As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick-Ass: Mostly aptly named film since Superbad

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Director Matthew Vaughn also confirmed that an extended version DVD will be released that runs 18 minutes longer

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And rewatching the ending, its still intense even knowing whats going to happen.

15 of these minutes will be a thug producing assorted sticks from around the world.

Electro-ball torture confirmed?

Wonder if they'll have deleted scenes that fit more with the actual comic.
    The Big Daddy Death scene, The hello kitty flame thrower, and the My daddy just died

Psychotic One on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My understanding has always been that it's fucking hard as shit to hit a moving target. Make that target a four foot tall, 80 pound whirling, bladed ball of death, and add panic, and I don't think she was dodging bullets so much as those guys just became really, really shitty shots.

She certainly didn't have super strength.
    The absolute second one of those guys managed to actually land a punch on her, she was laid flat on the ground gasping for breath.

I wish I could find that Beeman page from Dr. McNinja.

Seriously, guns work.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My understanding has always been that it's fucking hard as shit to hit a moving target. Make that target a four foot tall, 80 pound whirling, bladed ball of death, and add panic, and I don't think she was dodging bullets so much as those guys just became really, really shitty shots.

She certainly didn't have super strength.
    The absolute second one of those guys managed to actually land a punch on her, she was laid flat on the ground gasping for breath.

She sort of had super strength but not really to the extent that anyone could complain about it. For normal action-movie standards she didn't have superpowers.

Julius on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Any talk of the movie sticking to realism goes out the window when you keep the ending in mind.

Going to assume the ending is still a spoiler so:
    The only thing that was really unrealistic (and annoyed me) was the way the bazooka's rocket carried our Big Bad to a safe distance before exploding. It should have just gone off right in that room, killing them all. But again it's something I'm willing to forgive.

In response to the last part there...
    I'm no expert, but I believe (I'm pretty sure) most, if not all, modern rockets have a delay so they can't explode before a minimum distance/time.

Hit Girl
    She is probably stronger than an 11 year old would be, but I don't think I'd call it super strength. She punches Frank in the face with brass knuckles 3 or 4 times and it has about the effect you'd expect it to have. And after seeing it twice, I certainly don't recall her ever parrying a bullet. Certainly she dodged a few, but that's it. It's a bit over-the-top, but it's not super. In my opinion, that is.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    re: the comic Hit Girl vs the film's:
    I for one didn't miss the "Can I have a hug" moment because it was ridiculously forced and unearned in the comic, and being that the movie was even more dramatically thin, it would have come off even more so. The mug full of cocoa replaced said moment, and worked better anyway.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hit Girl
    She is probably stronger than an 11 year old would be, but I don't think I'd call it super strength. She punches Frank in the face with brass knuckles 3 or 4 times and it has about the effect you'd expect it to have. And after seeing it twice, I certainly don't recall her ever parrying a bullet. Certainly she dodged a few, but that's it. It's a bit over-the-top, but it's not super. In my opinion, that is.

Yeah, dodging bullets is not the same as moving fast enough for the shooter to have trouble aiming at you.

Turkey on
    edited April 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Hit Girl

Yeah, dodging bullets is not the same as moving fast enough for the shooter to have trouble aiming at you.

I might be misunderstanding you here, but she definitely dodged a bullet in the movie. I mean... her head whips to the side right as the bullet is passing. That's the definition of dodging.

0:47 and 0:51

Because he dodges bullets, Avi.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok, I remembered that bit different. My bad.

Turkey on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All I know what that Hit Girl was being all awesome and doing flips and shit.

She dodged a bullet, oh noes, my ability to enjoy all the flips and shit has been ruined.

Dragkonias on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't care that equilibrium guy could dodge bullets, I don't care that hit girl can :P

edit: On further recollection, Equilibrium guy didn't dodge bullets really, they dodged him

override367 on
    edited April 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

She dodged a bullet, oh noes, my ability to enjoy all the flips and shit has been ruined.

