As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voodoo Healthcare Economics - God is Dead, America is Dead

FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Social Entropy++
News in the U.S. has been pretty much saturated in health care debate so the conflict over the newest Israeli settlement announcement has been sort of out of the spotlight. I typed up a little summary in case you've missed it.
In February it looked like there was finally going to be talks for Peace again between Israel and the PNA President Mahmoud Abbas. Mediation by U.S. officials was agreed to and things were looking pretty positive!

Then earlier this month while Joe Biden was on a trip visiting Israel, an Israeli official announced the plan to build 1,600 new homes in East Jurusalem. Not only severely pissing off Biden but also thousands of Palestinians.

At first it looked like the U.S. might actually stand up to Netenyahu. Going as far as calling it an "insult." But since the first response they have been downplaying those comments.

In response to protests Israel closed off access to the Al-Aqsa mosque, not allowing any men under the age of 50 inside. This provoked further protests and led to a rocket attack that killed a Thai greenhouse worker.

Israel has launched several air raids into Gaza in retaliation for the rocket attacks. There are report of clashes with police in the West Bank as well, especially in Hebron. The U.S. is calling for Israel to freeze construction but Netanyahu has thus far refused.

This is a thread in which we discuss further development in the newest Israeli/Palistinian armed conflict. Or I guess we could also talk about the upcoming vote on healthcare reform this Sunday.

sig2.jpg
FirmSkater on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My theory:
    Shit is fucked

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    netenyahu is a silly goose

and isreal should've learned it's lesson from a few years ago where pretty much this same thing happened

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    News in the U.S. has been pretty much saturated in health care debate so the conflict over the newest Israeli settlement announcement has been sort of out of the spotlight. I typed up a little summary in case you've missed it.
    In February it looked like there was finally going to be talks for Peace again between Israel and the PNA President Mahmoud Abbas. Mediation by U.S. officials was agreed to and things were looking pretty positive!

Then earlier this month while Joe Biden was on a trip visiting Israel, an Israeli official announced the plan to build 1,600 new homes in East Jurusalem. Not only severely pissing off Biden but also thousands of Palestinians.

At first it looked like the U.S. might actually stand up to Netenyahu. Going as far as calling it an "insult." But since the first response they have been downplaying those comments.

In response to protests Israel closed off access to the Al-Aqsa mosque, not allowing any men under the age of 50 inside. This provoked further protests and led to a rocket attack that killed a Thai greenhouse worker.

Israel has launched several air raids into Gaza in retaliation for the rocket attacks. There are report of clashes with police in the West Bank as well, especially in Hebron. The U.S. is calling for Israel to freeze construction but Netanyahu has thus far refused.

This is a thread in where we discuss further development in the newest Israeli/Palistinian armed conflict. Or I guess we could also talk about the upcoming vote on healthcare reform this Sunday.

maybe i'm jaded but that place will NEVER have peace
    both israel and palestine are at each other's throats all the time there's no chance in hell they'll ever have peace because of the constant bickering

moreover the fact that the US has been downplaying the reprimand to israel is only going to fuel the conspiracy theorists that the US is Jewish run (which is bullshit of course) and further the conservative view that the current president cant do shit or has sold out to foreign interests

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't really follow this stuff closely but I'm always uneasy about the U.S. getting involved in everyone's business

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my girlfriend just asked

"have you ever heard of this 4 chan?"

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought this thread was going to be a PAX meetup in Israel.
    Oops.

I have a theory: whenever smart people of almost all political persuasions agree on a thing, but it isn't being done, then it's a political impossibility. Dumb assholes rule the world.

Examples: ending farm subsidies, ending the drug war and the drinking age of 21, lowering the visa cap for foreign students into the US. And the two-state solution.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Israel is worse than Apartheid-era South Africa in pretty much every way.

well in their half assed defense they've had hundreds if not thousands of years of persecution

i guess its only natural that they become uber suspicious and not trust even their own allies
    after all who'd want a repeat of the spanish exodus and the second war?

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yo teefs, i agree with those graphs, but would you mind getting some sources in that post before some wannabe-butters comes in and is all condescending to you

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    one of the few things teefs and i see eye to eye on

israel needs to get fucked in the worst way

Raneados on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and then i was the butters

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That whole part of the world is a fucking mess and it's never going to be any different

I'm not saying everyone involved shouldn't keep trying to make it better but there's always going to be a bunch of assholes out in the desert chopping each other's heads off

edit: it's bombings now but it was a metaphor, you know what I mean

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    my girlfriend just asked

"have you ever heard of this 4 chan?"

Kill her, it's the only humane thing left to do.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isrealites are the silliest of gooses

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    israel is pretty fuckin' nasty, no disagreements there.

also yeah, i'm pretty cynical on the conflict, same with just about any damn conflict in the middle east, honestly.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i am so tired do i get a hotel in israel or palestine

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    nvwtc9.gif

2zjc8ja.gif

w8ner4.gif

etc etc etc

e: wow the transparency on those is pretty poor! oh well

well its a skewed report remember what they do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefgMtXOc1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht2B9KaDAEw&NR=1

their so called "freedom fighters" dont care about the collateral damage, if kids die better for them since it angers their bethren and "reinforces" them

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That whole part of the world is a fucking mess and it's never going to be any different

nah

If it can go from the bastion of civilization to land of clusterfuck, I think it can probably reverse the process too

Tam on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Israel’s Unlawful Use of White Phosphorus in Gaza

Worth reading if you have the time.

or alternately, video here.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    netenyahu is a silly goose

oh hey apparently he grew up right near where I live

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    would it be a dick thing to say that no matter what the ratio of casualties nothing excuses anything either side does to each other?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/03/19/the_best_defense_contest_what_should_hillary_say_to_aipac
    We like you, we really do. We're just not into you so much anymore. I mean, you have a warm place in our hearts, but let's face it, so does Canada. Those of us who were around when you were born have mostly died off; the rest of us really don't know what the big attraction is.

