As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My cd drive isnt playing cds

HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
OK, I was just burning some tracks onto a cd with Nero. Every now and then, expecially if I am doing other things on the computer, once Nero reaches 100% and starts the lead out, it just seems to stop. It does not burn any further and the program freezes up, and I cannot eject the cd.
This has never been a problem before and usually all that is required is to restart the computer, then take the cd out once it is booting again. However, this time it has sat in the drive for a few minutes before I got the the computer and shut down. Once I restarted, I tried putting a few other cds (music and data) in the drive and after it makes a few noises (sounds like its kinda triying to work then does nothing) nothing happens. The drive shows up as being empty. However I popped a movie dvd in there and it showed up fine. The driver showed up as not needing updateing and I have restarted a few times.

Am I fucked or is tehre some easy solution to this stupid problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hybrid on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like your drive might be dying dude.

It happens sometimes, how long have you had it?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    probably about a year or so.

god this is a pain in the ass, if it turned out to be a serious problem it would be a bummer cos we cant spare much cash right now and we use the computer a lot.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    How do I go about doing that?

I checked again and there is no new update for the driver, and there is no backup for the rollback either.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't combo drives use separate components for DVD and CD functionality?

Maybe the CD part/laser/giggety-goo is dead.

loflo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thats what I was thinking, cos if dvds play fine and cds dont, I figured maybe theres seperate components for it and the cd one is fucked.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, since you are connected to the internet, there should be some sort of driver download online. Just download that and follow the instructions.

If that doesn't work, I dunno what to say, is it still under warranty?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A similar thing happen to me a month ago when my dvd drive refused to burn discs or detect burnt discs. But it could still read retail discs. I couldn't find a solution so I just bought a replacement.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Im not sure about warrenty, but We still have our old cd drive in the box for the dvd one thats in there now. Can you just plug those in externally and use it like that?

Automatic driver updates come back empty and google search isnt helping, so Im not sure there.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My CD drives would disappear from my components list under my computer, turns out it was some kinda firmware error with my CD-RW drive that was fucking with both of my drives. I ended up just having to buy a new drive. Got a sweet DVD burning drive from sony.

Who manufactures your drive? Was it Samsung? Their drives suck, that was what fucked up mine.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hybrid wrote:
    Im not sure about warrenty, but We still have our old cd drive in the box for the dvd one thats in there now. Can you just plug those in externally and use it like that?

Automatic driver updates come back empty and google search isnt helping, so Im not sure there.
    Well you could always install your older drive along with your newer drive, but that would be a temporary fix. Though if you did that you might be able to find the driver CD that came with your newer drive and reinstall the drivers from that., that might fix the problem, but if it doesn't you might be stuck with the duel drive setup for a while.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I think I found a driver so once its dled Ill check it out and if not I guess we can swap them back and get it fixed or get a new one.

Hybrid on