Errr.... just to clarify, I have no problem with it. I thought the movie was awesome. I was actually just countering the parry argument, and then countering the counter-argument to my counter-argument.... or something.

Sounds like I'm talking about Soul Calibur.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Soul Calibur is awesome, one should talk about it.

Oh and no big deal, I was moreso just going against all the complaints about the Hit Girl and the cries about realism and such. I mean the movie is realistic enough to have its intended impact, so I don't mind that it has mini-ninjas and such running around.

Though I was bugged by the part with the
    jetpack
    , just seemed like they couldn't think of anything better for that part.

Dragkonias on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we can all agree the movie was supposed to be about real people putting on costumes, but making the movie entertaining had first priority.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we can all agree the movie was supposed to be about real people putting on costumes, but making the movie entertaining had first priority.

I think it's kind of ridiculous when it's pretty clear they aren't superheroes, especially when countless other movies have stylized violence on par with this one and the characters in those movies aren't considered superhuman.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we can all agree the movie was supposed to be about real people putting on costumes, but making the movie FUCKING AWESOME had first priority.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's not a case of "Oh Noes my enjoyment!" it's the film getting all excited and giddy and forgetting what it's own message was halfway through, no-one is saying that it isn't cool, just that it's bloody odd that it's there in the context of the first half of the film.

For me the weirdest bit was when Hit-Girl kicks some dude in the chest and he goes flying backwards off his feet. I'll accept all your dodging and sword fighting, but i can't accept a 12 year old having the body mass to do that.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we can all agree the movie was supposed to be about real people putting on costumes, but making the movie KICK-ASS had first priority.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's not a case of "Oh Noes my enjoyment!" it's the film getting all excited and giddy and forgetting what it's own message was halfway through, no-one is saying that it isn't cool, just that it's bloody odd that it's there in the context of the first half of the film.

For me the weirdest bit was when Hit-Girl kicks some dude in the chest and he goes flying backwards off his feet. I'll accept all your dodging and sword fighting, but i can't accept a 12 year old having the body mass to do that.

Even an 11 year old, when moving at speed, has momentum. It'd be like someone throwing a 60lb medicine ball at you, full force, while you were busy shooting at them. I thought they handled the whole '11 year olds can't kung fu people' angle pretty well, really. I can accept a certain amount of bullet dodging in an action scene as it's one of those things that's become de facto movie physics, like bullets making sparks: if you move fast enough, you can dodge a bullet sometimes. The most jarringly unrealistic bit of that scene, for me, was the double clip reload bit. I've loaded a handgun with a clip. There is far too much friction involved for that to possibly ever work. But I can accept the rule of cool and let it slide.

Hit Girl and Big Daddy were supposed to be actual super heroes (if not powered and more on the anti-hero, Punisher end of the spectrum) who existed in the movie universe to demonstrate one of the two reasons why you don't hear about real masked crime fighters: being effective as a lone masked vigilante for any period of time requires a psychotic dedication to your cause. At least that's what I got out of it, and I've not read the comic to know if it says different.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I honestly thought the 'package with miniguns' was going to be
    One of those car-battery powered exo-suits they have in R&D for heavy lifting. Kick-Ass dreamed of being a super hero, and now he's fucking Robo-Cop.

One of the small niggles about the film was that Kick-Ass didn't really have much of a part in the finale. Except for the minigun package.

Blurbl on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    I honestly thought the 'package with miniguns' was going to be
    One of those car-battery powered exo-suits they have in R&D for heavy lifting. Kick-Ass dreamed of being a super hero, and now he's fucking Robo-Cop.
    I thought it was going to be a battlebot like we see on robot wars. Then I when they showed the BIG OBVIOUS WALL OF GLASS I was like "Oooooh, it's going to fly!" and assumed it was some kind of UAV, like an armoured industrial version of a toy helicopter. Then it turned out to be a jetpack, which I was strangely okay with.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited April 2010

That's the thing though, I don't really hear a lot about the movie forgetting its message or anything. Which I think is a valid argument.

