As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Need more people in irc. All the damn time.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SludgeFactorySludgeFactory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Hey, good games Frosteey. Sorry if I sucked more than I normally do...I've got a head full of congestion here and I don't think clarity was in the plans for me today!

Good games. If it makes you feel any better, I thought you were hustling me or something after that match where you played Ken. I think that's the one where you pefected me the first round?

---

Good games Ohvermie, too! Do you remember what I taunted for? I think I was Chun Li. I usually only taunt when something neat happens so I'm pretty sure something neat happened but I can't remember what it was and it is killing me : (

LOL, if only I was hustling you then I would actually be half decent at this, but yeah, that's the round that I perfected you on. I sometimes am able to pull some great stuff out of my sleeve but for whatever reason I'm not very consistent with it...oh and I think it had something to do with your character choice of El Fuerte...at the time I thought it was someone you probably just didn't play as too much.

Shortly after that I think you brought your claw back in and nearly (or did, I don't remember) perfected me. It was sort of laughable how I would get off the ground and it seemed you knew exactly what I was going to do next.

SludgeFactory on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ahh, local definitions of 'mercy round' here is slightly different - it's losing on purpose on round 3 in a 5-round match when you've won the first two rounds.

Yeah, on casuals, I throw rounds and matches when fighting non-Street Fighting friends. Arcades though, I adapt to how the other person plays. Usually I spend some time watching the winning guy fight more and determine if he allows mercy rounds or not.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ahh, local definitions of 'mercy round' here is slightly different - it's losing on purpose on round 3 in a 5-round match when you've won the first two rounds.

Yeah, on casuals, I throw rounds and matches when fighting non-Street Fighting friends. Arcades though, I adapt to how the other person plays. Usually I spend some time watching the winning guy fight more and determine if he allows mercy rounds or not.

I'd generally get mad if someone threw me a round like that. It's a lack of respect, and you won't learn anything, the false hope will probably make you worse. Justin Wong was using a 360 pad for a lot of the PAX tournament, I would have been pretty irritated had he done that against me.

Don't pull punches. Feel free to tell me what I should do or what I'm doing wrong, but don't throw rounds away. It's better for me to get murdered and learn (i.e. Bizazedo).

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man my dhalsim is so bad. he's pretty much the polar opposite of bison. very challenging switch.

if anyone on 360 is just starting out and needs to practice against someone who isn't that great, hit me up - my dhalsim is nowhere near as good as any of the other characters i can play.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've gotten hatemail for performing a Fatality in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3* on Live. Fighting games seem to bring out the silliest goosery in people when they lose. I guess because it's a more direct competition of just you and them instead of a bunch of people like most shooters or whatever.

*Yes, I realize part of that is probably my fault for actually playing UMK3, but it was one of the first fighters on XBLA if I remember right.

Lars on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll probably be on from around 10:30pm PST Evil. I am le awful so it should be a good matchup if you're still on.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll probably be on from around 10:30pm PST Evil. I am le awful so it should be a good matchup if you're still on.

i doubt i'll be on that late, since it'll be 1:30 am here on the east coast, unfortunately.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh... this wait is killing me.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the biggest reason for all the internet hate mail from fighters is because of the layers of depth and the players exposure to them. If you play mostly vs the same 4 friends/family members and you destroy them every time it's pretty heart breaking if you just get stomped on by people online.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Picked up off Pixiv:

cofa.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm surprised you could actually go to that place and make it back alive.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've checked it regularly for years. I keep tabs open for "Street Fighter" and "Makoto" searches lately.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Been a little out of the loop. Any new news in the last week or so?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Been a little out of the loop. Any new news in the last week or so?

All new characters were removed because of infinites on T.Hawk.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I'd generally get mad if someone threw me a round like that. It's a lack of respect, and you won't learn anything, the false hope will probably make you worse. Justin Wong was using a 360 pad for a lot of the PAX tournament, I would have been pretty irritated had he done that against me.

Don't pull punches. Feel free to tell me what I should do or what I'm doing wrong, but don't throw rounds away. It's better for me to get murdered and learn (i.e. Bizazedo).

I agree. This is the main reason im excited for ssf4 since should we have a lobby full of competitive players well be able to get feedback from the outside right away. When im fighting, its tough for me to realise what im doing wrong as opposed to what my opponent is doing wrong or right. Ill acknowledge technical mistakes easily enough and things my opponent does wrong since im watching him on the screen not me.

Gonna be good to find out exactly what my bad habits are.

