like JA3 is going to be a bit of both Deadly Games and JA2.

I wonder, anyone know how much of the original team is in on JA3? (I mean Dev Team, not AIM team.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    IonMageIonMage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for JA3. I'm a little dissappointed at the way some things are indeed being lost in translation, but they are things that could be gone and still have a JA experience. The one thing I'm keeping my eye on is the handling of the campaign map. I remember the first time I played 1.13, I had to sequence break thanks to the Drassen counterattack and conquer Chitzena first to get funds... with myself and Ira alone. It felt simply just epic doing things the 'wrong' way, and its working properly. I just want the game to remain semi-open-ended as it is.

IonMage on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just got JA2 from Steam (I still to this day do not get the whole "Steam Steam LOL" thing that was going on here a while back) and I love it. I played JA1 a lot, but this one is far better. I did have to restart though, as I mistakenly started in Sci-Fi mode, and I don't want to deal with those damn bugs.

Speaking of bugs, have any of you ran into an issue where you simply cannot find the last enemy on a map? I was doing the SW corner of Alma and went everywhere on the map and could not find the last bad guy. Went on the roof, checked all of the prison cells, had my guys walk the perimeter of the map, even blew open the door of the torture room (couldn't figure out how to open it...) and nothing. Was driving me nuts!

Yall on
  • Options
    IonMageIonMage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yall wrote:
    I just got JA2 from Steam (I still to this day do not get the whole "Steam Steam LOL" thing that was going on here a while back) and I love it. I played JA1 a lot, but this one is far better. I did have to restart though, as I mistakenly started in Sci-Fi mode, and I don't want to deal with those damn bugs.

Speaking of bugs, have any of you ran into an issue where you simply cannot find the last enemy on a map? I was doing the SW corner of Alma and went everywhere on the map and could not find the last bad guy. Went on the roof, checked all of the prison cells, had my guys walk the perimeter of the map, even blew open the door of the torture room (couldn't figure out how to open it...) and nothing. Was driving me nuts!

If it was nighttime, then that could be an issue. Firefights have an easier time of happening in the night with more than one set of eyes on both sides. Only takes one of those eyes to spark off the entire team... whereas when theres one sole survivor, hes both hard to find, and is only one set of eyes to spot you (and in turn open fire, revealing his position). I've seen visibility cut down to a few tiles at night.

IonMage on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i really like the special forces look theyre giving the mercs in JA3. i hated that in JA2 all your mercs looked like average people in jeans and t-shirts with semi-automatic weapons.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    mrgenericmrgeneric __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    just installed this game, playing it for the first time. i greatly prefer turn-based mode, but in the middle of the first mission the game suddenly switched to real-time. what button do i push to turn it back to turn-style combat?

EDIT: nevermind, i'm retarded. just realized that it only jumps into turn-based when an enemy is spotted. :D

mrgeneric on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guy's it's not Jagged Alliance 3 anymore.

It's now called JAZZ: Hired Guns

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really don't care if it is called Jazz Hands: The Gun-ening as long as I can still snipe snapper-heads with interrupts.

Edit: I'm just going to assume Jazz is an acronym for Jagged Alliance Double Zeta, yeah, that's the ticket.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    actually, reading Wikipedia, seems like JAZZ is just what was left over when SFI pulled the rights of JA from GLI...

granted, it is Wikipedia, but if that's true...

Edit: And cruising elsewhere on the web, seems that JA2-DS is slated for June/July timeframe.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All I can say is that Scully, Ivan and Magic had better be in the game or there will be hell to pay.

Kelor on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, so we are getting Jazz Hands, Ja3 and Ja2 DS now? This is getting interesting.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The OP wrote:
    * The game is built on a modified Silent Storm engine with updated graphics, improved physics, FX, and damage model.

While I remain cautious towards this game I have to say that this sounds sexy...

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kelor wrote:
    All I can say is that Scully, Ivan and Magic had better be in the game or there will be hell to pay.
    Prime.

...SNAPPERHEADS!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    Kelor wrote:
    Prime.

...SNAPPERHEADS!

Its a shame Pops left. He was awesome, came with a shotgun and frequently completely forgot why he was actually out in the field. And if you hired the other old guy, the doctor, they'd start talking about all their old war stories.

Its one of the reasons I liked the characters from the original more than 2.

Kelor on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm a big fan of Grunty.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kelor wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    Kelor wrote:
    Prime.

...SNAPPERHEADS!

Its a shame Pops left. He was awesome, came with a shotgun and frequently completely forgot why he was actually out in the field. And if you hired the other old guy, the doctor, they'd start talking about all their old war stories.

Its one of the reasons I liked the characters from the original more than 2.

Hey, Pops was FORCED to retire. He wanted to stay but AIM said, "Sorry Pops, we can only sign the age waiver for field service on 70+ years old members so many times..."

Besides, he's the one that opened up the mortuary in JA2.