I just hear a lot about people complaining that a 12 year old can pwn some dudes. To which I don't really care. Since as I said before, it was awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One of the small niggles about the film was that Kick-Ass didn't really have much of a part in the finale. Except for the minigun package.

I just thought that he was late, that the original plan involved him opening fire on the "hallway full of dudes", because really that's the time to call in an airstrike and all their planning of the layout had indicated "hey one person comes up from below, other person flanks from above and opens up on them" (complete with Nicolas Cage hand gestures lol). Since he didn't show Hit Girl was forced to just badass her way through it and luckily he managed to figure out how to work the thing just in time to save the day.

Lanlaorn on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Director Matthew Vaughn also confirmed that an extended version DVD will be released that runs 18 minutes longer

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And rewatching the ending, its still intense even knowing whats going to happen.

15 of these minutes will be a thug producing assorted sticks from around the world.

Electro-ball torture confirmed?

Wonder if they'll have deleted scenes that fit more with the actual comic.
    The Big Daddy Death scene, The hello kitty flame thrower, and the My daddy just died

Man, they wouldn't have the balls to put that on the disc.
    Seriously though, I think I'd like to have seen more Red Mist/Kick Ass teaming up. Maybe stopping a brawl or a mugging... stop some schmuck from robbing the local Kwik-e-mart or something. Hell, even saving a cat from a burning building. Just something beyond the car-dance scene.
    Would have made the seen where Mist was trying to protect Kick from the goon squad even better to actually have seen them become friends rather then just strangers with a hobby in common

see317 on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For those who think dedicated training somehow equals super powers, I would point them in the following directions: Parkour & Free Running, Krav Maga, Quick Draw Shooting. That's what comes to mind at the moment anyways.

Simply put, Hit Girl does not dodge bullets, she is dodging the line of fire and when close enough redirecting it using her own reaction times using uncommon silhouettes and constantly being on the attack versus the shooters reaction times to trying to anticipate her movements. She is moving out of their line of fire, they are not moving out of hers.

The only thing which could possibly be thought of as super power would be the double clip air reload, which IIRC was previously seen in the craptacular (yet still action packed) Wolverine movie, which you may be confusing scenes from that with this given the parry a bullet comment.

If the whole "comic styled heroes are insane" motif thing needs a touch more realism for you, why not try Defendor? I didn't enjoy it as much as Kick Ass, but maybe you will.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For those who think dedicated training somehow equals super powers, I would point them in the following directions: Parkour & Free Running, Krav Maga, Quick Draw Shooting. That's what comes to mind at the moment anyways.

Simply put, Hit Girl does not dodge bullets, she is dodging the line of fire and when close enough redirecting it using her own reaction times using uncommon silhouettes and constantly being on the attack versus the shooters reaction times to trying to anticipate her movements. She is moving out of their line of fire, they are not moving out of hers.

The only thing which could possibly be thought of as super power would be the double clip air reload, which IIRC was previously seen in the craptacular (yet still action packed) Wolverine movie, which you may be confusing scenes from that with this given the parry a bullet comment.

If the whole "comic styled heroes are insane" motif thing needs a touch more realism for you, why not try Defendor? I didn't enjoy it as much as Kick Ass, but maybe you will.

I rented that the other day but the dvd was all fucked up and the audio was off. Is it worth another rental? (it was redbox, so I didn't hassle with it since it was only a dollar)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That's not a realistic tactical system for combat though... For anyone, let alone a child. Well, some commando units have cute rolls and ducks but who knows how good those are.

If it's supposed to be about realistic people putting on costumes and fighting crime, you can't have stuff that defies that. Things like jet packs, mini-guns and crazy assassins. If the film is supposedly trying to portray things realistically, I can only interpret Big Daddy and Hit-Girl as exaggerated characters juxtaposed to contrast with the more realistic protagonist.

