As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [chat] is for _J_

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Qingu loves his false Scotsmen

that he does

it was just sorta surprising that after all this time he had some hate-blue-balls going then he finds out and then is like "oh, pfft, that's not even a real religion anyway and you aren't really religious" and he used that as a way to dismiss everything i said that was angering him

it was sorta cute in its own way

I dislike his whole philosophy where he gets to be the arbiter of everyone else's identity.

I really get where he is coming from (because daaamn, so much of what people who call themselves Christian has absolutely nothing to do with the scripture it's crazy) but I respond to it differently. Basically, I think Quingu just needs to do some more research about the early history of the religion and especially the various branches it through in the first 300 years. The range of beliefs people stuff into that label nowadays isn't anything new and should not be taken as some kind of neologism or insult.

It's hilarious because the very notion that the religion is founded upon the religious texts is relatively recent.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    kakos is incredibly hairy

the pictures don't capture most of it

i slept in the same bed as him... he seriously has a SUPER thick mat of hair on his chest, shoulders, and back

it's like a luxurious rug

Organichu on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Dead or Alive is a pretty bad game.

There's a lot better ways to see jiggling boobs.

It's actually not that bad. I picked it up off ebay for 99 cents and no shipping/handling and it was worth every penny.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

that he does

it was just sorta surprising that after all this time he had some hate-blue-balls going then he finds out and then is like "oh, pfft, that's not even a real religion anyway and you aren't really religious" and he used that as a way to dismiss everything i said that was angering him

I dislike his whole philosophy where he gets to be the arbiter of everyone else's identity.

I really get where he is coming from (because daaamn, so much of what people who call themselves Christian has absolutely nothing to do with the scripture it's crazy) but I respond to it differently. Basically, I think Quingu just needs to do some more research about the early history of the religion and especially the various branches it through in the first 300 years. The range of beliefs people stuff into that label nowadays isn't anything new and should not be taken as some kind of neologism or insult.

It's hilarious because the very notion that the religion is founded upon the religious texts is relatively recent.

and not applicable to most other religions!

when people use "religion" when they mean to say "Christianity" it's a giant pet peeve of mine (especially as a non-Christian religious dude!) and i often point it out

every time i do, Qingu dismisses me as if it's unimportant

it's so ethnocentric it is mind-blowing

Pony on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's actually not that bad. I picked it up off ebay for 99 cents and no shipping/handling and it was worth every penny.

Okay. It is worth exactly that much money, I will give you that.

Winky on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    What's my thing? I'm not sure what it is. I'm afraid I just kind of blend in with everyone else and no one really notices me.

I won't lie. I was expecting more hair then you had in those pictures.

I fairly recently shorn myself. So, sorry about that. I wasn't at my hairiest.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    he once tried to tell me my mom's not really a catholic because she encouraged her sons to use condoms when they became sexually active

i was like "maaaan, you are so full of yourself it is madness"

Really? I adore those kinds of arguments.

mostly because I love me some Leviticus, and there's probably something in there with which any christian would disagree.

but this only works when a person claims to be a literalist!

when they don't

when they're just like "oh, well, i interpret my faith, i don't see all of what is written at one time as the entire truth"

then it sorta falls apart

Wait.

So it's interpretive...and he's the only one who can correctly interpret it?

Fuck that noise.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    kakos is incredibly hairy

the pictures don't capture most of it

i slept in the same bed as him... he seriously has a SUPER thick mat of hair on his chest, shoulders, and back

it's like a luxurious rug

Don't forget soft. I have very soft fur.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

the roulette is fun

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the problem Qingu has with religion debates is not one exclusive to him

it's actually really common on the internet!

and that's people who can only really argue against religion if it stays rigidly defined in the box they have built for it

if a person isn't a literalist about their stated religion, for example, or don't follow the entirety of all doctrines associated with that religion, and whathaveyou

they sorta lose their ability to argue against it because they aren't sure what they are arguing against anymore

now, some people might see this as the chance instead to ask people stuff about what they believe and address that individually

but some just say "Well, pfft, you aren't really one of those people, then."

that's what Qingu does

he's got his preconceived notions of what religion is and what religious people think and when he has evidence to the contrary, he just dismisses it as being outside the terms he believes he is the authority on defining

I agree. But I would add that Quingu's "preconceived notions" are based on a much better than average knowledge of the bible. Where he gets in trouble is when people are believing things that have no biblical basis or are flatout contradicted therein but still calling themselves Christian / Catholic / whatever.