Im down to give Adon and Makoto a try, maybe Dudley. The other new characters dont interest me as much. Also I think Gen will be a serious secondary still even if he plays completely different. As long as his normal attacks are kickass then he'll have a shot at competitive play.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »

I agree. This is the main reason im excited for ssf4 since should we have a lobby full of competitive players well be able to get feedback from the outside right away. When im fighting, its tough for me to realise what im doing wrong as opposed to what my opponent is doing wrong or right. Ill acknowledge technical mistakes easily enough and things my opponent does wrong since im watching him on the screen not me.

Im down to give Adon and Makoto a try, maybe Dudley. The other new characters dont interest me as much. Also I think Gen will be a serious secondary still even if he plays completely different. As long as his normal attacks are kickass then he'll have a shot at competitive play.

I used to throw rounds in Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct, but our town was so small, we all knew each other, and I just wanted my opponent to get the most out of his quarter.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    StokedUp wrote: »

I used to throw rounds in Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct, but our town was so small, we all knew each other, and I just wanted my opponent to get the most out of his quarter.

Yeah, mostly this. Among all of my friends I get to fight against, there's only one guy I never have to hold back. The rest never really wanted to get seriously good in SF, so I have to adapt.

In our arcades, the "mercy third round", there's two flavors: there's the first, where the round proceeds normally until the losing dude is almost dead, then the winner lets himself get KO'd. Basically to extend the fight a little longer. The other one, something I only see and haven't personally encountered, basically throws the round from the get-go, with the winner merely moving forward and catching fists with his face until the next round; I have no idea why people do this one.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh goodie. Just downloaded BlazBlue Portable to tide me over for the next 2 weeks. Pretty good port, but the sprites aren't as crisp as Guilty Gear.

Kinda don't get that...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great games Poltergeist! I love an even match and we got to use a ton of characters. I noticed you had a bit of trouble with command throws at first but I think you started jumping out of knockdowns later on. Not sure if you know this but you can also throw Abel while he's doing rolls, so if I do one right up to you just grab me out of it.

E: in regards to mercy rounds or sandbagging I'll switch to someone I'm not as good with if it will make the fight more even.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    huge impression of claw from Agent Hoy who played at the London preview event:
    NORMAL
    Vega has a new jumping arc, he jumps higher than he used to.

His mask and claw stays on a LOT longer. Those honda slaps fazed me a lot less knowing my mask was keeping with me through them

DF.MK, its an overhead, felt so good to break Honda defence with something more than a bloody grab. although a lot of people are just thinking of it in terms of one hit it means that charge characters lose their down back charge limiting some options such as Honda butt slam

MK seems to come out faster, might be going mad though so dont hold me on that one but nice if so as its another good ranged poke.
    SPECIALS
    Vega wall dive

The wall dive has changed in a couple of ways, firstly the way it travels to walls is different. the EX version hits a hell of a lot better. for example I could punish honda after a Cr MP about mid screen while he was crouching. normally you would fly right over but it seems they have fixed that.

Also it now goes a lot higher up. Not really too sure how much this will change, it seems to have Pros and cons. Pros being easier to escape the quick punishs. Such as abels jump back HP now it would not be an instant hit. the problem being that it now seems harder to do izuna mix ups. this is probably down to me not being used to the new arc of the dive but it feels like it could be giving more time for the opponent to react with say a Dragon punch.

you can rejoice though cause the trades from the wall dives are so much better. when the slash trades with ryus dragon punch he knocks you both back and resets more or less full screen apart from each other. so its a lot safer! no more dragon punch to ultra.

The scarlet terror seems to have been improved as well. I didn't really get to grips using it in enough situations but it seemed to beat some pokes it couldn't before. if i remember right it beat ryu doing a crouching MK, not on wakeup though.

SUPER
    Seems the same to be honest, the only difference may be that the ARC of the wall dive is changed as vega goes higher from wall dives.
    ULTRA 1 Bloody High Claw
    This has changed a hell of a lot. not only does it hit on the way up to a wall but it also hits a lot higher than before. this means it works as a great anti air. as the line of attack is so much higher than before it will hit a lot more people on jump, at the moment his line of attack quite ofter goes under players reaching for the bottom corner of the wall. for example of an akuma does a jump fireball at the top of his jump same time as your ultra, in the current game you go under, in SSF4 you will punish as the end of the slash aims at about mid screen - top corner.

I didn't really get a chance to properly try to combo ultra 1 in many situations but what I did gather was...