If you were going to shoot criminals, some of the Boondock Saints style would be closer to effective. Not the rope stuff obviously but kicking in the door all of a sudden with a couple guys and emptying your silenced weapons on the surprised targets. Quick, calm, smooth, precise, methodical execution.

In the comic, I found the mob to be more sympathetic than any of the "heroes." The Boss is just minding his own business when some crazy people in costumes start killing his guys.

Cedar Brown on
    edited April 2010

I rented that the other day but the dvd was all fucked up and the audio was off. Is it worth another rental? (it was redbox, so I didn't hassle with it since it was only a dollar)

IMHO, not really. Want it spoiled?

Defendor
    Woody Harrelson's character is talking to a psychologist and begins to explain his adventures of why he beat up that man... A junkie hooker is giving a crooked cop a BJ and the crooked cop takes it too far apparently, so Defendor shows up and saves the day, by use of marbles and a club. This gets him hauled into the police station for assaulting a police officer and Defendor hams it up with the "police commissioner", a police captian IIRC and is then let go but he thinks of it as breaking out.

Defendor then continues his quest to bring down Captain Industry with what turned out to be a WWI trench club back in his possession. Then he hooks up with the junkie hooker again and uses her as an informant against Captain Industry, not really Captain Industry but just some local distribution drug kingpin. This ends up leading to a undercover cop getting killed and the cops investigation ruined because he didn't kill Defendor. Through out all that there was hard working family man looking out for Defendor as well, sorta like a big brother.

In the hospital from his last street forays and thinking bullets bounce off him (they were blanks from the undercover cop), he next ends up in front of a judge for beating up the crooked cop clearly not all there so that is how he ends up talking to the psychologist and is told to no longer be Defendor. He doesn't do that, gets killed in some weird climatic battle with the drug lord where his insane tools of his trade work against most of "Captain Industry"'s hired goons but his refusal to use fire arms gets him killed.

Some street artist he saved earlier makes a Defendor mural while he was on trial and this now becomes a memorial. Also turns out Defendor's mom was a junkie hooker and his grandpa, where he probably got the trench club, tells him the Captians of Industry were the ones responsible for his mom not coming home. Defendor's killing is what the cops need to convict the drug lord and that pretty much wraps up the movie.

All this is of course IIRC and with none of its little flairs, like the angry wasps in a jar weapon or the sorta love story with the junkie hooker that leads to shooting the crooked cop in the crotch. My apologies that this isn't a well written review of the movie, re-reading my review it makes the movie more boring than it actually was but I can't seem to work up caring enough to try to rewrite this post with more entertainment value. Not a movie that particularly entertained me that I would want to watch it a second time.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010

That's not a realistic tactical system for combat though... For anyone, let alone a child. Well, some commando units have cute rolls and ducks but who knows how good those are.

Oh well, this probably a agree to disagree situation, I'm pretty sure those specially trained para-military and military personnel know the value of their "cute" rolls and ducks in their combat situations. But we can probably agree that movie martial arts are just fundamentally different than combat martial arts for entertainment (and safe stunt choreography) reasons.
    If it's supposed to be about realistic people putting on costumes and fighting crime, you can't have stuff that defies that. Things like jet packs, mini-guns and crazy assassins. If the film is supposedly trying to portray things realistically, I can only interpret Big Daddy and Hit-Girl as exaggerated characters juxtaposed to contrast with the more realistic protagonist.

If you were going to shoot criminals, some of the Boondock Saints style would be closer to effective. Not the rope stuff obviously but kicking in the door all of a sudden with a couple guys and emptying your silenced weapons on the surprised targets. Quick, calm, smooth, precise, methodical execution.

In the comic, I found the mob to be more sympathetic than any of the "heroes." The Boss is just minding his own business when some crazy people in costumes start killing his guys.

