As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My wireless internet is shit.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My PC's connection to my wireless network is REALLY bad. The signal strength is always low (2 bars out of 5) and disconnects are extremely frequent, about every 40-80 minutes. These disconnects very rarely straiten themselves out on their own, but unplugging the wireless router and then plugging it back in seems to do the trick 75% of the time. I had replaced my router, thinking that was the problem, but my connection problems seem just as bad as they ever were. Here's a few details on my setup:

Connection: DSL
Router: Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
Firmware: v4.30.13
Security: WEP
Network Card: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Adapter Firmware: 4.82.28.56

And a rough image of my home's floor plan:

wirelessfloorplan.jpg

I've been using little tin foil antennas on my router in an attempt to redirect the signal away from the wall and down the hall to my PC, but they haven't helped much. And let's say that running a physical cable is pretty much out of the question right now.

Also, when I look up my Network Card in Device Manager and click "Update Drivers" Windows tells me they're up to date. But when I go to this site, http://drivers.softpedia.com/ , and type in "BROADCOM Wireless" I find drivers up to 4.102.15.61. Problem is, I don't know if any of the drivers on that page are for my device, and I don't want to install drivers for the wrong thing just in case it could screw things up even worse.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm really tired of my internet being shit and would appreciate any help I can get.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have you tried relocating the router?

Esh on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Custom firmware on the router that allows you to boost its transmission power? (Won't help on the PC end though)

Relocation sounds like your best bet, possibly a new receiver for your computer as well.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Relocating the router is also not an option, unfortunately. The modem has to be plugged in the that wall.

I looked into custom firmware briefly, but without some pretty good instructions I'm afraid of bricking my router.

As far as a new receiver goes, I'll look into it if other options won't work. I'd like to get one with a wired antenna so that I can place it closer to my doorway but those look to be a lot more expensive. I'd like to not spend a whole lot of money right now as I no longer have an income.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    elmoelmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Neighbours running wireless stuff aswell? Id try changing the channel the router is transmitting on.

i ended up using this at home, http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
    Its free and shows what channels are being used and how much they overlap, allowing you to pick a free spot

elmo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cool, I'll check out inSSIDer tomorrow after I've had some sleep and can figure this thing out.

I do have a couple neighbors running networks, but most don't show up very often. There's only one other SSID that my PC picks up with any regularity. In fact, my PC can often see it even when it can't detect my own network.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really wish that thing worked on a mac. I'm constantly dropping out and picking up neighbours networks. Is there a similar program for OSX?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Really wish that thing worked on a mac. I'm constantly dropping out and picking up neighbours networks. Is there a similar program for OSX?

Only tool i know of is kismet, but since i dont have access to a mac im not familiar with exactly what it can do.

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

elmo on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is your PC a desktop or laptop?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Desktop.

Otherwise I'd just go to another room closer to the router.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I knew a guy who made an antenna out of Mt. Dew cans...
    His router was on the opposite end of the house, with more distance between him and his router than it looks like you have between you and yours. He always received full signal strength.
    The problem is that wireless signals are fairly weak, and wood in the walls apparently eats the already weakened signals (not literally). So he did like a little bit of research, and took a cutter to his Mt. Dew can collection and built an antenna, hooked it up, and he was good to go.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you still have your old router around, you can turn it into a repeater. Then just install it halfway between your room and the main router.

illig on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Build a bi-quad antennae for your router.

Build a cantenna for your receiver.

These are not the beeesssttt solutions in the world, but they should be more than sufficient to get the connection between your pc and router stable.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought you could buy range extenders at radio shack

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    illig wrote: »
    If you still have your old router around, you can turn it into a repeater. Then just install it halfway between your room and the main router.

Does the router turned repeater have to be plugged into anything besides the power in order to do this? There are no PCs or internet connections between my PC and the router.

These are not the beeesssttt solutions in the world, but they should be more than sufficient to get the connection between your pc and router stable.

What sort of can are they using for the "Cantenna?" A Pringles can?

Fig-D on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

Does the router turned repeater have to be plugged into anything besides the power in order to do this? There are no PCs or internet connections between my PC and the router.

What sort of can are they using for the "Cantenna?" A Pringles can?

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, sounds like you just need an antenna.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

No. It will proably have to be running non-standard firmware though like DD-WRT (thats what I used when I did it, there are others). It isn't difficult (although some routers are more trouble than others) but it was stressful.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, the "spare" router I have is a 3 year old Linksys WRT54G v5. I don't really care if I brick it.

Further testing today has revealed that conflict with other devices is definitely part of the problem though. My signal strength is usually listed as "Poor" and will sometimes disconnect on its own, but if I turn on a laptop and the wireless printer then I'm' guaranteed to lose connection on my PC.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like you need to change the channel for the router.
    Id also concider relocating it, buy some CAT-5 network cable, and move the router to the middle of the house, pull a cable from the modem to the router, should work fine.

ninja edit:
    Regarding custom firmware, i recently reflashed my WRT54GS v1.1 and remember reading that the v5 series of linksys is not supported, atleast not by the firmware i went with (tomato), so thats something i would check out if you concidering flashing it. The flashing itself is easy as hell, just like updating your router with a official firmware.

elmo on