Oh, it's not anything you've done lately that's alienated us. You and the Palestinians have been antagonizing each other for as long as anyone can remember. Neither of you can get past your various historical grievances with each other. And no matter how much we try to help you patch things up, something always goes awry and we're right back to where we started. Meanwhile, our other friends (yes, we have other friends) continue to get annoyed, anxious, indignant -- take your pick -- just because we're getting involved in your conflicts in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all your fault. We've created enough of our own bad blood with some of your neighbors. But, it's weird, your intransigence seems to reflect on us. Yes, the Palestinians are crazy and inept but their insanity and incompetence don't reflect on any of their friends. It's not fair, but there it is.

Listen, I know this may be difficult to hear, but I think we should see other countries for a while. Hey, consider how much freer you will be. Want to build settlements in East Jerusalem? Go for it! Invade Gaza? Be our guest! Evict Palestinians from the West Bank? Knock yourselves out!

We'll stay on the sidelines -- no -- in the bleachers, and sit quietly. Occasionally we'll tsk tsk about the continuing violence and wish that the affected parties can someday get along. Oh, and the three billion we give you every year? Uh, we could really use that right now. We hope you understand.

Also understand, we're still your friend, OK? We're just not going steady anymore.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Psych, you've committed one of the classic blunders: arguing a point with Teefs

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

well its a skewed report remember what they do

stuff

their so called "freedom fighters" dont care about the collateral damage, if kids die better for them since it angers their bethren and "reinforces" them

yeah sure nobody likes those hamas guys

but still

israel a dick

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    would it be a dick thing to say that no matter what the ratio of casualties nothing excuses anything either side does to each other?

No that's not a dick thing, both sides need to cease and desist immediately.

I'd like to actually see that one day.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pharezon wrote: »
    http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/03/19/the_best_defense_contest_what_should_hillary_say_to_aipac
    We like you, we really do. We're just not into you so much anymore. I mean, you have a warm place in our hearts, but let's face it, so does Canada. Those of us who were around when you were born have mostly died off; the rest of us really don't know what the big attraction is.

Oh, it's not anything you've done lately that's alienated us. You and the Palestinians have been antagonizing each other for as long as anyone can remember. Neither of you can get past your various historical grievances with each other. And no matter how much we try to help you patch things up, something always goes awry and we're right back to where we started. Meanwhile, our other friends (yes, we have other friends) continue to get annoyed, anxious, indignant -- take your pick -- just because we're getting involved in your conflicts in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all your fault. We've created enough of our own bad blood with some of your neighbors. But, it's weird, your intransigence seems to reflect on us. Yes, the Palestinians are crazy and inept but their insanity and incompetence don't reflect on any of their friends. It's not fair, but there it is.

Listen, I know this may be difficult to hear, but I think we should see other countries for a while. Hey, consider how much freer you will be. Want to build settlements in East Jerusalem? Go for it! Invade Gaza? Be our guest! Evict Palestinians from the West Bank? Knock yourselves out!

We'll stay on the sidelines -- no -- in the bleachers, and sit quietly. Occasionally we'll tsk tsk about the continuing violence and wish that the affected parties can someday get along. Oh, and the three billion we give you every year? Uh, we could really use that right now. We hope you understand.

Also understand, we're still your friend, OK? We're just not going steady anymore.

all is forgive pearsun

Nuzak on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Both sides are dicks. It's pretty simple. One dick just has bigger guns.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    I don't really follow this stuff closely but I'm always uneasy about the U.S. getting involved in everyone's business

With the amount of support the US provides to Israel I think it's safe to say that we are already "in their business."

(unless that's what you meant)

Mitten on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also for anybody interested I highly recommend watching the documentary To Shoot an Elephant
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Shoot_an_Elephant

Which is about last years Gaza War

Watch for free here:
    http://dotsub.com/view/55379d14-0e87-45ad-9bf3-7a8550b4de0d

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

No that's not a dick thing, both sides need to cease and desist immediately.

I'd like to actually see that one day.

if fucking only they could simply let them function in peace, eh? but the world never allows things to be that simple.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

One dick is backed by all major world powers and can fuck the other 'dick' with impunity.

Good point. The fucked dick is still a dick. And has done its share of fucking.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I do not know much about the israel and palestine stuff beyond the basics

I suspect that there is a lot of material there that would make me literally angry with rage

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

One dick is backed by all major world powers and can fuck the other 'dick' with impunity.

Yes well those major world powers should stop backing that dick and let both dicks fuck each other until they're completely tired of fucking each other.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Yes well those major world powers should stop backing that dick and let both dicks fuck each other until they're completely tired of fucking each other.

That will never happen.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Good point. The fucked dick is still a dick. And has done its share of fucking.

Do you hold back the big guy with the brass knuckles first or the small guy without them?

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.