As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remnants of Skystone.. Steampunk Post-apocolyptic metroidvania

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
MainPageLogo.png

Found this on Kongregate today, and it's pretty damned awesome.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/FliplineStudios/remnants-of-skystone

And their home site:

http://www.remnantsofskystone.com/

The game has multiple classes to choose from!
Characteraero.jpg

Aeronauts use jetpacks for flight, and also use their hand-mounted blaster cuffs to shoot blasts of steam at enemy Mimics. The long-range steam shots mean that the Aeronaut doesn't need to get in close for the kill, but the power of the steam shot decreases the further it travels -- shots at point-blank range will deal more damage.

Aeronauts cannot fly upwards through steam vents, and must be wary of spiked vines clinging to surfaces when flying.

Characterferric.jpg

Ferrics are agile climbers, and use large Ferron Bird beaks on their arms for extra grip and for attacking. Ferrics will grab onto walls when jumping into them, and can climb upwards or slide downwards once attached. They can also jump upwards and grab ceilings, or transition over to the ceiling after climbing a wall, and can do a hand-over-hand climb across the ceiling surface. Ferrics can jump from walls and ceilings once attached, and can always do a secondary "tumble" after jumping to gain extra air-time and distance. Using the Ferron beaks, Ferrics will swipe at enemies with close-range attacks, and are able to do this while clinging to surfaces as well as on the ground or airborne. By holding the down arrow key and attacking while airborne, Ferrics can also perform a devastating dive-bomb onto enemies.

Ferrics cannot jump upwards through steam vents, but are able to pass through them if they are climbing up a wall or across a ceiling. Climbing into a spiked vine will throw the Ferric off of any surface it was climbing.

Charactercrag.jpg

Crags are mountaineers, and use their rope-launching Grapple Arm to swing across chasms and into enemies. By firing the Grapple Arm while jumping, if the spiked anchor hits a surface the Crag will go into a swing, and is able to pump back and forth to adjust the speed of the swing. Holding the up arrow key while firing the Grapple Arm will allow the Crag to do a quick vertical recoil, if it latches into a ceiling.

Crags are also equipped with a piton spike to grab into walls or ceilings -- though they cannot climb up or down walls and ceilings like Ferrics. The Grapple Arm's rope is also deployed in medium-range attacks as a sort of flail whip, and can be used when grabbing onto walls and ceilings as well. Holding down while attacking mid-air performs a wide-arc swipe. Crags cannot use their flail while swinging (as it's the same rope they're using to swing), but they can kick enemies while swinging to inflict damage.

Crags cannot jump or swing through steam vents, and must be careful of spiked vines when jumping and swinging. Certain areas on the Ground contain special barriers that can be destroyed by a Crag's flail -- these barriers are outlined in red when playing as a Crag.

I went with the Crag... Bionic commando meets Indiana Jones? What's not to love?

There's a fairly robust system for designing your character's appearance... and I believe you can get more outfits as you play the game. There's also experience gain, co-op play, and a world hub (a friggin airship!) where you can trade with other players. Seems basically like an MMO lite, done in flash.

So far, the game consists of taking on missions to complete, navigating through areas with platforming reminiscent of Megaman and Metroid, and killing mimics (icky mutant thingies) with whatever choice of weapon your class uses.

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    GoluxasGoluxas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh. Color me impressed. I'll have to try this some more when I get back to my desktop.

You said Metroidvania. Does that mean there are more items and/or abilities to get later on? I played as a Crag, and it was pretty great, but it doesn't seem like there'd be much need for improvement beyond just stronger attacks.

Goluxas on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Goluxas wrote: »
    Huh. Color me impressed. I'll have to try this some more when I get back to my desktop.

You said Metroidvania. Does that mean there are more items and/or abilities to get later on? I played as a Crag, and it was pretty great, but it doesn't seem like there'd be much need for improvement beyond just stronger attacks.

I don't think there's any extra abilities that you gain, but I could be wrong. The exploration is where the metroidvania aspect comes in for me... Lots of returning to the same areas.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So there's [strike]Iron[/strike] Brass Man, Wolverine, and Bionic Commando guy.
    Luckily you have three character slots, and you can replay the tutorial with any class you want.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm still pretty hooked on this, and found out they have a subscription mode with a few extras included (extra power attacks, the stat board thingy, more missions), plus a micropayment system for the extra doo-dads (clothes, furniture for your pod...)

An unlimited subscription is also available. I figured, for a flash game, maybe ten, twenty bucks tops... I might even consider thirty. Nope, $100 bucks D:.

I think this is one of those situations where smaller prices would earn you much more overall. Still playing, though.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I tried it as bionic commando guy a couple days ago... wasn't too impressed. The controls scheme for swinging is... awkward. I'm sure if I put in a couple more hours I would get the hang of it.
    but i'm not going to.

Overall a very well put together game, I wish these guys luck!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for posting this, it's quite neat.

Running around as a Crag. The Bionic Commando class, whose swinging is vaguely like Champions Online, but the swing part isn't immediate after the jump.

Digging the steampunk theme.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seems pretty cool. Though I HATE when games force you to use the Arrow Keys to move and then A to jump and S to swing. It's either play crosshanded or try using your right hand to move with the arrow keys which I cannot do at all.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Seems pretty cool. Though I HATE when games force you to use the Arrow Keys to move and then A to jump and S to swing. It's either play crosshanded or try using your right hand to move with the arrow keys which I cannot do at all.

I stumbled across a key binding option somewhere in the game... Give me a moment.

edit:

Yep, just bring up the menu, it's right there under options.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png