He sees that as dishonest. I see it as ... well at least as part of a long and time honored tradition that goes right back to the very beginnings of the religion.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What's my thing? I'm not sure what it is. I'm afraid I just kind of blend in with everyone else and no one really notices me.

I will never forget the commie dance. Or the shaved hammer and sickle.

That one time we played D20 Modern over IRC was cool too.

Man, I miss the commie dance. Does anyone have that thing saved somewhere? I lost my copy somewhere in the ages.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

that's what Qingu does

he's got his preconceived notions of what religion is and what religious people think and when he has evidence to the contrary, he just dismisses it as being outside the terms he believes he is the authority on defining

That's fine so long as he has a rigid and constant definitino of what religion IS.

Because then one can point out internal contradictions and nail him.

pointless, because he's lined up his definition in such a way that anything that contradicts it can easily be dismissed as not falling into it

even if they are defined by most other people as falling into it

he basically claims authority over definitions and as long as a person does that it's sorta impossible to talk tot hem

Pony on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

NO ONE GETS TO GO TO SUBWAY AND EAT FRESH NOW!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think that as soon as I finish tagging these albums it is time to sleep.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

What about Quiznos?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I won't lie. I was expecting more hair then you had in those pictures.

I fairly recently shorn myself. So, sorry about that. I wasn't at my hairiest.

I see. Oh well, Chu's story made up for it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

While I was doing laundry some people were talking about working at subway, and it made me want to eat subway.

Not sure what the fuck was wrong with me at that moment, but luckily I did not give in.

_J_ on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am spending so much time taking quizzes on OKC. I think I am one step away from crazy cat lady.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

that he does

and not applicable to most other religions!

when people use "religion" when they mean to say "Christianity" it's a giant pet peeve of mine (especially as a non-Christian religious dude!) and i often point it out

every time i do, Qingu dismisses me as if it's unimportant

it's so ethnocentric it is mind-blowing

Another way to look at is that, for an atheist, the way one encounters religion most often is when people are using it as an excuse to legislate stupid bullshit. And, given that this is an English language board, that means some form of Christianity (or, in some places, Islam).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the problem Qingu has with religion debates is not one exclusive to him

it's actually really common on the internet!

and that's people who can only really argue against religion if it stays rigidly defined in the box they have built for it

if a person isn't a literalist about their stated religion, for example, or don't follow the entirety of all doctrines associated with that religion, and whathaveyou

they sorta lose their ability to argue against it because they aren't sure what they are arguing against anymore

now, some people might see this as the chance instead to ask people stuff about what they believe and address that individually

that's what Qingu does

I agree. But I would add that Quingu's "preconceived notions" are based on a much better than average knowledge of the bible. Where he gets in trouble is when people are believing things that have no biblical basis or are flatout contradicted therein but still calling themselves Christian / Catholic / whatever.

He sees that as dishonest. I see it as ... well at least as part of a long and time honored tradition that goes right back to the very beginnings of the religion.

yep

there's it right there

he hates literalists and fundamentalists because they inevitably believe contradictory and illogical things and their arguments are easily dismantled but they refuse to see reason

but then he hates non-literalists because he doesn't know how to argue with them and sees them as dishonest for not being something he can dismantle with simple knowledge of passages

it's a No True Scotsman reverse suplex

the definition only exists as something he can criticize, everything that he can't falls outside the definition, and he considers himself the final say on the subject

to have the dude straight up say "you're not religious, that's not a religion" to me was pretty amazing to see

it was like "okay man now you are a cartoon character"

Pony on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

What about Quiznos?