Boondock Saints is a whole other kettle of fish. Where does their well aimed shots come from? And why do the professional criminals shots go wide of their mark? IMHO, its less to do with realism and more to do with the subject matter's deified theme.

Jet packs and mini guns exist, not sure if the weight allowance is there considering the ammunition and other components into it as well but that those things somehow break your "realism"... Maybe you are engineer of some kind, with the skill set and knowledge set to know how realistic that particular Rocketman situation is. Oh well, your opinion and you are welcome to it, I am not going to tell you how to enjoy your viewing. But "crazy" assassins? I always thought that was par for the course, that to be someone willing to make your life's work killing other human beings you would have to be at least a little bit crazy. Yes, I think soldiers are trained to be at least a little bit crazy the world over in order to do what they do.

That there is a juxtaposition between Kick-Ass and the father daughter death wish team of Big Daddy and Hit Girl is pretty plain, but I just see it as the difference between spare time enthusiast and dedicated full time specialists in the field of crazy vigilante "justice".

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is nothing worth citing about Boondock Saints, unless your context of choice is "how not to do it".

Xagarath on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This movie was the best movie I've seen in such a long time. It easily surpasses Zombieland and District 9. The entire scene with the NVGs was incredible.

urahonky on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    This movie was the best movie I've seen in such a long time. It easily surpasses Zombieland and District 9. The entire scene with the NVGs was incredible.

Woah woah, let's not go crazy here.

So It Goes on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

You're right, he'd be crazy to say the opposite of what he said.

As it is, he's completely sane. Kick-Ass is totally fucking awesome.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010

I would not say it "easily surpasses" both of those. No sir!

So It Goes on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

I would not say it "easily surpasses" both of those. No sir!

I won't get into a pissing contest over it as it isn't the [Pissing Contest] thread and opinions, opinions. Zombieland was ok, definitely not as good as I expected, District 9 was eh, enjoyable, nothing breathtaking. This was genuinely enjoyable throughout and memorable.

My litmus test; if I'd have been upset at having paid cinema price to see it, its not a great film.

I left Kick-Ass happy as an LSD-ridden clam.

DarkWarrior on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Come on now, this movie may be good but D9/Zombieland level quality? I think you overstep the bounds of what is reasonable sir.

Robman on
    edited April 2010
    Pistols at dawn!

So It Goes on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Come on now, this movie may be good but D9/Zombieland level quality? I think you overstep the bounds of what is reasonable sir.

I've never seen D9, but I'll agree a shade better then Zombieland.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had to ask my local comic book shop how their logo got plastered all over the movie. Turns out the Owner of Atomic Comics and Mark Millar are good buddies and they wanted to have a real comic book store shown in the movie. Had to make a joke asking when they were going ot put in a coffee shop like in the movie.

Psychotic One on
    edited April 2010
    Watched the movie a second time and its probably that I am just slow but I feel like I clued into a few things:
    - Big Daddy & Hit Girl totally set up Kick Ass, they meant for the big bad to think it was him from the get go, they meant to show up when he was at Razoul's place, he was their fall guy to keep their revenge plan rolling.
    - At no point on camera does Big Daddy and Hit Girl inform Kick Ass where safe house B is ... and Red Mist suggests just plugging it into the GPS. Made me think of Grand Theft Auto :P

Other than that, my wife enjoyed the film and how did she put it again: "Oh man, this is so disturbing but entertaining at the same time!"

Also, did anyone else get any American Psycho feel to things at times?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had to ask my local comic book shop how their logo got plastered all over the movie. Turns out the Owner of Atomic Comics and Mark Millar are good buddies and they wanted to have a real comic book store shown in the movie. Had to make a joke asking when they were going ot put in a coffee shop like in the movie.
    I was wondering what the deal with that was. When I saw the movie I just assumed Atomic Comics had more branches that I didn't know about.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg