As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tilapia

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm not really used to cooking fish or seafood at all, but the grocery had a decent price for some tomato basil encrusted tilapia, so I figured I'd pick some up.

I have no idea how to cook it. Any ideas?

I have: veggies, rice, tilapia.

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So I'm not really used to cooking fish or seafood at all, but the grocery had a decent price for some tomato basil encrusted tilapia, so I figured I'd pick some up.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, serve over rice with steamed veggies on the side.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    well it's already seasoned: (copied and pasted from somewhere because it was easier than typing myself.) Using just a bit of olive oil and making sure to preheat the pan are the two tips for a perfectly sauteed piece of fish. Also remember to let the fish cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes to develop a nice crust. Be sure not to crowd the fish; cook it in batches rather than overcrowd the pan. The best way to saute thin fillets is to cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, then turn, cook for another minute or two, then remove the pan from heat and let the residual heat cook the fish. Cook thick fillets 5-6 minutes on the first side, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes longer.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Make some baked rice (or cook it however you like it), then cook the tilapia "en papillote". Put the fish on some tin foil, add a little liquid (lemon juice, broth, wine), add a couple vegetables, and put another layer of foil over it. Crimp the edges and throw it in the oven.
    Or, simply saute the vegetables and the fish.
    Does the tomato basil crust have any bread crumbs in it? If so, the foil method may make it gross.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    . wrote: »
    Make some baked rice (or cook it however you like it), then cook the tilapia "en papillote". Put the fish on some tin foil, add a little liquid (lemon juice, broth, wine), add a couple vegetables, and put another layer of foil over it. Crimp the edges and throw it in the oven.
    Or, simply saute the vegetables and the fish.
    Does the tomato basil crust have any bread crumbs in it? If so, the foil method may make it gross.

It is crumbed, yes.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Then bake it without wrapping it up, definitely. The steam will make the bread crumbs soggy and nasty.

. on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, serve over rice with steamed veggies on the side.

This is how I cook my prepared Tilapia.

Olive oil to coat the bottom of a glass dish and in the oven for about half an hour.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Then bake it without wrapping it up, definitely. The steam will make the bread crumbs soggy and nasty.

Cool.

Should I bake vegetables next to it, or steam those on the side along with some rice?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't know. What vegetables are you using? Carrots, brussel sprouts, fresh broccoli, root vegetables can all be roasted fantastically. They would take a little longer than your fish, but if you have a big enough oven, then can eventually be put side by side. If we are talking peppers, frozen broccoli, peas, green beans, they can be quickly sauteed right before serving the fish. For roasting, just use some olive oil, salt and pepper.
    I think I have had the type of tilapia you are talking about and the breading has sort of a strong flavor. I wouldn't make too many competing flavors when making the veggies or rice.

. on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't know. What vegetables are you using? Carrots, brussel sprouts, fresh broccoli, root vegetables can all be roasted fantastically. They would take a little longer than your fish, but if you have a big enough oven, then can eventually be put side by side. If we are talking peppers, frozen broccoli, peas, green beans, they can be quickly sauteed right before serving the fish. For roasting, just use some olive oil, salt and pepper.
    I think I have had the type of tilapia you are talking about and the breading has sort of a strong flavor. I wouldn't make too many competing flavors when making the veggies or rice.

Hmm, I've only got frozen veggies. Do they not bake well because of the moisture?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I saw a food network thing on tilapia today I want to try soon. You put some flower and seafood seasoning in a cake pan, lightly coat each side, then just pan fry it in some oil

blakfeld on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Parchment baked tilapia I make for a dinner party a little while ago

Another method - breading and frying it

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Six wrote: »
    Parchment baked tilapia I make for a dinner party a little while ago

AKA: Red Lobster's Fish in a Bag.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I grill mine with just pepper. Served with rice it's oh so delicious.

RocketSauce on