I swear to god I will backhand the shit outta you.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    bed

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

While I was doing laundry some people were talking about working at subway, and it made me want to eat subway.

Not sure what the fuck was wrong with me at that moment, but luckily I did not give in.

Subway sammiches are meh.

Their cookies however, are <3

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Okay. It is worth exactly that much money, I will give you that.

Occasionally I'll go on ebay and put a 99 cent bid on a few of the games that look decent. I almost always fail (like ME2 a week after it came out... I just happened to be the first person to bid on it) but sometimes I win on obscurer/older titles. That's how I got Blood Will Tell, too... I know I've won one or two other games that way, but I can't remember.

Anyway, I see it as the sort of thing I'll never get hugely into, but it'd be fun to pick up once a month or so and play a few matches. Definitely worth how little I payed for it from that perspective.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

The problem is that every Subway I have ever entered smells like vomit.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    blargh.

I can't find a good knife

I need one to cut this cheese

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

Having not entered a Subways in the same country you have, this is not a problem for me.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good morning [chat].

It's evening where I am.

YOU ARE WRONG!

That's their fresh bread.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    bed

night

I'm gonna go play ME2 in fact.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Eddie Izzard is hands down one of the funiest comedians ever.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Another way to look at is that, for an atheist, the way one encounters religion most often is when people are using it as an excuse to legislate stupid bullshit. And, given that this is an English language board, that means some form of Christianity (or, in some places, Islam).

sure, i get that, but in that case

stop the faffing about

if you want to pick a fight with Mormons over prop 8

do that

stop using "religion" to say "Christianity"

if your primary experience is with one religion and you know a great deal about it and it infuriates you the way that religion gets bludgeoned about in your society to do stupid bullshit, it's okay to be opinionated and even angry about it

but don't lose perspective

and when people call you out on it, don't pull a No True Scotsman to exclude them from your faffing about

then act surprised when they're more than a little insulted by your ignorance and manipulation of the truth

(the general "you" in this post, not you specifically of course)

Pony on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My problem with Subway has never been the food which, over here, is ok; it's always been that it's really expensive for what it is. Seriously, there's a place in town where I can get a hot, crispy baguette with roast meet and appropriate sauce (e.g. roast chicken and stuffing) for 99p.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »

he really, really is

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

that he does

I would strongly disagree with that statement. The written Tanakh has been important to Judaism since the reign of King Josiah. And it is absolutely central to Rabbinic Judaism (which got started right around the same time as Christianity).

Written scriptures were important to Christianity starting in at least the 2nd century and probably dating back to the time of the Judean War. The idea of a written Canon of scriptures (that includes some writings while excluding others) dates back to the debates with the Marcian "heretics" (who created their own Canon first forcing the proto-orthodox to do so as a response) in the late 2nd and early third century.

After the conflicts with the Marcians, the proto-orthodox would define themselves around what written texts they do and do not believe in (each with their own attendant theologies). And every single form of Christianity still in existence today is descended from the proto-orthodox school of thought.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crow wants to marry Tom Servo!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That’s a low bar.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

yes.

and one of the cleverest and just over all amazing.

Seriously, the guy can do a stand up show of over an hour in another language and still make it work. He is truly great. And he raised a crap load of money for charity by running all over the UK.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    subway isn't bad

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My problem with Subway has never been the food which, over here, is ok; it's always been that it's really expensive for what it is. Seriously, there's a place in town where I can get a hot, crispy baguette with roast meet and appropriate sauce (e.g. roast chicken and stuffing) for 99p.

See, that doesn't exist in America.

Five dollar foot long is pretty much a great deal over here and that's at basically half your British money.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    basically, i encourage people to attack specific targets

general targets are bad

if you are going to bitch about a sort of folk who are doing a thing that piss you off

that is okay

but be specific

hate being included in bitching that doesn't even apply to me

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.