It does not combo off DF.HK (hop kick)

It does not combo off light scarlet terror (only got to try this once and it may of been a miss but don't think this will work.

It works better as an anti air, don't rely on it too much to work like an ex wall dive hit on a grounded player, it has different properties. for example at full screen the ultra will not hit on the way up to the wall, it will miss and you will just bloody high over there heads back to where you started. Not sure about taller characters like Sagat but in general not as useful to use like that.

didnt even think to look at the damage... sorry guys!

Ultra 2 Splendid Claw

it is pretty splendid to be honest, it slides through fireballs of any height, tried against juri's one that is practically on the floor and it works. however its only for a short time after start up when your able to do this.

its still useful to use against fireballers even at full screen because you can dash ultra.

amazing as an anti air, you can punish jump ins very nicely.

seems to hit low, so down block is needed.

Damage is not amazing. if you hit it without any combo it's an ok ultra but it seems to damage scale like a bitch.

Does not seem to combo from DF HK or after scarlet terror hits

Claw in Super is definitely looking so much better than vanilla Claw.

This makes me a happy man.

Kelor on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUZAACkZ78

Well well well well Well!

Did they actually cancel U2 from st HP or is it a link? The recovery on HP looked way too fast. o_O

edit: oh wait, he canceled the HP into a teleport and THEN cancel that into U2.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great games Poltergeist! I love an even match and we got to use a ton of characters. I noticed you had a bit of trouble with command throws at first but I think you started jumping out of knockdowns later on. Not sure if you know this but you can also throw Abel while he's doing rolls, so if I do one right up to you just grab me out of it.

E: in regards to mercy rounds or sandbagging I'll switch to someone I'm not as good with if it will make the fight more even.

Yeah great fights man. Had some fun running through different characters and all that, you get so used to fighting nothing but ryu/ken when you play randoms, and you really get so used to all the jumping and srk spam its weird playing a normal match lol, had a blast, play again soon. Should be around tomorrow.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Did they actually cancel U2 from st HP or is it a link? The recovery on HP looked way too fast. o_O

video description:
    You have to cancel the FP into teleport and immediately cancel the teleport into ultra.

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

video description:
    You have to cancel the FP into teleport and immediately cancel the teleport into ultra.

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

I just can't get over how stupid that ultra looks. I mean, there are goofy ultras, like either of Hakan's or Dan's U2, but seriously...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dan's U2 ain't goofy.

Goofiest so far has got to be Seth's U2.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dan's U2 ain't goofy.

He flies backwards half a screen. It's fucking hilarious.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dan's U2 ain't goofy.

He flies backwards half a screen. It's fucking hilarious.

If you jump over Dan when he initiates Ultra 2, he should fly into you and do a shit ton of damage.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, but that's dan though. It's expected.

Meanwhile seth does the limbo and shoots out a hurricane.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Think about it. If Seth faced the other way instead of the way he does it now, we'll be referring to his Ultra as his Tornado Crotch.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Picked up off Pixiv:
    cofa.jpg

Thats actually pretty awesome.

Which reminds me, i haven't checked there in a while

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Think about it. If Seth faced the other way instead of the way he does it now, we'll be referring to his Ultra as his Tornado Crotch.

I WILL find a way to mod the tornado coming out his asshole.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone else feel that T.Hawk and DeeJay are TOTALLY over-shadowed by way cooler characters?

I actually even forgot about them :|

Snare on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Snare wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that T.Hawk and DeeJay are TOTALLY over-shadowed by way cooler characters?

My best pal has talked about noone but Deejay since the game was announced :p

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUZAACkZ78[/vidurl]

video description:

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

I wonder if you can input this as

HP 232kkk2kkk. If so, probably not that hard?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Snare wrote: »

Man, where have you been?

T-hawk is getting plenty of coverage now.

Mostly in the lines of "OMG WTF DAMAGE".

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of T-Hawk, I have a random question. Is the range on his 360 throw still super short? I remember overestimating its range in HDR all the time and whiffing it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Poor Blanka... now proud owner of two bland looking ultras.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Speaking of T-Hawk, I have a random question. Is the range on his 360 throw still super short? I remember overestimating its range in HDR all the time and whiffing it.

This jab command throw in hdr has pretty decent range.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

video description:

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

I just can't get over how stupid that ultra looks. I mean, there are goofy ultras, like either of Hakan's or Dan's U2, but seriously...

I will never be able to do that in a real fight. Training, sure after a bunch of tries, for realz, not a chance.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page