As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meringues suck.

LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A.

I have attempted to make a meringue twice. Each time, my meringues have:

a) not peaked
b) not cooked properly
and c) been absolutely nasty.

I'm a very amateur baker, and I would like to know how the heck to make these things. I have surfed the internet but it hasn't helped. :x

Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
LemmingHead on

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They are pretty straight forward... What type of Meringue are you making and what for?

If it is the normal (French?) meringue, just make sure you are not getting ANY yolk in there, or it will not work.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having super fresh eggs and the whites at room temperature helps, also I pity da foo' who whisks by hand (seriously, at least a hand mixer)

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »
    They are pretty straight forward... What type of Meringue are you making and what for?

If it is the normal (French?) meringue, just make sure you are not getting ANY yolk in there, or it will not work.
    I'm making meringue for the top of a pie. It didn't go well.

Are the rules different for different meringues? What other meringues are there?

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Having super fresh eggs and the whites at room temperature helps, also I pity da foo' who whisks by hand (seriously, at least a hand mixer)

This.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

I'm making meringue for the top of a pie. It didn't go well.

Are the rules different for different meringues? What other meringues are there?

Yeah, there are three I think (I hate baking and have not done it since Culinary school). If you are cooking the meringue then a French one is fine. The others tend to be used when they won't be fully cooked through.

The other tips given here are really good too, fresh eggs, room temp, using a mixer.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Make sure you're not A) letting any speck of egg yolk into the whites, and B) using a plastic bowl (the plastic acts the same way yolks do, keeps the whites from beating properly). Use a metal or glass bowl.

Also a tiny pinch of cream of tartar helps the whites stabilize, but it's not essential.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Make sure you're not A) letting any speck of egg yolk into the whites, and B) using a plastic bowl (the plastic acts the same way yolks do, keeps the whites from beating properly). Use a metal or glass bowl.

Also a tiny pinch of cream of tartar helps the whites stabilize, but it's not essential.
    Hmm, I'll try this the next time I make a meringue.

How much cream of tartar is enough?

And hi Neville. :D

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hiya!
    A pinch.. I.e. a very small amount... less than 1/4 of a teaspoon.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the hard rule is 1/8 tsp cream of tartar for every 2 egg whites, but if you have an odd number then it won't ruin it if you just estimate 1/16 for the last one.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whisking by hand proves your manhood.
    I'd say it's maybe worth a shot once, but having done it myself, I can't really recommend it.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can also try adding in a tiny bit of water as well, it helps it form better.

KalTorak is right about the bowl though.

Also check that you are using the right sugar?

Blake T on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i followed this website's recipe/tutorial and got perfect meringues first time, it helped a lot

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-meringue

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »
    I'd say it's maybe worth a shot once, but having done it myself, I can't really recommend it.

I made cheesecakes BY HAND for the first year and a half.
    So I'm a super-man.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    neville wrote: »

So I'm a super-man.

No you didn't, that's impossible!

Even Beowulf wouldn't dare attempt a hand-made cheesecake!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So I'm a super-man.

True, but Beowulf preferred a nice cherry pie.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So I'm a super-man.

You are truly more manly that I my dear <3

So OP, which recipe for meringue were you following? A teeny bit of cream of tartar will definitely help the whites whip up, but you mentioned it tasted bad. Was your bowl really clean and/or plastic, because egg whites will definitely pull flavor out of porous or badly cleaned surfaces.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So OP, which recipe for meringue were you following? A teeny bit of cream of tartar will definitely help the whites whip up, but you mentioned it tasted bad. Was your bowl really clean and/or plastic, because egg whites will definitely pull flavor out of porous or badly cleaned surfaces.
    It was plastic. :P I used two different recipes that I don't have on hand at the moment, but one of them called for adding water to 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and boiling. It... didn't work. I didn't add too much cream of tartar, either, so it was probably the bowl and/or the weird sugar thing.

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm not sure what egg-sactly went wrong, but I'm sure I can whip it into shape. Hopefully the problems won't boo-meringue back, but if they do, albumen-tal. Tar-tar! :D

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Brown sugar? Boiling? What? o_O

Try this: Meringue

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Brown sugar? Boiling? What? o_O

Try this: Meringue

Sounds like he was trying to make Italian Meringue, which is unnecessary if you are baking it.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah, gotcha, sort of like when you make traditional buttercream

Usagi on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, if you want a slightly chewy texture, add a tsp of cornflour to the egg whites after they have reached soft peak and after you've added the icing sugar. then add 3-4 drops of vinegar. Cook in a very cool oven.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also - avoid getting oil in the meringue. Even a small drop will completely ruin it. Thoroughly clean everything you're going to use to make the meringue with soapy water immediately before you use it, and dry it with a clean towel. Any oil leftover on the surfaces of whisks, bowls, etc, will keep your meringue from forming, and oil LOVES to hang out on surfaces for a long time.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So I'm a super-man.

Sure I did. It was worth it.
    It wasn't actually as much work as, say, making whipped cream by hand, which I also have done.
    But I loooove making cheesecakes.
    Then I upgraded to a hand mixer, and recently got a full stand mixer from my parents; it is the best thing ever :D

So I'm a super-man.

<3<3<3
    Sorry I missed you. Next time for sure though! I owe you!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fuck making whipped cream by hand.

Or people who think that hollandaise actually needs to have the clarified butter trickled in.

Comahawk on