As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trade in PS2, Get a PS3 for 100 Dollars less.

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
..by trading in your PS2 to gamestop.

olfsi_011207-1.jpg

That's not a horrible deal actually. It means you could pay 400 dollars for the PS3, which I think is an acceptable price.
Combine this with the fact that Nyko is coming out with a ps3 adaptor that will let you use the Guitar Hero controller, and I may give this offer a thought.

Kyougu on

• Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I would so pick up Nightfall if I was able to. The price is usually the only thing stopping me, now its my lack of money.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    first thing i saw on that page was the nightfall CE

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    THAT IS NOT SAVING $100 AND QUIT IMPLYING THAT IT IS. Look. Caps.

Anyways, why are you using the same stupid shit ass tactics that advertisements use?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Trading in a PS2 is not "saving $100 dollars".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    great, I can trade in the PS2 I spent $350+ on to get $100 off of a $600 console.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What the fuck! You need to trade in an extra contoller and a memory card with it, thats even more of a rip then normal.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, EBStop. How I hate thee, let me count the ways.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhhh, besides the memory card thing ( which is silly, the console doesn't even come with a memory card to begin with) it sounds like a good deal.

Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why are you all complaining? You get something that can play all your PS2 games anyways for the price of a premium 360.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's bordering on being a decent deal, which is amazing for Gamestop.

What was their usual trade-in value for a PS2? $40?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhhh, besides the memory card thing ( which is silly, the console doesn't even come with a memory card to begin with) it sounds like a good deal.

Explain to me why you'd get more value out of letting the thing sit around when you buy a ps3?
    Because I'd like to play PS2 games without them looking horrible?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

If you trade in your PS2, extra controller, and memory card, your PS3 just became a 900 dollar purchase.

Enjoy.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Does it really make older games look worse than when they were on their original system?

core tactic on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ... When did EBgames start selling phones?

.. and no, that is an extremely shitty deal. Basically, you are having to trade in a "complete" PS2 (IE $200 in stuff if it were new), to get a PS3.

They must be having a shortage of PS2 mem cards and controllers.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hell, the PS3 can't even play its own games without committing suicide. The last thing I'd do (if I were to buy one) is put more stress on it with five-year-old PS2 discs.

Drez on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does it really make older games look worse than when they were on their original system?
    Apparantly, yes.
    I;ve yet to see anyone say otherwise.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

If you trade in your PS2, extra controller, and memory card, your PS3 just became a 900 dollar purchase.

Enjoy.
    what are new slimline PS2s retailing for out there now?
    i'm not saying it's a good deal, but if you tried trading one in, i'm sure you'd get way less than $100.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    ... When did EBgames start selling phones?

.. and no, that is an extremely shitty deal. Basically, you are having to trade in a "complete" PS2 (IE $200 in stuff if it were new), to get a PS3.

They must be having a shortage of PS2 mem cards and controllers.

But if you get a ps3, you dont need a ps2 anymore. If I was in the market for a ps3 I would hit this up. Given you are only getting 20 or so dollars more on your trade, but if I was getting a ps3 might as well get rid of a ps2 to cut down the price.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

Enjoy.

It didn't become a 900 dollar purchase you idiot, you're making use of money that's already been spent. Besides including the memory card I see nothing shady about this.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Enjoy.
    what are new slimline PS2s retailing for out there now?
    i'm not saying it's a good deal, but if you tried trading one in, i'm sure you'd get way less than $100.

So EB sets the normal trade-in value for slimline PSTwo's as low, and then they create a new fictional trade-in price point for trading it toward the PS3.

It doesn't really matter if you're getting 20 or 50 dollars extra because you're trading the bundle in toward a PS3. It's garbage trade-in value either way.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

Enjoy.

It didn't become a 900 dollar purchase you idiot, you're making use of money that's already been spent. Besides including the memory card I see nothing shady about this.

Oh, sure, the value of the PS2 may have depreciated as far as EB's fictional trade-in chart is concerned. But, in my home, it's as valuable as when I purchased it at its original cost. Considering the problems people are having with the PS3, I would rather play PS2 games on the PS2 anyway, even if I wanted a PS3, so trading the PS2 in is just pissing money away.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I dont understand the big deal.

Once you get a ps3 you no longer need your ps2 from what I understand. So why note trade it in? At least this way you get a little extra than what your usually would.

I think the ps2 trade in is around 60$ for whoever I asked.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Enjoy.

Oh, sure, the value of the PS2 may have depreciated as far as EB's fictional trade-in chart is concerned. But, in my home, it's as valuable as when I purchased it at its original cost. Considering the problems people are having with the PS3, I would rather play PS2 games on the PS2 anyway, even if I wanted a PS3, so trading the PS2 in is just pissing money away.

Well Drez, that's because you're kind of an idiot.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Once you get a ps3 you no longer need your ps2 from what I understand. So why note trade it in? At least this way you get a little extra than what your usually would.

But multiple people with PS3s are saying that this isn't true; they are saying that PS2 games look worse on a PS3 than on a PS2.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Enjoy.

Well Drez, that's because you're kind of an idiot.

I'm glad you popped in just to say that. It's good to see a G&T mod in G&T once in a while.

Drez on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can buy secondhand PS2s for what would convert to around $100 (£60, in fact) over here.
    Memory Card and controller'd add another $50, I guess, under said conversion again.

You need to bear in mind all these things are secondhand.

Therefore, you're getting 2/3rds of the value of what you trade-in. Most shops only appear to offer me half of what they sell products for, if that, so that ain't too bad.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

But multiple people with PS3s are saying that this isn't true; they are saying that PS2 games look worse on a PS3 than on a PS2.

I'll believe that when I see it. If you are getting that info from PA, well, PA has a tendency to makes things seem worse than they are. Personally, I haven't heard one complaint about it.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

I'll believe that when I see it. If you are getting that info from PA, well, PA has a tendency to makes things seem worse than they are. Personally, I haven't heard one complaint about it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/ps2-graphics-on-ps3-look-like-crap/

With video.

edit: That looks god-awful to me.

Drez on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

Couscous on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You probably save $30-40 over the regular trade in value.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Question about this ad: Where'd you get it? I haven't seen anything like it in my local papers. I'd buy that NF CE in a second.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

With video.

Does look pretty crappy. Still. If I was looking to get a ps3 (which I am not) I would still use this deal.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have to admit, NF CE is a good price. And I have the Z-Board...that's a good deal, particularly if you play WoW. It's a good keyboard, and now you can write your own Z-Board profiles to use with the generic Z-Board board.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

With video.

Does look pretty crappy. Still. If I was looking to get a ps3 (which I am not) I would still use this deal.

I guess it might depend on how many PS2 games you have. As I have 50-ish that I don't intend to part with, trading in my PS2 for something that makes them look quite a bit worse would not be a sound investment. For me, it would be throwing money away. If your PS2 is sitting in a closet collecting dust, then I guess it doesn't matter. But, if your PS2 is collecting dust, why would you want a PS3 anyway?

Drez on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When the DS Lite came in, I asked the EB manager a very important question:

Will I be able to transfer my WFC settings from my old DS to my new DS if I trade in my old DS?

The answer was a flat no -- once you traded it in, you weren't allowed to touch it. Your WFC settings were lost, basically, as were all your friend codes.

Not a huge deal, eh?

... This deal requires you trading in a memory card. Praytell, how do you plan on getting that transferred to your PS3?

(and I still think that PS2, 2 controllers, and mem card is way too fucking cheap for $100.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Couple things. I own about 20 games for my ps2 and play it more than any other system I have (gogo winning eleven).

Point is, why is this ad bullshit? Its not you have to do this to get a ps3. I swear some of you hate on shit for no good reason.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Point is, why is this ad bullshit? Its not you have to do this to get a ps3. I swear some of you hate on shit for no good reason.
    Becasue it's Sony. And according to everyone here, Sony is pure evil.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ...because the thread is titled "SAVE $100 ON A PS3"

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Couple things. I own about 20 games for my ps2 and play it more than any other system I have (gogo winning eleven).

Well, the whole trade-in system is evil.

Beyond that, I feel the ad is misleading. Because you aren't saving $100. That's a very disingenuous way to advertise this deal. You are trading in something that you paid a lot more for to get $100 off a PS3. That's quite different.

Drez on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Becasue it's Sony. And according to everyone here, Sony is pure evil.

:|

People are bitching about Gamestop, not Sony, you idjit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293