Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Trade in PS2, Get a PS3 for 100 Dollars less.

1356

Posts

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez, shut the fuck up. This thread is to notify people that EBStop has a trade in deal on PS3s. If you don't want your PS2 anymore, but you do want a PS3, you can get $100 credit, which is more than they'd give you for it in the first place.

    If you have a fucking problem with this, lock yourself into your parents basement and start writing angry complaint letters, start an internet petition, or become a revolutionary economist and develop a system where possessions somehow retain their initial value in a capitalist society regardless of the fact that they are no longer in "brand new" condition. Whatever you need to do to release your nerdrage over the man, fine. Just stop shitting on this thread.

    Hey, Monoxide, why don't you get the fuck out of here yourself. You don't ever contribute anything intelligent, important, or useful to this forum, so maybe you should go back to masturbating in your textbooks or whatever it is you do, and leave intelligent discussions to people that occasionally leave the fucking house and have some moderate ability to converse and debate, as I know Dashui and Projectmayhem do. I've never seen you say anything correct or on point, at least not in the last year or so, so kindly fuck the hell off or contribute to the thread. The only person shitting on it is you, with your off-topic posts. Go look in The Monkey Den...specifically calling someone an "idiot" is viewed by most intelligent moderators as off-topic posting, and this is an on-topic forum.

    Also, I'm not the only person arguing this, so get the fuck out of my face you worthless piece of donkey shit. This IS what the thread is about now.

    steam_sig.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez. You seem to think that this deal is evil in all forms and that by simply doing it you give your soul away. Lots of other people see no problem with trading something in that they will never use again. The ebay link was to show that you can sell your ps2 on ebay and get about 30-50$ or to eb/gs and get 100$

    So, is that your roundabout way of agreeing that you are only saving $65-$50 and not $100? I can only assume that you are finally agreeing to that, but your last post is a little vague.

    I'm also going to address this to you: If you received a PS3 as a gift, would you just throw your PS2 in the trash? Or would you try to sell it or trade it in toward a PS3 game? I mean, really, the argument that a PS2 has no value because you have a PS3 is absolutely absurd.


    I am done after this I think.

    If I got a ps3 as a gift while owning a ps2, I would then have no use for the ps2. So, I would take it down to gamestop/eb and trade it in for some credit so I could get something else.

    And your value thing. If I had a comic worth 123905205970$, it is only actually worth that if someone is willing to buy it for that much. So, while technically my ps2's parts may be worth more than X amount, point is that I wont find someone to pay that amount for it.

    Same thing, different systems. As soon as I had the money for a 360, I traded in my xbox because I knew I wouldnt use it any more (sad days for Phantom Dust though). It lowered the price about 60$ from what I can recall, I am happy with that.

    So, if I was going to go get a ps3 tomorrow, I dont see why I wouldnt take advantage of this promotion. But this is what I would do. I can tell you hold on to all of your systems, fine, thats ok. You need to understand that not everyone does and the ability to trade them in is a welcome idea.

    To me, trading something in I will never use again is like free money. Sure, at one point I paid X amount for it, but if it isn't getting use and won't be getting use then to me, I might as well sell it because it's not worth it to me to keep it. If you have anything else you want me to respond to, just send me a pm.

  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez, shut the fuck up. This thread is to notify people that EBStop has a trade in deal on PS3s. If you don't want your PS2 anymore, but you do want a PS3, you can get $100 credit, which is more than they'd give you for it in the first place.

    If you have a fucking problem with this, lock yourself into your parents basement and start writing angry complaint letters, start an internet petition, or become a revolutionary economist and develop a system where possessions somehow retain their initial value in a capitalist society regardless of the fact that they are no longer in "brand new" condition. Whatever you need to do to release your nerdrage over the man, fine. Just stop shitting on this thread.

    Hey, Monoxide, why don't you get the fuck out of here yourself. You don't ever contribute anything intelligent, important, or useful to this forum, so maybe you should go back to masturbating in your textbooks or whatever it is you do, and leave intelligent discussions to people that occasionally leave the fucking house and have some moderate ability to converse and debate, as I know Dashui and Projectmayhem do. I've never seen you say anything correct or on point, at least not in the last year or so, so kindly fuck the hell off or contribute to the thread. The only person shitting on it is you, with your off-topic posts. Go look in The Monkey Den...specifically calling someone an "idiot" is viewed by most intelligent moderators as off-topic posting, and this is an on-topic forum.

    Also, I'm not the only person arguing this, so get the fuck out of my face you worthless piece of donkey shit. This IS what the thread is about now.

    look you fucking fags you'd better sotp this shit RIGHT NOW...you do NOT want to make an EMEMY out of Monoxide...my bro works at MIT and if you keep this bullshit up I will get him to HACK your pcs...if you keep this up you will find that your internet doesn't work, your bank accounts are gone, your drivers license won't work and your precious penny arcade website will be melted down...SO DON'T FUCK WITH ME OKAY? It's not in your best interest...retarts

  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez. You seem to think that this deal is evil in all forms and that by simply doing it you give your soul away. Lots of other people see no problem with trading something in that they will never use again. The ebay link was to show that you can sell your ps2 on ebay and get about 30-50$ or to eb/gs and get 100$

    So, is that your roundabout way of agreeing that you are only saving $65-$50 and not $100? I can only assume that you are finally agreeing to that, but your last post is a little vague.

    I'm also going to address this to you: If you received a PS3 as a gift, would you just throw your PS2 in the trash? Or would you try to sell it or trade it in toward a PS3 game? I mean, really, the argument that a PS2 has no value because you have a PS3 is absolutely absurd.


    I am done after this I think.

    If I got a ps3 as a gift while owning a ps2, I would then have no use for the ps2. So, I would take it down to gamestop/eb and trade it in for some credit so I could get something else.

    And your value thing. If I had a comic worth 123905205970$, it is only actually worth that if someone is willing to buy it for that much. So, while technically my ps2's parts may be worth more than X amount, point is that I wont find someone to pay that amount for it.

    Same thing, different systems. As soon as I had the money for a 360, I traded in my xbox because I knew I wouldnt use it any more (sad days for Phantom Dust though). It lowered the price about 60$ from what I can recall, I am happy with that.

    So, if I was going to go get a ps3 tomorrow, I dont see why I wouldnt take advantage of this promotion. But this is what I would do. I can tell you hold on to all of your systems, fine, thats ok. You need to understand that not everyone does and the ability to trade them in is a welcome idea.

    To me, trading something in I will never use again is like free money. Sure, at one point I paid X amount for it, but if it isn't getting use and won't be getting use then to me, I might as well sell it because it's not worth it to me to keep it. If you have anything else you want me to respond to, just send me a pm.

    but that doesn't make sense. the only reason you won't use it again, is because you're trading it in. Were you not to trade it in...presumably, you will continue to use it.
    > PS2 has value
    > not a savings

  • CriptCript Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez, shut the fuck up. This thread is to notify people that EBStop has a trade in deal on PS3s. If you don't want your PS2 anymore, but you do want a PS3, you can get $100 credit, which is more than they'd give you for it in the first place.

    If you have a fucking problem with this, lock yourself into your parents basement and start writing angry complaint letters, start an internet petition, or become a revolutionary economist and develop a system where possessions somehow retain their initial value in a capitalist society regardless of the fact that they are no longer in "brand new" condition. Whatever you need to do to release your nerdrage over the man, fine. Just stop shitting on this thread.

    Hey, Monoxide, why don't you get the fuck out of here yourself. You don't ever contribute anything intelligent, important, or useful to this forum, so maybe you should go back to masturbating in your textbooks or whatever it is you do, and leave intelligent discussions to people that occasionally leave the fucking house and have some moderate ability to converse and debate, as I know Dashui and Projectmayhem do. I've never seen you say anything correct or on point, at least not in the last year or so, so kindly fuck the hell off or contribute to the thread. The only person shitting on it is you, with your off-topic posts. Go look in The Monkey Den...specifically calling someone an "idiot" is viewed by most intelligent moderators as off-topic posting, and this is an on-topic forum.

    Also, I'm not the only person arguing this, so get the fuck out of my face you worthless piece of donkey shit. This IS what the thread is about now.

    look you fucking fags you'd better sotp this shit RIGHT NOW...you do NOT want to make an EMEMY out of Monoxide...my bro works at MIT and if you keep this bullshit up I will get him to HACK your pcs...if you keep this up you will find that your internet doesn't work, your bank accounts are gone, your drivers license won't work and your precious penny arcade website will be melted down...SO DON'T FUCK WITH ME OKAY? It's not in your best interest...retarts

    lol, omg hax!

    Dirty+RNA.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you wont use it after getting a ps3 then yes, it is valueless.

    Man, I value the hours I've put into FFXII at the very least worth 10 bucks or so. As someone pointed out earlier, you can kiss those save files goodbye. If someone offered to trade me a blank memory card and $20 for my card, I'd tell them to die in a fire.

    jk0Btsj.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A PS2 is worth keeping, if only as a "Guitar Hero playing machine."

    camo_sig.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    If you wont use it after getting a ps3 then yes, it is valueless.

    Man, I value the hours I've put into FFXII at the very least worth 10 bucks or so. As someone pointed out earlier, you can kiss those save files goodbye. If someone offered to trade me a blank memory card and $20 for my card, I'd tell them to die in a fire.
    I have three ps2 cards, I can just transfer what I want to a different card.

    I wish I could find that thing that let you transfer saves to your pc. That thing is hot.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vegan wrote:
    A PS2 is worth keeping, if only as a "Guitar Hero playing machine."
    dingdingding we have a winner.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why wrote:
    Vegan wrote:
    A PS2 is worth keeping, if only as a "Guitar Hero playing machine."
    dingdingding we have a winner.
    True true. But what about when it hits the 360, WHAT THEN?!?! THUNDER!

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why wrote:
    Vegan wrote:
    A PS2 is worth keeping, if only as a "Guitar Hero playing machine."
    dingdingding we have a winner.
    True true. But what about when it hits the 360, WHAT THEN?!?! THUNDER!
    Frau Blucher?

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The 360 is only getting Guitar Hero II, though. ;-)

    steam_sig.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    But the 360's Guitar Hero 2 has a better songlist than the ps2 version.

  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why wrote:
    why wrote:
    Vegan wrote:
    A PS2 is worth keeping, if only as a "Guitar Hero playing machine."
    dingdingding we have a winner.
    True true. But what about when it hits the 360, WHAT THEN?!?! THUNDER!
    Frau Blucher?
    The first image from GIS is scary.

    Quite true Drez, but, well, I want to play the My Chemical Romance song.

  • _TROLL__TROLL_ Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    If you wont use it after getting a ps3 then yes, it is valueless.

    Man, I value the hours I've put into FFXII at the very least worth 10 bucks or so. As someone pointed out earlier, you can kiss those save files goodbye. If someone offered to trade me a blank memory card and $20 for my card, I'd tell them to die in a fire.
    I have three ps2 cards, I can just transfer what I want to a different card.

    I wish I could find that thing that let you transfer saves to your pc. That thing is hot.

    Also the ad only says ".. must include Controller, AV Cable & power cord."

    So you can keep your mem card(s).

    _TROLL_.png
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhhh, besides the memory card thing ( which is silly, the console doesn't even come with a memory card to begin with) it sounds like a good deal.

    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?

    They're probably amping up to sell some sort of used PS2 bundle that includes two controllers and a memory card. Interesting idea.

    And, for all the folks bitching about how much they paid for their PS2 when they bought it, it's called depreciation. You may have paid 350+ for your brand new system, but unless you find some one who is willing to pay that for it now, it is no longer worth that.

    georgersig.jpg
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anything that uses a special controller can't be played on the PS3 currently, correct?

    That means you can't play any bemani games (if you import), and DDR, beatmania, and guitar hero american.