Also, I was in for a big shock when I hired Buzz and Lynx and put them on the same team in JA2 without reading about what happened between them between JA2 and JA:DG.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really loved what the A.I.M database said about Kaboom. The guy couldn't even remember the order I gave him ten seconds ago but he could prime some mean explosives while going "Huyk, hyuk". Rest in pieces Kaboom :lol:

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, I have GOT to get this again.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    And via the wonder that is Steam, it is got. 20 beans for the game plus expansion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The downside is you can't get the concentrated awesomeness that is the 1.13 mod with the steam version.

But it's still pretty damned awesome without.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    The downside is you can't get the concentrated awesomeness that is the 1.13 mod with the steam version.

But it's still pretty damned awesome without.

I can always dream.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And via the wonder that is Steam, it is got. 20 beans for the game plus expansion.
    is the steam version still horribly broken/bugged? because i'd buy it in a second if not for that.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I thought this thread was dead.

Anyway, here's a post on how to make 1.13 work with the Steam version: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000104

I'll add it to the OP.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I went to install this the other night and last time I lent it out the disc got so scratched it won't work anymore. So I turned to Ebay and picked up the JA2 Gold pack w/ expansion for $20 Aus.

Soon I will be enjoying sweet sweet mercenary action.

So in the mean time I reinstalled the first one. I forgot how great the voices are in it, especially when its talking about the items. Its right up there with "Metal...Gear?"

I've got Lynx, Leech, Ivan, Fidel, Wolf and Magic at the moment, mostly decked out with 12g shotguns and a couple of M14s as well as having most of them with 5 pocket vests. (I hate not having those, 2 pocket vests are worthless.)

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You know, looking at it...

I wonder how they're going to pull off JA2-DS...
    A lot of screen swapping?

That's going to require a whole new interface (maybe even a few tweeks to the engine as well).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    is the steam version still horribly broken/bugged? because i'd buy it in a second if not for that.

I don't know if there is something game breaking later, but I could start the game at least.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Luckly Gametap has this (and soon Xcom 1 as well) at a nice stable 1.12 version with only the occasional crash (mostly during an explosion but sometimes it's random).

Hey I was thinking during work, would anyone object if I did something similar to what Synthic Orange did with Xcom and do a Sit-Rep/Commander's Log kinda thing?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nocren wrote:
    Luckly Gametap has this (and soon Xcom 1 as well) at a nice stable 1.12 version with only the occasional crash (mostly during an explosion but sometimes it's random).

Hey I was thinking during work, would anyone object if I did something similar to what Synthic Orange did with Xcom and do a Sit-Rep/Commander's Log kinda thing?

I fully approve such a thread. Do it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

It would be a crime if you didn't!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Axen wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

At this rate I predict the end of crime in G and T City in five years.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ok then, time for some legwork.
    Any good free screencap software I can DL so I can have some pretty pictures?

Edit: Ok, I grabbed Snagit and hopefully that works.

Let me finish up a few lines of code here then I'll go take back Dressen

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Axen wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

At this rate I predict the end of crime in G and T City in five years.
    If QuietlyConfident were to make another story line like the one he did for Terror from the Deep, I'd be one happy boy.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh boy. I'd forgotten how long the battles drag out in this.

I fought the most ridiculous defence of Drassen ever last night. My lead merc Vermin and Wolf sniped the hell out of the first wave of enemy soldiers (about 3 dozen of Diedrieanna's troops) with Malice, Spider and Ira perched on rooftops providing cover. The milita were just about useless and got annihilated pretty quickly. Vermin and Wolf retreated to a home in the center of town and hid inside the bathroom while Malice repositioned himself nearby to cover the entrance to the house. Ira and Spider were out of ammo so they just hid on a rooftop nearby.

The whole thing descended into farce as Die's troops surrounded the house and crowded around the entrance. Malice would pop up to distract them with harassing fire. While their attention was elsewhere, Vermin and Wolf would open up the bathroom door and shoot whoever was standing in the doorway dead, then close the door again before they'd figure it out. By the time it was over there were two dozen corpses lying piled up on the house doorstep.

ja2attack.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    You think that's bad? I had one fucker left in the hospital. Guy was in the admin area (Southwest corner with the desk, file cabs and bathrooms) and I had Ivan pop in, pop off two shots then duck behind the door. No action for a couple of tuns so I went to real-time.

We follow the trail of blood to the bathroom, and I had my heavy gunner storm the room. Guy gets interrupted and the fucker empties half a mag into the poor sod. I send Ivan in and HE gets interupted as well as the other half of the mag.

That senario along with finding my disc and the 1.13 mod made me quite playing on GT (and me closing the log).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    GT?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Good god. I'm just taking over my fourth town and I'm recalling why I gave up so many times before. Nightmarish micromanagement. :D

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gametap.
    They have the gold edition (JA2 + Unfinished Business expansion) and X Com now.

And yeah, especially with the 1.13 mod, micro management becomes a hugh bitch, especially when you have 12-18 mercs with 12-18 guns/weapons and about 5 or 6 different ammo types (just by calibur and not counting tracers, Glazers, HP, AP, etc), then there's armor, camo, med-kits, tool-kits, boom-booms, accessories...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg