As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 or Go Home

RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just found out from a co-worker that I can use my credentials as an employee of my company to go to E3 but on my dime and not theirs.

I will already be in Vegas working a show until the 11th, so flying to LA for E3 is just a lot easier than flying from DC. I just worry if it'll be worth a week of PTO, travel, room, food and another week away from my girlfriend.

Is it truly that badass?

Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
Robziel on

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    edit - nevermind, I reread it and got what you were saying.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thats nice.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    I just found out from a co-worker that I can use my credentials as an employee of my company to go to E3 but on my dime and not theirs.

I will already be in Vegas working a show until the 11th, so flying to LA for E3 is just a lot easier than flying from DC. I just worry if it'll be worth a week of PTO, travel, room, food and another week away from my girlfriend.

Is it truly that badass?

I'm going to say no. Playing betas of games coming out in the fall isn't really a huge deal to me - just watch the videos online.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not sure how it is now, but I went to E3 for 3 years. 2002-2005 I believe.

It was a crazy ass spectacle, and I don't regret going. Lots of the really cool stuff was behind the scenes only, but other stuff was out there and I remember playing God of War and Devil May Cry and being astounded by them.

So it is worth going to, though I think PAX would be much cheaper option.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [QUOTE=a5ehren;14144715I'm going to say no. Playing betas of games coming out in the fall isn't really a huge deal to me - just watch the videos online.[/QUOTE]

Kind of how I feel but...
    Kyougu wrote: »

It was a crazy ass spectacle, and I don't regret going. Lots of the really cool stuff was behind the scenes only, but other stuff was out there and I remember playing God of War and Devil May Cry and being astounded by them.

Everyone I know that ever went, went "back in the good old days when the aisles where paved in gold and exhibitors gave out booth girls." No one I know has been recently to say it's still "zomg awesome."

I'm going to PAX East in a few days and my gaming nerd self wonders if that isn't enough for one year.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

We went to E3 for the exact same 3 years?!

I'll go ahead and agree with Kyougu's assessment. I view it like a trip to Mecca. Good to go once to twice, but going too often will burn you out. It's worth going, but it'll be hella expensive. And there's hot dog vendors outside who sell hot dogs wrapped in bacon, covered with cheese.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »

We went to E3 for the exact same 3 years?!

I'll go ahead and agree with Kyougu's assessment. I view it like a trip to Mecca. Good to go once to twice, but going too often will burn you out. It's worth going, but it'll be hella expensive. And there's hot dog vendors outside who sell hot dogs wrapped in bacon, covered with cheese.

Ha, I remember those hotdogs! We called them Mexi-dogs, and I had them before, but my friends never had and loved them. Then the lady with the cart got busted by some cops and we were sad. :(

Agree about getting burnout. We usually only went for the first two days, since by then we were all tired. And there's lots of frustration about it, like lines for everything, smelly people everywhere, and forget about sticking as a group.

None the less, yeah it's like a visit to the Mecca. Geeky as it sounds, I'll always remember what it was like stepping into E3 for the first time.

Kyougu on