    Also, turning in an item isn't saving money. It's a trade. Saying a PS2 is valueless isn't true. If you turn it in for $100, then the ps2 was worth $100.

    If you can freely throw away your ps2, mc, and controller, then I suppose this is a good trade for you.

    But it isn't saving money. It's a trade.

  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User
    edited January 2007
    How much are new PS2s, like in retail? More than $100?

    I'll bet you could find on on Ebay for less regardless.

    This whole discussion is retarded. 100 dollars off a PS3 in exchange for a PS2, when the new console is backwards compatible, sounds like a good deal to me.

    I mean this offer is only for people who are intending to buy a PS3 anyways, as even $500 is a lot of money and still, in my opinion, way overpriced.

    But I mean what is there to discuss? It sounds like a pretty good offer. I mean for fucks sake, trade in your PS2 and buy a new one for cheaper.

    He seems to project beyond himself, exerting a kind of Reggie Field that dogs and many birds find unpleasant. Hearing a man speak with this much drive and confidence about an imaginary plumber is sort of enthralling.
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...
    You'd be crazy to assume they'd give away their GC.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • IcewingIcewing Registered User
    edited January 2007
    _TROLL_ wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:
    If you wont use it after getting a ps3 then yes, it is valueless.

    Man, I value the hours I've put into FFXII at the very least worth 10 bucks or so. As someone pointed out earlier, you can kiss those save files goodbye. If someone offered to trade me a blank memory card and $20 for my card, I'd tell them to die in a fire.
    I have three ps2 cards, I can just transfer what I want to a different card.

    I wish I could find that thing that let you transfer saves to your pc. That thing is hot.

    Also the ad only says ".. must include Controller, AV Cable & power cord."

    So you can keep your mem card(s).

    This is incorrect. It says in blue letters that you have to include 1 8MB Memory Card.

    8cardzo6.png

  • _TROLL__TROLL_ Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Icewing wrote:
    _TROLL_ wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:
    If you wont use it after getting a ps3 then yes, it is valueless.

    Man, I value the hours I've put into FFXII at the very least worth 10 bucks or so. As someone pointed out earlier, you can kiss those save files goodbye. If someone offered to trade me a blank memory card and $20 for my card, I'd tell them to die in a fire.
    I have three ps2 cards, I can just transfer what I want to a different card.

    I wish I could find that thing that let you transfer saves to your pc. That thing is hot.

    Also the ad only says ".. must include Controller, AV Cable & power cord."

    So you can keep your mem card(s).

    And thats where I would get embarrassed in the store. I spent my time concentrating on the fine print and not on the actual ad. My bad.

    This is incorrect. It says in big blue letters that you have to include 1 8MB Memory Card.

    8cardzo6.png

    _TROLL_.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    They're probably amping up to sell some sort of used PS2 bundle that includes two controllers and a memory card. Interesting idea.

    I find it interesting that they're doing this now, since the PS3 is starting to hit market saturation. Are they expecting more medium-term demand for used PS2s than new PS3s?

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why wrote:
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...
    You'd be crazy to assume they'd give away their GC.
    If it was the GC and Wii instead of the PS2 and PS3, it would actually be a good deal considering the that you can buy a used gamecube with extra controllers and a memory card for a song.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How much are new PS2s, like in retail? More than $100?

    I'll bet you could find on on Ebay for less regardless.

    This whole discussion is retarded. 100 dollars off a PS3 in exchange for a PS2, when the new console is backwards compatible, sounds like a good deal to me.

    I mean this offer is only for people who are intending to buy a PS3 anyways, as even $500 is a lot of money and still, in my opinion, way overpriced.

    But I mean what is there to discuss? It sounds like a pretty good offer. I mean for fucks sake, trade in your PS2 and buy a new one for cheaper.

    Because of what Pikapuff just said. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad trade. That depends on your personal value. I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it. You are expected to hand in more than just $400/$500 dollars. Whether that's a PS2 + memory card + extra controller or if they are asking for a tuna sandwich, it's still not a $100 save. Let's say they advertised that you could trade in a tuna sandwich to save $100. That's still disingenuous. You are really saving $100 minus the cost of the tuna sandwich.

