As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trade in PS2, Get a PS3 for 100 Dollars less.

• MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    That site linked above seems to think a firmware update can fix this, but who knows?

That's right. Nobody knows except Sony's engineers. This is the type of thing that should be fixable by a firmware update, but it all depends on how the PS3's graphial output is done. It could all be done in the GPU, in which case it may be impossible to fix.

A lot of people thought the lack of 720p->1080p scaler support in the PS3 would be fixed in a firmware update too, but it is seeming less and less likely as time goes by.

Sony needs to release a statement on what they are going to do about these issues soon. At the moment there is just too much uncertainty about these problems.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I, and others, are saying that the ad is a big, fat lie because you aren't actually saving $100 no matter how you cut it.

Actually, if you're going to be a literalist douchebag about the whole thing-- and you're raising that to a fracking art form right now-- $100 is precisely what you're saving. If I were to go for this deal, I would walk out of the store with one hundred more dollars of American money in my pocket than I would have if I'd just bought a PS3.

Granted, I'd be out a PS2 and some other stuff. But the dollars would still be there.

For somebody who claimed earlier that somebody else should stop "jerking off in their textbooks" or something like that, you're doing an awfully fine job of missing-the-point academics here.

Thank you. I've always considered myself an artiste.

Can I ask why you would wander into EB with an extra one hundred dollars in your pocket if you knew it wasn't necessary to purchase the item?

That's just how I roll.

Idiot.

Apparently you roll like an idiot, yes.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Keep in mind that this only happens on a handful of games, and will be fixed in the future. Most of them are great games that you'd want to work with backwards compatibility, but of all of the reasons not to buy a PS3, this isn't the biggest problem.

It happens with all games that don't support progressive scan. Quite a few AAA titles are 480i only, and a hell of a lot of less prominent games lack support for 480p as well. I'd say that this affects more than just a handful of games.

Sony are refusing to acknowledge the problem, so I'm not sure if it will be fixed any time soon. Also, it is hard to say whether it can be fixed with a firmware update. One would assume it can, but nobody knows for sure.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker for the PS3. But it is definitely a reason to keep your PS2 for now.

That site linked above seems to think a firmware update can fix this, but who knows?

True. I guess, it could be unfixable, but this wouldn't make much sense. It seems more like the upscaling algorithm that the PS3 is using isn't doing it's job when converting from 480i to 480p, which is what I believe it's trying to output the image as.

At least, that's the most probable cause of chunks of pixels actually being displayed but not being displayed in the right place. If it's something more wacky than that, Sony fucked up worse than anyone imagined on this one.

Monoxide on
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

Good job, Drez! I'm speechless. Go put another hash mark on the side of your helmet.

Oolong on
    edited January 2007
    Oolong wrote:
    If I were to go for this deal, I would walk out of the store with one hundred more dollars of American money in my pocket than I would have if I'd just bought a PS3.

You would have $100 more in your pocket, but you would also have lost a console/controller/memory-card that is worth approximately $100 used.

They should say: "Buy a PS3, and we will give you $100 for your PS2 and accessories". Their current wording in the advertising would actually be a breach of advertising standards laws in many countries.

Marlor on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, compared to what the individual items would trade in for... it IS a good deal.

PS2 - $35-40
    Extra Controller - $5
    Mem Card - $5

So basically you are looking at an extra $50-55 in trade in credit over what you would normally get if you traded it in.

This isnt designed for people to go buy a PS2 just to trade it in for a PS3. This isnt designed for people who sell their stuff on ebay.

This IS designed for people who want a PS3 and dont want their PS2 anymore when they get it. They might as well be able to get the extra credit and save SOMETHING else.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Marlor wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Keep in mind that this only happens on a handful of games, and will be fixed in the future. Most of them are great games that you'd want to work with backwards compatibility, but of all of the reasons not to buy a PS3, this isn't the biggest problem.

It happens with all games that don't support progressive scan. Quite a few AAA titles are 480i only, and a hell of a lot of less prominent games lack support for 480p as well. I'd say that this affects more than just a handful of games.

Sony are refusing to acknowledge the problem, so I'm not sure if it will be fixed any time soon. Also, it is hard to say whether it can be fixed with a firmware update. One would assume it can, but nobody knows for sure.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker for the PS3. But it is definitely a reason to keep your PS2 for now.

True. I guess, it could be unfixable, but this wouldn't make much sense. It seems more like the upscaling algorithm that the PS3 is using isn't doing it's job when converting from 480i to 480p, which is what I believe it's trying to output the image as.

At least, that's the most probable cause of chunks of pixels actually being displayed but not being displayed in the right place. If it's something more wacky than that, Sony fucked up worse than anyone imagined on this one.

Upscaling is a problem with the PS3 in general, really.

The reason I'm not too convinced that Sony will fix this is because of comments they've made about backwards compatibility before:
    I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that's an unrealistic expectation. We've reported problems on only 200 of the 8000 PlayStation 1 and 2 games. I would challenge the average consumer to say that there are significant problems with any of the games in their library.

Apparently, expecting games to run properly is "unrealistic," or so they claimed late last year.

Couple this with Capcom refusing to fix the text issue in Dead Rising and Microsoft staying completely mute on the widescreen LCD monitor stretching issues, and you have a current climate of companies not giving a shit about "little things" like this.

I doubt this is on Sony's list of priorities, especially since it only happens on some games, but who knows?

Drez on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I saw this and actually thought I could save 100 dollars.

Then I saw the words "after trade in."

I didn't bother reading anything else because I knew it was bullshit.

SkyGheNe on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Ladies, this thread is way too long at this point for me to split all of the shit posts out, so things are either going to stay on topic or it's going to be locked and remade. It'd be really nice if I didn't have to do that.

Monoxide on
    edited January 2007
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Good job, Drez! I'm speechless. Go put another hash mark on the side of your helmet.

I wish you were speechless. You either have no concept of value, or you are just trolling. Either way, we've covered this issue for pages and you are trying to resurrect it with nonsense, so I don't care to debate the issue with you. The facts are there already...read them or remain ignorant if it pleases you to. *shrug*

Drez on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Ladies, this thread is way too long at this point for me to split all of the shit posts out, so things are either going to stay on topic or it's going to be locked and remade. It'd be really nice if I didn't have to do that.
    Exactly what is the topic in question, oh mighty mono?

Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic.

Okay, maybe a little.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The trade in value of all the stuff by itself is about 45 bucks, so you're getting like 55 dollars bonus credit. It's a pretty awesome deal in the scheme of things.

YodaTuna on
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:

Which are the "shit posts"? If they are the ones that are talking about PS3 backwards compatibility issues, then I would say that they are very relevant to whether you want to trade in your PS2 when you get a PS3.

Marlor on
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I wish you were speechless. You either have no concept of value, or you are just trolling. Either way, we've covered this issue for pages and you are trying to resurrect it with nonsense, so I don't care to debate the issue with you. The facts are there already...read them or remain ignorant if it pleases you to. *shrug*

Drez? Sweetie?

Sometimes people don't want shit anymore. I know it doesn't say that in your econ textbooks? But it's still true. Think about it until it sinks in.

Oolong on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Drez? Sweetie?

Sometimes people don't want shit anymore. I know it doesn't say that in your econ textbooks? But it's still true. Think about it until it sinks in.

This is a 13+ forum guys. And while adult content works one way, childish content does too. Keep this shit to the schoolyard please.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think this is pretty much the most redundant circle jerk I've ever seen here.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get it.

Nobody bitched when you could trade your GBA for money off a SP.

Nobody bitched when you could trade your DS phat for money off a Lite.

Nobody bitched when you could trade your Xbox for money off a 360.

I guarantee nobody will bitch when you can trade your Gamecube for money off a Wii.

I don't much like EB or Sony as much as the next guy, but Jesus Christ. :?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get it.

I guarantee nobody will bitch when you can trade your Gamecube for money off a Wii.

:^:
    Hypocrites, eh?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are people who would benefit from this deal and for whom it's worth it. There some for whom it's not. And there are those who just take every opportunity to shit on the PS3. :lol:

Darlan on
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    There are people who would benefit from this deal and for whom it's worth it. There some for whom it's not. And there are those who just take every opportunity to shit on the PS3. :lol:

Been noticing that a lot, lately.

Dashui on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

Been noticing that a lot, lately.

Agreed.

In my opinion the only truly valid complaint is the price, especially for us Europeans. Everything else is pure opinion about the console.

I mean if it was the same price as the 360 I would be very tempted but really, it is just too expensive for me to even consider as a second (or first) console as I already own a 360 and Wii.

ToadTheMushroom on
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:

Sony's got nothing to do with this deal, so I can't see how anyone could blame them or the PS3 for it.

However, I think that EBStop should be shat on, for their continual shady advertising practices.

Marlor on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    I don't get it.

:^:
    Hypocrites, eh?

There weren't threads about any of those that I can recall. If someone went and made a thread about the awesome deals available referencing those offers, we'd be mocking them too. Put the fucking cross down.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited January 2007
    I don't get it.

All those deals were pretty retarded.

Drez on
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

Sony's got nothing to do with this deal, so I can't see how anyone could blame them or the PS3 for it.

However, I think that EBStop should be shat on, for their continual shady advertising practices.

Precisely. That was my only point here. It has nothing to do with Sony or the PS3. At all. At all. It has to do with EB being a bunch of shady motherfuckers.

Drez on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would never trade a PS2, 2 controllers and a memory card for a shitty 100 dollar credit.

Anyone who does that should be stoned. Publicly stoned.

Endomatic on
    edited January 2007
    Endomatic wrote:
    I would never trade a PS2, 2 controllers and a memory card for a shitty 100 dollar credit.

Anyone who does that should be stoned. Publicly stoned.

There was an even more insane deal here in Australia. You could trade in your XBox, a controller, and 12 games, in order to get a credit for AU$200 (US$150) on your Wii.

As usual EB Games was the culprit.

And there were people taking up the deal. I felt like running up to them and saying "I'll give you $250", then selling the stuff on eBay for a profit.

Marlor on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How about this, most people have a memory card and 2 controllers with their ps2, so if they get a ps3 and don't wanna be bothered, its a good way to take care of it.

Also, for all the econ junkies out there, how about taking the time you put into selling the ps2 x the value of your time and adding that to the savings?

Really though, some people don't want to waste their time with classifieds or ebay or whatever to sell that stuff, and EB is just giving them a hand. Does someone always have to be a villain?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To find if you're really saving money is to get the trade in value for the ps2, controller, and Memory Card before they switched prices to make people use this deal.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    eternalbl wrote:
    How about this, most people have a memory card and 2 controllers with their ps2, so if they get a ps3 and don't wanna be bothered, its a good way to take care of it.

Also, for all the econ junkies out there, how about taking the time you put into selling the ps2 x the value of your time and adding that to the savings?

Really though, some people don't want to waste their time with classifieds or ebay or whatever to sell that stuff, and EB is just giving them a hand. Does someone always have to be a villain?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN, OH LORD OH LORD PLEASE!

SkyGheNe on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can you even use the PS2 Dual Shock on the PS3?

FreddyD on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

Eh... probably not. The controllers aren't compatible. I couldn't use PS1 controllers for PS2, so I imagine it's the same for PS2 to PS3.

Endomatic on
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

Nope.

Dashui on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Endomatic wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Eh... probably not. The controllers aren't compatible. I couldn't use PS1 controllers for PS2, so I imagine it's the same for PS2 to PS3.
    Eh? I was able to use PS1 controllers on the PS2, they just didn't work for too many games.

But yeah, I'm assuming since the GH controller doesn't work, neither do the regular ones.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    eternalbl wrote:

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN, OH LORD OH LORD PLEASE!

Seriously, I'm not done with last gen, it'll be a long time before I need a ps3 or xbox360. So I really don't care either way if people think this is a good idea or not, but the idea that EBStop is so sinister is getting old.

Their service sucks? Maybe. Wanna tell the poor kids at the register to shut up about trade in's and service plans? Definitely. But to say that them offering you more trade in on stuff than normal? if the deal sucks in your eyes, just don't accept it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Shujin KatanaShujin Katana ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    save 600 dollars on the PS3

don't buy one

Shujin Katana on
    DP: 0902 9415 9324
    edited January 2007
    save 600 dollars on the PS3

don't buy one*

*With trade-in of one, small, potty-trained child.

Drez on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This may have been mentioned already, but isn't the BC rate for the PS3 really bad too?

I mean, forget the fact that PS1 and Ps2 games might look worse. I'm concerned that some I have might not play at all.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2007
    This may have been mentioned already, but isn't the BC rate for the PS3 really bad too?

I mean, forget the fact that PS1 and Ps2 games might look worse. I'm concerned that some I have might not play at all.

According to Sony (before the PS3 came out) 200/8000 games were reporting "problems" which I assume they meant "don't work."

I don't know if that's accurate, though.

Drez on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Filler wrote:
    Call me a cynic, but I wonder if these boards would have this same retarded arguement if it was GC and Wii swapped with PS2 and PS3...
    If the GC trade required a controller and a memory card and only paid off one-sixth of the Wii's price? I'd assume so.

Edit: Also, 200 isn't a lot, but I'm not very inclined to trust Sony on this point, frankly.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif