As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Large [chat]dron Collider

1565758596062»

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha Echo who is that? Is that Tube?

Klykka actually, creepy sig man makes up for it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Tell that man I love him very much.

God does Warcry whine.

Leitner on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010

It's Klyka over in G&T.

But man, I'd pay for a weekly Tube Reading His Inbox movie.

Echo on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Morninglord: How could you possibly defend that paper though? There is very little archeologicial evidense on the subject what what little there is seems (from everything I have read) to show no discontinuities. There are times when the pace of change seems to be very slow (almost none for hundreds of thousands of years) and times when the pace of change seems to be very fast but not a discontinuity. Just a faster pace.

Course it's damn hard to infer anything about psychology from the subset of tools that survive plus the few intact skulls that show some impressions of what the brain was like.

But again, the evidense that I have seen related to his case seems to be either non-existant or against him.

There's two different discontinuities.

One is a slice across time. Take animals now. Right now. Take humans now. Right now. Compare them. You see a huge functional difference.

Second discontinuity.

Across timespans. To say there is this second discontinuity is to say humans did not evolve their better reasoning from animals

He's saying the first one. He's not saying the second one.

Aaaah. Ok. That makes more sense.

But also kind of ... trivial. Because I bet you could find a huge number of discontinuities between different species as they are right now. And only looking at one slice of time means what he is talking about is completely unlrelated to evolution.

EG: Compare how one of the great apes interacts with a mirror over time compared to any other animal. There are tons of such discontinuities between contemporary species.

while this is true, there is a much larger jump between humans and nonhumans than the discontinuities seen between other species.
    so it's like, there's all these little doggies and kittens all playing around being smarter than each other in their little animal ways but if you put a human in the picture, even by age 5, we are like a big einstein godzilla combination wrecking up the places with our intelligences.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    That would be Klyka.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hell, you could argue there is such a "discontinuity" between animals that have binocular vision and those who do not. wooooo, we have a visual system that can reconstruct 3d images out of two offset 2d inputs and most birds and lizards don't. DISCONTINUITY!

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah dear god. Crow with Tom Servo's voice and vice versa is kind of freaky.

Silas Brown on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's Klyka over in G&T.

But man, I'd pay for a weekly Tube Reading His Inbox movie.

Nocturne on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    i often fantasize about throwing myself on the tracks in a crowded subway station

Organichu on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's why I'm glad I don't play bc2 on the pc. Yesterday pancake was whining about alternative strats for blowing up mcoms as they "take away the fun" and I'm like "Man if I'm winning I have fucking fun".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Okay as a hypothesis I'll nod my head and say "Okay, possible, I don't believe it, but not unreasonable."

As a truth claim I have to go "Where's your evidence, mister sassypants!"

yeah that's my major beef.

he's made a good analysis, but his solution is really just a reexplanation of the problem rather than a solution.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sweet we got an offer on our house which has been on sale for a couple of weeks.

And we just put an offer on a house that just went on the market.

I just want my house to be sold now so I don't need to keep everything as neat and tidy as possible.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that is hilarious

Senjutsu on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Tell that man I love him very much.

God does Warcry whine.

I was tempted to ask Tube if we could have a 360 only thread for BC2. But then I'd have to leave some good PC folks behind.

But seriously. That thread was fucking ridiculous for 30 or so pages.

It was the PC equivalent to Final Destination, Mario vs Mario, No Items.

And 15 pages of people complaining about Flippy.

Sheep on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I had a dog that used to bark at you when you sneezed, when you got a cold he was obnoxious.

My dog is fascinated with sneezes. If you sneeze, he runs up to you no matter where he was or what he was doing and sticks his nose right in your face. Like smelling it will reveal the mystery of sneezing. It's pretty adorable.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited March 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

A few hours ago I shot Flippy in the head several times. :^:

Echo on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

I was tempted to ask Tube if we could have a 360 only thread for BC2. But then I'd have to leave some good PC folks behind.

But seriously. That thread was fucking ridiculous for 30 or so pages.

It was the PC equivalent to Final Destination, Mario vs Mario, No Items.

does flippy's cranium-ventilating reign of terror hold sway there, too

Rust on
    edited March 2010
    Hell, you could argue there is such a "discontinuity" between animals that have binocular vision and those who do not. wooooo, we have a visual system that can reconstruct 3d images out of two offset 2d inputs and most birds and lizards don't. DISCONTINUITY!

yes, you could. and then serious people would go out and run experiments and work out how this may have evolved and why it is so.

this is what he is trying to do for intelligence.

it's not just that he's saying woo discontinuity.

Morninglord on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BC2 multiplayer is kind of ridiculous

Sarksus on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so who is it that is using "mate" like a fucking punctuation mark

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    does flippy's cranium-ventilating reign of terror hold sway there, too

He seems to be playing Assault a lot.

'course, you can get headshots with all weapons in BC2. I have about 25% headshots with my kills with the Abakan. I <3 that rifle.

Echo on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Is this what aspergers is like with an accent?

Edit: Oh my god, read the title of the video.

<3<3<3

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

*snip of the quote tree*

while this is true, there is a much larger jump between humans and nonhumans than the discontinuities seen between other species.
    so it's like, there's all these little doggies and kittens all playing around being smarter than each other in their little animal ways but if you put a human in the picture, even by age 5, we are like a big einstein godzilla combination wrecking up the places with our intelligences.

Well, yeah, no question there. Though I think there's a good case to be made that a human today is not all that much smarter than one 100,000 years ago which isn't much smarter than a Neanderthal (ok, so we are not directly related to them, we both evolved from a common ancestor further back, but they are the most successful of the archaic humans), which aren't much smarter than a homo erectus etc...

If there is a jump it would be between homo erectus and hablis IMO. And even then it's a matter of degree.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

The user Klyka.

He's reading posts of Warcry, who is Australian.

Sarksus on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Well in a way it is.

Nocturne on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2010
    Why can't I have everything?

215555917_qmfih-L-2.jpg

Elki on