    The PS2 has market value, even though it has depreciated. Therefore "save $100" is dishonest.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Titmouse wrote:
    why wrote:
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...
    You'd be crazy to assume they'd give away their GC.
    If it was the GC and Wii instead of the PS2 and PS3, it would actually be a good deal considering the that you can buy a used gamecube with extra controllers and a memory card for a song.
    I still wouldn't because I actually use the Gameboy Player, but I'm probably in a minority there.

    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...

    Just to play devil's advocate...

    The Wii IS a gamecube, in some ways. Giving up your GC, but getting a Wii, only, means that you lose a couple of peripheral features, namely the minor loss of the broadband adapter, and the slightly major loss of the gameboy player. The former was necessary for some games, but very rarely used, and the later saw wider use, but it's loss will not make any GC games any less playable, and all gameboy games are still playable on gameboys. The Wii can play any gamecube game, and use any gamecube controller and memeroy card.

    The PS3 CANNOT play every game that the PS2 does, and cannot use the memory cards or controllers AT ALL without some kind of adapter that costs extra.

    georgersig.jpg
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User
    edited January 2007
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.

    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...
    then it would be a moot point because they wouldnt have any wiis in stock..it looks to me like they're just getting desperate to push some ps3s at this point

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.
    Ewwww. It looks much worse when you aren't watching the problem on a smaller and blurrier youtube video.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Titmouse wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.
    Ewwww. It looks much worse when you aren't watching the problem on a smaller and blurrier youtube video.
    That's pretty bad. It's probably less noticeable in motion, but it's very bad nonetheless.

    steam_sig.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Titmouse wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.
    Ewwww. It looks much worse when you aren't watching the problem on a smaller and blurrier youtube video.

    Keep in mind that this only happens on a handful of games, and will be fixed in the future. Most of them are great games that you'd want to work with backwards compatibility, but of all of the reasons not to buy a PS3, this isn't the worst.

  • IcewingIcewing Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Titmouse wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.
    Ewwww. It looks much worse when you aren't watching the problem on a smaller and blurrier youtube video.
    That's pretty bad. It's probably less noticeable in motion, but it's very bad nonetheless.

    Wouldn't it look worse in motion, because all the jaggies would be constantly shifting around, hence calling one's attention to them more easily?

  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    How much are new PS2s, like in retail? More than $100?

    I'll bet you could find on on Ebay for less regardless.

    This whole discussion is retarded. 100 dollars off a PS3 in exchange for a PS2, when the new console is backwards compatible, sounds like a good deal to me.

    I mean this offer is only for people who are intending to buy a PS3 anyways, as even $500 is a lot of money and still, in my opinion, way overpriced.

    But I mean what is there to discuss? It sounds like a pretty good offer. I mean for fucks sake, trade in your PS2 and buy a new one for cheaper.

    Because of what Pikapuff just said. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad trade. That depends on your personal value. I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it. You are expected to hand in more than just $400/$500 dollars. Whether that's a PS2 + memory card + extra controller or if they are asking for a tuna sandwich, it's still not a $100 save. Let's say they advertised that you could trade in a tuna sandwich to save $100. That's still disingenuous. You are really saving $100 minus the cost of the tuna sandwich.

    The PS2 has market value, even though it has depreciated. Therefore "save $100" is dishonest.

    Well you still are saving money.

    It would be 100 minus whatever you could flog your PS2 for on ebay, which may be something like 20 dollars.

    Still not a lot, but still a saving.

    Regardless, 20 dollars is a drop in the ocean when buying a PS3.

    He seems to project beyond himself, exerting a kind of Reggie Field that dogs and many birds find unpleasant. Hearing a man speak with this much drive and confidence about an imaginary plumber is sort of enthralling.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icewing wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Titmouse wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    why wrote:
    Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

    Exactly. Many PS2 games have serious graphical corruption on the PS3.
    Ewwww. It looks much worse when you aren't watching the problem on a smaller and blurrier youtube video.
    That's pretty bad. It's probably less noticeable in motion, but it's very bad nonetheless.

