As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talislanta - An excellent system you've never heard of FOR FREE

FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
Hi everyone,

I guess many people will already heard about this but the sheer awesomeness warrants a thread, so here it is.

The excellent system/setting Talislanta will be available for free! I've looked into it since I had never heard from that setting before and all I can say it is seems to be very very good. The rules are simple as hell, combat is fast and deadly and the world itself can be summarized as a mix between Lovecrafts' Dreamquest and Howards' Hyperborea. The game has no elves. Or dwarves. In fact, it doesn't even have true humans.

What it does have however are some of the most fantastic places and races I've ever seen. A race of magically engineered warriors who all look exactly alike but have an elaborate culture of tattooing. A race that literally lives in a castle made of clouds that buys and sells dreams. Plains that where turned into barren acidic wastelands by their inhabitants careless use of alchemy (Not that they'd much care).

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this. The official site is said to be up again next month.

I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
Ferrus on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    No one who ever heard of or played Talislanta? I expected at least a few people who knew about it.

Anyway, there is a good review at RPGnet.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The official site is up!

Some books are missing right now but the essential stuff is up. I'd recommend starting with the 4th Edition Core Book since it allows to start playing right away and has all the important stuff in one file.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I can't believe this has gone unnoticed. I was always such a fan of this system, and the art was some of the best I had seen when I was playing back in the early 90's. Thanks for this great find. I'm more of a board game guy now, but this is still a treasure.

etoychest on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tried downloading the core book from their PDFs page, and it failed.

I am kind of curious about it, though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm...seeing those books brings back memories of me wandering Game Shops as a teen, wondering what was in them as I saw them on the shelves.

What would be the recommended version and/or book if one wanted to experience this for the first time?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Back in the day of free time and no kids, I played Sechi's other RPG game, Arcanum.
    It is no exaggeration to say that once I got used to that system, I simply could not go back to D&D. The amazing depth of the one-volume game was staggering. Building your own homunculi, machinae, and war machines? Yes, please.

My gaming group long since disbanded so I'll probably never have time to ever play a game of Talislanta, but I'll definitely give it a read.

Thanks for the head's up, Ferrus.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    Hmmm...seeing those books brings back memories of me wandering Game Shops as a teen, wondering what was in them as I saw them on the shelves.

What would be the recommended version and/or book if one wanted to experience this for the first time?

I'd say the 4th Edition Book, since it contains everything you'll ever need to play.

I've been reading it and it's amazing how straightforward but at the same time complex the rules are. It's like the system started at a point some modern RPGs haven't yet reached, rules-wise. I mean, I can't think of any other system from the 80ies with a semi-freeform magic system, sudden-death rules for mooks etc.

But the best aspect, for me, is the incredibly diverse setting. It feels fresh even though it's been around 20 years.

Ferrus on