    Wouldn't it look worse in motion, because all the jaggies would be constantly shifting around, hence calling one's attention to them more easily?

    Games look fine to me, even more so in motion. There's a bit of pixelation, but it's not game breaking and, as I just said, when in motion I didn't seem to really notice it that much. I tried MGS3, FF12, Budokai Tenkaichi 2, and Valkyrie Profile 2, all of which I consider playable. I did't even see any issues with VP2.

    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

    steam_sig.png
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Keep in mind that this only happens on a handful of games, and will be fixed in the future. Most of them are great games that you'd want to work with backwards compatibility, but of all of the reasons not to buy a PS3, this isn't the biggest problem.

    It happens with all games that don't support progressive scan. Quite a few AAA titles are 480i only, and a hell of a lot of less prominent games lack support for 480p as well. I'd say that this affects more than just a handful of games.

    Sony are refusing to acknowledge the problem, so I'm not sure if it will be fixed any time soon. Also, it is hard to say whether it can be fixed with a firmware update. One would assume it can, but nobody knows for sure.

    It's certainly not a deal-breaker for the PS3. But it is definitely a reason to keep your PS2 for now.

    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Keep in mind that this only happens on a handful of games, and will be fixed in the future. Most of them are great games that you'd want to work with backwards compatibility, but of all of the reasons not to buy a PS3, this isn't the biggest problem.

    It happens with all games that don't support progressive scan. Quite a few AAA titles are 480i only, and a hell of a lot of less prominent games lack support for 480p as well. I'd say that this affects more than just a handful of games.

    Sony are refusing to acknowledge the problem, so I'm not sure if it will be fixed any time soon. Also, it is hard to say whether it can be fixed with a firmware update. One would assume it can, but nobody knows for sure.

    It's certainly not a deal-breaker for the PS3. But it is definitely a reason to keep your PS2 for now.

    That site linked above seems to think a firmware update can fix this, but who knows?

    steam_sig.png
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it.

    Actually, if you're going to be a literalist douchebag about the whole thing-- and you're raising that to a fracking art form right now-- $100 is precisely what you're saving. If I were to go for this deal, I would walk out of the store with one hundred more dollars of American money in my pocket than I would have if I'd just bought a PS3.

    Granted, I'd be out a PS2 and some other stuff. But the dollars would still be there.

    For somebody who claimed earlier that somebody else should stop "jerking off in their textbooks" or something like that, you're doing an awfully fine job of missing-the-point academics here.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it.

    Actually, if you're going to be a literalist douchebag about the whole thing-- and you're raising that to a fracking art form right now-- $100 is precisely what you're saving. If I were to go for this deal, I would walk out of the store with one hundred more dollars of American money in my pocket than I would have if I'd just bought a PS3.

    Granted, I'd be out a PS2 and some other stuff. But the dollars would still be there.

    For somebody who claimed earlier that somebody else should stop "jerking off in their textbooks" or something like that, you're doing an awfully fine job of missing-the-point academics here.

    Thank you. I've always considered myself an artiste.

    Can I ask why you would wander into EB with an extra one hundred dollars in your pocket if you knew it wasn't necessary to purchase the item?

    steam_sig.png
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it.

    Actually, if you're going to be a literalist douchebag about the whole thing-- and you're raising that to a fracking art form right now-- $100 is precisely what you're saving. If I were to go for this deal, I would walk out of the store with one hundred more dollars of American money in my pocket than I would have if I'd just bought a PS3.

    Granted, I'd be out a PS2 and some other stuff. But the dollars would still be there.

    For somebody who claimed earlier that somebody else should stop "jerking off in their textbooks" or something like that, you're doing an awfully fine job of missing-the-point academics here.

    Thank you. I've always considered myself an artiste.

    Can I ask why you would wander into EB with an extra one hundred dollars in your pocket if you knew it wasn't necessary to purchase the item?

    That's just how I roll.

    Idiot.

Sign In or Register to comment.